Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-12-2015, 08:25 PM   #1
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default What cheap safe efficient car for Daughter?

So, I taught my daughter to drive in a manual Camry V6, our 3rd car, and she refused to let me teach her car control, sliding in wet, and lock up braking etc.

Refused to even consider letting me teach her these things, saying "Dad I am not interested in your racing and hooning" and rolled her eyes and moaned to my wife that I was guilty of child abuse for trying to teach her such antisocial irresponsible behaviours..... She went and got her license first go, drove real slow and instructor said she was ok but slow. I felt like saying that she cannot drive-she is unsafe etc etc. Anyways, I had my reservations....

Anyway, 10 months later, today in Newcastle, wet, she has totalled the Camry. In a rush for work, missed a turn hit the anchors, locked up tyres, and got into a slide, another car took out her total passenger side, and immediately thereafter another car took out the rear.....

Nobody hurt thank goodness.

So, what car should I look at that is cheap, reasonably efficient, and one that has abs for a person who cannot drive. Been a very long time since I bought a second hand car and I am out of the loop as to what are good things for cheap good value. Most important thing -one that is safe for drivers who do not understand the foggiest about car control.

Cheers and thanks for any suggestions as to where I should start the search...

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2015, 08:30 PM   #2
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Default Re: What cheap safe efficient car for Daughter?

Budget? Size? Manual? Auto?
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-12-2015, 08:33 PM   #3
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
Budget? Size? Manual? Auto?
Manual, budget to probably $7,000, less would be good, size not fussed, not a gass guzzler.

Cheers

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
Old 22-12-2015, 08:36 PM   #4
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Glad nobody was hurt. If she won't let you teach her, maybe you could persuade her to attend a commercial defensive driving course? Maybe she'll be more receptive now.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2015, 09:05 PM   #5
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Hyundai make a good product but I am not a fan of FWD. When my kids got their license I waited a few months then shouted them an advanced driving course. Worth considering now maybe as she may be open to the idea now?
Old 22-12-2015, 09:05 PM   #6
Mulberry Laine

You want a car with all the safety gear on it for a person who cannot drive?(you said yourself).Why and the hell is she on the road,learning to control a car in a slide etc is one of the first things you should learn.Kick her *** buy an old crapper, and get her out in a paddock to learn properly.

Last edited by Mulberry Laine; 22-12-2015 at 09:06 PM. Reason: censor
Mulberry Laine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2015, 09:11 PM   #7
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Shouldn't she be learning to drive first?
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2015, 09:15 PM   #8
Carrion

Buy her one of these. Great value.

Carrion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2015, 09:18 PM   #9
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

I looked at a 2005 subaru impreza for a mate recently with only 75,000km on it picked it up for 7k it has abs, awd, fun bags and relatively cheap to maintain. Having awd is a nice touch with the weather in Newcastle today. My daughter also has a subie I would prefer an awd in the wet and slippery conditions especially with my daughter driving.

Oh' and insure it with AAMI they have free safe driver classes for young drivers done at SMSP on the skid pan

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2015, 09:25 PM   #10
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrion View Post
Buy her one of these. Great value.

Yeah- if in Sydney this would be the TICKET.

But Newcastle-crappy public transport, and she goes to uni and has 3 part time jobs.

Old 22-12-2015, 09:28 PM   #11
ReVd_uP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm currently selling my wife's 09 Lancer at the moment, it's an auto though, been a top little car for the last 6 yrs
ReVd_uP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2015, 09:29 PM   #12
Falcman0o7
Banned

BA XR6 Turbo.
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2015, 09:35 PM   #13
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulberry Laine View Post
You want a car with all the safety gear on it for a person who cannot drive?(you said yourself).Why and the hell is she on the road,learning to control a car in a slide etc is one of the first things you should learn.Kick her *** buy an old crapper, and get her out in a paddock to learn properly.
Thing is, that's why I let her use the hand me down Family Camry, thinking it is big and safe.

But, when I taught her to drive, I taught her to pass the driving test, and did my best to teach her defensive driving ie approaching an intersection with car, hover foot over brake in anticipation of braking, always look for dangers, and constantly think about options to evade collision etc.

But there is a difference between defensive driving and really learning car control, ie high speed brake lockup with no abs, sliding in wet and how it feels and how to deal with it-all this stuff you need to experience and then go to an area void of public and practice and practice. It is not a natural thing to acquire such car control, well it was not for me, but after practice it becomes innate and is imprinted into ones reflexes.

How many young drivers getting their Red Ps really know car control?

My daughter has got the speed gene passed down from my father through me, but has refused to open her mind to let me really teach her car control.

