Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-09-2005, 11:25 PM   #1
Kryton

Default ADSL modem question

i have a Billion ADSL router with 10/100M switch, what is the fastest internet speed/plan i can have with this modem?
im looking to upgrade the speed of my internet but i dont know what speed it can handle (eg: can it handle upto 2mbps or can it only handle 1mbps or less?)
any help would be appreciated as i need to find a plan and i need to take into account if i need to get another router or not.

Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 11:39 PM   #2
Donut King
Officially Unemployed!

if it is ADSL1 compliant it will handle up to an 8mbit down 1mbit up connection, if its adsl2 it will handle faster

Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 11:42 PM   #3
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
i have a Billion ADSL router with 10/100M switch, what is the fastest internet speed/plan i can have with this modem?
im looking to upgrade the speed of my internet but i dont know what speed it can handle (eg: can it handle upto 2mbps or can it only handle 1mbps or less?)
any help would be appreciated as i need to find a plan and i need to take into account if i need to get another router or not.
The fastest speed/plan still depends on your exchange and your distance form that exchange.

Which Billion do you have finding the maximum possible speed its capable of is the easy bit?
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 11:43 PM   #4
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut King
if it is ADSL1 compliant it will handle up to an 8mbit down 1mbit up connection, if its adsl2 it will handle faster
its ADSL1 compliant. sweet!!!
another question: can this router carry DSL as well as ADSL?
thanks as well!
i have the Billion BIPAC 5100.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:46 PM   #5
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
its ADSL1 compliant. sweet!!!
another question: can this router carry DSL as well as ADSL?
thanks as well!
Its all DSL A is for asynchronous. The router portion will not be a bottleneck it will effectively pass data at the 100M ethernet rate.

Last edited by RED_EL_XR8; 11-09-2005 at 11:55 PM.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:47 PM   #6
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
Its all DSL A is for asynchronous. The portion will not be a bottleneck it will effectively pass data at the 100M ethernet rate.
5100 should be fully upgradeable to ADSL2 I'll just confirm that.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:51 PM   #7
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

5102 and 5102S is ADSL compliant, as is the now discontinued 5100, you will need to upgrade your firmware to current version.

Distance is your biggest hurdle with obtaining theoretical maximum ADSL2 speeds

Hope that helps.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:03 AM   #8
Kryton

well the provider i was looking at has since confirmed that i can have a 1.5mbps connection at most.
i was looking at the 2mbps connection but i guess ill have to wait.
thank guys for your help.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:11 AM   #9
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Since your questions been answered, I wonder if you guys can shed light on my problem. Every night (even weekend) my net stops at about 6:15 then doesn't come back for about a half an hour, I reckon its something wrong with the lines since it happening at a certain time only I don't see how it could be my ADSL router.

But the interesting thing is that when it is out I can't access my router configuration through the browser, but this could just be how its designed I guess. This is a problem on both my computers so I know its not local to my computer and I can see that it isn't connected by the lights on it, Telecom didn't really seem to give a crap when we rung them.
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2005, 12:17 AM   #10
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14A-Mclaren
Since your questions been answered, I wonder if you guys can shed light on my problem. Every night (even weekend) my net stops at about 6:15 then doesn't come back for about a half an hour, I reckon its something wrong with the lines since it happening at a certain time only I don't see how it could be my ADSL router.

But the interesting thing is that when it is out I can't access my router configuration through the browser, but this could just be how its designed I guess. This is a problem on both my computers so I know its not local to my computer and I can see that it isn't connected by the lights on it, Telecom didn't really seem to give a crap when we rung them.
You will still be ableto access your router even with no net connection its on the user side of the ADSL modem.

The fault youdescribe is most likely your Telco or ISP is the modem losing sync or has the data just stopped?
Old 12-09-2005, 12:29 AM   #11
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Accessing it I mean the config page I can get when I put in 192.168.1.2 and get the page where I put in all the info needed to get a connection. It seems like the modem is losing sync, the obvouis visual clue is because the ADSL and ready lights turn off when its happened but right now they're all blinking fine.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:35 AM   #12
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Accessing it I mean the config page I can get when I put in 192.168.1.2 and get the page where I put in all the info needed to get a connection. It seems like the modem is losing sync, the obvouis visual clue is because the ADSL and ready lights turn off when its happened but right now they're all blinking fine.
D-Link Modem! You are losing ADSL connection from the outside at this time.

To put it simply the 192.168.x.x addresses originate from inside the modem router.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:41 AM   #13
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Quote:
D-Link Modem! You are losing ADSL connection from the outside at this time.

