Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-10-2006, 07:43 PM   #1
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Car washing - SA water restictions- that begin midnight tonight

Just caught the tail end of story on the news tonight. It mentioned car washing with a bucket. Am I allowed to wash it down with a trigger hose on my lawn b4 washing (get access dust of etc) & after to get suds off? :

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2006, 08:04 PM   #2
cupic
Nikon

NO but I can see SA caught up with NSW VIC and I think QLD
no using hoses on cars no matter where car is at
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2006, 08:08 PM   #3
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You have to use a bucket to wash the car, and yes you can rinse with a hose fitted with a trigger nozzle.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2006, 09:03 PM   #4
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Don't know about SA but QLD level 3 water resrictions are buckets only...no hose, not even to rinse.

I did this last weekend to my Ford Escape. I reckon I would have used more water doing it that way.

The idea however is to make it a deterrent to doing it. With the extra water and effort it took me I am sure 20-30 other people could not be bothered or perhaps do it less than they would ordinarily.
Old 22-10-2006, 09:20 PM   #5
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why is everyone mentioning other state restrictions?
The answer to your question is- In SA you can still use a hose fitted with a trigger nozzle to rinse the car.

2019 MG ZS Essence
2022 Kia Stinger GT
Old 22-10-2006, 09:27 PM   #6
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can rinse after but not before

Quote:
WASHING CARS AND BOATS

Water must not be used to wash a vehicle except by means of a commercial car wash, or a bucket filled directly from a tap.

A hand held hose fitted with a trigger nozzle or a high pressure low volume water cleaners may be used to rinse a vehicle after washing it with water from a bucket.
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2006, 09:28 PM   #7
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

www.watercare.net/water_restrict.php

2019 MG ZS Essence
2022 Kia Stinger GT
Old 22-10-2006, 09:52 PM   #8
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
Don't know about SA but QLD level 3 water resrictions are buckets only...no hose, not even to rinse.

I did this last weekend to my Ford Escape. I reckon I would have used more water doing it that way.

The idea however is to make it a deterrent to doing it. With the extra water and effort it took me I am sure 20-30 other people could not be bothered or perhaps do it less than they would ordinarily.
I wash my car weekly, regardless.. It is my second biggest investment I have next to my house.. So I will care for all my cars by washing them regulary.... By the way I use a trigger hose... that way I only use about 20-25 ltrs of water per car.. Backets cause you to use10 times as much water again...

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2006, 10:34 PM   #9
SVR73
Mr Polish

Jabba's right - buckets are far worse than hoses
6 to 10 pattern trigger guns are an excellent choice
I have three, each cost me about five bucks

You can still use pressure washers at home - only 7 litres per minute
I'll be foam gunning my paint first instead of a water rinse
Old 22-10-2006, 10:39 PM   #10
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

At least you'll be able to use a trigger hose.

The new Stage 2 water restrictions here in Vic (to be introduced on 1st Nov) will only allow rinsing with a bucket or pressure wash. When we were on restrictions previously it was proven in media programs several times that using a bucket to rinse used more water than a trigger hose. But the morons in govt choose to ignore this.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2006, 12:00 AM   #11
BAFalconXT
Sold...

Only five people were fined last year in SA for breaching water restrictions, so I wouldnt even worry about it. I cant remember how many times I saw the sprinklers on in the parklands in the middle of 40 degree days. Just get one of those water guns, they are worth there $10 in fun.
Old 23-10-2006, 08:59 AM   #12
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't use a bucket .. use a watering can. You can wash a car with about four watering can refills (one "fill" and three "refills"). Telling people to use a bucket is a stupid idea. It wastes more water than it saves!!
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2006, 07:59 PM   #13
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmont1998
That's says rinsing with a hose fitted with a trigger in SA is all good.

