Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Dont worry..its not just Ford

So we hear horror stories about Ford and warranties/service etc, but I just wanted to note that its not just Ford that seems to go out of their way to not produce what could be called simple good service.

I was meeting a service manager of a particular Japanese automotive company located on the Neapan Highway in Brighton the other day buying something completely unrelated to that firm..but thats by the by.

What I saw left me gobsmacked and confirmed how sad our society has become with regards to following procedure and not using our brain.

A little old lady comes in, she would have been in her 60's or 70's, had brought a small sedan some 10 years ago brand new from the dealership. RACV changed a battery in her car and therefore it needed the radio PIN to reactivate it.

So after she tried to explain the situation, and her thick european accent wasnt helping (sounded like my Hungarian grandma), the young service attendant behind the desk said no worries, ill get you your PIN.

He comes back and states very abruptly that "you do know there is usually a charge for this PIN". She obviously has no idea that there would be a charge, she didnt even know her radio needed a PIN in the first place!

Anyway he writes it down on a bit of paper and hands it to the lady.

She looks at the paper and this is the conversation:

lady - "now what do I do with it"
service - "you enter it into your radio"
lady - "how do I do that?"
service - "if I tell you or come out and do it I will charge you $88"

Now I was right next to her and for some reason the young guy walked out fort a bit. I said excuse Miss but that is wrong, I will do it for you when I finish with the guy I want to talk to.

Im not kidding, the car was not even 10 meters from the door..I just couldnt believe he expected a lady of her maturity to "go and do it yourself".

Anyway after myself and another guy waiting for his car have a laugh at how poor the service was the manager comes outside and I get what I was after, and I told him how I thought that guy should have handled the old lady a bit better.

Lucky the manager is a top bloke and went in to her car and sorted it.

But seriously, that is so lazy. Sure you might loose $88 for a rip off code entry, but they just lost that lady and her families business for good.

If I was the manager I would have ripped the young bloke a new backside.

But anyway, just a note to say that Ford and all the others are not alone. Its sad, because good service should be a normal thing but now it seems special when we get it.

• 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Default Re: Dont worry..its not just Ford

Not looking to start a debate or argument here, but it doesn't take a brain surgeon to punch four numbers into a radio. As he said he usually charges for the code, as ALOT of other places do yet gave it to her for free, does she expect him to wipe her bum too?

Flame suit..on!
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good service and bad service in ALL dealerships

the dealership that I had trouble with sold my wife her "work" car.....she is an in home carer....goes place to place showering and caring for disabled and elderly

just so happens that one of the disabled piddled in her back seat, despite being asked repeatedly whether she needed the loo

I couldn't figure out how to get the seat out so I sent her back to the dealership to ask how to remove the seat

I got a phone call to go and pick her up as the people who do this are at lunch and wouldnt be back till later

11/2 hours pass and I was getting a bit anxy then the phone rang, it was the dealership asking that she come and pick her car up

we arrived, expecting a bill.......the car was out the front fully detailed and smelling like new again

wife went in to get the keys and ask for the bill......could have knocked me over with a feather.....

back seat removed, cleaned, replaced and full vehicle clean......no charge!

I took the detailing crew down a carton of beer!

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfpv
Not looking to start a debate or argument here, but it doesn't take a brain surgeon to punch four numbers into a radio. As he said he usually charges for the code, as ALOT of other places do yet gave it to her for free, does she expect him to wipe her bum too?

Flame suit..on!

Glad you have your flame suit on surely you are not serious, surely? have you ever worked with old people before? It took me 4 hours just to teach my grandparents how to use a new microwave, a very simple one. the older generation today have been totally left behind in our forever evolving new tech world. It would literally have taken 5 minutes for this guy to quickly jump out the front and help the old lady. If i heard one of my workers speaking to a customer like that he would be out the door with my boot up his a$s. This little old lady has probably already given this company back a crap load of money and probably been ripped off a few times because she is old, and yet you say she didn't deserve to have a little bit of the old customer service?
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
Rodge
Banned

^^ I agree, into the naughty corner for you Chris.

Last edited by Rodge; 06-03-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
TZENU
XY Driv3r

And it just doesn't happen in dealerships... Years ago I was standing in a queue at an automotive parts reatiler where an older gentlemen had just purchased a set of $250 sheepskin covers and had politely requested assistance in installing them. The bloke behind the counter looked at me and I told him Im more than happy to wait while he gives this customer a hand as there were other assistants in the store anyway.
Out of the blue this so called "sales assistant" demands the old bloke pay him $120 cash to have them fitted... I was so blown away by this I dropped the stuff I was going to buy and went and did it for him.. Took all of 10 minutes..
Lack of respect towards elderly people really gets to me and its been on the rise for a while

If that sales guy spoke to my grandfather like that I would have flattened him!!!
Old 06-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^ incredible!......

