Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 27-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default GM sell just 60 Chev SS in first 2 weeks

Although it's only early days I think we will be putting the Chev SS down as a failure just like the Pontiac G8, Caprice PPV and all the other pie in the sky Holden US export deals.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257C2A00604DDB

22 November 2013

By RON HAMMERTON in LOS ANGELES

CHEVROLET has delivered just 60 Holden Commodore-based Chevrolet SS sedans in North America in its first week or two on sale there, according to the architect of the export program to the United States, General Motors North America president Mark Reuss.

The former chairman and managing director of Holden told GoAuto at the Los Angeles motor show where the newly-launched car is on display that Chevrolet had only 100 units in stock thus far and that it was “early days”.

He said Chevrolet was “really focused” on making the car a success.

“We have a 100 and we sold 60 of them,” he said. “I expect it to be great and that's why I bought it here.”

Chevrolet is targeting between 2000 and 3000 sales of the Chevrolet SS in the US – a drop in the ocean for a company that frequently counts car sales in hundreds of thousands in annual sales.

The sales target equates to about 250 a month, raising questions as to why Chevrolet launched this month with just 100 in hand and has delivered just 60 when prospective buyers are reportedly singing out for cars.

Even in Australia, Holden's Commodore volume last month was more than 3000 units, not counting utes and the luxury derivative, Caprice.

The US target volume was based on the previous Commodore export program, the Pontiac G8, which met its demise in the global financial crisis when Pontiac was axed.

US publication Automotive quotes Chevrolet's performance car manager John Fitzpatrick as saying the limited stock was a deliberate plan to maintain profitability.

The new car – armed with the 310kW 6.2-litre LS3 Corvette engine also used by Holden Special Vehicles and offered only with a six-speed automatic transmission - is sold in just one specification at $US43,475 ($A45,500), a price that puts it firmly in the prestige category in a country where the average car price is $29,000.

The only options are a sunroof and a full-sized spare wheel, indicating a keep-it-simple policy to aid profitability, which has been dented by a strong Australian dollar.

US reports suggest dealers are asking for more stock, but Chevrolet appears determined to keep the car on a short leash, at least at this stage.

Car fans are also questioning why a broader range of engines is not available, especially the supercharged V8 launched recently in the new F-Series HSV range in Australia.

And that is not out of the question, but is dependent on the success of the current model, according to GM executives.

The other question is what happens to this model line should Holden stop producing the rear-drive Commodore in Australia, as is feared, from about 2016-17.

Mr Reuss, who was instrumental in helping to save Holden in the global financial crisis in 2008-9, sidestepped the question when asked by GoAuto about it at the show, saying: “I am not that close to it. I don't live there so I really don't have a read on the political situation.

“I guess we are going to make Commodores and SS as long as people want. I think there has been an over-thinking of how far we plan to do things.

“We have a great car that has just launched so we are really focused on that just now – really focused on that right now. I will control what we can do here and that is sell SSs.”

The SS has had the advantage of huge publicity via the most popular form of motor racing in America, NASCAR, where it has been GM's sole race model this year.

As well, a Chevrolet SS driven by veteran Jimmy Johnson won the Sprint Cup series, amping up the exposure.

Old 27-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Default Re: GM sell just 60 Chev SS in first 2 weeks

short leash? (political, union, warfies,)???
and why not the LSA?
Old 27-11-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You would think they would be flogging the super charged model to get a bit of recognition of the model instead of the basic no go item, you have to wonder if GM US wants it to be a failure?
Old 28-11-2013, 04:49 AM   #4
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Where's all the educated guys who were adamant that holdens export was going great gunsOMG. There's trillions of Americans watching nascar...and they sell a handfull......hmmmmm. Maybe some things aren't worth doing simply for the hell of it
5 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2013, 05:57 AM   #5
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
You would think they would be flogging the super charged model to get a bit of recognition of the model instead of the basic no go item, you have to wonder if GM US wants it to be a failure?

You expect competent management from GM?
Old 28-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #6
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

As mentioned by a few people smarter than me. GM is restricted to the amount of large cars they can import into the US due to their agreements with unions/government. It needs to be restricted.

They probably think that exporting 3000 unit per year would be a bigger win for Holden than having a small production run in a US factory of 10,000 units. While 60 units sounds like nothing in the scheme of things. These things cost 5 series BM/ E class money in the states, it's competing in a tough segment as a Chev not Caddy.

