Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-03-2012, 12:17 AM   #1
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Default For the purpose of towing, Auto or Man?

Hi guys,

Over the weekend I done a bit of towing. 1200 kms to be exact. Lets round it off and say I was towing my max braked tow capacity.
The car I was using was my 4wd. 2.7L TD Pathfinder Auto.

Now on the way to work this morning I noticed it only happen once, but as it went To go into the next gear, it revved a little more then slipped into the gear. At this stage my assumption is that my bands are slipping. Not this is not a concern for me as I will happily fix it. Admittedly the work horse is a little older now with just over 330,000kms on the clock. I had the box serviced less then a year ago. So understanding it ageing, but here's my question;

On the weekend my wife and I had a look at the new Ford XLT Ranger. We both fell in love and considering buying one now towards the end of the year. (Doing my part for FoMoCo)

So simply, for the purpose of towing a heavy load, is a 6 speed auto rated better for the sake of lasting the distance more the a 6 speed manual? Or vise verser? If so, why?

Thanks in advance

Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2012, 01:14 AM   #2
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: For the purpose of towing, Auto or Man?

The reality is that most Auto’s are fine for towing, especially modern ones, although I always recommend fitting an oversize transmission cooler.
But yes, towing, carrying a load, going flatchat up a mountain, all work your tranny harder, so all other things being equal it will wear a bit quicker.
In theory, a manual is better suited (provided you don’t ride the clutch) but in practice you may find an Auto easier.

I’ve only ever had to replace two transmissions, and both were manuals. All my autos generally got by with a service, some seals, o-rings, etc.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2012, 02:26 AM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i reckon as long as you don`t over stress them, lug them in top gear(o/d) for extended periods they should be ok, towing heavy in over drive puts a lot of stress on them, i did a 5000 k holiday run towing a but ugly old 1200 kilo van +family , ran it in direct(3rd) the whole trip, Auto is still fine a couple of years later, not to mention majority of the hills it would hold road speed nicely,
for a couple of k`s i watched the dte in o/d, the extra load on the motor running the tall gear it used considerably more fuel anyway.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2012, 07:48 AM   #4
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Manual gearbox if your gonna be towing heavy loads continually...

Even if you fit a large cooler it places a lot of strain on an auto (specially mountain driving) and should the auto fail usually you end up with no gears at all, at least with a manual your always bound to have a few cogs left!

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well serviced auto with trans cooler will go the distance
Theres many a manual box that people dont know how to tow correctly and have done the 5 th gear (or overdrive)
Ive towed many a heavy load up many hills in my auto patrol and the trans fluid is as good as the day it went in
Know you and the cars limitations
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #6
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

much prefer an auto for towing. As stated, fit the biggest transmission cooler you can and possibly an electric fan. Heat is what kills an Auto.
Old 27-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #7
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Falcon BA Sedan has 1600kg rated capacity on Auto, 1200kg on Manual, with same 160kg towball down weight. As for why that's the case - I'm not sure. My theory was that the torque converter reduced shock transients on the driveline, thereby not overloading the driveshaft, diff and axle half shafts.

But I see that Ranger has the same ratings for Manual or Auto on models that sport both, so that whole argument goes out the window.

So these days I guess it comes down to personal preference. The auto is still probably likely to have the better fuel economy in the long run if that helps the decision making process. And in my opinion, modern turbo diesels are a munt to drive with a manual - they keep dropping off boost. Change, lull, whoosh, clutch, change, lull, whoosh, clutch.....

As for durability? Great question. The difference is not that much these days. We'll know the real answer to that in 3 to 4 years time to be honest. Everything else now is a best-effort guestimate.

Lukeyson
Old 27-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #8
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

We used to tow heavy loads with the work vehicles, (1200kg or slightly over).
The manual one went through 3 clutches, 1 flywheel & 1 gearbox in 5 years. Stopping & starting (traffic lights, intersections, just plain traffic) on hills, kills clutches & manual transmissions (bends the cogs teeth, eventually they break off). Have had no probs. towing the same loads with an auto.
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #9
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Would use an auto any day of the week.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #10
Ausromeo

Love my ZF in the ute for towing. Can be driven like a manual if need be. It just does everything right and is effortless to drive even with a heavy load.
Ausromeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #11
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After rebuilding an `el 4sp auto` am not surprised 1 little bit if a 6sp fails under load , no built in safety margins when it comes to bands and clutch pack failures , give me a c/4 or fmx anyday , can tow houses around all day in the middle of summer
Old 27-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #12
Matty4
Banana

I've towed boats and caravans over the 2T mark with both my old 4sp Terri and my current 6sp Terri. Auto wins hands down for me, especially since I can use the ZF in manual mode but not have to worry about slipping clutches on hill starts etc....
Old 27-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #13
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Luke I have had the general same thoughts as you.

