Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-08-2005, 07:20 PM   #1
WASP
Whipple Induced

Default My week in an SS

As many may know I’m in between cars at the moment. A close associate of mine has offered her black VY SS to me to look after for a week. She’s’ actually selling it as she has a company vehicle now.

I thought I would take this opportunity to post my thoughts on this car coming from a very blue Ford man. Many of you may have taken one of these for test drive much as I had. Now I have the privilege of having what will be the longest time for me spent in one of the Generals finest.

Ford biased aside, the presentation of this car is beautiful from the red leather seats to the black bezel headlights. The SS looks quite aggressive, yet not as masculine as the XR8 IMO. Starting her up, the SS has a surprising obvious rumble and feels like there’s something serious going on under the bonnet. I love the all-over red leather seats of this car. It’s very sporty and inviting despite leather quality itself being nothing precious. The interior seems smaller than the BA, but you sit much lower in the car which gives a lot of head room. As I’m not an overly tall person this positioning is not to my liking, but for taller people it may be ideal.

Compared to the BA XR8 the SS makes a lot more mechanical sound. The gearbox grinds and the engine whines. There’s even a bit of rocking and shaking going on at idle. At first to be honest, like in my test drive in an SS some time ago, I didn’t like this at all and considered it quite agricultural. But after a while however it becomes an oddly desirable characteristic of the cars experience.

The owner used to go on that one reason they didn’t buy the Ford was because the BA’s doors seemed cheap and light when closing. At first I didn’t know what they were on about but I now understand what they were refereeing to. The Holden’s doors are quite weighted and solid when compared to the Falcon. This gives an impression of better build quality and even the Focus I drove had the same/similar feel to the SS. I do hope in future the Falcon adopts this characteristic for future models.

Performance is nice and but doesn’t set the world on fire. To be fair, not much will in stock form after coming from the RZTT. Having said that it’s a ballzy motor and driveline and it's a lot of fun to drive. Overall I like it and I’m better off for the experience. I don’t see myself buying an SS in future but have to acknowledge it's a worthy alternative if I every wanted one. Compared to the BA’s it’s quite low tech in refinement, but you have to give it to Holden for making an excellent package with what they have. They know their market, what they will and won’t tolerate, and it shows in the car’s they build.

Colville

Last edited by WASP; 09-08-2005 at 09:53 AM.
WASP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 07:38 PM   #2
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Good write up mate, & when I drove an SS I came up with the same findings. Thay are a very nice car & a worthy competiter to the XR8. Like you I dont think I would buy one because Im a blueblood, but its six of one, half dozen of the other, in my book...

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 08:24 PM   #3
t2te50
Banned

You guys make my blood curdle especialy CDAA. How did you come up with that door conclusion, are you sure you don't have a fever? Holden doors are cheap junk that when at holden our warranty fix (if leaking) was to bend the sh$t out of them to make them sit flush with the chassis frame. The rubbers are attrocious at leaking inside the vehicle a reminder from the dark old days (VN). Falcon doors are biff and close quietly like a bank vault while commo doors rattle and sound sh#t.
Even the VY our head mechanic who once worked at ford was rebuilding 3!!!!! VY engines a week, on their 3rd piston/ring set supposedly a bit of teflon around the skirt of the piston was to solve the slapping problem they had.
Anyway our head mechanic would own a ford any day over a bombadore, I only have respect for the old 304 and hold the 3.8 V6 in high regard the rest is junk.

I reckon it's the water down that way thats causing the poor bugger to hellusinate

Last edited by t2te50; 08-08-2005 at 08:49 PM.
t2te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 08:31 PM   #4
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

The holden doors are notorious for dumping built up rain water on the passenger and driver when they get out of the car. For its reputation I did find the performance very unexciting. Apart from the thought of driving a 5.7 litre engine..ill stick to my boring looking wagon.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 09:00 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2te50
You guys make my blood curdle especialy CDAA.
Why, because he dares to have a look at a car other than a Ford? Grow up.

Quote:
I reckon it's the water down that way thats causing the poor bugger to hellusinate
Heaven forbid somebody might be able to give an unbiased review of another brand. I dare say you're one of those people that judges by what little you know - and doesnt bother to find out what you dont.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:11 PM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Hahahahahaha.

I think its great CDAA got the opportunity to have a go in the SS, and personally I think T2TE50s comments are a little childish.

I myself find the doors a little rough Colville, I don't mind them but the close the same as a VN and even make the same sound. The BA ones seem alot easier to close and sound a little more upmarket even tho they feel a little light.

I liked the purple leather Trim they had in the VY II SS's in the dark purple colour, and especially liked the fact that my right knee wasnt resting on the door handle like the BA and AU... I seem to sit more confortable in a Holden and did consider the SV6. Overall the main reasons why I didn't look any further into the SV6 was basically the interior trim and dash layout, which I felt was a little too Executive style when cmpared to the nice blue LED setup in the XR. I also rather the look of the XR, and the optional 18 inch rims..