To put it simply the 192.168.x.x addresses originate from inside the modem router.
Its actually Dick Smith branded (I didnt buy it). So you reckon its nothing I can fix and have to get Telecom to fix it? Why would it be at 6?
Old 12-09-2005, 02:05 AM   #14
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Cool would someone please tell me if a Netcomm NB5 is an ok adsl modem?
Also I have it connected via usb cable, Is this better as i have no idea on how to do it otherwise, my usb ports tho aint hi speed , usb 1.0? i think.
I still get connected at 12Mbps.
Thankyou..
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2005, 02:13 AM   #15
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Its actually Dick Smith branded (I didnt buy it). So you reckon its nothing I can fix and have to get Telecom to fix it? Why would it be at 6?
I very much doubt there is anything to do your side of the modem. Some have parental time limit setting but these will usually apply to the router not the modem.

6pm is peak time, odds on you service is just failing under peak load.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:20 AM   #16
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
Cool would someone please tell me if a Netcomm NB5 is an ok adsl modem?
Also I have it connected via usb cable, Is this better as i have no idea on how to do it otherwise, my usb ports tho aint hi speed , usb 1.0? i think.
I still get connected at 12Mbps.
Thankyou..
Netcomm is an OK brand, I'm not darmiliar with their ADSL stuff. USB is fine for a single PC, only the fastest rates would need USB2 assuming little other USB load on the PC.

Ethernet is preferable, especially if you want to connect more than 1 pc, otherwhise the USB PC will need to remain on for others to access the net.

THe NB-5 supports ADSL2
Old 12-09-2005, 02:25 AM   #17
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Cheers Red.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2005, 08:08 AM   #18
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

The NetComm NB5plus4 or NB5plus4w are the ones to get ADSL2+, USB, extra Ethernet ports and 11g 54Mbps wireless in the W version.

Prices just come down to.

Yes I work there so a lttle BIASED.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2005, 09:11 AM   #19
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Belkin are a good brand.

Whatever you do, steer clear of D-Link.

More troubles than its worth.

ring your ISP, get the line / exchange checked to see what speed you can get.

But ADSL 1 for 1 PC on a 1500 down 512 up will be more than suffecient.

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2005, 10:09 AM   #20
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehoon
Belkin are a good brand.

More troubles than its worth.

ring your ISP, get the line / exchange checked to see what speed you can get.

But ADSL 1 for 1 PC on a 1500 down 512 up will be more than suffecient.
Its a DSL modem, not a million dollar Router for a Frame Relay.

Theres Nothing wrong with the Dlink Ethernet DSL Modems and I've had extensive experience with them in Bridged and Routed configurations.

If you are having issues its most likely a Pebkac error.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2005, 10:13 AM   #21
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
Its a DSL modem, not a million dollar Router for a Frame Relay.

Theres Nothing wrong with the Dlink Ethernet DSL Modems and I've had extensive experience with them in Bridged and Routed configurations.

If you are having issues its most likely a Pebkac error.
From experience the lack of EPROM in the D-Links cause them to freeze, hang and die.

Also cheap nasty, processors and memory from taiwan.

They are also ultra sensitive to power. Not good if you are in a rural area.

I have tried to use them time and time again, every 3 months, replace...

Ever used their networking gear?
Layer 3 and above switches?
No there is an experience. Replace 8 switches in 4 months due to hardware issues. Ports randomly die and everything.

Cisco and ATI all the way!

**End Bag Of D-Link**

Old 12-09-2005, 10:26 AM   #22
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
From experience the lack of EPROM in the D-Links cause them to freeze, hang and die.

No there is an experience. Replace 8 switches in 4 months due to hardware issues. Ports randomly die and everything.

**End Bag Of D-Link**
I've used a large amount of D-Link without issue in a variety of environments without issue. But no I wouldn't implement it in a mission critical situation, likewise I would not recommend purchasing a Cisco device for a domestic application where its extra expense would never be warranted. The odd 2nd hand piece of cisco does get pressed into service though.

I have found D-Link to always be a better or adequate performer in the applications it is appropriate for. Maybe you have just had a bad run of luck.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:28 AM   #23
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:

**End Bag Of D-Link**

Well you better come turn off all the 150 or so DSL modems installed for all our remote users then. Obviously faulty, cause of your extensive experience with 3 month replacements. Havent replaced one in 1.5 years. They must all be broken by now surely.

Ultra Sensitive to power? When the lights go off, dont expect it to keep running. As to surges and dips, thats an AC/DC adapter issue, and can be fixed simply by buying a decent adapter if the one you have is not up to task.