Hers
BFII Ghia
This user likes this post:
Old 28-11-2013, 08:17 AM   #7
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

You can get a Camaro V8 for the same price as the SS...'Vette is only 10g more...

And in 'Merica, 4 doors haven't got the following they do here...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
2 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #8
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Sounds like it's got nothing to do with the car, especially if dealers are asking for more stock.
Just needs GM to want to make it work.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Old 28-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Seems like a stock issue more than anything.
Old 28-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #10
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Seems like a stock issue more than anything.
So, stock issue isn't just Ford Australia
Old 28-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #11
wookie836
Highway wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
You can get a Camaro V8 for the same price as the SS...'Vette is only 10g more...

And in 'Merica, 4 doors haven't got the following they do here...

Too Right, over there 'muscle' is big block engines in 2 door coupes, small block 4 door sedans rarely get noticed
Old 28-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #12
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Lets wait a few months before we jump to any conclusions.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #13
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's interesting to see that the U.S. Government and Unions are protecting their car industry. While the Australian Government has sold us out.
Old 28-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #14
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Roo View Post
It's interesting to see that the U.S. Government and Unions are protecting their car industry. While the Australian Government has sold us out.
The US has a long history of Protectionism, not just for their car industry, but for most of their farming industry and other primary industries.

Not much to like about the US economy overall, but that is one quality I would like to see our Government implement here to some extent.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
6 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #15
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Launching the cars with 100 cars in stock? That's one for every 30 dealers...
Old 28-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #16
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Hmm, there's already been two shipments of vehicles to GMNA, the initial dealer stock order was 900 cars.
So while GMNA dealers may have 100 cars, you can bet there's another 800 in a holding yard somewhere.

The real question is how many of those other 800 cars have been sold, something GM is really coy about...
And how many Northern snow state dealerships want to have a HP RWD stuck on their floor plan for months.
The mrket is slowing down at the month due to winter coming on so sales of HP cars will be subdued until about March...
Old 28-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #17
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

This is a great example however, of why Ford never chased a US export program for the falcon...

Holden tried, minor success with the Monaro, but its not viable enough. Food for thought for the "Y U NO XPRT FRD" whiners...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
6 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #18
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
This is a great example however, of why Ford never chased a US export program for the falcon...

Holden tried, minor success with the Monaro, but its no viable enough. Food for thought for the "Y U NO XPRT FRD" whiners...
The difference is that the Falcon would have been sold as a Ford through Ford dealerships alongside Mustang
where as there are no Holden dealerships in North America, so its cars had to be sold as Pontiacs or no name Chevrolets..

I just think Holden is on a hiding to nothing here, the cars are expensive to get a good return which drives US buyers away
and the launch timing heading into a Northern Winter almost guarantees two thirds of dealerships won't touch it this side of March.

Last edited by jpd80; 28-11-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old 28-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #19
nstg8a

I'm confused... When Vf was released and the sales numbers were pretty average for a new model it was suggested by some that it was because Holden were flat out building the chev ss first? So where are all these lhd commodores hiding?
Old 28-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #20
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
I'm confused... When Vf was released and the sales numbers were pretty average for a new model it was suggested by some that it was because Holden were flat out building the chev ss first? So where are all these lhd commodores hiding?
All I know is that there have been two shipments to the USA, the second arrived roughly a month ago.
They have enough stock all right, the truth will out soon...
Old 28-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #21
Dodge
i like to be stroked

because we get the overtaxed price tag here in australia , even the yanks cant wear the high price . i bet the yanks get a better optioned car for less dollar too double *** rape to us aussies
Old 28-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #22
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

The SS is being pushed as a niche vehicle, not a major player and at its price point it will stay that way.

If a new muscle car is your thing the US has many that already have a good following, Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, Charger and Challenger.

North America is also flooded with cheap priced Euros. If a V8 doesn’t float your boat then these will hold market position and if its Euro performance you’re after, RS, M & AMG’s prices aren’t far away.

Add to the pool the sporty Japanese offerings and you start to realise just how tough the US market is.

To be successful there it’s all about price point, price point, price point.

If miraculously the SS overcame the competition and consumer demand forced the need for serious production numbers then manufacturing would be taken to the US.

As a large scale competitor, the US market is a no win for Aussie manufacturing.