I was under the impression for whatever reason an auto will carry a higher rating.

Maybe humans are to harsh with the clutch with a manual while towing? Dont know, I would think that would be the weak link.

This is a damn good question, I would like to know the tow ratings of say the BF GT auto vs Manual, or a FG XR8.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #14
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4
I've towed boats and caravans over the 2T mark with both my old 4sp Terri and my current 6sp Terri. Auto wins hands down for me, especially since I can use the ZF in manual mode but not have to worry about slipping clutches on hill starts etc....
Smoothness aside, which one would you say is better for towing?

Id be worried with the ZF, only because if something goes pop, atleast the old BTR is relatively cheap to rebuild.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #15
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickxr8
After rebuilding an `el 4sp auto` am not surprised 1 little bit if a 6sp fails under load , no built in safety margins when it comes to bands and clutch pack failures , give me a c/4 or fmx anyday , can tow houses around all day in the middle of summer
The old EL 4spd is nothing like the ZF. I have every bit of faith in the ZF. It's german engineered for a start. Keep it cool and it should go forever. For towing purposes it can be driven like a manual anyway.

If an auto is kept cool, and has it's oils kept in top notch condition it should outlast a manual when towing.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #16
mac_man_luke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My XR8 is rated to 2300kgs, ZF tows great.
Old 27-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #17
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Auto never had a problem towing 2 ton very long distances with my BA 4 speed. Just leave it in third on the highways shift use the tiptronic and make the engine do the work and not the gearbox.

Mine did have a factory trans cooler though, makes a world of difference.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #18
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
This is a damn good question, I would like to know the tow ratings of say the BF GT auto vs Manual, or a FG XR8.
The BFII GT/GT-P with the standard Class 1 tow pack, can tow 1600kg both auto & manual. If towing with the auto, they recommend using it in performance auto mode, to keep the transmission temperatures cooler. It doesn't say anything in the owners manual, but I'm pretty sure using the Ford Class 2 or heavy duty tow pack, you can tow 2300kg with a GT/GT-P. The Class 2 tow packs have to be installed at the factory, & can only be used with the auto (not available with a manual), pretty sure the Class 2 tow pack includes a larger trans. cooler, that's partly why it has to be installed at the factory.
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #19
Kynan
Sound of a V8 = Bliss

There's no way I would tow with my GT-P haha... I'd rather stick to the 4wd

For towing I find autos better especially when reversing the boat down our steep battleaxe driveway...
Kynan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #20
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Smoothness aside, which one would you say is better for towing?

Id be worried with the ZF, only because if something goes pop, atleast the old BTR is relatively cheap to rebuild.
I would still recommend the ZF.
The simple fact is for me the spread of ratio's feels better as from memory 1st is lower in the ZF as opposed to the BTR and it just "felt" more comfortable doing it.

I haven't done anything additional to my ZF (like coolers) etc, and it has 100K on it now. Having said that, it's in for the 105K service today and I'm having the trans heat exchanger/cooler thingy replaced for peace of mind.
Old 28-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #21
smally289
growing up is optional

Id prefer auto myself.
General rule of thumb when towing heavy loads with an auto is to manually select 1st when taking off. This engages the rear band and takes the load off other internal components. Same for doing burnouts, but in a Pathfinder or a Ranger, I guess this is not your plan!
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #22
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smally351
Id prefer auto myself.
General rule of thumb when towing heavy loads with an auto is to manually select 1st when taking off. This engages the rear band and takes the load off other internal components. Same for doing burnouts, but in a Pathfinder or a Ranger, I guess this is not your plan!

Hahahhaha! Well the Ranger has a healthy 470NM at some pretty low RPM, Im sure it could pull one off it pushed hard enough.

Now Im sure they do, but the Ranger we looked at was a manual so I cant be 100%, but do the new Rangers have a semi Auto option like our current model Falcons?
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #23
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Auto with cooler and check what final drive, wheels you have..
Your better off with std aspect wheels ..
Lower final drive helps big time...Less stress on trans ...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post