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 06-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Flame suit..on!
i wish i was awesome like you...
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #9
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
elderly people really gets to me and its been on the rise for a while

If that sales guy spoke to my grandfather like that I would have flattened him!!!
That sums it up. Gen Y have no idea. It took my mother (RIP Mum) a good 12 months to learn how to use her mibile phone. And even after she learnt how to use it, I'd get a call from the landline saying "The phone is stuffed. I charged it for 24 hours and it doesn't work". So I'd go over there and simply turn it on for her, (she would never turn her phone off, just charge it regularly but it obviously went completley flat and turned itself off. Same with my dad, where he is in the home, the carers sometimes turn his TV off, and turn off his foxtel box by mistake. So he follows my instructions on operating the TV, but if anything outside that routine is required, they struggle.

No reflection on them, just their generation weren't brought up with gadgets and electronics, so they don't know how to use them.
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #10
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

respect up old dudes.. one day you will be one...
Old 06-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #11
GT-E

It is easy to be critical of the "young person" who did not do the right thing in your eyes, but there is always 2 sides to a story.
Imagine that this young guy has tried to help people before only to have either the boss reem him for leaving his counter/not charging for work, or someone he tried to help only to be taken advantage of or not thanked or appreciated.
I run a Computer service business and I try to instill in staff to think of the problem in the clients shoes. Would they be happy with what is being told to them.
You cannot keep everyone happy all the time, and some things must be charged for.
While I think the PIN should have been entered in Free, you never know what has made the staff member ask for payment. His boss may be riding him hard to recoup some money from his "service".
Old 06-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #12
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-E
It is easy to be critical of the "young person" who did not do the right thing in your eyes, but there is always 2 sides to a story.
Imagine that this young guy has tried to help people before only to have either the boss reem him for leaving his counter/not charging for work, or someone he tried to help only to be taken advantage of or not thanked or appreciated.
I run a Computer service business and I try to instill in staff to think of the problem in the clients shoes. Would they be happy with what is being told to them.
You cannot keep everyone happy all the time, and some things must be charged for.
While I think the PIN should have been entered in Free, you never know what has made the staff member ask for payment. His boss may be riding him hard to recoup some money from his "service".
hardly an excuse to be an ****
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #13
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

You know it is not the youngins' fault here. How do they know that they have to charge customers for these sorts of things? They are told by someone else...

As for the radio code...well that just isn't the oldies that don't understand how it works. My festiva lost it's radio code some 10yrs ago now and I had to put it back in....took me awhile to work it out...but then again, I am often told I am special

I do have to say though, it is good to see members stepping in and lending a hand. You guys should be proud of yourselves

Cheers
Col
Old 06-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #14
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Sadly in todays society, the lack of respect and patience for the elderly generation is becoming less and less. Sure they are slow at understand technological gadgets and other things related, but they do still deserve our respect.

My grandmother who is in her late 70's recently bought a new auto Nissan Micra after owning her 12-15 year old manual Nissan Pulsar and needed to trade it in due to a hip replacement.

She didn't purchase the up spec model, she just wanted the base model that was the easiest and cheapest to purchase. The base model came with 4 dr electric windows, electric mirrors, trip computer etc etc.
My grandma, was so overwhelmed with the technology involved just to operate the car under normal driving conditions that it took weeks for her just to get used to driving an automatic without wanting to manually change the auto gear stick into first and put her left foot on the brake.
The electric windows were another problem for her. She has been used to window winders for the past 40-50 years of driving that she was afraid to use them. Trip computer to her? what's that? She doesn't bother touching it.

We may laugh and/or find it annoying to have to explain repeatedly to our older generation about the ins and outs of what we view as menial and superficial gadgets, but for someone who is so used to keeping things simple, we seem to expect them to learn and fend for themselves a lot faster.

How easy is it for some of us to say its too hard to look after our ailing/mature ones and send them off to a nursing home to fend for themselves till they die?

To the OP, well done for showing a level of respect and dignity for that poor lady who just needed 5 mins of someone's time.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #15
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a question to ask.

If the person who served the customer, came out to do this for free and damaged the radio.

Who would be responsible to pay for the damaged radio?

would it be he customer as they own the car, the employee who did this as a good will gesture or the company the employee works for?

It may not be good customer service but sometimes to be covered under warrenty, isnurance and workers comp, you need to be getting paid for teh job.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #16
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
I have a question to ask.

If the person who served the customer, came out to do this for free and damaged the radio.

Who would be responsible to pay for the damaged radio?

would it be he customer as they own the car, the employee who did this as a good will gesture or the company the employee works for?

