Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-07-2005, 11:42 AM   #1
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Paint Quality - A Few Touchups

Just a quick question. Under a fluro light, like a car park, i can see a dull sheen on my paint. Almost like a milky residue on area's of my paint. And the swirl marks are very clear as well. What can I use to remove that milky film from my paint. I think its just layers of built up wax and polish. I think someone once said some certain meguires products will do the trick. Just wondering which ones I should be looking at. Or whether there is something else other than Meguires I can use. Autoglym or Mothers??

Thanks

Buckie

Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2005, 12:13 PM   #2
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Sounds like you might need a paint cleaner. This will remove the buildup of old products on your paint work and also clean the paint of contaminants. Wash your car with a good dishwashing liquid, then use a good paint cleaning product like a 3M clay bar or Meguires Paint Cleaner.

You'll need to follow up with a good wax after this. I'm no expert - have a read of this - http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=40605
Old 03-07-2005, 12:16 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

Bucky, try Meguiars Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner. Its perfect for that sort of stuff, I gave the Focus a go over in it after I got it and it brought out the metallics in the paint and made it look brand new. Its about $20 a bottle but you can do about 10 cars with a bottle.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:00 PM   #4
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks guys. Appreciate the info. Might head out this arvo and grab some paint cleaner. Black is a great colour, but its easy to notice these blemishes. I'm sure f the car was white or silver, it would look good after just a wash and a chamois.

Thanks again

buckie
Old 03-07-2005, 01:03 PM   #5
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just had a look at that link. There's definatley more too it than just a wash and quick wax.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:20 PM   #6
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I just had a look at that link. There's definatley more too it than just a wash and quick wax.
For sure, that's why I like to get my cars detailed by a pro every 12 months. Its not easy, and if you get it wrong, it often looks worse than before you started. However, for paint that is in quite good condition, a good paint clean and wax will do wonders.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:13 PM   #7
Sylox
Uterus M.I.A.

Bucky you want to spend the money getting a pro to do it
If it has nasty swirls and milky finish take it to a detailer bucky, Honestly the time your going to spend trying to get it right will drive you nuts.

Sylox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2005, 07:11 PM   #8
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I picked up a few products today from Supercheap. Meguires 3 step process, and all the asscoiated applicators and cloth's. I was amased after the paint cleaner how clear the scratches showed : Next the polish and that seemed to bring out a nice shine. Canuba wax really gave it a deep rich finish. Didn't do much for the swirls, but I was still pretty impressed. Now I only did this on the rear quarter. Wanted to try a small area first.

So now I'm going to get the car professionally detailed. But with the meguires products I got, it will help me to maintain my paint after the pro's work their magic.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:39 PM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

Good idea Bucky, Ill be doing the same soon I think, unless I can find something that is super efficient at removing water drop marks.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:51 PM   #10
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what sort of ballpark figure to get a detail like that? outside only...
Old 04-07-2005, 01:56 PM   #11
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
Good idea Bucky, Ill be doing the same soon I think, unless I can find something that is super efficient at removing water drop marks.
It's called a respray... I need one on my roof!
Old 04-07-2005, 02:42 PM   #12
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
It's called a respray... I need one on my roof!
i was thinking more a good buff......................:
Old 04-07-2005, 05:52 PM   #13
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Made my booking today. Going to go from top to bottom both inside and out. Through a company in Canberra called Injekt'd. He said they will buff out the swirl marks and scratches. Thats for the 29th. Just before Peter Warren weekend. Its pricey, but I think its gotta be done. Maintaining a black car I think costs more in time and money. I hope the results speak for themselves
Old 05-07-2005, 03:05 AM   #14
460cixy
burn out king

dude i would personaly use some one else. that place is next door to our watering hole and lets just say thay like giveing the cars a good rev then park them in the pub car park after. i dont even park in the pub carpark too many knobs.
460cixy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 07:44 AM   #15
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460cixy
dude i would personaly use some one else. that place is next door to our watering hole and lets just say thay like giveing the cars a good rev then park them in the pub car park after. i dont even park in the pub carpark too many knobs.
Thanks for the heads up. I might give it some serious thought.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:19 PM   #16
460cixy
burn out king

fore warned is fore armed mate . wouldent want anything happening to another forum members car
Old 05-07-2005, 03:26 PM   #17
Sylox
Uterus M.I.A.

If your worried Bucky call the meguiars hotline and ask for a referal to a meguiars detailer in your area...

Sylox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 03:57 PM   #18
Mr Cube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
So now I'm going to get the car professionally detailed. But with the meguires products I got, it will help me to maintain my paint after the pro's work their magic.
Thats my approach aswell, pay the pros, it is usually only $125 - $250

The 2 times I got it done one was a guy in Canberra by the name of Mike who used to do the cars for the Porsche Dealership he charged me $250, he is a pensioner and the money goes to his model collection (biggest I have seen) The next time $125 down here at the Bay and left everywhere. When Mike saw the car at the last Show and Shine he said what did you clean that yourself for, and picked out left overs and run off I didn't even notice.. Didn't have the heart to tell him I payed someone to do it...

After Mike does the car, all I use is Meguiars products up keep it and it last for a good side of a year.

AUI VCT:
To date - Big brake upgrade, Koni and Kings all round, 2.5 cat back ready for replacing, 19" again ready for replacing.

Planned - Too much now I got the baby back.
Mr Cube is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 01:53 AM   #19
460cixy
burn out king

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylox
If your worried Bucky call the meguiars hotline and ask for a referal to a meguiars detailer in your area...
sweet i was not aware that you could do that. thats prety cool will be keeping that in mind