I think I may say-I am not getting a third car unless you learn car control to my satisfaction, I am not throwing good money after bad and you can go get your own car .....

2 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2015, 09:35 PM   #14
minheim

Have a look for a CJ lancer. They have ESC, ABS and TC. If you stretch the budget a little you might be able to score a later model with side airbags. They also are built with a rigid unibody with extensive use of high strength steel and are a a pretty solid vehicle. They are also one of the most reliable model cars around and have low maintenance costs and use a timing chain not a timing belt.
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2015, 09:37 PM   #15
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by minheim View Post
Have a look for a CJ lancer. They have ESC, ABS and TC. If you stretch the budget a little you might be able to score a later model with side airbags. They also are built with a rigid unibody with extensive use of high strength steel and are a a pretty solid vehicle. They are also one of the most reliable model cars around and have low maintenance costs and use a timing chain not a timing belt.
Thanks - this sounds a very very good suggestion, as did the Subaru, but Subbies I have found can be expensive to maintain.

Old 22-12-2015, 09:38 PM   #16
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7 View Post
BA XR6 Turbo.
We have a winner....

Old 22-12-2015, 09:39 PM   #17
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
So, I taught my daughter to drive in a manual Camry V6, our 3rd car, and she refused to let me teach her car control, sliding in wet, and lock up braking etc.

Refused to even consider letting me teach her these things, saying "Dad I am not interested in your racing and hooning" and rolled her eyes and moaned to my wife that I was guilty of child abuse for trying to teach her such antisocial irresponsible behaviours..... She went and got her license first go, drove real slow and instructor said she was ok but slow. I felt like saying that she cannot drive-she is unsafe etc etc. Anyways, I had my reservations....

Anyway, 10 months later, today in Newcastle, wet, she has totalled the Camry. In a rush for work, missed a turn hit the anchors, locked up tyres, and got into a slide, another car took out her total passenger side, and immediately thereafter another car took out the rear.....

So, what car should I look at that is cheap, reasonably efficient, and one that has abs for a person who cannot drive. Been a very long time since I bought a second hand car and I am out of the loop as to what are good things for cheap good value. Most important thing -one that is safe for drivers who do not understand the foggiest about car control.

Corolla or a Golf fits the bill for you best. Of course try get the newer ones, mid 2000s and onwards for both. I'd personally say Corolla if it'll be almost always driven in city, and golf if she'll be driving it on the highways often enough to justify the extra handling and stability so to speak.

However, if you're putting a larger emphasis on safety features to make up for lack of driver interest (no offense to your daughter, many are like her), then a Volvo would be your port of call. Volvo's and safety aren't just stereotypes, they basically build private tanks. Not as efficient as the other two and you might be hard pressed to find a manual volvo, but if you're willing to compromise those to requirements modern Volvo's are the safest things you can buy.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2015, 09:43 PM   #18
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Who is buying the car?? You or her.

Personally I think kids get stuff way way too easy these days, if she has written of the car that she was given and is not interested in learning how to drive properly might be time to learn a hard lesson and catch a bus, or buy your own car.

I never had a car bought for me, I bought my own once I got a license, when I wrote off my first car it was my problem, not my parents.

Up to you.

Personally with my kids, who are not driving yet I will be looking at something reasonably slow, without too many bells and whistles to distract young drivers.

Possibly look at a small SUV style vehicle, I am not a huge fan of small cars, really it's up to her and what she can afford...

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2015, 09:53 PM   #19
josh1990
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty321 View Post
Corolla or a Golf fits the bill for you best. Of course try get the newer ones, mid 2000s and onwards for both. I'd personally say Corolla if it'll be almost always driven in city, and golf if she'll be driving it on the highways often enough to justify the extra handling and stability so to speak.

However, if you're putting a larger emphasis on safety features to make up for lack of driver interest (no offense to your daughter, many are like her), then a Volvo would be your port of call. Volvo's and safety aren't just stereotypes, they basically build private tanks. Not as efficient as the other two and you might be hard pressed to find a manual volvo, but if you're willing to compromise those to requirements modern Volvo's are the safest things you can buy.
Mrs has a 2004 corolla and her mother a 2008 corolla. Don't waste your money, biggest **** heaps with problems. Neither have many Kay's (both under 130k) and mostly same niggling problems. Just replaced the shocks in the '04, it slid out on wet corners whilst driving to the conditions. CD players stop working, central locking problems, poor seats.
Old 22-12-2015, 09:53 PM   #20
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Can't believe how much rain has fallen today in Newcastle....Saw quite a few prangs today.

Glad to hear that everyone is ok....

