Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-02-2014, 09:36 PM   #1
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Default Custom Tune Question

If a car is custom tuned for its modded intake, exhaust mods etc, would there be any benefit of fitting a better intake (after the tune)? my thoughts are that you would have to get it re-tuned for new intake mods. am i correct? My theory is that a factory ECU tune will relearn any extra mods and adjust accordingly whilst a Tuned car is tuned specifically for the mods on the car at time of tuning (so wont relearn).

Old 01-02-2014, 09:57 PM   #2
mr_xlr8
GT-P Whitey

Default Re: Custom Tune Question

One for autotech, ask them on their thread.

Current ride:
FG MKI 5.0L S/C 6SP Auto = 9.5/10

Previous Rides:
FG MKII GT-P 5.0L S/C 6SP MANUAL = 9/10
AU III 5 SPEED BLUEPRINT XR8 220KW= 8/10
BA XR8 BOSS 260 BLUEPRINT = 3/10
EB FAIRMONT WINDSOR 302 BURGUNDY = 6/10
mr_xlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2014, 01:46 AM   #3
Jack960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It won't hurt it, you just won't benefit from the new improved intake as much as you would have if you had put it on before the tune. Even after a tune the car can still accept different flows (to a certain extent).
Jack960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2014, 02:46 AM   #4
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The factory ECU will compensate to keep it to the levels it was tuned/designed for. An intake may help slightly in terms of throttle response, but to make the most of it, a tune would be the best idea.
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2014, 01:19 PM   #5
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

ecu only adjusts fueling when in closed loop control, and pulls spark out based on a knock event

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2014, 01:38 PM   #6
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Absolutely Heath ..

I modded many things after my initial custom tune and it just kept going quicker...

When i fit the FG manifold to the BF i am playing with we will see if and where there are gains to be had

It was dynoed last week at 179rwkw with all the usual bolt on's added so yeah we are gonna run it at the track before and after the manifold swap and after the final tune...
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-02-2014, 01:01 PM   #7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: ECU only adjusts fueling when in closed loop control

Ratter, I've got a standard FG Turbo Auto and I'm about to get it tuned with FG F6 injectors and I may go for a better Cat.
At that level can I expect a good tune if the car is left in closed loop control. I want the tune to be as safe as possible.
2242100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2014, 02:06 PM   #8
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

you should expect a good tune at what ever level you have, their is a misconception that the fewer mods a car has, the easier/quicker it is to tune, many times it may take longer due to not having the mechanical upgrades to compliment what is being done, do more time is spent chasing every last bit of power but keeping it under control.

Closed loop? I assume you are talking fuel control, but their are a couple of other areas which relate to closed loop

Old 07-02-2014, 02:47 PM   #9
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Closed loop? I assume you are talking about fuel control

I was talking about fuel and spark control when the engine is working hard. I am of the understanding that a standard car is always in closed loop control but that may be wrong.
Also I was hoping that a good tune would be possible with the car still being in
the standard closed loop situation, just with different AFR, boost level, spark and perhaps cam timing. Of course I realise it may all be more complicated than that.
2242100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2014, 02:54 PM   #10
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the standard car is not in closed loop fuel control when cold or under hardish acceleration. when in closed loop fuel control a lambda reading of 1 will be targeted, this is roughly around 14.7:1 on petrol