So things i like about the VY II VZ.

- The leather Interior
- The leg room in front
- The extra trip computer setup in the instrument cluster.
- The old power antenna, I still find our BA's don't get 100% reception in some places when compared to the commies / AU's.
- Projector style headlights on the SS.
- Guard flutes even tho they are fake.

Things i rather with the BA.
- Exterior, BA is dead sexy.
- The 18 inch wheel option.
- The Interior, especially the cloth trims and Interior Command Centre.
- The Blue LED lighting.
- Colour range - holdens colour range is a bit of a joke - 5 Colours on the SS / SV6.

Overall there really isn't that much between them which is no suprise considering they are targetted at the same market.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 09:11 PM   #7
Amazer

I have had the previlage of driving a BA XR6 and a VY SS Commodore.

I have never liked Holden, Ford Born and Bred. After driving the SS I was quite impressed. And could see myself owning one.

I work for 7 Franchises in a dealership so to be completely bias to one make is not possible. I was totally Ford wouldn't buy anything else, now I would happily buy something other, maybe even a Commodore. There is a lot of well built cars on the market nowadays

Rob
Amazer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 09:13 PM   #8
t2te50
Banned

Just remember I did work their and I'm just talking from experience. Whats your knowledge of the oppositions beast for you to be judging me? So If ya don't know how thick the ice is don't tread on it I say.
It's not about growing up it's about speaking the utter truth (I hate bulls#$t artists who just slag others off due to an honest opinion). I say you better lay low until you have something constructive to say. Even useless agreed that door seals are an issue with commo's.

Forgot to mention that holden elecric windows are alot more prone to jam up in the rubber channels then the fords.

Last edited by t2te50; 08-08-2005 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:16 PM   #9
redspak
XE Freak!!

well wat t2te50 said about the holden doors are true, all thier doors are total cr4appp... the ford doors may "seem" light and poorly built but i gaurentee that it will withstand more then the holden, the only reason the ford doors are easier and lighter is because of the hinges, better hingers, better the door moves and lighter it seems.
redspak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 09:31 PM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
(I hate bulls#$t artists who just slag others off due to an honest opinion).
Oh now if that isnt contradiction of the year material........

Quote:
I say you better lay low until you have something constructive to say.
You first. Even if your point is valid, you have an "interesting" way of canning other's opinions (and experiences) to make it.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:39 PM   #11
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Just remember I did work their and I'm just talking from experience. Whats your knowledge of the oppositions beast for you to be judging me? So If ya don't know how thick the ice is don't tread on it I say.
It's not about growing up it's about speaking the utter truth (I hate bulls#$t artists who just slag others off due to an honest opinion). I say you better lay low until you have something constructive to say. Even useless agreed that door seals are an issue with commo's.

Forgot to mention that holden elecric windows are alot more prone to jam up in the rubber channels then the fords.
Tact is obviously something you dont have a lot of.
As I said once before, you have every right to express your opinion BUT doing so by trying to belittle and using bullying tactics on long term and respected members is not the smartest move.
Considering Back2thefutura worked in the spare parts division of a large Ford dealership and had access to a number of new and used cars... I'd say he has a pretty good handle on more cars than most of us.

Settle down a bit ok?

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 09:39 PM   #12
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

I drove a 2004 ss ute when a mate came to visit me. I expected more from a 2004 model car with 5.7 litres.
But it was nice enough to drive.
TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 09:45 PM   #13
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Of course they are more prone to jamming in the channels, the Ford regs just crap themselves and can't move anywhere to get jammed.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 09:45 PM   #14
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love the old SS Monaro's. Then the earlier commodores. Think it was a VB. Anyway it was red and looked and sounded fast. Brum Brum. I'll have one of those thanks. Woohoo
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 09:48 PM   #15
t2te50
Banned

Might be a little savage with the critiscism but it's (really) all light hearted stuff. Do you reckon the guy who started the thread is honest with himself about the doors? Ok it might be nice to drive and stuff and certain parts of the interior may be appealing, but I get side tracked by the negatives of the package. For me it all boils down to mechanical integrity at the end of the day.
Yes, I know if everyone had the same opinion the world would be dull but a little bit of critiscism doesn't hurt. Neither does a little mud slinging. out:
Old 08-08-2005, 09:51 PM   #16
my gt
Extreme Machine

well why dont you buy her car, then ill have yet another holden piece of crap to blow away!
holden na dont wANT ONE!!!
my gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 09:58 PM   #17
t2te50
Banned

