Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-08-2007, 08:14 PM   #1
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Default Mmmm, beer!

I got up rather early Saturday morning - too early considering I'd got home at 2am having witnessed Marduk at the Hifi Bar - but it was worth it, as 2 hours later I came home with this - roughly 70 500ml cans of micro-brewed amber heaven.

This is 1/3 of 2 brews a mate, his girlfriend and I cooked up 3 weeks ago. I've mentioned U Brew It a few times in various beer threads, and this was the result of my latest trip. We choose two custom brews they have, one is a Canadian style cream ale, great taste with a very smooth finish. The other was Funnelweb, a lighter, sharper beer with a refreshing taste and a little bite.

We also took the opportunity to use their new canning setup, which allow us to quickly can just over 100 litres of beer in about an hour. The 500ml cans are a great size, and pour perfectly into my half stein glass. It quicker and wastes less beer than manual bottling. I'd love a keg setup, but that's coming down the track.

Here's the cans close-up. They had two lid colours which allowed to differentiate the two brews.

The silver lid cans have the cream ale, which I drank whilst watching race 2 of the V8s this after noon.

Followed by the funnelweb I had during race 3.

I think I'll go a cream ale with dinner. For me, this has the great taste of home brew without the hassle, with a commercial result (filtering, gas) less the crappy chemicals they use. The only problem is deciding which brew we'll do next!

Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2007, 08:21 PM   #2
rodderz

I use the micro-brew kits to do various recipes, and the bottling is a pain in the ring. So is the cleaning and sanitising of everything.

Where abouts is this U-Brew Mark?
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2007, 08:26 PM   #3
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

This one is in South Geelong, and was the first one to be established outside of WA. There's more being opened up around the country now.
Old 19-08-2007, 08:40 PM   #4
rodderz

I knew of a couple of micro-breweries that you could hire out, but I'de imagine they wouldn't be as cheap as what this idea would be.
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2007, 08:47 PM   #5
Skooter

Ok I pretty much want to stab you, I'm so jealous. About how much does that type of thing cost at u-brewit?
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2007, 08:54 PM   #6
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

:sm_drool: :sm_drool: :sm_drool: :sm_drool: :sm_drool: :sm_drool: Mmmmm Beer..... Pearler man, interested in how this all happens. Costing as well.
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2007, 09:26 PM   #7
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Haaa there is a newish black F150 or similar that I saw driving round Sydney with those plates "MMBEER" or pretty close.

Thought this thread was about that lol....
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2007, 09:27 PM   #8
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I want that fridge, and now lol
FlipXW is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2007, 09:34 PM   #9
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Depending on the brew you do, it costs between $140-$160 for over 50 litres of beer. Works out cheaper per beer than a slab of your ordinary chemi-draught from the local bottle-shop. Canning costs extra. You can use your own bottles if you want to do it that way - I used to take mine home in 800ml long necks.

http://www.ubrewit.com.au/

In one trip you brew the beer, takes over an hour. You book in at least 2 weeks later (we waited three weeks to give the cream ale for time to age) where you bottle or can it - or you can take it home in kegs. While you're brewing you can drink their beer, and when you go back, drink your own.
Old 20-08-2007, 12:33 PM   #10
WOLF
Track Red XY

would be a laugh to see a pic of that fridge at weeks end and how many of those 70 cans are left...I have a feeling they will dissapear quicker than a marduk song...
I remember trying the fairly cheap coopers pale ale home brew and even that was pretty good.
WOLF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2007, 02:01 PM   #11
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

there is one just down the road from me!!

gonna have to give it a go..

$140 to $160 for 50L?? mmmmm 50L of beer.

how long does it keep for?
Old 20-08-2007, 02:25 PM   #12
stupa

keep it cool and neck it within 6 months
stupa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2007, 02:58 PM   #13
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Yes, that's one of the drawbacks, it does need to be kept cool - all of it, so make sure you've got a spare fridge for it. I don't think any brew would ever stay in the fridge for 6 months, it's amazing how fast it goes once you've got it all in there. Have a couple of mates around one weekend, and you'll be booking the next brew in no time.