Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Default Dead and dieing climate controls.

There seems to be a spate of climate control issues at the moment where people are getting frustrated and struggling to get them fixed using my method so I thought I'd throw this thought out there.

If anyone has an old CC unit sitting in the shed doing nothing, would you be prepared to donate it to the cause and send it to me? What I'll do is get it working if it's fixable and offer it up as an exchange unit for nothing more than the cost of postage and the cost of the clips to fix it. That way, anyone who can't or isn't able to sort out their own unit can send it to me for a working one. The only stipulation will be that it has to be a virgin unit, by that I mean one that's not had the tape fiddled with or cut back. If you have one of those ebay "fixed" units that has failed I'd still be interested in taking a look at it just to see if it was done any better than the one I have that can't be fixed. Anyone that sends me a dead "fixed" one that can be got working again will gain a credit for a working one if they want it.

Any Takers?

Cheers
Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #2
rmack

Default Re: Dead and dieing climate controls.

I took these pictures of a repair I found on mine, I thought you may find interesting.

It uses Pin Connectors

7" DVD/GPS Radio
19" Wheels

HIS
FG XR8 Ute
Lux Pack
Tech Pack
Touch Screen GPS
rmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #3
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

YEE GODS!!, that's a big effort that's for sure. Getting the wires fixed to the remnants of the circuit tape is no mean feat.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Old 24-10-2013, 12:03 AM   #4
ChrisNZ
Starter Motor

Sorry to bring up an old'ish thread, but I can't PM as I don't have five posts yet!

Rmack, those pin connectors shown there, any idea where to get them?
ChrisNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
rmack

e14 sells a display that uses them.
7" DVD/GPS Radio
19" Wheels

HIS
FG XR8 Ute
Lux Pack
Tech Pack
Touch Screen GPS
rmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
ChrisNZ
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmack View Post
e14 sells a display that uses them.
Cheers mate, found a local supplier with similar screen/lcds in stock. Had a bit of a hard time getting those pins off, they were held in place by some kind of epoxy or something.. I'm not sure if there was an easier way of getting them off, but I just soaked the whole unit in some nail polish remove I stole, errr, borrowed off the missus. After about an hour the came off a bit easier, but each one still needed a bit of cleaning/work.

Anyway, got it all together in the end and it's working like a charm.

Wish I could find those pins 'new' as in not attached to a screen.. I know of a couple more displays I could get working again for people, but it's tedious getting those pins off!

Thanks again.
This user likes this post:
Old 26-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #7
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

ChrisNZ, that looks like a very involved and tedious way to fix the fade. Have a look HERE in this thread at my guaranteed 10 minute fix. Anyone can do it at home if you're careful and precise. If not, PM me and I'll organise to swap your mates dud ones for working ones that I'll guarantee for life. The one in my car is 100% after more 6 months.

Bushbasher

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 26-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #8
ChrisNZ
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
ChrisNZ, that looks like a very involved and tedious way to fix the fade. Have a look HERE in this thread at my guaranteed 10 minute fix. Anyone can do it at home if you're careful and precise. If not, PM me and I'll organise to swap your mates dud ones for working ones that I'll guarantee for life. The one in my car is 100% after more 6 months.

Bushbasher
Heya Bushbasher, I did see your fix and it looks like it would solve the issue. It may be what I do for my mates.. But I have a bad habit of picking the hardest route when I do things for myself!

I'm thinking I should've replaced the globes with bright LEDs when I had the unit out too, I see a few people doing that on here, most using blue LEDs, but how does the orange-plastic-bit behind the display handle the blue, it must loom odd. Or do people replace that with white paper or something.

Someone mentioned a how-to/tutorial in another thread, I did a search but couldn't find it.
Old 26-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #9
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I've not tried LEDs' as I'm happy with stock but I can tell you that the plastic is white and has a textured black screen printing on it to subdue the light. I rubbed one clean once and put it back in and it was bright as; too bright in fact and I found it distracting and irritating at night. I'd leave it well alone and just change all the dash globes to LED together to maintain the consistency across the dash if it was me.

Bushbasher

MINE- AUII Forte