Cheers & Thanks :

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2006, 09:25 PM   #14
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

Yes you can use high pressure wash as they use a lot less water,so get yourself a good Karcher or any other brand,and just use your common sense and don't get too close with the high pressure when washing your car.
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2006, 09:34 PM   #15
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
Don't use a bucket .. use a watering can. You can wash a car with about four watering can refills (one "fill" and three "refills"). Telling people to use a bucket is a stupid idea. It wastes more water than it saves!!
I do the same.
Old 23-10-2006, 09:36 PM   #16
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 320
Yes you can use high pressure wash as they use a lot less water,so get yourself a good Karcher or any other brand,and just use your common sense and don't get too close with the high pressure when washing your car.
Cheers John
Yeah, but pressure washers take a lot longer to rinse all the suds off, as it needs a certain volume of water to get rid of them. Trigger nozzle seems more gentle on the polished surfaces and gets rid of the suds quicker.
I have a pressure wash, but much prefer the trigger nozzle. Doesnt really use that much more water anyway if you dont rinse too long, also quicker to set up and put away after.
Old 23-10-2006, 10:00 PM   #17
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
Yeah I've been using a watering can. MUCH MUCH better than the bucket. It rinses better and uses less water. Not to mention I can target spots with the nozzle.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2006, 10:48 PM   #18
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Yeah, but pressure washers take a lot longer to rinse all the suds off, as it needs a certain volume of water to get rid of them. Trigger nozzle seems more gentle on the polished surfaces and gets rid of the suds quicker.
I have a pressure wash, but much prefer the trigger nozzle. Doesnt really use that much more water anyway if you dont rinse too long, also quicker to set up and put away after.
Unfortunately trigger hoses are banned in Victoria with the stage 2 water restrictions that's why getting a high pressure system allows you to wash the car properly without the need for buckets etc.
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2006, 10:57 PM   #19
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our water restrictions say we have to use a trigger hose. When it gets to Stage 3 or 4 its buckets only.

I use one bucket to wash the car and a small bucket with a sponge which I fill twice to do the wheels. Quick trigger spray and a microfibre towel to dry and bob's your uncle.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2006, 10:57 PM   #20
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 320
Unfortunately trigger hoses are banned in Victoria with the stage 2 water restrictions that's why getting a high pressure system allows you to wash the car properly without the need for buckets etc.
Cheers John
Banned only after 1st. Nov. Don't know why though, provided they are not used for an unnecessarily long time when rinsing.

I think I'll try the watering can trick to see how it goes, before I get my pressure washer out.

Perhaps I still need my pressure washer though for underneath the guards etc. Wish I could use my trigger hose....Much better.
Old 23-10-2006, 11:20 PM   #21
Greenhorn
Pimpin My VK

i dont see what all the fuss is about. ive been washing with a bucket since january and i can wash my car with 2 buckets in about 1 1/2 to 2 hours
Greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 11:18 PM   #22
SVR73
Mr Polish

I have decided to do one autopian wash at home and then do three warm water/shampoo then high pressure water rinses at golden grove pro wash before I do another one at home.

The high pressure does take some of the paints slickness away but a quick going over with spray sealant as I dry fixes that
Top place, good water and actually has covered detail bays for you to dry your car.

Saves about 40 - 50 litres of water each time I go there.

I take a couple of microfibre wash mitts and a 500ml bottle and sprayer filled with my favourite car shampoo and water plus a lambswool wheel brush along with me to the pro wash and clean my wheels with that, then spray the mitts, rinse the body with the warm soapy water, then blast the mitt with it and lightly go over surface, turn over and repeat then blast it with the gun again to clean it and prepare for next panel
So I am still hand washing but without the bucket. If it's real busy there, I will just do the soap then rinse and move to drying in the bay, might cut down on wash induced marring too since I ain't touching the paint by hand
Old 06-11-2006, 11:38 PM   #23
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupic
NO but I can see SA caught up with NSW VIC and I think QLD
no using hoses on cars no matter where car is at
not all of NSW has water restrictions. I'm in Tweed Shire and have none.
I can see the envy in the eyes of the QLD vistors when they see a nice clean car.

I heard ecowash (www.ecowash.com.au) advertised at Cabarita Jet Sprints yesterday. It seems liek an ok service but aroudn $30 for a waterless wash.

If restrictions came on here I'd use the watering can method for a car wash and possibly use a gun at a recycled water car wash to get the crap out from under the arches etc. Maybe use the gun with my own bucket and car wash if you can do that.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2006, 11:57 PM   #24
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_R
not all of NSW has water restrictions. I'm in Tweed Shire and have none.
I can see the envy in the eyes of the QLD vistors when they see a nice clean car.