It may not be good customer service but sometimes to be covered under warrenty, isnurance and workers comp, you need to be getting paid for teh job.
youre the sort of bloke that would charge $88 to punch in a code ey.....
Old 06-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #17
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Flame suit..on!

Not wishing to generalise, but your parents are obviously fairly young...
My 78 year old mother still has to ring us up when "the TV won't work", and it's just gone off the channel the aerial comes through from the DVD (Aux 1 or something). She isn't that bad with technology...but she refuses to get a mobile phone, and dislikes anything too technical. The colour display in our G6E amazes her.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #18
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
youre the sort of bloke that would charge $88 to punch in a code ey.....
No I wouldnt charge, but at one of the mechanics shops I worked at a few years ago, one of the people behind the counter, who was not a mechanic, went out to fit a part to a car for free and ended up destroying the the electrics in the car. Cost my boss $2000 with parts and labour. From then on, no more free fittings.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #19
BHDOGS
Banned

I plan On being the same in 40 years yelling at holograms that talk as u walk by waving my cane at young whipper snappers as they cruise by on there hover boards while saying old dude hip cat and giving me The finger then I'll reminds bout the good old days when ford where made in Australia and all we had we're head gasket issues and v8 engines not these 3000hp flying cars of today
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #20
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
No I wouldnt charge, but at one of the mechanics shops I worked at a few years ago, one of the people behind the counter, who was not a mechanic, went out to fit a part to a car for free and ended up destroying the the electrics in the car. Cost my boss $2000 with parts and labour. From then on, no more free fittings.
It was just a radio code, nothing was being fitted. Common sense, you don't charge $88 to punch in a code for an elderly person.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #21
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^ why not, I was quoted $800 to wire in 4 ceiling fans (3 wires each)......I put the stringers in, I hung the fans and I wired up the lower light, I mounted the remote

I estimate probably ten minute each fan, took me half an hour but I am not an expert

remote control fans to boot.......needless to say I'm currently doing it myself!

Old 06-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #22
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
It was just a radio code, nothing was being fitted. Common sense, you don't charge $88 to punch in a code for an elderly person.
Top post of the thread.

Ed
Old 06-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #23
EL97
Former owner, still a fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260
That sums it up. Gen Y have no idea.
I find that to be quite a generalisation. I've had good and bad experiences with all generations. I once went a wrecker to get a bonnet for my falcon, was negotiating a price with an old bloke who was a part owner, when the other owner comes running over, 'take x amount of dollars or leave' while then preceding to evil eye me, downright rude. The pedders I go to get work done is managed by a guy not much older than me (I'm 22), and while the place is usually busy he will give you the time of day and regularly takes customers into the workshop show them any problems in detail. Best customer service I've seen in a while.
EL97 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #24
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ahhh the old debate of things getting too technical for older people there is one very easy way to avoid getting new gadgety items and thats to keep the old ones!!!

e.g. : i'm 22 on the 8th yet the laptop is coming round to its 8th birthday and the phone is a hand me down thats serviced my mum, dad and now my self. its just passed a decade old.

i love old stuff as it doesn't brake is easily fixed and very well built generally. and the phones battery lasts for ever and is small !!!! try finding a phone as reliable as that in the modern market lol.

and as for the stories in this thread the guys trying to charge for these sorts of things is totally disrespectful.
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #25
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sadly this person doesnt understand one day he will be old and wont have a clue how to punch in his radio code in his fully h"electric" car (or is that cart?).

Plus the elderly are much easier "prey" when it comes to being ripped off.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #26
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:

This instance means the person that did the job shouldn't have touched the bloody thing. No experience, leave the thing alone.

Punching a radio code in. Not rocket science when you're upto date with modern technology....So bloody difficult to screw things up.

Problem is, old fashioned customer service is lacking. I refuse to work for mongrel places like the one described by the OP. Too worried about the mighty dollar and not worried about the people that bring the dollar to them.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #27
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey !!! I am on the wrong side of 60, I have a smart phone, pvr's and beta Windows 8!!!!!
Old 06-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #28
Djrystofer

Quote:

Flame suit..on!
better be a damn good flamesuit

It's her wanting him to 'wipe her bum' for her, it's the fact that he wanted $88 to do it
Djrystofer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #29
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

I think its a little bit of a dog shot to say about Gen Ys here. Im a Gen Y and would be gutter kicking peoples heads in if they spoke to my parents likes that. (late 60s).
No excuse and no reason treat them like that. I ended up going to Hyandai myself for my mum as they tried to pull the same stunt.

If your employee is dumb enough to break the car whilst entering in a radio code they dont need a job but a padded room with medication!
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #30
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Hey !!! I am on the wrong side of 60, I have a smart phone, pvr's and beta Windows 8!!!!!
the wrong side of 60, does that make you 40ish?