Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-05-2005, 10:01 PM   #1
RSgerry
Well hello Mr Fancypants

Unhappy ants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the little bastards have declared war on me for some reason. they are in my patio, but worst of all, they have set up home in the Falcon somewhere. it is painful only being able to spray a couple at a time and then having to wash the spray off the paint. especially as they like to come out at night when washing a car is not really practical. can anyone give me some advice? i dont want to strip the car down if i can avoid it. boiling water works a treat on the ones in the patio, but if i pour boiling water on the car, what damage am i likey to do? will panels warp, what about plastic bumpers and paintwork?

any advice will be greatly appreciated.
RSgerry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2005, 10:22 PM   #2
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

Best thing you can do is move what has attracted them there in the first place, only problem you'll have is if said attraction is seen as a house by the ants.
If they are there to live, move house.
Don't park the car on dirt/grass or near trees.
They may go away if you get down & ask them nicely. If they refuse, ask to speak to the ant in charge.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:29 PM   #3
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

don't park your car with the nose AGAINST greenery. If you've got them in your car already, it might be a hard job to find where they're nesting.
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2005, 10:37 PM   #4
prabbit

Default my sympathy

If you are reasonably sure that the ants have setup "house" in your car they can be difficult to find and eradicate, here are some suggestions.

First indentify the ant in question, take a couple in a zippy bag to a zoo, museum or your local pest exterminator (an entamologist is best) some ants forage at night, some during the day, they also have preferences in food sources.

Next on a small lid mix about 1/2 a teaspoon of their favourite diet, place this where you see them the most, check every hour, (at night with a torch in necessary) you should find a steady stream of ants comming and going then dissapearing into the bodywork somewhere, this is the point you need to attack.

Then it's off to the local car wash, (the DIY with the high pressure wand type) and attack the area in and around where the nest is located with the wash system set to "hot suds with pressure" the detergent is alkaline and ants are acidic but you need to flush out what ever nest has been built and if possible kill the queen.

If all this is too difficult you can go to your local garden center and get some ant powder that contains 30g/kg Chlorpyrifos spread this lightly wherever you see the ants (including your patio) read the safety directions.

Regards Prof. Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSgerry
the little bastards have declared war on me for some reason. they are in my patio, but worst of all, they have set up home in the Falcon somewhere. it is painful only being able to spray a couple at a time and then having to wash the spray off the paint. especially as they like to come out at night when washing a car is not really practical. can anyone give me some advice? i dont want to strip the car down if i can avoid it. boiling water works a treat on the ones in the patio, but if i pour boiling water on the car, what damage am i likey to do? will panels warp, what about plastic bumpers and paintwork?

any advice will be greatly appreciated.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2005, 11:03 PM   #5
RSgerry
Well hello Mr Fancypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADED6
Best thing you can do is move what has attracted them there in the first place, only problem you'll have is if said attraction is seen as a house by the ants.
If they are there to live, move house.
Don't park the car on dirt/grass or near trees.
They may go away if you get down & ask them nicely. If they refuse, ask to speak to the ant in charge.
LOL...thats been my problem. i have been abusive and called them names.
RSgerry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2005, 11:13 PM   #6
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

/me awaits BlueAU to reply............................

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2005, 11:45 PM   #7
xrgran

You could try 'ant baits'. Mortein have a good one out. It is like a roach bait but smaller, in packs of four. They are about $3/4? Just put them in the car in a safe spot where it won't be disturbed and the little blighters walk into it then they get covered in the poison and take it back to the ant nest and nicely share it with all their little friends, till they all drop dead! :hihi:

Ant sand also works well but is a bit messier to use and not really safe to have around if there are kids about...

Both of these items can be bought from Coles, Woolworths, K Mart etc.

Hope this helps and good luck!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2005, 12:19 AM   #8
donno
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just cover their trails with talcum powder. Gets in their feelers and they go practically blind.

Comming soon: T04Z, plenum, TrueTrac.
donno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2005, 12:32 AM   #9
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Give the car to a detailer for the works, and if the ants remain, take it back until the detalier has cleaned the problem away!
Old 06-05-2005, 12:33 AM   #10
Sundeep
Banned

Freakin ants.

My EA had them when I got it off my Mum, nothing major just the occasional "hello" here and there lol. Pulled the ECU out for some reason one day and bingo, nesting under there. Bit of Mortein and a vacuum cleaner ended that saga happily

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2005, 01:32 AM   #11
InitialD
Low and Loud

Yes I too had them in my EA when i got it, as it had been sitting outside in a front yard for 3mths.

there were LOTS of them, under EVERYTHING. When we removed the old interior it was like something from a horror movie.

They had nested in 4 areas and I ended up removing them via Hi Pressure Hose action and some ANT RID

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2005, 01:42 AM   #12
Jaeger
Getting There

I had ants set up under my battery, in the battery cover thingy.
These were singapore ants and they are nasty buggers.

I don't if it was just these ants but they seemed attracted to copper and the electrical stuff.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:22 AM   #13
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by smciner1
/me awaits BlueAU to reply............................

Lol me too

Ants like him
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2005, 08:36 AM   #14
Twisted
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont_Krissy
Lol me too

Ants like him
Both of ya's shuddup! Stupid damn ants! Havent had a recurrance(sp?) yet but hopefully they have packed up shop and taken off!

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT
FordForums.com.au
Hats, Stickers & Patches are now available!
Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2005, 09:10 AM   #15
AU1XLS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Dont worry about this post

Last edited by AU1XLS; 06-05-2005 at 09:11 AM.
AU1XLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2005, 10:21 AM   #16
Kryton

park it where you usually do at night and pour a bottle of antrid on the ground beside the car. they will flock to it and take it back to their nest. they will all die. then its vacuum cleaner time.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post