Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-07-2005, 09:24 PM   #1
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Default Travelling Costs

Thought i would ask, as we are planning on going to Europe early next year for about 5 weeks or so.

Who here has been there ie: england/germany/holland etc and how much money did you take for spending etc ?

Trying to work out how much i will need / want etc. .. I know the more the better but if anyone has done this and has an idea on how much they spent and is willing to share, that would be a great help.

Cheers

Chris

Old 14-07-2005, 09:29 PM   #2
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only been o/s once back in the70's,my advice would be what ever you think you will need add at least a third or half more.
Sorry can't help more than that.
Oh and make sure you have travel/medical insurance some places can cost about $1k+ a day for a hospital bed.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2005, 10:16 PM   #3
RSgerry
Well hello Mr Fancypants

you cant have enough money. when you are in london, whatever costs $1 here basically costs 1 pound there. the major cities are always expensive. if you can get out of the main tourist bits, you can do okay. a lot depends on what you are looking spending your money on.
RSgerry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2005, 10:50 PM   #4
conordec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

forget the UK.
depends on backpacking and how low you wanna go.
you can get accom for around 35$ a day on average, some more expensive, some less.
if you don't want to do what everyone else does, do eastern europe.
less tacky and more "real".
try prague out, depends summer or winter, cheap as chips and lovely.
cheap skiing too if you're into it.
hollands cool.
if you're there for 5 weeks... DON'T DO A CONTIKI TOUR.
i know alot of people like it and all, but you live on a bus, and don't "experience" the place.
when on holidays you SHOULD get lost, that way you find new things!!!!!
look into festivals, ie, beerfest, but go in the last week, you'll save 50 % on accomodation, and there'll be less aussies around, fair call if you want to hang around with other aussies, nothing wrong with that, but i found it better 2nd time around when there were none... more "loco".
look into san fermin festival in pamps.... it's a hell of a week, tomato festival in italy aswell is really good.
also look into transylvania... now thats "old skool europe!!!"
buy a ticket that alows you a stop over in thailand on the return and chill for 5 days on a beach too, it's cheap and you'll feel better after europe hitting a beach before back in aus at work.
just my thoughts, i've travelled alot.

hooroo

Mick.
conordec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2005, 11:21 PM   #5
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Thanks for those ideas there Mick,

Unfortunately the other half wants to goto the UK, visit her sister who is over there and other things like that, so I have no way out of that.

Prague has been thrown around a bit she would like to go there as well..

The other things you mention sound really good as well, cheers

Chris
Old 14-07-2005, 11:29 PM   #6
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Yea, since the exchange rate is so bad, you will need about double what you would need here...The UK in general isnt too bad, but London is a bit higher than some other places.
Mainland Europe is relatively cheap, like Spain or Holland. France, Belgium, Italy, places like that are more expensive.
Accomodation shouldnt be too bad if you do some shopping around on the net.
Old 15-07-2005, 07:54 AM   #7
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was last there (UK) in 2003 & my plan went something like this....

Purchased as much as I could before I left, in my home currency
(ie Rental Car, British Heritage Pass, Ferry Tickets)

Stayed away from London, travel in for 1,2 or 3 days to do the tourist type stuff

We travelled in the high season, if your going early in the new year it will be cheaper accommodation wise.

Had a budget of £50 per day, not including accommodation, this was way more than we needed (2 people).

It's a great place so much to see & do, amazing history, you'll love it.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2005, 11:28 AM   #8
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you can stay with her sister, that;d be fine then! Good accomodation is half the trouble.

Yeah get around yourself on local buses, trains not contiki type tours. Even hire a car for a week to travel around France, Spain, italy etc, it works out cheaper than you may expect!

Countryside areas of even France are really not that expensive, Italy is cheaper and so is Spain. In the city;s stay perhaps in Nunnerys, good and cheap! and if you really get stuck somewhere sleep in your car :-)
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post