My wife has an 04 Astra and they are a solid car. Cheap to buy, run & maintain (just need a set of those hex spanners).

Well worth a look in my opinion.
Old 22-12-2015, 10:11 PM   #21
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Just ease up on her for a minute, you are channelling your years of driving experience onto her with the expectation that she will drive to your skill level. It sounds like in this instance she suffered from inattention, if you have followed any car with P plates, its clear the drivers head is in 3 different places. We have all suffered the same while getting experienced.
5-7 k buys a lot of car nowadays, Corolla, Mazda 3, Lancer, Elantra, Camry, Magna, Civic, are all your friends.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 22-12-2015, 10:13 PM   #22
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like you and your daughter are at loggerheads on the driving ��

As others have said an advanced driving course might be a better way of her learning as it's clear she has issues with your methods, you can force her all you like with you as an instructor but she won't listen.

Perhaps use this incident as 'motivation' to learn these skills (fear can be a good motivator)

As for the car, Scoobydoos are a good car go for ever reasonable to maintain don't drink to much and are well appointed by way of safety features corolla's and Mazda 3's are all good cars aswell

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2015, 10:25 PM   #23
rjk74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My missus has a lv Focus manual 2010 been pretty reliable would'nt touch an auto, they've got abs,stability control,6 airbags.
rjk74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2015, 10:27 PM   #24
Mulberry Laine

Quote:
Thing is, that's why I let her use the hand me down Family Camry, thinking it is big and safe.

But, when I taught her to drive, I taught her to pass the driving test, and did my best to teach her defensive driving ie approaching an intersection with car, hover foot over brake in anticipation of braking, always look for dangers, and constantly think about options to evade collision etc.

But there is a difference between defensive driving and really learning car control, ie high speed brake lockup with no abs, sliding in wet and how it feels and how to deal with it-all this stuff you need to experience and then go to an area void of public and practice and practice. It is not a natural thing to acquire such car control, well it was not for me, but after practice it becomes innate and is imprinted into ones reflexes.

My daughter has got the speed gene passed down from my father through me, but has refused to open her mind to let me really teach her car control.

I think I may say-I am not getting a third car unless you learn car control to my satisfaction, I am not throwing good money after bad and you can go get your own car .....
You still aren't addressing the real problem,SHE CANT DRIVE.
Like you said you taught her to pass the driving test,half the muppets sitting next to them (instructors)cant drive either,so passing the test is easy as you found out.
Driving can put you in dangerous situations,which requires a certain skill set to make sure you have the best chances of surviving if the worst happens.
Im not the greatest driver in the world,but I made damn sure my Daughter and son had as much experience that I could give them before they got on the road.They both started in an XK falcon manual 3 in the tree,then progressed to a v8 zg fairlane ,4x4 patrol,and finally our Fg xr6 turbo.Dirt roads,wet ,dry,fast ,slow,slides ,burnouts you name it we tried to do it.Yes I have more grey hairs,and stained my undies a few times but in the end got their licenses first go and instructors couldn't believe how well they drove.
Now I don't worry as much when they are on the road as they can only get better with more experience.
How would you feel if out of her incompetence she cause the death of herself or someone else on the road? Because that is what it could come down to.
Mulberry Laine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2015, 10:28 PM   #25
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
THIRD car?? If she's crashed the first two I'd be telling her "you bend it, you mend it'

Stop spoiling her.
Old 22-12-2015, 10:35 PM   #26
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Are you saying she's crashed three cars?? If yes you both need your heads read!
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2015, 10:37 PM   #27
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Uber for now.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2015, 10:40 PM   #28
ingles
Starter Motor

Not directed at OP, but my experience of topic; kids are taught how to pass the test now, not how to drive-its the current system.Soon as the rules are improved and kids taught car control, AND how to pass a test, this type of situation wont occur.
ingles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2015, 11:03 PM   #29
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My son brought an 18 month old Hyundai i20 ex rental 33000km $9750 drive away 6 months rego from Pickerings Townsville. Not a fast car but has 5 star ANCAP rating number of things wrong with it loose control on air conditioner vent ,button not working on trip computer fixed under warranty hood lining starting to peel at back of roof they are replacing that warranty is good. We looked at cheaper second hand cars and thought this was a better way to go with new car warranty for 3.5 years plus another 1.5 years used car warranty which is probably not much use. Paint felt like sandpaper on roof had to clay bar it
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2015, 11:10 PM   #30
marty351
Shenanigans..............

62 VW beetle. My sisters first car, no crashes, 4 wheel drum brakes, 40hp, no power steering, mobile death trap when used incorrectly, teach her the basics of driving, and when she can use this car at its limits, upgrade.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post