I heard ecowash (www.ecowash.com.au) advertised at Cabarita Jet Sprints yesterday. It seems liek an ok service but aroudn $30 for a waterless wash.

If restrictions came on here I'd use the watering can method for a car wash and possibly use a gun at a recycled water car wash to get the crap out from under the arches etc. Maybe use the gun with my own bucket and car wash if you can do that.
On the Gold Coast were on level 4 water restriction now.. What a joke our dam is over 80%, but because we are apart of the super-council we have to do what Brisbane does... What pees me off is when the Gold Coast dam was at 30%. Brisbane had no water restrictions.....

Screw them.. I wash my cars every week with a hose and trigger gun....

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 07-11-2006, 12:15 AM   #25
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba
On the Gold Coast were on level 4 water restriction now.. What a joke our dam is over 80%, but because we are apart of the super-council we have to do what Brisbane does... What pees me off is when the Gold Coast dam was at 30%. Brisbane had no water restrictions.....

You're not far from me then and we get about the same rainfall.

The problem isn't that there is less water. The problem is that we set up stupid systems with dams that lose much of what they contain, feed the water and dump it out to sea. We didn't think and we didn't look at the system as a whole. We didn't act on the knowledge that drought and flood goes in regimes. 20 years ago or more ago we knew of these issues (I studied it at Uni) and it has taken until now when things get worse that we start to act (such is human nature). We need to rethink the systems we have in place and think of the long-term instead of the short term political view based on the next election.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 08:55 AM   #26
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We havent been able to use a hose on a car in NSW for a VERY long time now. Bucket washing only. What I dont get but is that it uses more water to wash a car with buckets than it does to give a few quick sprays with a hose - an experiment was done by one of the uni's in Sydney proving this.

A lot of people in my area thus pay for the commercial carwashes thinking they are doing the right thing by the environment - Now I have a close relative that runs one of these washes and funny thing is (not funny actually) is the majority of carwashes (something like 90%) DO NOT USE RECYCLED WATER or RE-USE the wash water in any way shape or form.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 09:03 AM   #27
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_R
You're not far from me then and we get about the same rainfall.

The problem isn't that there is less water. The problem is that we set up stupid systems with dams that lose much of what they contain, feed the water and dump it out to sea. We didn't think and we didn't look at the system as a whole. We didn't act on the knowledge that drought and flood goes in regimes. 20 years ago or more ago we knew of these issues (I studied it at Uni) and it has taken until now when things get worse that we start to act (such is human nature). We need to rethink the systems we have in place and think of the long-term instead of the short term political view based on the next election.
The other problem our stupid politicions new was happening, but did nothing about is our population growth.. We have the fastest growing population, 1500 new residents week I think it is. Yet they have not upgraded the dam in 20 or more years...

The other problem that anoys me is. We live on the Coast line of the Pacific Ocean, and there is no shortage of water out there... Sure that have got the Tugun desalination test plant going. But what they should be doing is sticking a heap of those Desalination plant up the whole coast line, Even set them up so they can be underwater, so thay are not a eye sore... Then we will never have a water shortage again..... I have a real problem why we can not start facturing the cost of mass scale desalination into State and Federal Government...

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 07-11-2006, 09:08 AM   #28
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
We havent been able to use a hose on a car in NSW for a VERY long time now. Bucket washing only. What I dont get but is that it uses more water to wash a car with buckets than it does to give a few quick sprays with a hose - an experiment was done by one of the uni's in Sydney proving this.
Hence why I still wash with a Hose and I will never wash using buckets or watering cans...

We also have also been on restriction for 12 months now, were we are suppose to water the gardens wash cars with buckets..

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 07-11-2006, 10:06 AM   #29
prydey
Rob

why is it that you can't use a hose to wash your car (except for rinsing) and yet you can stand in your yard and hand water your garden all day everyday if you so desire.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 11:50 AM   #30
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wash my car on the lawn and will not use buckets... It's time-consuming AND yes, I find that I use more water using the buckets. I just was my car at midnight... no white Camry with yellow stickers going around at that time. In fact, i've never seen any water restriction patrol car going around my area.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post