Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > Eurofordclub.com > EuroFordClub.com

EuroFordClub.com European Ford Owners Club of Australia forum

Old 23-09-2005, 10:38 PM   #1
jmc-007

Default best smal cars to look at buying under 30k !!

Hey guys.

The fuel is starting to break my balls (breaking my balls hans !!!, breakin my balls, Team america e )

EBII 4ltr Auto S Pack

I was wondering what are the small car options and what should i look at.

I am not interested in Asian rubbish. but I am happy to look at (focus, fiesta, C2 Citroen) what else is there to compare ???

any help would be good. Max budget of 23-25k

James

jmc-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2005, 10:50 PM   #2
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

So your reason for wanting to spend $30'000 or less on a smaller car is because of the price of fuel ATM?? You'd rather spend $30'000 or less on a smaller car, than continue to drive the EBII, which is sending you broke 'cause of the price of fuel? : No disrespect intended.. but I think you need to dust off that calculator and put it to good use.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2005, 11:02 PM   #3
jmc-007

Not to mention owning a new car, I am now in the position where i can afford a new car upto 30,000. Fuel was one of the factors at looking at a small car and not to mention i dont have any need for a large falcon. If i need to do something that requires towing or doing a dump run I have full use of the old mans company car.

Dont get me wrong it has been a very good car to learn to drive in and get experience with. but i would like something smaller.
jmc-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2005, 11:40 PM   #4
loxxr6
XB in parts...

The "asian rubbish" Mazda 3 SP23 is pretty cool. Sounds decent with an exhuast, hauls a car load of people ok too. I wouldn't pass it by as a potential purchase.

Otherwise I reckon the Focus is pretty sweet. The main gripe I've heard is just the power in them. Otherwise as an overall package they're pretty cool. Others here will give you a more comprehensive answer on them tho.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2005, 01:51 AM   #5
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

As explained by LOXXR6... the SP23 is a good pick, but remember they arent 23K to 25K. In my opinion, if your after euro and small, consider:

New Fiesta
New (maybe the series 1) Focus
New Citroen C2 VTR
2nd hand Pug 206 GTI
2nd hand Pug 306 XSi
2nd hand Focus - Zetec and optioned up (like a Zetec-R)
2nd hand Renault Clio Sport (you can pick one up for like $24K! BARGIN!)
2nd hand SEAT Ibiza GTI - Cheap, fast, unique....

But honestly, although i have a Fiesta, if i were you i would consider the Holden Barina SRI... $22, 490... they are pretty quick, and great bang for your buck! The new model also looks good with the 16s, red brake calipers, and the projector headlights. Great car (only reason why i did not get one was because at the time it was new and i couldnt test drive it for another 2 month- old stock was sold out, new stock had not arrived)

Oh, but this is FF... So, i suggest a fiesta or focus :

Pretty much the cars i would consider if i was in your position, which i was!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2005, 07:50 AM   #6
Cypher
Fiesta Zetec

SRi Barina has a gearbox made out of used pinball machine parts...ie drive it a little hard and it will fail! And the engines of the earlier model SRi (current shape) have been know to blow a head gasket or 2 (as early as 100,000km). Just things I have heard about them. I wouldnt be going with SRi.

Fiesta, Focus, Mazda 3, 206 GTi, Clio Sport are the picks of the bunch.
Old 24-09-2005, 09:37 AM   #7
BlackLS

Don't forget the Golf...
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2005, 03:32 PM   #8
whippet_zetec
Supes

Golf if you can get one under your budget would be a good option, also look at the small Pugs out there (206/306).

Tim posted a "TopGear" review of the Mazda3, Astra, and Golf on the forums somewhere, you might also like to check that video review out....interesting stuff and funny
Old 24-09-2005, 07:31 PM   #9
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

OH, also... SP20.... the older 323 models... DEFINETLY in your price range.... and its got jap reliability but doesnt look too bad either

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2005, 08:29 PM   #10
tick5.0
Want some classic?

Okay I know this is very ricer jap crap but what about the original Integra Type R?

Early this year I was looking at moving about 60k's away from my work and wanted something more economical than my XR8 but not slower, not turbo and under $25k or so and this was the only car that got my intrest.

0-100: 7.2 seconds
0-400m:15.2 seconds
141kW/178Nm - 130kW/tonne (1087kg)
8.1L/100kms

Honda build quality, fantastic handling, excellent ABS brakes, Recaro seats, helical LSD and a VTEC with a 8400rpm redline. The one's I looked at were low k's and very well maintained.

Wheels had it in their best value performers for 2001. - "Fun, fun FUN.", "arguably the most grip of any front-drive car on sale in Australia".

Zoom had it in their top 10 used performance buys $20-$30K. - "genuine WRX beater", "Verdict: With no equal, the Type-R is a must drive before you die."

Sorry for the Honda ad but I have a soft spot for them!
EF II XR8, Supercharged manual *** FOR SALE ***
XC Falcon, waiting for the Clevo & C4 - Sold
AE101 Corolla, the daily - Sold
SII RX-7, original - Sold
BF II GT
Alfa Romeo 156 JTS, the new daily
Z31 300ZX Turbo
tick5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post