Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
brett7777
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Modern GT replica's

Given that for many years now people have been doing replicas of XW/XY GT's, & these machines have street cred, Im interested to know...do people think there will be room for people to do replica's of the modern FPV's ie. BA/BF/FG...? And what kind of street cred would these have, if 'done well' ?

brett7777 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Default Re: Modern GT replica's

Hard to say what people will think in the future, but limiting factor will be parts. Body kits are too expensive for the average jo. It will be too easy to pick a fake.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett7777
Given that for many years now people have been doing replicas of XW/XY GT's, & these machines have street cred, Im interested to know...do people think there will be room for people to do replica's of the modern FPV's ie. BA/BF/FG...? And what kind of street cred would these have, if 'done well' ?
they already are....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

I think this thread is related very closely to my thread on Plastic becoming Classic.

Is it all relative? Pottery Beige; yes people are already making mock up BA/BF/FG GTs, but most enthusiasts/purists mock these.

These same enthusiasts don't generally mock the XW/XY GT replicas. Why? They are seen as 'classic'.

Fast forward 35 - 40 years - the enthusiasts of the day will respect the new replica GTs. It's all relative.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why would you bother. The costing of the body kit, the motor, box, interior etc, it would be cheaper to go and get a real one.

People with fake B series GT, I can pick them in a sec. I have not seen one that has been done that good it is hard to tell.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #6
brett7777
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So i guess if someone started doing well priced aftermarket body kits then it would be more feasible?
brett7777 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #7
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett7777
So i guess if someone started doing well priced aftermarket body kits then it would be more feasible?

There is heaps of after market body kits around that are cheap, but I have yet to see 1 that is near perfect.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_f...All-Categories
Old 26-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #8
fordman302

there is a red bf gt replica in shepparton, looks alright but took them a while to get it all done and gave away their secret, oh and its a six driven around by a p plater, not a bad option considering the power limits for p platers these days
fordman302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #9
Oxa384
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a replica of a replica interesting concept
Oxa384 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #10
4vdean

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
Why would you bother. The costing of the body kit, the motor, box, interior etc, it would be cheaper to go and get a real one.

People with fake B series GT, I can pick them in a sec. I have not seen one that has been done that good it is hard to tell.
maybe you have seen a replica but you didn't pick it for a replica, it had been done that good that you thought you were looking at a really nice GT (or GT-P) but I tend to agree, you can pick em if your an enthusiast.

maybe if someone used a wrecked GT for all the detailed bits and a replica body kit they would be half way there.

but even all the XW XY replicas there always seems to be a simple dead give away for a replica, usually wrong mirrors especially...............
Old 26-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #11
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Cause its being done and some with great results ...... schultzie has done well with his XR8 ute which I would classify as a sort of replica! I don't know anyone personally who would poo poo them ...... I don't know how you could!

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...43&postcount=1

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #12
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the difference is when there an auto 6cyl forte with cloth trim sporting fpv badging. People who build XR, XW, WY etc etc GT's, usually fill theyre engine bays with something with grunt.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #13
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by monkeys
I think the difference is when there an auto 6cyl forte with cloth trim sporting fpv badging. People who build XR, XW, WY etc etc GT's, usually fill theyre engine bays with something with grunt.
This.

See so many GT/F6 kitted cars running n/a 6's it just ruins the reputation of the real thing, especially amongst the uneducated that can't tell they're a fake.

"I totally ripped a GT" /quote VN v6 owner.

XY/XW etc. replicas don't go getting around with a pre-crossflow 6.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2012, 11:39 PM   #14
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine

XY/XW etc. replicas don't go getting around with a pre-crossflow 6.
these days they may not, but certainly go back a few years when they were common and cheap, there was just as many 6 cylinder gt replicas as there are modern 6 cylinder gt replicas.

what i dont get is the disdain for someone choosing to copy the best of the breed?
people who cant afford the real thing have been building their own for decades, and really if its not 100% perfect who cares, at least theyre enjoying themselves.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2012, 12:45 AM   #15
krypto71

I really dont see what the big deal is about putting an FPV replica kit onto a non FPV vehicle. Just don't go trying to sell it as an FPV when its not.

From what I've read on here, it is usually people that have spent their 70k or whatever the cost was for a new FPV that get their noses out of joint like it somehow cheapens their vehicle. I doubt that could really take the smile off your face if you are fortunate enough to own a GT or F6.

