Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-12-2005, 10:54 PM   #1
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Default Moving from NSW to Perth...advice needed

Hey Guys...

Ive made the decision to pack my bags and head over to W.A mainly for the reason, my girlfriend lives over there...in Albany but i figure if i want a decent job- i need to be in Perth.
So, the two things im looking for will be a job and accomodation.
Ive got a background in IT and Sales and have got a recruiting agency that are going to help me out when i get there...i suppose im a little aprehensive because i havent even moved out of home before deciding to go to W.A...so im asking the question...is it as hard to find a job and accomodation in WA as it is in NSW?

Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 11:06 PM   #2
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would think so...however nothing ventured..nothing gained.

Look at it as an adventure on the highway of life.

An old saying which the SAS has...'Who dares wins"

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2005, 11:59 PM   #3
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Possibly will be but if you really want to move then go for it..
I'm sure its hard to find a place to live and a job all in one hit is hard no matter what state you go to.

Good luck and enjoy....WA is an awesome place!!!!!
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2005, 01:32 AM   #4
RSgerry
Well hello Mr Fancypants

WA has the lowest rate of unemployment in 30 years. if your recruiter is any good, and your experience stacks up, you will have no trouble finding a job. accomodation is a bit thin on the ground ATM, but that is probably as much to do with Christmas as anything else. Good luck.
RSgerry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2005, 01:55 AM   #5
GT-P 390

Welcome BUCKET

You will get a job no drama's. WA is really suffering from a skills shortage at the moment.

Albany's a fair distance from Perth, so I wouldn't be planning on catching up with your girlfriend too often.

It offers a good excuse though to get the Ford out onto some of our less congested roads and stretch its legs.

BANKRUPT I - 2005 BAII GT-P Manual, Velocity, Herrod Extractors and Cats, Xtreme 1300kg Ceramic Clutch and Lightened Flywheel, Bluepower CAI, Herrod Suresix Shifter, John Bowe S/S Signature Series Exhaust, King Springs (Race Series), Bilstein Sport Shocks and 30mm Whiteline adjustable front sway-bay, 3.7 gears.

FPV/Tickford Owners Club of W.A. Member.
GT-P 390 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2005, 07:19 AM   #6
joshf2
striped

i moved from perth to sydney

i'd say moving from sydney to perth will be a piece of cake, things are far more accessable, cheaper, and everything is closer. with the exception of albany, which is unfortunate for you.

but you might miss sunday trading.
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2005, 03:39 PM   #7
RapidTypLady
RapidTypLady

Bucket - you should have no problems in getting work here. The finding a place will be the headache. As your lady works in Albany you will be better off trying to find a house south of the river as it will take off travel time for your drive down south to see her on weekends or for her to travel back up to see you. The downfall of that is you will be a 45 min drive to the beach.

Good Luck with your move. I am sure you will miss alot of things that Sydney have as you are coming to WA - Wait Awhile State but beautiful Perth : .

MODS SO FAR

Herrod Zorst, Herrod BOV, Herrod Suresix, Herrod Lowered Springs,
BMC Hi-Flow Filter,

Xtreme High flow cat, Xtreme 4"
dump pipe, Xtreme Ceramic Clutch, Bigger Injectors, Xtreme Edit & Tune

300+rwkw :
RapidTypLady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2005, 03:56 PM   #8
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Albany == 600KM+ from Perth :P

Plenty of work in the Metro area though, especially for someone with your skillset.

Go knock on all the recruitment agencies doors, as theyre usually the only way to get a job these days :/

- Shane
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2005, 05:19 PM   #9
myxr6
Banned

We moved here in July fron Canberra , look at seek.com.au for jobs.
Love it here so far
myxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2005, 05:43 PM   #10
honer
Back to N/A land

You'll love Perth.

If your IT skills are up to scratch you shouldn't find it hard to get a job, try iiNet, they absorb most IT guys with good skills.

Damn about Albany though, I thought I got ripped off having a girl that lives 45 mins away.
honer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 07:21 PM   #11
NARCEA
5/00 AUII Forte

You might be lucky and come across something in Albany. I did a prac down there and it's a fairly busy place. Four and a half hour drive if you get a decent run of traffic. Beautiful scenery too.

