Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Injectors, possible to increase flow?

I've got a bit of an odd question here, is it possible to modify an injector to increase the amount of fuel that can flow through it without buying new ones?

Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
Djrystofer

Default Re: Injectors, possible to increase flow?

If it can be done, I can't imagine they'd last too long if they're stock.
It would be easier just buying a new set
Djrystofer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Cheaper & easier to get new ones.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djrystofer
If it can be done, I can't imagine they'd last too long if they're stock.
It would be easier just buying a new set
Can't get these particular type of injectors in high flow, Siemens piezo-electric injectors.
Old 28-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
Djrystofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Can't get these particular type of injectors in high flow, Siemens piezo-electric injectors.
Do a google search, I'm sure you'll come up with something.
I did one, but the people who've modified them found nothing but flow problems due to them all not being exactly the same (Backyard modding)
Djrystofer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #6
Pub247
Resident F1 Troll

you can get them drilled out bigger best done by someone who knows what theyre doing you'd want to get them flow tested and matched afterwards as you have no idea what they can do when you go to tune them
Pub247 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #7
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Injector orifices are the most precision made part of the vehicle. I would not get them drilled out.

If you want increased flow rate from the same hole size, increase the pressure difference across the hole. i.e, Increase your fuel pressure. This may not be ideal as the injector orifices are designed with a particular pressure in mind to give a particular spray pattern but later multi-hole injectors are much more tolerant of pressure variation than older single pintle styles.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmelon
Injector orifices are the most precision made part of the vehicle. I would not get them drilled out.

If you want increased flow rate from the same hole size, increase the pressure difference across the hole. i.e, Increase your fuel pressure. This may not be ideal as the injector orifices are designed with a particular pressure in mind to give a particular spray pattern but later multi-hole injectors are much more tolerant of pressure variation than older single pintle styles.
The issue here is we've got sensors which will go out of their range if you push it more than slightly higher than stock, so there will be a slight gain there, but not enough to sustain more than a small increase.

What the plan was is that increase the duration of the injectors but it gives less time for the fuel to burn, so we're going to get lots of smoke at high revs/full throttle.
Old 28-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #9
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
The issue here is we've got sensors which will go out of their range if you push it more than slightly higher than stock, so there will be a slight gain there, but not enough to sustain more than a small increase.

What the plan was is that increase the duration of the injectors but it gives less time for the fuel to burn, so we're going to get lots of smoke at high revs/full throttle.
And a spark plug in the zorst to ignite the un burnt fuel? ;)

So you want the car to run rich...? Or have I missed summat?
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 11:06 PM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative
And a spark plug in the zorst to ignite the un burnt fuel? ;)

So you want the car to run rich...? Or have I missed summat?
Basically, we can only do so much power/torque wise with what fuel is getting there at the moment, you can get a little bit of an increase, maybe a total of 20-30hp with some mods, like full exhaust including high flow cat, air intake and a tune, but after that, you can't get enough fuel in there to get more power, you hit a limit really early due to some sensors which will go out of range with more than a slight increase, and injectors which won't flow any higher without making them spray for longer causing another issue, and there being no high flow replacements.
Old 29-02-2012, 01:33 AM   #11
LightingBA

As far as im aware about the only way to get anymore fuel is to change either the fuel pressure or the duration of injectors. I assume your talking about your focus?
LightingBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #12
z80
Banned

Drill a hole just after the throttle body and mount an auxiliary injector if you want to dump more fuel in, you can control it with a variety of aftermarket piggy back injectors, such as a PerfectPower SMT6.
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #13
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Lol!.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #14
Mad_Pom

Quote:
I've got a bit of an odd question here, is it possible to modify an injector to increase the amount of fuel that can flow through it without buying new ones?
if you want increased flow the other option is to increase the fuel pressure. The fuel flow proportional to orifice size x opening time x fuel pressure.
Wouldn't touch orifice size, as this may affect durability.
Opening time is tune change
Fuel pressure multiplies the delivered fuel by the percentage of pressure increase.

Just a thought
Mad_Pom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightingBA
As far as im aware about the only way to get anymore fuel is to change either the fuel pressure or the duration of injectors. I assume your talking about your focus?
Yep, thats the one, injectors for my Falcon would be **** easy to find .

A few others have tried changing the duration to a longer time, they get the desired effect but then they start belching out black smoke under hard acceleration because it can't burn all the extra fuel in time and it just goes out the exhaust.

With fuel pressure, you can only go slighty higher than factory before a sensor goes out of range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
Drill a hole just after the throttle body and mount an auxiliary injector if you want to dump more fuel in, you can control it with a variety of aftermarket piggy back injectors, such as a PerfectPower SMT6.
Diesel vehicles don't have throttle bodies unfortunately, I know what you are saying though, similar setup to a throttle body injection EFI system in the days long gone
Old 01-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #16
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yep, thats the one, injectors for my Falcon would be **** easy to find .

A few others have tried changing the duration to a longer time, they get the desired effect but then they start belching out black smoke under hard acceleration because it can't burn all the extra fuel in time and it just goes out the exhaust.

With fuel pressure, you can only go slighty higher than factory before a sensor goes out of range.

Diesel vehicles don't have throttle bodies unfortunately, I know what you are saying though, similar setup to a throttle body injection EFI system in the days long gone
So this is a diesel you're talking about? That would make it direct injection and in that case, definitely DON'T CHANGE THE INJECTOR ORIFICES.

Diesels will always blow black smoke when you add fuel because they don't have the opportunity to vaporise it as well as a petrol does.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post