Did Ford cheapen your 290kw GT when they stuck the motor into the FG XR8?
krypto71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #16
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vdean
maybe you have seen a replica but you didn't pick it for a replica, it had been done that good that you thought you were looking at a really nice GT (or GT-P) but I tend to agree, you can pick em if your an enthusiast.

maybe if someone used a wrecked GT for all the detailed bits and a replica body kit they would be half way there.

but even all the XW XY replicas there always seems to be a simple dead give away for a replica, usually wrong mirrors especially...............
The only reason I can pick them, is that I drive a BA GT everyday.

If people want to put kits onto a Falcon i do not care. But the quality and the fit is not good. I have seen a few and not one of them fit like a real FPV kit does on a real GT.
Old 27-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #17
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No point in replicas when the real thing is so affordable.

Don't have a problem with it, just don't think it's viable.

The idea of a 70's replica is to avoid paying for the JG33 compliance plate.

New ones are only valued at the sum of their parts, no more
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #18
Legit290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just don't spray it green...
Old 27-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #19
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxa384
a replica of a replica interesting concept
Huh? what a ba gt is a rep of what?

Weekender. AU XR8 s2 sedan. 427 windsor, t56 magnum. 3.9 locker.
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 01:49 AM   #20
Linkachu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seen a brand new FG with a GT kit and some P plater driving it.
Linkachu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 02:55 AM   #21
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

well they made thousands of BA GT's and not so many of the X series, few survive today anyway due to rust, hence the replicas, I dont think the B series replicas will be as "big" in 30 years time as the X series.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 03:20 AM   #22
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownv8au
Huh? what a ba gt is a rep of what?
i believe hes intimating that a modern gt isnt a 'real' gt...
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 08:03 AM   #23
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by krypto71
Did Ford cheapen your 290kw GT when they stuck the motor into the FG XR8?
Yes they did
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 08:19 AM   #24
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

replicas are generally made for one reason
the owner wants a particular model, but cannot afford it. sometimes other factors come into it such as options only being available in certain models and not others
in general, a buyer will buy what they can afford and then start making the car resemble what they want. it is not exclusive to x-series cars. in fact, replicas of
x-series cars have only recently become of such a high? quality. in the 80's there were just as many replicas, but some had 6's, some had nothing more than a set of stripes. it is only lately where the value of the cars has gone up, that full on replica's have become so popular

the newer cars have the same attention to detail towards replicas as the x-series cars had in the 80's, so they are easy to pick. also, nowadays there are many more options for body kits and the like, covering many different price ranges. the current replicas are so easy to pick because of different fit quality with the add ons. with an x-series, all you needed was a basic colour, stripes and maybe a shaker or spoiler or two - not a whole body kit, so obviously the current ones are of totally different quality - but they are still around
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #25
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
replicas are generally made for one reason
the owner wants a particular model, but cannot afford it. sometimes other factors come into it such as options only being available in certain models and not others
in general, a buyer will buy what they can afford and then start making the car resemble what they want. it is not exclusive to x-series cars. in fact, replicas of
x-series cars have only recently become of such a high? quality. in the 80's there were just as many replicas, but some had 6's, some had nothing more than a set of stripes. it is only lately where the value of the cars has gone up, that full on replica's have become so popular
yeah who would think back in the 80s, Kmart chromed 12 slotters ,biiiig wide TAs, jacked up rearends like 4by,would define a genuine GT to a replicar
Cars , trends go in and out of fashion,o who could forget pastel colours and graphics
I dont understand why people are all hating on others due to a badge, a strip, a spoiler whatever
Ive heard in the 70s , blokes were putting superoo strips on , heavens forbid valiants
Replicars,fakers , whatever have been around since noah was designing his big wooden boat
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #26
FTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some replicas are done because the owner builds it over time. They may not have the funds to buy one or do it all at once or simply likes the look of a GT but knows its purpose wont be suited to a genuine GT, so building a replica makes more sense. An enthuiast may build the car because he/ she is an enthuiast but their family arent (little kids especially).
FTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #27
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

There's nothing wrong with kitting something up providing its done properly, with original parts... Nothing worse then seeing some half baked BA XT with a fibreglass kit, black door strips and black mirrors...
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 01:22 PM   #28
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
There's nothing wrong with kitting something up providing its done properly, with original parts... Nothing worse then seeing some half baked BA XT with a fibreglass kit, black door strips and black mirrors...

Spot on.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #29
samsy351
351XB - Underbelly II Car

Here's a replica
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ford-ba-b...item3a70c12c9a
Old 02-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #30
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsy351
Looks good ......... but the problem with selling, it nearly is the price of the real thing for a BA GT. Perfect for a P plater!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post