Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

Default What do FPV's have over HSV's?

Was just checking out the HSV's, nope I'm no traitor..

But looks like Aussie cars are finally stepping it up.

Touch screen control over the car, reverse sensors, blind spots everything, what's the latest FPV's offering that HSV's have incorporated or don't have, because last I checked they haven't advanced all that much.

Not much just yet but it's only a start.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What do FPV's have over HSV's?

An absolutely blistering SC Miami V8....

Old 06-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Give me 320rwkws over gadgets every day of the week.

holden man here btw
Old 06-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyDUZ747
Give me 320rwkws over gadgets every day of the week.
I'm the opposite. I prefer the luxury aspect over the power. I like to get around in comfort. Stock, these cars do a great job. If I want real power and real thrills, I'll get myself onto a litre sportbike.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

After driving a E3 GTS for the last two week, only the FPV engines and looks are winners over the what the GTS offers. Features and handling (in stock form anyways), the GTS has it over all the current FPV's IMO.

Would I buy a GTS? Nope. Just can't get past the exterior look of them.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Old 06-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #6
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've just gone through this dilemma myself... My options at this point in time were limited to the current GS in the FPV range. For the same sort of money i got myself a series 2 WM CapriceV. I had to toss up between sheer power and grunt, or a nice cruiser. I chose the Caprice this time around due to all the extras, and the GS felt too much like an XR.

Really enjoying the Caprice though, enough grunt and sheer luxury. Love the LWB too. I'll lower it, twin 3" exhaust and enjoy the drive.

In two years time, i'll probably opt for the GT, tune it and enjoy the grunt!
Old 06-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
Cheech
HELL YES

well if we're talking about power..... the title should be what do ford xr6t have over HSV's ? (Walky excluded) ha ha ha.

2019 Ssangyong Rexton fourby (the daily driver, tow pig & snowmobile)
Old 06-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #8
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

It would be naive to think that HSV won't be back with a Blown V8 to put Miami in the shade.
Their fans want the power and torque that FPV has and will be lining up to pay...
Old 06-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #9
DallasXR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter
Would I buy a GTS? Nope. Just can't get past the exterior look of them.
I hate the drls, and if I had the money would go a gte so it could hide a little.

On that note tho, I also hate the new look falcons, why go euro styled?
When the time comes that I could afford a fpv, if the trend of heading toward euro comes thru, ill be looking for second hand in the current crop

Red P's
Old 06-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #10
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GT badge nuff said......
Old 06-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #11
DallasXR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
It would be naive to think that HSV won't be back with a Blown V8 to put Miami in the shade.
Their fans want the power and torque that FPV has and will be lining up to pay...
I belive that the hsv petrol heads are more numerous and yell much louder than the fpv camp.. Specialy the younger gen, there are alot more commo fans looking for big power numbers just have a look thru street commodores forums..

Red P's
Old 06-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #12
jay289

No try hard Chevy badges!
Old 06-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #13
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Awesome exhaust note.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #14
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing, both a pretty **** poor efforts. If you combined the best of the two, you'd have a pretty awesome saloon car.
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
Old 06-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #15
b2tf
not here much anymore

Stripes?
Old 07-03-2012, 12:06 AM   #16
Cúl-Báire

In my opinion, both Holden (HSV) and Ford (Tickford/FPV) haven't really had a "special" car since the HSV VTI/VTII GTS OR (SV300), and TE/TS T3's. These cars were built in "limited" numbers, and significantly different mechanicly to what mum drove the kids to school in. They were the weekend "muscle cars" of their era, and something that is lacking these days.

There is nothing unique about owning an E3 GTS build number 23,451, nor is there about owning BF GT 2344, I reckon I see atleast 10 GTS's and 5 GT's on my trip to work every day...

Thats not to say they aren't great cars, they just aren't that "special" any more.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:48 AM   #17
HVAC PRO

An Fpv badge and its a Ford
Old 07-03-2012, 12:48 AM   #18
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cúl-Báire
In my opinion, both Holden (HSV) and Ford (Tickford/FPV) haven't really had a "special" car since the HSV VTI/VTII GTS OR (SV300), and TE/TS T3's. These cars were built in "limited" numbers, and significantly different mechanicly to what mum drove the kids to school in. They were the weekend "muscle cars" of their era, and something that is lacking these days.

There is nothing unique about owning an E3 GTS build number 23,451, nor is there about owning BF GT 2344, I reckon I see atleast 10 GTS's and 5 GT's on my trip to work every day...

