Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-11-2020, 05:45 AM   #1
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Default victoria to tax hybrid & electric vehicles as of 2021.

we all saw this coming, part from the age newspaper today :

Victoria will start taxing electric vehicle owners next year for every kilometre they drive in a budget initiative the state Labor government says will make road charging "fairer" for all motorists.

The government’s new electric vehicle charge will levy 2.5 cents per kilometre driven by electric and other low emissions vehicles and 2 cents for plug-in hybrid electric models.

Mr Pallas said on Saturday he expected the charge to raise about $30 million, with the average motorist paying a "modest charge" of between $260 and $300 a year.

“When you consider that people who drive internal combustion engines, either petrol or diesel, those people are paying every day fuel excise,” the Treasurer said.

"If you’re not filling your vehicle up with petrol, then ultimately you’re not paying your share of maintenance costs of dealing with our road system, so this is essentially the government making it a fairer system that so that everybody pays their fair share of that wear and tear."
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-11-2020, 08:23 AM   #2
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: victoria to tax hybrid & electric vehicles as of 2021.

Eventually so many people will be charging electric cars overnight the off peak won’t exist anymore, power companies will increase the night time usage costs to the same as day time.
Electric cars may need less maintenance, but whatever they do need will cost and arm and a leg

There’s no way governments and large companies will allow the electric gravy train to run forever. They will all find a way to take a cut.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-11-2020, 09:09 AM   #3
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Still a bit cheaper than petrol or diesel tax,which is around $.45 per litre.If the average motorist drives 15k per year at 8 litres per 100km,the tax is around $540 compared to $375 for electric tax.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2020, 11:28 AM   #4
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Eventually so many people will be charging electric cars overnight the off peak won’t exist anymore, power companies will increase the night time usage costs to the same as day time.
Electric cars may need less maintenance, but whatever they do need will cost and arm and a leg

There’s no way governments and large companies will allow the electric gravy train to run forever. They will all find a way to take a cut.
I’m waiting for the day they start taxing us for the solar power we generate.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-11-2020, 11:42 AM   #5
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000 View Post

"If you’re not filling your vehicle up with petrol, then ultimately you’re not paying your share of maintenance costs of dealing with our road system, so this is essentially the government making it a fairer system that so that everybody pays their fair share of that wear and tear."
Isn't that what car registration is for?
So you pay an extra $375 for 15k km + the added premium put on top of the cost of an electric vehicle (includes stamp duty). I'm not seeing any incentive to get one.
Old 22-11-2020, 11:49 AM   #6
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Isn't that what car registration is for?
So you pay an extra $375 for 15k km + the added premium put on top of the cost of an electric vehicle (includes stamp duty). I'm not seeing any incentive to get one.
I don’t know that very much of rego fees goes to road maintenance.Most of the rego fee is made up of CTP Ins.Roads are supposed to be funded by the fuel excise,but I reckon a fair bit it put into general revenue to pay overpaid public servants etc,so there isn’t enough left to build the roads we should have.
Old 22-11-2020, 12:00 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

So I'd be paying rego + $1000 in road user charges, same with my old man.

It works out around $250 cheaper what the old man spends in fuel excise per year but the bull**** of charging the car he's saying he'd rather pay the extra $250 in taxes at the pump across the year.

I'm surprised they just haven't decided to get Transurban to build all our roads then everything becomes toll roads
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2020, 01:23 PM   #8
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

There is no free lunch, people thinking that they will pay 12 cents to charge their vehicle and avoid fuel and road taxes are kidding themselves.
Governments and energy companies will move to ensure that they maintain income regardless of what mode of power delivery is chosen.
You’ll pay more for EVs and more for all the costs that various interest groups think that you’re avoiding with an EV.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2020, 03:26 PM   #9
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

I think for vic anyway this is the beginning of a kilometre fee that all drivers will pay for.. im expecting this will be enforced during a annual rwc check where the mechanics will log klms travelled.. once it gets expanded the narrative will be that by paying a klm tax on ice cars they will encourage the uptake of more ev's compared to the rising cost of ice vehicles
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
Old 22-11-2020, 03:47 PM   #10
.:4:.
Kicking back