3 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #23
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
Where's all the educated guys who were adamant that holdens export was going great gunsOMG. There's trillions of Americans watching nascar...and they sell a handfull......hmmmmm. Maybe some things aren't worth doing simply for the hell of it
Why you seem so happy to see an Australian design, engineered & built anything fail in an oversea market is just beyond my skill set!!! I guess my Australian glasses are bigger than my Ford ones
Old 28-11-2013, 10:24 PM   #24
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
The SS is being pushed as a niche vehicle, not a major player and at its price point it will stay that way.

If a new muscle car is your thing the US has many that already have a good following, Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, Charger and Challenger.

North America is also flooded with cheap priced Euros. If a V8 doesn’t float your boat then these will hold market position and if its Euro performance you’re after, RS, M & AMG’s prices aren’t far away.

Add to the pool the sporty Japanese offerings and you start to realise just how tough the US market is.

To be successful there it’s all about price point, price point, price point.

If miraculously the SS overcame the competition and consumer demand forced the need for serious production numbers then manufacturing would be taken to the US.

As a large scale competitor, the US market is a no win for Aussie manufacturing.

It seemed to be a relative given that when the Chevy SS was announced, GM would follow it up in a few years with a US built Alpha based sedan, once the Camaro switched to the lighter platform and GM had fully wiped its hands of Zeta. We would possibly get this sedan back as an HSV style replacement whilst we kept building either Malibu based FWD Commodores locally. I think at one point they wanted to call both US built RWD and locally built FWD cars Commodore.
Old 29-11-2013, 12:05 AM   #25
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619 View Post
Why you seem so happy to see an Australian design, engineered & built anything fail in an oversea market is just beyond my skill set!!! I guess my Australian glasses are bigger than my Ford ones
There are none so blind as those who will not see.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2013, 01:05 AM   #26
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
Educated ..... interesting term.

Exports going exactly as planned - if you think different, perhaps you best apply for a job, they continue to employ and are always on the lookout for the white collar smarts who can solidify their business case.

Bathurst, half our nation watch the great race, according to 'your' educated notion half our population is in the FPV / HSV showrooms come Monday....hmmmm.

Warning - This users posts are classified (G).

G (General) – Contains material intended for general viewing. The content is very mild in impact.
IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED SENSITIVE ADULTS VIEW IN THE COMPANY OF CHILDREN
Old 29-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #27
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619 View Post
Sorry, but my love of Ford will always be a priority over a company that I grew up viewing as the 'enemy'. Do you follow a sporting team with a passion? Do you have that one opposition team that you 'hate' the most? Same thing here...for me.

Like an opposition team, it's not the players (i.e. the workers in this analogy) I 'hate', it's their arrogant 'supporters'.

Unfortunately, a lot of Ford fans have lost their one eyed passion. Something I don't think Holden fans would do for us.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
Old 29-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #28
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:

Holden tried, minor success with the Monaro, but its not viable enough. Food for thought for the "Y U NO XPRT FRD" whiners...
It was and still is a waste of time chasing the US market.
Another thing to remember is that the commodore is more of a global parts bin car then the Falcon is and the cost of holding parts for Falcon would be higher the the commodore.
Old 29-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #29
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by P6LTD351 View Post
Sorry, but my love of Ford will always be a priority over a company that I grew up viewing as the 'enemy'. Do you follow a sporting team with a passion? Do you have that one opposition team that you 'hate' the most? Same thing here...for me.

Like an opposition team, it's not the players (i.e. the workers in this analogy) I 'hate', it's their arrogant 'supporters'.

Unfortunately, a lot of Ford fans have lost their one eyed passion. Something I don't think Holden fans would do for us.
A classic case of cutting off your nose to spite your face. I don't know whether to laugh or cry at rubbish like this. The last time I checked, vehicle manufacturing wasn't a sport.
That's the problem with Australians. While the rest of the world fights for its automotive manufacturing industries, we are too busy bickering over some childish brand rivalry all while under our noses our industries are being sold out, our country swamped with cheap Asian imports and our jobs and prosperity being sent overseas.
Australians are too short sighted and rather than looking at the big picture, the only thing they seem worried about is where their next slab of VB is going to come from.
8 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #30
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Chevrolet is targeting between 2000 and 3000 sales of the Chevrolet SS in the US – a drop in the ocean for a company...
this is the point i keep making. It's pretty easy to save Falcon/Commodore with just a little bit of give from the usa. I get the feeling they don't want it to continue. now that we have little tarriff protection, local production is just not worth it anymore.