Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #1
Buntz
Straight Eight

Default Your advice is warranted.

I need to buy a new car (well, my user name says it all). Basically mine is not allowed on the road anymore thanks to some structural rust found after going over the pits because I didn't renew the rego, but that's a whole other story.

I've decided I want to pay about 7k for this car. but I can't quite make up my mind. I'm stuck between two models which both appeal to me. An AU Fairlane Ghia, and BA Falcon/Futura/Fairmont.

As I have learned in my time here, the AU is a well screwed together car. Non-car people I'v talked to even recognize it as a fine car. My brothers BA is impressive to drive and love the tiptronic auto. But the transmission/radiator lines thing puts me off when looking at a pre-loved vehicle. However the DOHC vs SOHC I6 swings me back to the BA. Double A-Arm IRS for the fairlane vs Control Blade IRS? Don't know.

I like the shape and design of both cars. With the AU offering that bit more touch of class. However the BA interior stonks it for design/layout/look.

In the end it probably comes down to hassle, and known niggles. Which one is likely to be less mechanically troublesome? I've also seen reasonable prices on AU V8 Fairlane Ghia's, but I don't know their hardiness like I do the coffin nail that is the I6.

So if you have knowledge or an opinion, can you please help a Ford-lovin-brother out with which way to turn? I appreciate your advice.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:15 PM   #2
Kryton

Default Re: Your advice is warranted.

Buy the newest one you can.
The AU's are starting to become rust buckets - i know as i own 2 of them AND a BA Fairmont.
The BA is a better drive any day of the week.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2012, 11:35 PM   #3
Werd.
nou

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
The AU's are starting to become rust buckets - i know as i own 2 of them AND a BA Fairmont.
Oh no.. you've started it now.
Werd. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2012, 11:35 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Personally I prefer the interior of the AU over the BA series Falcons, especially if you are going Fairlane, plus the premium audio on the AU Fairlanes is epic.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2012, 11:43 PM   #5
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Well the ba's have the diff bush problems, and the trans radiator issue is fixed by fitting an aftermarket trans cooler.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2012, 11:54 PM   #6
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the AUs had less problems then the BAs.
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 12:02 AM   #7
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my BA has had much less problems than any AU ive owned..

ive never owned an AU..
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 12:26 AM   #8
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
my BA has had much less problems than any AU ive owned..

ive never owned an AU..
Awwww dude.... that's just trolling.

I am appreciating these comments though.... keep em coming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
We shall see when I test them back to back. My tastes could be different... but maybe not. A particular person chooses to buy a Falcon (not just bogans)
Old 10-06-2012, 12:40 AM   #9
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no.. it was lolling how some around here offer up opinions on cars they have never owned...
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 12:44 AM   #10
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

both are actually good cars thou. the BAs did have more problems then the AUs. as it has been mentioned diff bushes and transmission contamination were problems in the BA. we have owned 2 AUs sedan and ute and a BA Futura. the BA did the dif thing at 100,000kms. the AUs have mainly been small little oil, coolant or power steering leaks in the time we have had them. I did nearly kill the transmission in my AU sedan thou. my stupidity thou. caused it to over heat while rocking it out of mud that it got bogged on a rainny night. I got it out!!! but the damage was done. rather expensive lesson that was. oh well next time i'll get someone too tow me out!!. my AU sedan i have had for six years and thats the only major thing that went wrong with it. the alternator went a few years ago but that was an easy fix. $7000 should buy you a tidy BA futura or an AU Fairlane.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:47 AM   #11
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
no.. it was lolling how some around here offer up opinions on cars they have never owned...
I actually agree with you there some people just seem too bag out cars they dont like but yet havent owned or even driven!!
Old 10-06-2012, 01:16 AM   #12
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Drove an ex cab original VCT Fairlane today 633xxx on it and was still going strong, interior was pretty well perfect except the window switches wouldnt work unless you press it softly. (and as mentioned above, the sound system is great! this one had no sub thanks to the gas tank and it was still great!)
Drove as it normally would, nice n smooth, no odd sounds, but im sure i felt a little rear end wander from the IRS, but that would be an ex cab feature so......Yeah.

Im keen to see how a BA Fairlane cab would hold up after 600k. The B series cabs ive been in were a bit of a worry!

My point is, the AU's appear to be better built and are more durable. Take it as you may All the AU's ive driven feel better to drive than any B series i have piloted (havent driven a BA lane as yet though) On the flipside, Dad's BFII (if comparable) is doing well in terms of holding up but its under 70,000kms.

Oh and not all AU's are rustbuckets....(mine only has some under the door seals now ;) )

But im an AU owner...thus probably a bit baised!

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 01:36 AM   #13
BHDOGS
Banned

The ba interior looks to fake plasticy for me and i dont like the electric throttle but thats just me id take the au i have an au fairmont 8 and plenty of mods to get them up and going as for history ive owned 6 eseries 3aus and driven bas many times as my dad owns a ba fairmont problems so far are trans ***** coz of coolants doorn actuators broken and
him module broken requiring entire dash to be removed
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 01:54 AM   #14
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
Drove an ex cab original VCT Fairlane today 633xxx on it and was still going strong, interior was pretty well perfect except the window switches wouldnt work unless you press it softly. (and as mentioned above, the sound system is great! this one had no sub thanks to the gas tank and it was still great!)
Drove as it normally would, nice n smooth, no odd sounds, but im sure i felt a little rear end wander from the IRS, but that would be an ex cab feature so......Yeah.

Im keen to see how a BA Fairlane cab would hold up after 600k. The B series cabs ive been in were a bit of a worry!

My point is, the AU's appear to be better built and are more durable. Take it as you may All the AU's ive driven feel better to drive than any B series i have piloted (havent driven a BA lane as yet though) On the flipside, Dad's BFII (if comparable) is doing well in terms of holding up but its under 70,000kms.

Oh and not all AU's are rustbuckets....(mine only has some under the door seals now ;) )

But im an AU owner...thus probably a bit baised!
This is the kind of opinion I'm looking for. More of this. I can take all the info here and put behind the upcoming inspections/test drives.

Thanks Interceptor.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:55 AM   #15
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
The ba interior looks to fake plasticy for me and i dont like the electric throttle but thats just me id take the au i have an au fairmont 8 and plenty of mods to get them up and going as for history ive owned 6 eseries 3aus and driven bas many times as my dad owns a ba fairmont problems so far are trans ***** coz of coolants doorn actuators broken and
him module broken requiring entire dash to be removed
What's the reliability and longevity of the 8 though to the 6? Any horror stories?
Old 10-06-2012, 02:06 AM   #16
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

anycar will rust regaurdless of what make model or series it is!!! I think the post about rust was mainly aimed at the fact the AU is getting on with age as is the BA if you think about. the AU was launched 14 years ago and the BA 10 years. plenty of time for rust too form in some of them. I have seen rust in a BA! water got in throught the hole where the spoiler was mounted. water traveled down a channel in the bootlid and pooled was never drained and it just rusted in that spot!! both my AUs havent any rust. neither did the BA!! but like any used car. its just something too look out for. I personally think its the luck of the draw when you buy a used car most of the time anyway!!!
Old 10-06-2012, 02:14 AM   #17
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

The answer is obvious: AU all the way. Why?

1. You get more for your money. Even if the BA was as good a car as the AU (which it's not), you'd be able to get a higher spec/lower kilometre car if you go for the AU.
2. Double Wishbone IRS
3. The interior of the AU is much more functional and aesthetic
4. AU Falcons are built to last. They were truly the last of the Falcons which were designed by engineers rather than marketers
5. AU air conditioning is a lot more effective; icicles will form on the air vents on the coldest setting.
6. The AU's cable throttle is crisp and easy to modulate. No electronic lag to worry about here. If you want a great inline six under the bonnet, why have it hamstrung with throttle response that makes it so much harder to drive in city traffic?
7. Sound system. If you feel like letting out your inner bogan, the sound system in the AU will provide you with better top end clarity and tighter bass for your fully sick doof doof beats.
8. The AU has character in spades. The BA is clinical in comparison.
9. The steering on the AU is an absolute joy.

Go for the AU. The most 'mundane' drives will be transformed into something great.
There is absolutely no sense in going for a BA, unless you have a strange thing for hard plastics, throttle lag and broken diff bushes.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 02:17 AM   #18
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
What's the reliability and longevity of the 8 though to the 6? Any horror stories?
Go for the six. Any old car has a V8 (although not many modern V8s sound as good as the Windsor). An inline six, on the other hand, is only really found in Fords, BMWs and Volvos. There's so much more character to them. You may get tired of the V8 rumble, but I guarantee you that you will always miss the inline six smoothness.

And of course, there's the bulletproof reliability ;)
Old 10-06-2012, 02:22 AM   #19
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
a mate of mine had an AU 5L XR8 and it ran very well and wasnt too bad on fuel on the highway!! had it a few years and the only thing that went wrong with it was the diff. another mate had an BA fairmont 5.4L he didnt like it much and said it was gutless. i never drove it though so i cant say much. i dont think it ever let him down thou so i dont know what he had against it?? I did take an BA XR8 for a drive years ago. I thought it was bloody fun too drive!!! the falcon 6 in both AU and BA is bulletproof in my opinion!! these motors have never let me down!!! I think you would have too seriously neglect them for the motor too go in them!!! the worse thing i have ever heard of is transmission failure in both AU and BA. but besides that nothing really major. I havent really been let down by them
Old 10-06-2012, 02:24 AM   #20
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i OHC

1. You get more for your money. Even if the BA was as good a car as the AU (which it's not), you'd be able to get a higher spec/lower kilometre car if you go for the AU.
2. Double Wishbone IRS
4. AU Falcons are built to last. They were truly the last of the Falcons which were designed by engineers rather than marketers
5. AU air conditioning is a lot more effective; icicles will form on the air vents on the coldest setting.
6. The AU's cable throttle is crisp and easy to modulate. No electronic lag to worry about here. If you want a great inline six under the bonnet, why have it hamstrung with throttle response that makes it so much harder to drive in city traffic?
7. Sound system. If you feel like letting out your inner bogan, the sound system in the AU will provide you with better top end clarity and tighter bass for your fully sick doof doof beats.

Go for the AU. The most 'mundane' drives will be transformed into something great.
There is absolutely no sense in going for a BA, unless you have a strange thing for hard plastics, throttle lag and broken diff bushes.
also AUs were better on fuel!!!
Old 10-06-2012, 02:26 AM   #21
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider
also AUs were better on fuel!!!
So true! How could I have forgotten about that? The AU is just one of those cars which just keeps on impressing
Old 10-06-2012, 02:31 AM   #22
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So true! How could I have forgotten about that? The AU is just one of those cars which just keeps on impressing
I like the BAs dont get me wrong but if you wanted the more reliable car out of the two the AU is the pick!!! 14 years on and they are still getting around in high numbers!!! I also think it aged better look wise then the BA too!!!
Old 10-06-2012, 03:02 AM   #23
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Find a good El Xr or Fairmont...

No bias or nothin'

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 04:09 AM   #24
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:

2. Double Wishbone IRS

Wow... goood swaying points. Just need to see someone try and counter your arguments. This is all good info, and not just to me... but for others looking for a pre-loved falcon.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:37 AM   #25
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Go for the six. Any old car has a V8 (although not many modern V8s sound as good as the Windsor). An inline six, on the other hand, is only really found in Fords, BMWs and Volvos. There's so much more character to them. You may get tired of the V8 rumble, but I guarantee you that you will always miss the inline six smoothness.

And of course, there's the bulletproof reliability ;)
Except the SOHC Falcon 6s aren't smooth, they are rough as guts for an i6, but still a good engine. My old BMW 5 series has a 2.5 6 dating back to the 70s and is smoother than the dohc Falcons lol.
I've had 2 AU Fairlanes and now have a BA V8 Fairlane. The AUs ride better and have a higher quality interior, the BA is probably the first Aussie car to remind me of the mid to late 90s BMW 7 series, performance, handling, steering, which isn't a bad thing.
AUs still have gearbox contamination thru the cooler, and B series are just as bad for rust as the AU. In saying that I think the rust issue has been blown out of proportion, most private cars there is nothing to worry about, the ones that have been around coastal areas uncovered could be a worry, some ex taxis in NZ are shockers.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #26
mash again
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive owned both but a AU Futura wagon and now a BA XR8 ute, (cant comment on the control blade IRS) both have been reliable, both fitted with trans coolers ($120 and an hour to fit) and as long as you keep the fluid in the transmissions fresh (flush every 60000k) you should be sweet. I prefer the BA but there is no denying the AU was reliable and hassle free (owned from 80k to 160k) and only had to replace the radiator and normal wear parts. Get the best example of what you want with the lowest kms and best service history and you probably cant go wrong with either
mash again is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 08:55 AM   #27
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Much prefer the AU, the inside of the BA with its cheap tacky plastics make it look just that not to mention they all look the same.
IMO the AU is a better drive aswell i hate the electronic throttle to. But go drive both and decide from there is all i can say as your the one buying.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 09:09 AM   #28
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you driven both or either? If not, do it.

Seems people either love the B's or love the A's, might make your decision easier.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #29
66GT

I paid $4000 for my AU Fort sedan approx 4-5 years ago with 130000km. Car had lived outside for most of its life here on the Gold Coast. Metalic paint a little foded in places. Now 180000Km the issues i've had are minor realy with the headlining dropping, the trans is ready for a rebuild (just add fluid every tims it starts to play up) & rust forming up under the rear parcel tray on the drivers side. Yes I also found the boot lid to fill with water during heavy rains - all fixed by removing the screw in rubber stopers at the bottom. All up a great car for what I paid, has served me well have driven from Cairns to Wagga Wagga & back & I sure would do again no problems. The car has now been commissioned to the kids. Great cars.
66GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #30
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

After having both AU and B-series.

AU Fairlane definitely over the B-series.
Last of the proper Fairlanes as well.

So many costly bushing issues in B-series Control Blade IRS setup ... it adds up.

Ancilliary wise though ... similar issues really between both when it comes to wear and tear.

ball joints seemed to last longer on the AU ... and I can definitely say it had much better turn-in when it came to handling stakes as well. The AU was a good drive indeed.

Styling is one thing though .... it's a love/hate thing. That's up to you though.

I think the AU Fairlane GHIA interior is going to be a much nice interior than the B-series Fairmont.

It's a little lower on power than the B-series ... but I think Lane's ran the VCT engine anyway.

If you can find a clean exterior (no rust and decent paint) .... AU if going for the Fairlane.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post