Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-06-2006, 11:14 PM   #1
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 
Default Opinions on LH footrests

When I mentioned about the lack of a LH footrest in the recent thread about the Ghia disappearing, I got a surprise that some actually dont want a footrest.

I was taught that to get a good balanced, supported position in the drivers seat when driving, especially when doing laps on a track, you lean your left knee against the console, your right knee against the right hand trim, and your left foot on the footrest. Seated in this position both feet are then approximately the same distance away from the seat. Your body is then supported much better when subject to the inertia forces acting on your body when going around corners etc, whilst being able to maintain good control of the pedals.

In addition, the left foot can then counteract the loads on the right foot which is operating the pedals, assisting in controlling the RH foot travel when accelerating and braking.

Perhaps it doesnt matter so much these days to have good contol of the brake pedal, with ABS brakes enabling one to just slam on the brake pedal, but when doing this, your body still needs to be balanced and supported, to enable you to still control the car.

With no footrest, you cannot support your body as well. Therefore I believe the more serious driver would want a footrest.

When the BA Falcons/Fairmonts first came out, nearly all road testers commented on the lack of a footrest in these models.

I believe they were omitted to reduce costs, with the excuse that they caused foot injuries in accidents.

Most other cars still have footrests, the Golf even has one also for the RH foot.

What is your opinion on the footrest? Should they be re-introduced, or not?

Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 11:37 PM   #2
smally289
growing up is optional

Im all for them, except on my AUII its too far away to use.
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 12:03 AM   #3
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes they should be, the apparent excuse by ford (in the Ghia thread) that it was for safety is a load of crock. It was just penny pinching on Fords part.
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 12:09 AM   #4
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

Quote:
Originally Posted by smally351
Im all for them.
+1 Im with you
Old 01-07-2006, 12:49 AM   #5
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
I was taught that to get a good balanced, supported position in the drivers seat when driving, especially when doing laps on a track, you lean your left knee against the console, your right knee against the right hand trim, and your left foot on the footrest. Seated in this position both feet are then approximately the same distance away from the seat. Your body is then supported much better when subject to the inertia forces acting on your body when going around corners etc, whilst being able to maintain good control of the pedals.

In addition, the left foot can then counteract the loads on the right foot which is operating the pedals, assisting in controlling the RH foot travel when accelerating and braking.

Perhaps it doesnt matter so much these days to have good contol of the brake pedal, with ABS brakes enabling one to just slam on the brake pedal, but when doing this, your body still needs to be balanced and supported, to enable you to still control the car.

With no footrest, you cannot support your body as well. Therefore I believe the more serious driver would want a footrest.
funny you should mention that i have a foot rest but my left foot seems to 'hover' over the clutch pedal - bad habit from learning how to drive..but now my left leg is slightly muscular then my right lol..because i use cruise a fair bit i dont really use my right foot.

but yes id like a foot rest..or if ford a gonna cut it out to save money then at least allow it as an extra/option or just include it in the price. thats my 2c

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 09:34 AM   #6
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

First thing I noticed when I went from an AU 111 Ghia to a BF Typhoon auto was ... NO footrest. Damn the Ford beancounters. What a pathetic piece of penny pinching.
I can't fathom it ... when you're paying up to $70k for a car, the added cost of a footrest would be negligble. And as a side issue, it's a must for balance when you're doing track work as Silver Ghia says.

I'm going to investigate fitting one, it shouldn't be too hard.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 09:41 AM   #7
macca_779
Turbine Power

its one of those small things that i find very usufull on long trips.
macca_779 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 10:04 AM   #8
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My 13 yr old Bluebird has a footrest but my 3yr old XR6 not. I miss it when I drive the XR. Just like the XR doesn't have rear electric windows but my Bluebird does. But my xr has something my Bluebird will never have POWERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:28 AM   #9
1TUFFUTE
Banned

it seems so obvious that there should be one in there, so maybe it does have a good reason!!!
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 10:39 AM   #10
BlackLS

Focus doesn't have it either
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 10:42 AM   #11
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wish my BA XR6 had a LH footrest my 2001 GLi lancer had one.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 11:19 AM   #12
Xrsick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreHPformyXR6
I wish my BA XR6 had a LH footrest my 2001 GLi lancer had one.
I agree as the Ba xr6 has a Rubber pad where the footrest is normally located I find the actuall further travel of the my left foot to utilise the pad upsets my driving position! sounds strange but that extra 20mm makes a difference!
Frank
Xrsick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 09:23 PM   #13
Ozfords
Girls! Drink! ****! ****!

SAVE THE LH FOOT REST, and while we're at it I'll throw in another, in this modern age of Cruise Control, why isn't there a...

RIGHT HAND FOOT REST.

Driving to work I find my right foot getting tired of hovering over the pedals and difficult to place in a comfortable position. Sometimes I just cross it under me left leg, which I'm guessing is dangerous when I need it in a hurry.

It's a hard to decision lose the Cruise and the fuel savings or pump the accelerator to give the right foot some resistance and comfort.

By the way did anyone see the mammoth foot rests in the new Camry? Are they meant to be safer? They look gimpish and void the use of standard carpets, needing expensive custom cut carpets.

1993 ED Fairmont Sedan - I6 - Colbalt Blue
- XH Snorkel
- Superlow Kings Springs and KYB Shocks
- Cross Drilled and Slotted DBA front Discs
- 18" pre-AU GT-P Alloy Wheels
- Ford Original Bootlid Spoiler
Ozfords is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 10:01 PM   #14
Dezza
Parts bin special

I've driven BAs and the lack of footrest is a bit annoying. If they could put it in a 1990 EA, surely it wouldn't be to hard to put it in a late model BA.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 10:24 PM   #15
FPV329
Workin' for the BOSS

I was gunna make one but have'nt as yet. God I'm lazy.
The woman has a new Camry and the FT is massive! I might pinch it!
Ford make you wonder sometimes.....
Old 02-07-2006, 08:22 PM   #16
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

I really can't understand how an XR8, FPV or Typhoon doesnt have a footrest, since obviously they are designed for serious driving... ....or for showing off in Chapel St. etc. by those who shouldnt be driving them?

Would be interesting to know what professional drivers like John Bowe think of not having a LH footrest in these cars.

I looked at putting a footrest in my BA Ghia, but its not all that straight forward to do it properly. The bulkhead seems to have been changed with a bracket on the forward side, preventing bolts being put through. If its not secured properly, it would be dangerous having a loose item down there.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2006, 08:33 PM   #17
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've always found the absence of the footrest very annoying, particularly when I was on a skid pan recently... very uncomfortable. Hopefully they will be re-introduced in the next model.
WILDTRAKPX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post