Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-07-2021, 06:37 PM   #1
Yabbie
Starter Motor

Angry XY Gt Replicas BEWARE!

G' Day All, I am on the last stages of putting a XY replica back together for a mate. He blew up the last engine by pulling a valve collet, bending a valve and driving it home which resulted in a spun bearing, put in a second hand engine which wore a hole though the bottom of one lifter. Ended up rebuilding that engine with new crowe cam, collets, keepers, oil pump, timing chain, etc. While fitting the engine with some unknown @#%! brand extractors a few problems were noticed resulting in: all rubber brake hoses replaced, all brakes rebuilt, fuel tank removed, cleaned sealed and refitted, new fuel gauge sender unit fitted, replace ignition switch and wiring, new oil sender fitted, F@#$%ing extractors wrapped to protect starter and clutch hose/pipe, new engine mounts, twin EF fan assembly fitted to desert core ( it was in the car when built ) 3 core radiator with davies craig twin relay electronic fan module, extensive rewiring / insulation for feed cable to starter ( battery ) in boot., plug off heater supply ( only have top and bottom hoses now }, replace bull..it pedders suspension bushes. This car was bought from down south, supposed to have been checked out by reputable company who reckons they know best.. The original engine was fitted with a stroker and cam but not the steel keepers collets etc, the car itself after 12 months started to bubble in the paint work, the rh inner sill was cut out another sill fitted... and I pushed my finger though it while checking wiring. Long story short rebuilt car! Still got to do rear springs as they are bent / sagged between rear of diff housing and hanger. replace handbrake cable( too short ) make up holder plate for lower gearshift boot.

So me mate paid for the parts... I gave him labor free, he now has a car that's a bloody sight better then he bought. Being in the Top End a fella just can't go and look at the car himself, employ an outfit who supposed to do it for him and this is what he got. ( top Speed 121 mile/hr ) not too bad for a cammed 351. Any way as my old man taught me do it once properly or don't do it at all.

Cheers Yabbie in the Top End.

Last edited by Yabbie; 07-07-2021 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Left some statement out.
Yabbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2021, 10:10 PM   #2
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Default Re: XY Gt Replicas BEWARE!

Common story.
OH the joy of owning old cars.

Last edited by Mont5.0; 07-07-2021 at 10:24 PM. Reason: sex change
Mont5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2021, 11:47 PM   #3
ESPJG32

My motto has always been, if you cant inspect it, you cant buy it.

Also what you have gone thru is the very reason I dont do other peoples work, if I dont own it, I dont fix it.
ESPJG32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2021, 01:16 PM   #4
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess the car is a replica and its 50 odd years old, god knows how many spanners have been thrown at it over the years.
a modern car can be ruined by a bad wheel alignment.
the Motto above rings true, but Id add if you not doing the work yourself be prepared to spend $$$
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2021, 02:29 PM   #5
slowsnake
Banned

Been there, done that!....but only once....it was a Brougham HK from memory, 307ci Chev motor, spent every night and weekend cutting rust, I even painted it, it was a mate, a brother, he took it out first time to a certain RSL club, got a cover note for some ungodly amount.

It was a beauty too, I never saw it again, never got to loan it for a weekend as promised, never got to cut and buff and polished my handiwork.

I could go killed him if I could of found him, he knew when he asked for my help, and he was my best mate and also my boss, but he knew watching me working at midnight on this car that it was an insurance job!..
Things were never the same afterwards, bloody maggot....

Cheers King Billy
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2021, 10:17 PM   #6
mondeomatureguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Guy's
Way back in 1977 when i was younger and working in Paddington in Sydney i worked with a guy who brought a second hand XY GTHO Red and a 4 speed manual gear box.

At the time our boss had a XA Ford fairmont Coupe with a 351 engine in it and he had a mate who was a ford expert and could tell a fake from the real thing.
He brought him to work and they got the XY GTHO that my work mate had brought and checked it right over.

It turned out to be a Normal falcon XY done up to look like a GTHO and not a real GTHO.
He did keep the car for a few more years but it was written off in a Car accident on the way to Dubbo.
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: