Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-05-2006, 12:40 AM   #1
jack331au
Starter Motor

Default supercharging

hi all new member here, i was wondering if anybody has any experience with supercharging(six cylinder)ie pros and cons ,does anything else have to be done to the car (gearbox, driveline,brakes, etc). i was looking at the capa supercharger for example,or would i be better of going for a stage 4 or 5 kit from jim mock motorsport,or would both be a possibility and still use the car as a daily driver.what im after is the most power i can get out of one of these engines without sacrificing drivability.money is of no concern ive got loads of it.

jack331au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2006, 01:11 AM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack331au
money is of no concern ive got loads of it.
The AU6 responds prety well to supercharging at low to medium boost (say 6 to 10psi). You can use a decompression plate and intercooler to make it safer, but if you truly have loads of money, then just supercharge it, and when the engine etc gets tired, just replace them with a new one. AU 6s can be had for around $500 or so from wreckers, and auto trannies about double that. A 5 speed runs to approx 1500. An LSD is only about $1k a pop, so just keep replacing what (if anything) breaks, when (if) it breaks. Speaking of brakes, if you go the extra power, would be worth upgrading to a PBR sports setup, Tickford/FPV premium setup, Brembos, Alcon, AP racing etc. Or the cheap option is DBA slotteds all round.

If you do it sensibly, spercharging your 6 should not affect reliability too much, and as long as you don't drive it like you stole it, it should last a while too. Oh, and make sure you get the car tuned too - AU edit should help out in that regard.

For some opinions from those that have been down this route, try PMing Falkeen and Turbo_Nick - both have had supercharged AU 6s.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2006, 10:20 AM   #3
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...hlight=bracket

Quite a lot covered there IIRC...
Old 23-05-2006, 10:24 AM   #4
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Racecraft is in the process of supercharging his AU I6.

Talk to him about it.
Old 23-05-2006, 07:01 PM   #5
StevenAu2
Irregular Member

What about a turbo,email this guy http://www.6boost.com/
StevenAu2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2006, 07:42 PM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Snort Performance has a kit out now .... and for $4300 .. yuo get everything included in it ... and I think it's a Vortech blower as well ... but can opt for others too.

There is a thread on www.fordmods.com about it ... and I think there is a group buy going at the moment too ... so it might save you more.

AFAIK the Snort kit is identical to the CAPA kit too ... CAPA love to charge a lot more though.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2006, 09:31 PM   #7
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

easy as and all works well for a nice streetable performance car.

Still will have hassles with rego and insurance. Needs to get an engineers certificate still too.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2006, 09:56 AM   #8
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Snort Performance has a kit out now .... and for $4300 .. yuo get everything included in it ... and I think it's a Vortech blower as well ... but can opt for others too.
Really???

Must check it out.
Old 24-05-2006, 03:12 PM   #9
romaniac
holla at cha boy

does this snort kit include labour?
romaniac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2006, 05:01 PM   #10
loxxr6
XB in parts...

The snort kit is just that...a kit. You need to put it together yourself.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2006, 08:31 PM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Same with the CAPA kit ... but that's around the $6,000 mark ... and you still have to put it in yourself .... or if you get them to do it ... they will charge you another $6,000 knowing them.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post