Thats not to say they aren't great cars, they just aren't that "special" any more.
So it needs to be 'Special' as in how ....... slow, old and/or crappy ......

Might be an opinion but owning one is way more 'special' than anything else I have owned .... really ...... FORD/FPV bring out what everyone seemed to have wanted and is still not good enough, especially when you compare a GT 335 to a VT/HSV of any sort ...... and that is the topic at hand really

How is the number sold deciding what is more special?

Love the T series but were they limited in sales???? Did they only release a certain amount or did they just sell less than a GT???

But then that's just my opinion owning and driving one everyday .... best damn car I have owned ...... and I've had a few

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-03-2012, 02:23 AM   #19
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
They better hurry up and get it out. They dont have long left.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:08 AM   #20
z80
Banned

Probably just cosmetic but...

HSV all have nice big brakes front and rear.
FPV often have red hand painted rears like the F6 I saw recently.

Makes me cringe.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:50 AM   #21
dkpioe

having not owned either badge, i have to say the answer to the forum thread is NOTHING. Going by magazine articles, HSV have it all over ford in style and marketability. peak power numbers are similar, so which one you buy depends on if you are a brand-slut and only go for ford or holden, or if you go for the more attractive product=holden. FPV are its own worst nightmare offering a turbo 6 and a v8. if you have a turbo 6, why bother with a v8? its just stupid, it apeases about 2000 buyers a year who need a v8 just for the sound. Ford could develop the turbo 6 into a real weapon, but ford in the last decade in Australia have become idiots who are happy to see their sale dwindle every year.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:09 AM   #22
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkpioe
having not owned either badge, i have to say the answer to the forum thread is NOTHING. Going by magazine articles, HSV have it all over ford in style and marketability. peak power numbers are similar, so which one you buy depends on if you are a brand-slut and only go for ford or holden, or if you go for the more attractive product=holden. FPV are its own worst nightmare offering a turbo 6 and a v8. if you have a turbo 6, why bother with a v8? its just stupid, it apeases about 2000 buyers a year who need a v8 just for the sound. Ford could develop the turbo 6 into a real weapon, but ford in the last decade in Australia have become idiots who are happy to see their sale dwindle every year.
Peak power numbers are FAR from similar

Do some reading and you will learn that the GTs put out around 325rwkw consistently from factory. The GTS will be lucky to do 275rwkw.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:43 AM   #23
dkpioe

[quote=Auslandau especially when you compare a GT 335 to a VT/HSV of any sort [/quote]

why are you comparing a new fpv to a 1999 VT?

from tests i have seen, the gt335 doesnt have anything over a latest hsv. neck and neck in most test, maybe a few extra kilowatts for the falcon (at maximum revs - but inconsistent with each tested ford, some have less the 335).

at maximum power the cars are neck and neck in most tests, yet the holden has a more desirable image to most people(unless you are a die-die-diehard ford fan - of which there are less and less these days because people have realised their are better and more desirable cars)

why would people prefer a 'superchared v8' over a highly efficient v8 that doesnt need forced induction that weighs the same or less, gives the same or less fuel economy, has a proven record or reliability and gives similar power outputs and is in a more stylish, more desirable to the public - car?

Holden has been such a winner in the v8 war in australia for so long because the chev v8 is so great! it is amazing how little is weighs for the engine capacity it has. the 6.2 litre engine weighs less then a 6 cyl bmw engine half its capacity from the 90s and has twice as much power and heaps more torque and all useable so low in the rev range. and similar fuel economy!
the ford probably has that too, but they are so late to the plate, after using the 5.4l motor for far too long . which had a heavy image to it, search it on youtube and all you find is pickup trucks, a lot of people in australia saw it for what it was, as an agricultural engine - built primarily for farmers pickup trucks. That was Fords fault, and they spent far too many years before replacing it.

The new Fords 335 engine, the public doesnt really know if it is better or worse or if the fuel economy is better or worse, or if it has heaps of torque like the more known holden chev engines, because for one reason - FORD ARE TERRIBLE AT PROMOTION. they really are ****, they are their own worst nightmare, they are behind the eightball in everything.
-the supercharged v8
-the ecolpi-
-the diesel territory
-the 4 cyl falcon
all WAY WAY TOO LATE!
none of which will make any significant sales for ford australia, and at no time do the majority public realise if they are released. has the 4 cyl falcon been released yet? i dont know, i heard it should have been by now, but i havent seen anywhere in any media if it has.

with the new v8, instead of giving any real engine comparisons to holdens chev motors, all the public was given in australia for 2 years was 2 codewords "coyote" and "supercharged". coyote means nothing to anyone, and supercharged has the same conotation for aussie car buyers as turbocharged - meaning it will have less engine capacity, and aussie performance drivers are similar to Americans, they want CUBES - so the wile e. coyote was doomed for bad sales in australia versus a "CHEV" which links the american redneck culture to the aussie bogan culture. both have the mentality of more engine cubes is better.

