Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-02-2014, 08:59 PM   #1
4stanger
Powered By EcoBoost

Default Adelaide surrounds in one day

Hi all.
Coming to Clipsal and helping the SA economy.
Would like some info on, what one can achieve in one day touring Adelaide's districts.
When Clipsal is finished, My wife & I would like to hire a car and see the Birdswood museum & visit Victor Harbor,
Is this possible in one day (dawn to dusk)? & is there any other areas that would be worth while a visit on the way?
Not interested in wine, remember, we all have different tastes.

4stanger is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2014, 09:10 PM   #2
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Default Re: Adelaide surrounds in one day

That's a tough ask Arnaldo. Victor harbour is down south and Birdwood is north up into the hills. I'd say your only hope would be to start out at the crack of dawn and go down to Victor for a quick rubber neck then head north and spend the rest of the day at Birdwood. You'll want at least 2 hours minimum to tour Birdwood and that's if you don't stop to read anything or check out the displays too closely. Last time I did it I took closer to 4 hrs than 2, but that was with a bit of a sit down and drink and feed.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-02-2014, 10:14 PM   #3
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i would go the other way, hit the hills for an early morning drive to Birdwood

head the back way south towards victor

*do not miss this place*

http://melbaschocolates.com.au/woodside.asp

Victor, go fish n chips somewhere on the esplanade

win
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2014, 10:48 PM   #4
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Im with PB.

From the city take Payneham rd, it runs NE from the eastern end of north tce.
Follow that until you reach the Lower NE rd intersection.
Take the left branch onto lower NE rd and continue until you reach the lights at Gorge rd.
Turn right into Gorge rd and follow it to Gumeracha.
Its a fun strap through some twisties arriving at Gumeracha, home of the worlds biggest rocking horse, a fauna park and a wooden toy factory. Its out on the Gumeracha to Birdwood rd a couple of k's and worth an hour of your time. If you arrive at open it wont be busy and will still allow time for the rest.
From the carpark turn right and head for Birdwood. It is only a 10 minute run along a picturesque waterway, well it is in the wet months.
From Birdwood head east(left from the museum carpark) until you reach the Onkaparinga valley hwy. Turn right and follow it to Mt torrens.
Continue on through Charleston, Woodside, Oakbank until you reach Verdun.
At this point you can either take the back road through Hahndorf and Totness then onto Mt Barker, or you can just turn left onto the SE freeway and head for Mt Barker.
Either way, from Mt barker you are looking for Strathalbyn, you can either go through Macclesfield or down the Wellington and Long Valley rds.
From Strath, follow the signs to Goolwa.
From Goolwa, follow the signs to Victor, and from victor take the Victor harbour rd from the roundabout at the top of the hill and head for Adelaide.

There's plenty to do and see along the way, but in reality to get the most from it a few days would be required.
As a day trip with a handful of stops it makes a great drive of varying conditions but you will be spent at the end.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2014, 06:14 PM   #5
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hahndorf is worth spending some time in
Old 18-02-2014, 06:30 PM   #6
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

blow all that...the city is alive with fringe and festival. One of the worlds great fesitval periods and events. The city is where its happening over that period.
However if thats not your thing birdwood in the morning, Victor mid-late afternoon and chips on the foreshore after walking across the bridge and watch the sun set, then 1.5-2 hours back to the city as mentioned.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2014, 07:01 PM   #7
4stanger
Powered By EcoBoost

Wednesday til Tuesday we will be staying at Glenelg, Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday doing the Adelaide City, Clipsal, concerts etc. while I have the pass for public transport, Plane leaves Tuesday so Monday is basically what I am limited to, I have never been down that way & google maps can only help you so much, Thanks for the info, good local knowledge from real locals does help a lot.
10am is the time Birdwood opens so I will have to plan a trip around the opening time or the 5 pm closing time. Birdwood is for me, Victor harbor is for the missus and anything we can fit in between is a bonus.
4stanger is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2014, 07:09 PM   #8
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From the bottom of Gorge rd to Birdwood is only around ten or fifteen minutes on a Ducati....

bike or no bike, I would start from there
2 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2014, 07:13 PM   #9
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Victor, sundown, browny points

thank me later
2 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2014, 12:30 AM   #10
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnaldo View Post
10am is the time Birdwood opens so I will have to plan a trip around the opening time or the 5 pm closing time. Birdwood is for me, Victor harbor is for the missus and anything we can fit in between is a bonus.
This would fit in with the Toy factory in Gumeracha as that opens from 9am daily.
If you left the bay at 8am, taking it easy, you would be at Gumeracha by 9am, a quick look around, and it is genuinely worth a look, should take 45 minutes.
from there it is only a 5-10 minute trip to Birdwood so you would arrive at opening time.
There is lots to see but unless your into vintage stuff you will glide through much of it.
I've never spent more than a couple of hours unless a car show was on the oval.

If you left Birdwood around lunchtime you would be in Victor by 3-30-4pm taking it easy and having a look around on the way.
Its not getting dark until 8ish now so you would have time for a stroll around granite island or whatever.
The Bluff car park is worth a look for its 360* views.
If you get a chance, drop into Pt Elliot, aka Horse shoe bay as you pass between Goolwa and Victor. It is one of the nicest spots in south Australia.

The drive back from victor to Glenelg should only take you an hour and a half and is a good road, but take it easy as it has claimed its share over the years.
Old 19-02-2014, 11:15 AM   #11
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
.....from there it is only a 5-10 minute trip to Birdwood so you would arrive at opening time.
There is lots to see but unless your into vintage stuff you will glide through much of it.
I've never spent more than a couple of hours unless a car show was on the oval.
What! It took me 45 minutes just to find the Dental Floss on THAT Commodore

Quote:
If you get a chance, drop into Pt Elliot, aka Horse shoe bay as you pass between Goolwa and Victor. It is one of the nicest spots in south Australia.
Or Middleton or Goolwa (preference is Goolwa for me, love visiting there, but maybe a little far out of your way by that time of day)
But yes, Horseshoe Bay is a favourite of ours too.

Quote:
The drive back from victor to Glenelg should only take you an hour and a half and is a good road, but take it easy as it has claimed its share over the years.
By this he means the issuing of speeding tickets. Watch the signs as you drive through and leave each town. (But yes the road has a bunch of fatality markers)
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2014, 09:22 AM   #12
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l View Post
Hahndorf is worth spending some time in
Ah Hahndorf and the beer festivals in October, Memories....
Old 21-02-2014, 10:27 AM   #13
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hmmmm I know I went to them but I don't remember so I must have had a better time than you lol
Old 21-02-2014, 08:46 PM   #14
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
Ah Hahndorf and the beer festivals in October, Memories....
If you are referring to 'Schutzenfest' then it is no longer in Hahndorf.
You will find it in the Adelaide parklands in late January early February.
You cant get glass steins anymore either, someone used one as an extension of their fist...
So im told.
Old 21-02-2014, 08:53 PM   #15
4stanger