Theres 3 things the government tax hard. They tell you to stop, and dont really want that. But its revenue. Thats petrol, alcohol, and cigarettes.
Anyhow. They cannot tax everybody harder for electricity because thats unfair. Everybody uses electricity. Not everyone has an electric car, or a car at all. Just my view, so just an opinion. But if they see tax revenue diminishing, obvoisly they want the coffers full. Fuel excise is one thing. Plugging your car in at say an off peak time to slow charge, that puts normal people who pay additional tax at a disadvantage. Yes, appart from the manufacturing, ev is environmentally friendly to a degree. But taxes pay for stuff like healthcare, road maintenance, education and all that stuff. Rant over
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2020, 04:45 PM   #11
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lulz...
Old 22-11-2020, 07:28 PM   #12
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000 View Post
I think for vic anyway this is the beginning of a kilometre fee that all drivers will pay for.. im expecting this will be enforced during a annual rwc check where the mechanics will log klms travelled.. once it gets expanded the narrative will be that by paying a klm tax on ice cars they will encourage the uptake of more ev's compared to the rising cost of ice vehicles
Possibly creating a bigger divide between those who must drive to work (long distances) vs those who live inner city and can walk, cycle or tram it in. Would be interesting to see the impact it would have on the local holiday, instead of driving it might be cheaper to fly.
Interesting times ahead.
Old 22-11-2020, 11:00 PM   #13
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How does it work for interstate travel? Say I drive from Geelong to Cairns, that’s a few hundred k’s in Vic but a couple of thousand interstate. So how would that be taxed seeing as the vast majority wasn’t travelled in Victorian roads?
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2020, 11:13 PM   #14
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
How does it work for interstate travel? Say I drive from Geelong to Cairns, that’s a few hundred k’s in Vic but a couple of thousand interstate. So how would that be taxed seeing as the vast majority wasn’t travelled in Victorian roads?
It will have to be administered Federally, the same as GST & Fuel Excise. I would think...
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2020, 11:21 PM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
I don't think that will make any difference - its going to be a case of you did X amount of kilometers in 12 months - you pay Y amount of tax.

Doesn't matter if you drive from Geelong to Melbourne or from Melbourne to the moon, what kilometers you do, you pay for regardless of where they were done, car is registered in Victoria.
Old 23-11-2020, 01:48 AM   #16
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I don't think that will make any difference - its going to be a case of you did X amount of kilometers in 12 months - you pay Y amount of tax.

Doesn't matter if you drive from Geelong to Melbourne or from Melbourne to the moon, what kilometers you do, you pay for regardless of where they were done, car is registered in Victoria.
sadly franco, id say you are right.. old daniel has a fair bill to pay back now, these 140 or so days have cost us a fair bit & we are only now gonna start feeling the financial pain..

Previous:
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
Old 23-11-2020, 07:34 AM   #17
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post

When labour and the greens get rid of the last coal fired power station there wonr be any electricity at night anyway
Old 23-11-2020, 09:01 AM   #18
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lets all jump on our bicycles and then no one pays tax. It will take Govco 2.5 miliseconds to finally figure out how to tax them. They demand the infrastructure but pay sfa.
Old 23-11-2020, 09:05 AM   #19
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun View Post
Lets all jump on our bicycles and then no one pays tax. It will take Govco 2.5 miliseconds to finally figure out how to tax them. They demand the infrastructure but pay sfa.
Here we go, this old chestnut..........I own a fleet of trucks and ride bicycles, it will never happen due to too much paperwork and pencil pushers needed to administer it.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2020, 09:25 AM   #20
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun View Post
I'm not too keen on a 55km ride to work to be honest
2 users like this post:
Old 23-11-2020, 10:14 AM   #21
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
It will have to be administered Federally, the same as GST & Fuel Excise. I would think...
I see another Razorback happening in the distant future
Old 23-11-2020, 12:57 PM   #22
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I've got no issue with it. Everyone should pay their share to use the roads. But they can jam an across the board road tax up their clacker.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2020, 08:55 PM   #23
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Could make for a good reality TV show though...
Old 23-11-2020, 08:58 PM   #24
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
One night the sibling was p1ssed as a newt at a mate's place somewhere down the freeway in Perth. He decided driving was a no-no, so to borrow the mate's BMX and (barely) cycle home on the safe, smooth cyclepath that runs parallel and separate to the freeway.

So off he went, through the suburb, to the freeway cyclepath and on his way. After about a couple of hours of cycling, things didn't look right. He'd taken the wrong turn...
Old 23-11-2020, 11:22 PM   #25
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
I see another Razorback happening in the distant future
41 years ago but wouldnt happen now with all the soft ***** around,most here wouldnt know what u r talking about i bet
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2020, 12:43 PM   #26
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's a lot of anger on social media about this from people that never saw this coming..
blows me away how naïve some of them are.

Wait till there's a disposal tax on old batteries like they have on tyres.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2020, 01:05 PM   #27
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
There's a lot of anger on social media about this from people that never saw this coming..
blows me away how naïve some of them are.

Wait till there's a disposal tax on old batteries like they have on tyres.
Spot on. Do people think the governments would miss out on their slice of revenue?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2020, 02:22 PM   #28
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Beautiful. Stop the public conversion to EV's before it's even taken hold yet. They can't seem to wait to get a hold of that extra $$$

Gotta love this type of thinking.
Old 24-11-2020, 02:31 PM   #29
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniSS View Post
Beautiful. Stop the public conversion to EV's before it's even taken hold yet. They can't seem to wait to get a hold of that extra $$$

BUT.Why should it cost me $7-800 per year to drive on the roads,yet you in your EV can drive on the same roads for nothing
2 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2020, 02:37 PM   #30
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniSS View Post

You never saw this coming did you..

everything comes at a cost.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post