Fee fi fo fum I smell detractors lets sikem!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-08-2005, 10:02 PM   #18
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Call me petty but with any of the VZ range, I just can't get over the multitude of GREEN LCD SCREENS! They are truly woeful and especially in what is intended to be a "modern sporting sedan". This is most evident and ridiculous in the case of the HSV range. How can you pay that much and get MORE GREEN SCREENS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have yet to sample an LS2 equipped model, but I don't think the engine alone could sway me.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:10 PM   #19
paul7v7
bring it on

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSparkle
Call me petty but with any of the VZ range, I just can't get over the multitude of GREEN LCD SCREENS! They are truly woeful and especially in what is intended to be a "modern sporting sedan". This is most evident and ridiculous in the case of the HSV range. How can you pay that much and get MORE GREEN SCREENS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have yet to sample an LS2 equipped model, but I don't think the engine alone could sway me.
I AGREE..finally someone who understands my frustration with the Holden range. I have been in a range of holdens and while they're not bad at all the green dash, the green climate control, the green footwell lights is sooo much of a put off. i'd rather just drive them during the day..this isn't only in the commodores the statesman is full of green (WH).
Old 08-08-2005, 10:13 PM   #20
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul7v7
I AGREE..finally someone who understands my frustration with the Holden range. I have been in a range of holdens and while they're not bad at all the green dash, the green climate control, the green footwell lights is sooo much of a put off. i'd rather just drive them during the day..this isn't only in the commodores the statesman is full of green (WH).
Interesting. I remember reading that the reason a lot of companies go for green screens is cos they're the least likely to impose fatigue on your eyes - i.e. you can drive with them for longer. Sorta the same theory behind being able to dim the light level in some cars.

I have green screens and dimmer ability in the Focus, its good but there's no doubt I'd rather just straight out white or Blue.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:16 PM   #21
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
Interesting. I remember reading that the reason a lot of companies go for green screens is cos they're the least likely to impose fatigue on your eyes - i.e. you can drive with them for longer. Sorta the same theory behind being able to dim the light level in some cars.

I have green screens and dimmer ability in the Focus, its good but there's no doubt I'd rather just straight out white or Blue.
Greens fine but when I drove my brothers VY Berlina it looked like 10 nintendos were turned on together when I started it. Very offputting. Oh, and the brakes and steering... woody is not a strong enough word for it. Seats were comfy though.

Old 08-08-2005, 10:16 PM   #22
Psycho Chicken
Banned

I don't think it's to do with fatigue, red and green are the only colours that don't kill your natural night vision. So you can glance down at the dash and still be able to see properly when you look up.

But Commodores are green overload.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:22 PM   #23
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Fee fi fo fum I smell detractors lets sikem!!!!!!!!!!!!!
T2Te50

Strike 2

You have ventured to far out in the ice youself.

Have a good week off to recover!
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 10:28 PM   #24
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A car isnt a bloody disco. Green, blue, white, red what does it really have anything to do with how well a car drives.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 10:29 PM   #25
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

JC changed the globes in my dash to blue. Can't stop looking at it. Might explain the half dozen rear enders i've had. :
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2005, 10:33 PM   #26
chippa6
Novice Professional

Excellent post CDAA - great to hear an unbiased opinion in areas that that "us" - drivers, can understand and comprehend. unlike a Motor - or Wheels by which car X pushes understeer 2/10ths more than car Z on a 45 degree negative camber sweeper???

I give full credit to the other makes - my girlfriend drives a VT its a nice car and the seating position is better than the AU I have. but mine is better in other areas.

I love my fords and wouldn't change - its in the blood, but as for bagging other makes because it doesn't have a blue oval is pretty naive. - each have their good and bad points, except somepeople are still looking through the rose coloured glasses when its detrimental to their views.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:38 PM   #27
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
You guys make my blood curdle especialy CDAA.
LMAO...it doesn't take much to get you fired up does it! Listern, I'm posting my experience from this one example in my driveway. I stated the weight of the door gave the 'impression' of good build quality, much like Ford have done on their Focus. Based on your own and obviously many other opinions in this thread, if the VY doors are in fact built badly I'll have to take your word on it. As for the AU and BA doors (same), they gave me no 'build' related quality issues and I have not suggusted they have. How their weighted IMO just makes them 'feel' cheap.

Hope that clears things up mate_2:
Old 08-08-2005, 10:40 PM   #28
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
Hope that clears things up mate_2:
I'm sure he will answer in 10 days or so

Old 08-08-2005, 10:42 PM   #29
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
A car isnt a bloody disco. Green, blue, white, red what does it really have anything to do with how well a car drives.
Likewise wheels, panel work, colour, seats, door trims, radio, god the list goes on. You have to look at it constantly, it's part of the car and should be considered.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:45 PM   #30
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by my gt
well why dont you buy her car, then ill have yet another holden piece of crap to blow away!
holden na dont wANT ONE!!!
Gino, What the??.....lol...
Got to love you're blue blooded enthusiam but...: