Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 09-09-2014, 06:44 PM   #1
Wombat John
Starter Motor

Default 97 HC - Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement

The car is a recently bought, second hand, Mk2 Mondeo, HC, November 1997 build, LX trim, 2.0l, auto. Also recently roadworthied and registered. As there is no service history, it has been decided that timing belt of unknown age must be replaced as a matter of some urgency.

In preparing for this, I have studied the Haynes manual, a couple of youtube videos and something claiming to be a ford workshop manual. I purchased or fabricated the tools I expected to use. I found a very reasonably priced timing belt kit (under $110), along with a water pump (under $50) so I thought I'd do that too (since it's behind the timing belt, and I don't want to touch that again if I don't have to).

Since starting this operation, I have had many questions, answered through research and trying stuff. Two questions remain:

1) The Haynes manual suggests that this first time the timing belt is changed on this engine (pre 5/98), a tensioner spring and retaining pin must be fitted. I was suprised to find that the old timing belt looked pretty new, but there was neither spring nor pin. I went to the local wrecker, and their Mondeo had no spring or pin, either. I have come to the conclusion that these springs hadn't been fitted at the first belt change, and were perhaps unnecessary. Is this correct?

2) I am struggling to remove the water pump. The difficulty is detaching the hose from the pump. I've tried unbolting the power steering pump and moving it out of the way to gain access, but wasn't able to move it far enough. I fear I may have to disconnect the power steering hoses to remove the power steering pump from the car, to be able to reach the hose clamp to enable the water pump replacement. Is this correct? Or does anyone know an easier way?

Thanks, all.

Wombat John is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2014, 07:12 PM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 97 HC - Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement

Not familiar with the donk mate so no help you with the first question, getting the hose off the pump is not uncommon though if it's been on for some time though, if you could get at it enough to slide a screwdriver or the blade of a butter knife or something between the hose and the pump to break the bond between the pump and the hose and then twist it off, sometimes it will just take brute force.
In one instance no amount of swearing, pulling , prodding, levering would budge a hose off an engine years ago........ so I cut the bastard off and put a new hose on.
If the hose is such a mongrel to get at and is quite old that might be a good option anyway.
good luck.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-09-2014, 09:57 AM   #3
Wombat John
Starter Motor

Thanks for the suggestion, mik. While I have cut a few radiator hoses off in my time, I'm not inclined to cut this one. It seems to be in good condition, unreasonably complicated (4 or five openings), a tad expensive (saw one for 43GBP on ebay), and still very inaccessible (I haven't been able to even touch the hose clamp).

Hoping someone around here has done this sort of stuff in this engine bay before ...
Old 12-09-2014, 12:11 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No worries mate, yes its a bit of a bugger getting at some things, very annoying when you have to dismantle half of a car to do a simple job, i must confess this is one my reasons I'm not a fan of East West motors, that being said you can find difficult spots somewhere on most cars regardless.
Sometimes there are just no short cuts , i don't suppose there is any chance of getting at it from under the car ???
Old 12-09-2014, 01:16 PM   #5
Wombat John
Starter Motor

Under the car doesn't look terribly helpful. Guess I'll just bite the bullet, and pull the PS pump completely out, and hope that's enough.

Thanks for the motivational speech
Old 12-09-2014, 03:07 PM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good luck with it mate.