Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-10-2006, 02:55 PM   #1
XzLr8
Banned

Default Employment help

Alright guys i need a hand looking for employment in the retail/sales department.
Im going to be studying business managment next year (enrolment is in december) and im unsure of how to go about getting a position in managment. Obviouslly i need to start small and work up but im not sure on how i go about it.
I am 18 ( will be 19 in february) and very keen to get started in the industry a.s.a.p. I dont have any previous business experience (which doesnt really help) as i have been cooking for the past 2 and a half years. My reason for leaving cooking is ive had enough of the kitchen and i think its time for me to get a real career on my back and to experience something completely different.
What would my best bet to get started in this line of work be??

And if you know anyone looking for a keen, young, fresh minded employee please p.m. me. Im located in the western suburbs of melbourne and am very willing to travel. Any job opportunities welcome, im not to fussed.

Cheers in advance guys, Will.

XzLr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2006, 03:26 PM   #2
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

to be completely honest get a normal job in retail/sales either some electrical store that you wouldnt mind working for in the long run, or in car sales either way your right start small, apply for a fulltime job see what its like, apply everywhere and anywhere you'd like to work.

also im pretty sure you'll only move up to management WHEN you finish the course not before or during.

Anyways The Good Guys i work for a the best bunch of people, good working environment (no you dont have to sing like the ad) and Brand names give you FREE pizza, beer, pens and other FREE stuff...ill assume Betta, Chandlers, Harvey's, Retravision is the same.

In your resume or CV dont say that you dont have any experience say that you keenly interested in becoming a team member in your business and furthering my skills in Retail sales....rar rar rar. also tell them youve been cooking for the last 2.5 yrs and no one has died from it so you ARE reliable..lol (not in resume though)

EDIT: EMAIL or resume and in person will get you through their door faster it worked for me

good luck

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2006, 03:50 PM   #3
BlackLS

If you have been a customer of some sort you do have retail experience. ;)
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2006, 05:29 PM   #4
XzLr8
Banned

ok setout of the resume is as follows

got my schooling history

job experience

awards and certificates

personal info

^^^with all that in mind how many pages is a good resume cause mines probably going to be around 2 pages..
Old 26-10-2006, 05:33 PM   #5
foxtrot
Blood, sweat & tears

2 pages is perfect employers dont want to read through a bunch of **** just a quick overview... not TOO Breif though
Momo Gear Knob
Schmick Pioneer Headunit w/ Dolphinvision :
4 Channel Kicker Amp to decent speakers;
Alpine Monoblock to Pioneer Subwoofer;
Tuned to perfect clarity-

Outside:

Pure Sexy Falcon w/18" BA XR8 Factory Option Mags
Clear Side Indicators

Coming soon:
Pedders lowered Sports Ryders all 'round
Extractors/Exhaust/Hi-Flo Cat
foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2006, 05:35 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XzLr8
ok setout of the resume is as follows

got my schooling history

job experience

awards and certificates

personal info

^^^with all that in mind how many pages is a good resume cause mines probably going to be around 2 pages..
Try it in this order:

1 Personal info

2 Schooling History

3 Job Info

4 Awards and Certificates

If you did work experience through school that counts as job info too.
If you want to get into retail, try Coles Myer, especially now as theyre recruiting for Christmas/New Year. They own heaps of brands and if you miss out on one store you still might get another.
Old 26-10-2006, 05:42 PM   #7
XzLr8
Banned

ok my bit of background history n all that about myself how long should that be??? mines sitting at about a paragraph and a half...
Old 26-10-2006, 05:45 PM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
ok my bit of background history n all that about myself how long should that be??? mines sitting at about a paragraph and a half...
There isn't really a right or wrong length, as long as it's true and accurate and doesnt crap on for ages. Just make sure you say enough but not too much or too little.
Old 26-10-2006, 05:51 PM   #9
XR6TickfordBoy
Now XR8TickfordBoy

Mate if its retail sales u want to get into, find an industry u are interested in such as take-away/automotive/electrical etc. then apply for any positions u can find and if u are a hard worker and express ur interest in management then u will work ur way up quickly. I work at Krispy Kreme at Fountain Gate and they are so desperate for managers they are hiring 18 year olds and training them up. Heaps of stores opening so plenty of opportunity, so another good point look for growing companies as they will have the best opportunities. Good Luck!
EF XR8- Respray in Monza Red with Clear Coat, Custom Rear Bar, AU V8, EL GT MAF, Rebuilt and Strengthened Auto with Stage 2 Shift Kit, 2,500RPM Stallie and tranny cooler, Rebuilt Diff with 4.11 Gears, Custom Radiator, King Ultra Lows, Pedders Shocks, NL Concorde Rims.
XR6TickfordBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2006, 05:58 PM   #10
XzLr8
Banned

looking more at electrical and clothing either one will be good. going to apply to myer, goodguys and a few other stores i got my eyes on. Thanks you all so much for your help, i do appreciate it. your a bunch of lifesavers :
Old 28-10-2006, 04:58 PM   #11
XzLr8
Banned

ok ima : this thread back up. Every employeer is insisiting on "extensive product knowledge". I have a certain knowledge on most products, but how serious are employers about this?? e.g. good guys...
Old 28-10-2006, 07:32 PM   #12
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

go to jbhifi.com.au and click the "jobs" link. There may be an opportunity for you there!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2006, 10:34 PM   #13
XR6TickfordBoy
Now XR8TickfordBoy