I believe Ford sales would have gone up if they released a light all alloy fast revving 6.5litre falcon or FPV. this coyote crap is doomed as is everything else lately for ford australia, they do not know what sells, and they do not know how to sell it.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:11 AM   #24
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

from tests i have seen, the gt335 doesnt have anything over a latest hsv. neck and neck in most test, maybe a few extra kilowatts for the falcon (at maximum revs - but inconsistent with each tested ford, some have less the 335).

at maximum power the cars are neck and neck in most tests, yet the holden has a more desirable image to most people(unless you are a die-die-diehard ford fan - of which there are less and less these days because people have realised their are better and more desirable cars)

why would people prefer a 'superchared v8' over a highly efficient v8 that doesnt need forced induction that weighs the same or less, gives the same or less fuel economy, has a proven record or reliability and gives similar power outputs and is in a more stylish, more desirable to the public - car?

Holden has been such a winner in the v8 war in australia for so long because the chev v8 is so great! it is amazing how little is weighs for the engine capacity it has. the 6.2 litre engine weighs less then a 6 cyl bmw engine half its capacity from the 90s and has twice as much power and heaps more torque and all useable so low in the rev range. and similar fuel economy!
the ford probably has that too, but they are so late to the plate, after using the 5.4l motor for far too long . which had a heavy image to it, search it on youtube and all you find is pickup trucks, a lot of people in australia saw it for what it was, as an agricultural engine - built primarily for farmers pickup trucks. That was Fords fault, and they spent far too many years before replacing it.

The new Fords 335 engine, the public doesnt really know if it is better or worse or if the fuel economy is better or worse, or if it has heaps of torque like the more known holden chev engines, because for one reason - FORD ARE TERRIBLE AT PROMOTION. they really are ****, they are their own worst nightmare, they are behind the eightball in everything.
-the supercharged v8
-the ecolpi-
-the diesel territory
-the 4 cyl falcon
all WAY WAY TOO LATE!
none of which will make any significant sales for ford australia, and at no time do the majority public realise if they are released. has the 4 cyl falcon been released yet? i dont know, i heard it should have been by now, but i havent seen anywhere in any media if it has.

with the new v8, instead of giving any real engine comparisons to holdens chev motors, all the public was given in australia for 2 years was 2 codewords "coyote" and "supercharged". coyote means nothing to anyone, and supercharged has the same conotation for aussie car buyers as turbocharged - meaning it will have less engine capacity, and aussie performance drivers are similar to Americans, they want CUBES - so the wile e. coyote was doomed for bad sales in australia versus a "CHEV" which links the american redneck culture to the aussie bogan culture. both have the mentality of more engine cubes is better.

I believe Ford sales would have gone up if they released a light all alloy fast revving 6.5litre falcon or FPV. this coyote crap is doomed as is everything else lately for ford australia, they do not know what sells, and they do not know how to sell it.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #25
theboxmike

Quote:

-the supercharged v8
-the ecolpi-
-the diesel territory
-the 4 cyl falcon
all WAY WAY TOO LATE!

I'm sorry WHAT??
Old 07-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #26
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire
An absolutely blistering SC Miami V8....
yep, a little bit of envy for having a supercharger.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #27
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what do fpv's have over hsv's......thats easy good looks!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #28
Rodge
Banned

FPV,
Significantly stronger engine, circa 50 rwkw's better than any HSV.
Better wider spread of torque.
Vastly better world class ZF transmission.
Best suspension set-up for average real world driving conditions
8 Inch touchscreen
Wasn't designed by a 14 year old school-kid and doesn't look like a motorised mechano set
Old 07-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #29
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Quote:

-the supercharged v8
-the ecolpi-
-the diesel territory
-the 4 cyl falcon
all WAY WAY TOO LATE!

6.5 Litre!!
I think the climate concious generation would prefer a HSV killing 5.0litre. HSV will follow suit soon enough. The rest of the people just look at the badge and 335 is a nice big number.
Aussie engineers fixed the Boss truck engine and we have great vehicles

The only part of your statement anyone would agree with is Ford are screwing up the marketing.

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
Old 07-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #30
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What do FPV annual sales figure look like compared to HSV?
Closed Thread