Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 23-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
jeff_o

Default fuel brand to reduce WS pinging

I've searched the forums but everyone was just discussing about fuel economy.

I'd like to ask if anyone has discovered a particular fuel brand that would reduce/eliminate WS engine ping? I'm currently running Caltex Vortex 95octane but pings faintly audible on highway uphill runs. I've tried Shell 95 as well and it pings too.

Haven't tried BP 95 yet as they don't have a 4c discount docket :p

jeff_o is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2013, 11:34 PM   #2
trumpy73

Default Re: fuel brand to reduce WS pinging

They all ping like MF***s!!

98 is as good as it gets (any brand)

Wintertime is always better than warmer months of course. After trying all sorts of combinations (even running colder plugs), I've decided not to waste any more money/time and just use E10 which has an Octane rating between ULP and PULP.

I just turn up the radio and plan on selling my car within the next 6mths anyway so if/when the Engine gives up it'll be someone else's problem.
trumpy73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2013, 11:48 PM   #3
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We tried 91 and 95 but still had pinging. We started using Shell Vpower 98 after a few months and it hasn't pinged since, even in summer.
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2013, 12:20 AM   #4
jeff_o

i never knew e10 rating is between ulp snd pulp. i thot theyre 91. anyhow was your car worse than it had 95?

lemme try 98. dayum... was supposed to be cheap on gas
jeff_o is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2013, 12:46 AM   #5
trumpy73

Yeah Ethanol on it's own has 108 rating. E10(10%)=10.8 + 90%ULP (0.9*91) = TOTAL 92.7. That's my rough estimate anyway. Give Shell98 a try. It didn't help me but all engines are different. But yeah cheap on fuel...my hairy ****!
trumpy73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2013, 02:26 AM   #6
Venomous1
5.0 means business

98 is the best found that after a while on the same fuel it seems to get less.
Old 24-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #7
Ms_Jam

FWIW, I have been running my WS Zetec on BP Ultimate 98 since its purchase, 60,000 km ago. It uses almost no oil between services, and that seems a sign to me of a healthy engine.

I still find my (manual) Fiesta a lot of fun to drive. It's very zippy and responsive - more so than the rentals I drive. And I suspect that has something to do with the petrol.
Ms_Jam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2013, 10:33 AM   #8
xrsprint94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: By a mile some of, if not the best information provided on high power ZF cars. 

United Premium 100. United don’t have a 98 blend but all stations have the P100 and its usually a fraction cheaper than BP98 ultimate/Shell Vpower anyway as it has more ethanol content.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #9
sus_038
nufnsus

My misses uses 98 in hers, either Caltex or Shell or BP, anything lower than 98 and it pings its head off...

Funny how Ford don't tell you that you have to run 98 to keep the engine quite... Before i met her, she had the car for 2-3 years.... and only used 91... so almost 3 years worth of pinging... im sure the engine would be stuffed! But its a fun lil car to drive around been manual.

But it does sound like a diesel when ever we start it from cold.... any ideas on that?

Sound goes away once warmed up... (after 5-10mins)
sus_038 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post