Cheers,

Ian
Old 10-12-2005, 07:51 PM   #12
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by honer
You'll love Perth.
If your IT skills are up to scratch you shouldn't find it hard to get a job, try iiNet, they absorb most IT guys with good skills.
*waves his iiNet flag around* :P

Driving to Albany is actually quite a nice cruise NARCEA, you got that right
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 07:54 PM   #13
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Thanks for all the feedback guys!!
Ive had a bit of trouble successfully applying for jobs in WA (i think when they see Newcastle on my CV they may not take me as seriously...)

Also- Ive discovered a bus that does the perth to albany route each day in the afternoon so it may be easier to do than i thought

Im trying to figure out what to get wheels wise though...ive had a company car the past year and i lose that with resigning from my current job. What would you recommend for a nice set of wheels Falcon Wise? Im also considering imports as an option...all of this is about 3 or four months down the track though

Id love to get a job with somewhere like iiNet too...here are my qualifications for all you IT savy people...

Cert 2 in IT
Cert 4 in IT: Network Admin...well half my competencies anyway
Cert 4 in IT: Helpdesk- With Distinction done in conjunction with a traineeship in Local Government, Full time for a Year

In Addition to that, a Year in New and Used Car Sales, and a Background in Retail and Customer Service.

Is it enough??? used:
Old 10-12-2005, 09:27 PM   #14
NARCEA
5/00 AUII Forte

Bucket there's a heap of transport there! TransWA run at least two coaches a day... most leave early morn and arrive in arvo. Not too pricey as well. Hope a job works out for you mate.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 11-12-2005, 02:33 AM   #15
Fletty's EL
Green with Envi

Just a query. I'm an Albany boy, have been for 18 years. Just wondering who the lucky local is???

I've made the move to Perth, then Busselton, then back to Perth.

Albany is $38 one way away by coach. 412km on the road.
Seriously talk to omninet in albany (www.omninet.net.au) otherwise head down there and check out what a couple of the big south west IT firms are upto.

There is a major shortage of IT people in WA country and I'm sure it'd only take you a week to find a decent job down there.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:42 AM   #16
WizBang
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by clontarf_x
Albany == 600KM+ from Perth :P

Plenty of work in the Metro area though, especially for someone with your skillset.

Go knock on all the recruitment agencies doors, as theyre usually the only way to get a job these days :/

- Shane
6oo kms try 420 I went down the other day and there is heaps of work even down there .You will love the WA life over here the only thing is WA stands for wait a while as some things are a little behide but you get used to it but I hope the move works out for you and we are only too happy to help if you need it
WizBang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2005, 12:10 PM   #17
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ex W.A guy, you all forgot to tell him Albany is bloody cold in winter , but with crumpet will keep nice and warm!!!! Then W.A have a horrendus amount of speed cameras AND no leeway, 1 km over, $50 fine but no demerit points.
I moved from W.A to Queensland, as I want to be in the noughties century, not still living in the 50"s.
But, enjoy the challenge, W.A. is a beautiful place.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2005, 02:03 PM   #18
Fletty's EL
Green with Envi

Albany's no colder than Melbourne (and far fewer Victorians). Definitely some great driving experiences around the Great Southern. Mountains, beaches and forests to explore.
It's all about lifestyle.
If it's big money you want, forget it and go to the mining companies in Perth. They need IT people too.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:00 PM   #19
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Thanks for the information and offers of help folks! i really appreciate it- ill have to meet up with some of you Yokles when i touch down.. now I just need to find a decent ford and a crew to cruise with when im over there Id love to get my mits on a Dual Fuel Manual EL Falcon lol!!! heres hoping hey! :
Old 12-12-2005, 08:21 PM   #20
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Ex W.A guy, you all forgot to tell him Albany is bloody cold in winter , but with crumpet will keep nice and warm!!!! Then W.A have a horrendus amount of speed cameras AND no leeway, 1 km over, $50 fine but no demerit points.
I moved from W.A to Queensland, as I want to be in the noughties century, not still living in the 50"s.
But, enjoy the challenge, W.A. is a beautiful place.
but we allowed radar detectors!!
you can talk your way out of a 1kph infringement.
you are right though, we are definatly a little behind the times!!