Quote:
ok ima : this thread back up. Every employeer is insisiting on "extensive product knowledge". I have a certain knowledge on most products, but how serious are employers about this?? e.g. good guys...
They say that to make sure the majority of applicants will know what they're doing. Apply and if u get an interview just keep telling them ur willing to learn as much as u can! I got a mate who knew what he wnted to do (like urself) but all employers stated they wanted a uni degree, he only had a slightly related tafe diploma. But he would keep applying and when he got interviews he showed that he was highly motivated to learn and would be an asset to the company, now he earns good money and free travel, loves his job!
Just be confident in urself and ur abilities and someone will give u an opportunity!
EF XR8- Respray in Monza Red with Clear Coat, Custom Rear Bar, AU V8, EL GT MAF, Rebuilt and Strengthened Auto with Stage 2 Shift Kit, 2,500RPM Stallie and tranny cooler, Rebuilt Diff with 4.11 Gears, Custom Radiator, King Ultra Lows, Pedders Shocks, NL Concorde Rims.
XR6TickfordBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2006, 11:51 PM   #14
XzLr8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddarby
go to jbhifi.com.au and click the "jobs" link. There may be an opportunity for you there!
already applied LoL, and sounds good xr6tickfordboy. Ill just keep applying then. Cheers boys.
Old 29-10-2006, 07:22 PM   #15
RegSpec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you considered a career in Ford spare parts?
Good parts managers are hard to find and can easily lead to better positions within dealer management.
New ride....07' RSpec manual Typhoon in Winter White....factory sunroof, Premium sound, Process West intercooler, upsized tubing, valve springs, 1000cc injectors, Delphi intank pump,*modified turbo, 4" dump, 5" cat, dual 2 1/2" Xforce exhaust, Mal Wood Opt 5 clutch, Herrod shifter, Ozrace coilovers with adj. Whiteline bars, 6 spot Brembos,
Edit by Crescent Motorsport.....382rwkws @ 1150nms on E85....
RegSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2006, 07:47 PM   #16
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Alright guys i need a hand looking for employment in the retail/sales department.
Im going to be studying business managment next year (enrolment is in december) and im unsure of how to go about getting a position in managment. Obviouslly i need to start small and work up but im not sure on how i go about it.
Any job opportunities welcome, im not to fussed.

Cheers in advance guys, Will.
Ok, not sure if this will be a hit or a miss with you but here goes.

You write you want a position in management, then later re how to set out a resume etc.

Over many years i have hired many managers at all levels, and the resume to me is not that important, it is how the person presents in confidence and their attitude etc ( not to cocky ), as i need to see this person has what it takes to make decissions, lead and inspire a group of people, can set the lead for others to follow, has a dress sense to match the position amongst other things.

I do not look for the person who can do the job straight up but one that has the potential to learn and fit in.

So the first bit of useless advice is where you write i am willing to start small, you need to think and act big, the biggest mistake people make is when starting out they look at all of the lowest paid jobs in the desired field and sales / management is the worst for this, and this is due to lack of self belief or confidence and for a management role this is not good and if you came to me in that mode you would get what you were presenting for.

If it is you wan't management you need to look up the ladder and push your boundaries and go in strong.

an example of this is i never applied for a job under 6 figures, this does a few things first there are not many people who believe at this level, secondly i went in with the attitude ( in a subtle not cocky way ) that it was allready my job.

I never lost one and always managed to up their asking price above what they were offering.

I don't expect you to go in that hard at the start but you would want to up the anti on your mark and go from there and it may take a few attempts to get it right but you must believe and then carry it out if you really want to go down this path.

It was common in the old days to think that sales was the easy job when you could get no other job, well this is nothing more than a myth, as a good sales / manager ( at the high end ) is very experienced and is one of the hadest jobs going as you deal with people the hardest thing to do and get it right.

I hope some of the above refocuses your attention from the resume to your personal belief in your ability and if you took more time to study books relating to people skills etc you will further your carrer faster.

and again

You are a product of your thought's and You have the ability to choose what you think.

Whatever you wan't is possible.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 02:47 PM   #17
XzLr8
Banned

^^^ thought that through today and went job searching, first place i went good guys after a 20 minute chat bang got the job lol. Exactlly what i wanted doing admin work, sales work and factory work bit of everything. Kept talking to her like i had the job n her being an ex-cook made it soooo much easier so as of the 8th of november i will be helping to set up the new good-guys at D.F.O which opens on the 23rd (sorry for advertising) im really excited should be good. Cheers for your help boys, there aint nothin FF cant solve :