If you are using Dlink for corporate networking, thats your own funeral. Dont buy and use a turd and then whinge that its a turd and not a gem. Hell I even have cisco routers here with dead ports.

Cheap Taiwanese Processors & Memory eh? I better return my System Processors and Memory at once, guess where they all came from. Most processors and Memory that is made in Taiwan feeds the asia pacific market.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 12-09-2005, 10:57 AM   #24
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
Well you better come turn off all the 150 or so DSL modems installed for all our remote users then. Obviously faulty, cause of your extensive experience with 3 month replacements. Havent replaced one in 1.5 years. They must all be broken by now surely.

Ultra Sensitive to power? When the lights go off, dont expect it to keep running. As to surges and dips, thats an AC/DC adapter issue, and can be fixed simply by buying a decent adapter if the one you have is not up to task.

If you are using Dlink for corporate networking, thats your own funeral. Dont buy and use a turd and then whinge that its a turd and not a gem. Hell I even have cisco routers here with dead ports.

Cheap Taiwanese Processors & Memory eh? I better return my System Processors and Memory at once, guess where they all came from. Most processors and Memory that is made in Taiwan feeds the asia pacific market.
Scarcasm noted.

Yes most chips come from Taiwan. But like all, there is good and there is bad.

In my area, i have regular voltage drops. Most of my mates, regulary pop D-link routers, 504's and the like.

We all switched brands and never had a problem.

Yes dlink in corporate is silly.
Yes cisco at home is silly.

But in the SOHO arena, dlink seem to be good, but there is far better value for dollars in other products. Belkin, Netcomm, Netgear (can do better then netgear but)...

Anyone seen the service area of D-Link at North Ryde? It's more of a drive thru swap shop.
It's more prominent than the main entrance!!!!

Quite ironic and speaks volumes for the company product. Especially when there is 6 full time staff for warranty...........

Old 12-09-2005, 11:59 AM   #25
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Quote:
I very much doubt there is anything to do your side of the modem. Some have parental time limit setting but these will usually apply to the router not the modem.

6pm is peak time, odds on you service is just failing under peak load.
Thanks for that Red.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:18 PM   #26
SunDrifter
To shreads you say?!

Quote:
Belkin are a good brand.

: Belkin???? Thats like suggesting you buy a Kia Rio and steer clear of the Falcon! :evil_laug

If anybody is looking to buy networking equipment for home, forget everything else and buy Linksys. :
I've owned Holdens and Daewoos, and had plenty of problems with Holdens and none with Daewoos. Of course, the Holden is the more desirable car to own and drive, but based on my experience it is not the higher quality of the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Weight means nothing to a cars handling...
:
SunDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2005, 04:24 PM   #27
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDrifter
: Belkin???? Thats like suggesting you buy a Kia Rio and steer clear of the Falcon! :evil_laug

If anybody is looking to buy networking equipment for home, forget everything else and buy Linksys. :
The Linksys is good stuff (owned by Cisco now) , the biggest objection I have to it in a domestic environment, is that they are uglier than 2 Mitsubishi's.

Linksys is the AU Falcon of the network world, solid, dependable, excellent performer, but looks only a mother could love.. :yeees:
Old 12-09-2005, 04:27 PM   #28
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Linksys is the AU Falcon of the network world, solid, dependable, excellent performer, but looks only a mother could love.. :yeees:
Hey thats not fair, like the AU, all the Linksys needs is a spoiler kit and some 17inch wheels and it will look a treat.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 12-09-2005, 04:40 PM   #29
SunDrifter
To shreads you say?!

Quote:
The Linksys is good stuff (owned by Cisco now) , the biggest objection I have to it in a domestic environment, is that they are uglier than 2 Mitsubishi's.

Linksys have been owned by Cisco for years... But really? Looks? If you really care what your ADSL Router looks like then.... well I pity you. :
I've owned Holdens and Daewoos, and had plenty of problems with Holdens and none with Daewoos. Of course, the Holden is the more desirable car to own and drive, but based on my experience it is not the higher quality of the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Weight means nothing to a cars handling...
:
SunDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2005, 04:47 PM   #30
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDrifter
Linksys have been owned by Cisco for years... But really? Looks? If you really care what your ADSL Router looks like then.... well I pity you. :
Looks don't worry me, you should see some of my other photos. My house is littered with some of mans ugliest spave junk. But I am talking customer sites, and when its the boutique office, looks and size play a part. How else do you think Apple sell E-Macs?