Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 14-09-2006, 09:14 PM   #1
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Default Uh-oh a Smartlock problem...

Hey guys I've got a 96 EL (povo pack standard yada yada yada) which is nice and all except that now one of my doors doesn't always lock properly - the actuator doesn't even move. I've tried hitting it (yes, real scientific I know) etc etc but no go. Any ideas? I'm really not keen on having to buy a new actuator as I've searched and seen how much those damn things cost.

Ta,

Hunter

Old 14-09-2006, 11:23 PM   #2
efgiar
rofl copter

to test the actuator, unplug it, check for power on the wires that goto the actuator, if there is power when unlocking/locking then pull ur actuator off, put + to one wire and - to the other and if it dont move replace it with one from the wreckers

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 01:08 AM   #3
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Angry

Well I got my on down to a local Ford dealer and got a hold of a new actuator... now I was aware there were about three different types of actuators floating about for Falcons and the guy at the spare parts counter did warn me that they aren't all compatible and that its possible I had the obsolote actuators fitted but that it was also possible that I had the newer type fitted as well.

He was right I was wrong. I got home with the new actuator, somewhat optimistic that'd it be a 1/2 hour job but NO. As per usual, everything went to . Removed all the door trim unplugged the actuator, plugged in the new one and pressed the remote button and... nothing. The other three actuators groaned and moaned but the fourth was dead. Pulled the new one off and found +12vdc present on the yellow/red striped wires and +0.2vdc (iirc) present on the red wire. When I pressed the remote button, the voltage on the red wire increased to +0.5vdc. I checked the numbers on the old actuator and according to the technical info, I've got type 2 actuators and that all I can really do is buy a whole set of type 3 actuators or try and find another type 2 at the wreckers. The one I bought from the dealer was a type 3 (Which I later returned).

I rocked up to a wreckers and asked them if they had any, guy goes '$44 and we'll pull it off the car for you'. Of course I said yes and the dude goes outside to remove it, finds some random EL lying about with a removed front right door trim (there were heaps of other E series lying about with perfectly intact doors, ie no trim removed). He pulls it off, I check the number and note its the same as the one the dealer sold me (type 3). Wrecker guy goes "this is the only one we have" (which is UTTER bullshit).

I'm ****ed off now because I don't want to spend almost $400 buying a whole new set of door lock actuators which are nothing more than a glorified solenoid. : I'm also hoping its not a problem elsewhere - wiring problems are pain incarnate and I do not look forward to solving one.

And don't get me started on how hard it looks to get those damn things out of the door... :

Last edited by Hunter; 18-09-2006 at 01:22 AM.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post