Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-11-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ringwood Raceway proposed near Newcastle, NSW

Apparently a new development application for a 2.9km circuit in the Port Stephens area has been re submitted.

http://www.ringwoodraceway.com.au/index.php?module=home

This will be a huge boost for the Newcastle, Port Stephens and Hunter Valley areas.

I believe the original plan by the previous owner was for a motorplex type setup but this was rejected due to wanting to run Top Fuel drag meets. The new application is apparently alot more council friendly.

Very interesting to see how this pans out.

GT 160 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 
Default Re: Ringwood Raceway proposed near Newcastle, NSW

This has been ongoing for many years. At present there is a hillclimb circuit which is owned by the Newcastle MG Car Club.

I sincerely hope that this new proposal is succesful. It absolutely deserves to.

Within an hour and a half drive of the proposed development there are over 500,000 people. The business case stacks up and no government assistance is being sought.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

I like it, and it looks well thought out, with the track being setup so that two 'short' tracks can run simultaneously.

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
This has been ongoing for many years. At present there is a hillclimb circuit which is owned by the Newcastle MG Car Club.

I sincerely hope that this new proposal is succesful. It absolutely deserves to.

Within an hour and a half drive of the proposed development there are over 500,000 people. The business case stacks up and no government assistance is being sought.
I knew the MGCC had ties to the place but lets hope this new application is given the consideration it deserves and doesnt get shot down by the usual handfull of whingers that are hell bent on stopping any progress in the area.
Old 29-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #5
SteveJH

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzwa
I knew the MGCC had ties to the place but lets hope this new application is given the consideration it deserves and doesnt get shot down by the usual handfull of whingers that are hell bent on stopping any progress in the area.
Who is complaining about it? It looks to be in the middle of nowhere?!?!

Current:
Old 29-11-2011, 03:38 PM   #6
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

Not sure exactly, but I'm pretty sure the last application was knocked back due to onsite parking, traffic in the area & the safety of the intersection with the Pacific Hwy, for traffic entering & leaving the circuit. Almost certain the RTA stopped the plans because they didn't want to upgrade the intersection & the developers didn't have the money to do it themselves (in the millions IIRC).
I don't think the actual events to be held had anything to due with it, other than the amount of traffic they would generate around the area. The knock back ruling went to court, I haven't heard the details of the outcome, but they obviously lost & have had to make changes. Bit more info is here http://www.mgcarclub.com.au/ringwood.htm
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I support this. Id look at buying a track day car if this track opened and allowed regular track days
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 04:20 PM   #8
350125GO
67 Galaxie Hardtop

Looks like a half-decent circuit. Bit disappointing about the top fuel drag meets being a no go though.
350125GO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #9
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
Who is complaining about it? It looks to be in the middle of nowhere?!?!
Probably the nine locals (or NIMBY's) in the area who turned up to the public meeting about the track at Raymond Terrace a few years back. The support for it at that meeting was overwhelming with numbers into the hundreds. The overwhelming support still didn't get approved.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2011, 01:56 PM   #10
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all his work in the project section. Awesome effort. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFGXR6
Probably the nine locals (or NIMBY's) in the area who turned up to the public meeting about the track at Raymond Terrace a few years back. The support for it at that meeting was overwhelming with numbers into the hundreds. The overwhelming support still didn't get approved.
I was at the original town meeting many years ago when i used to live in Raymond Terrace. Still to this day i cannot believe it was knocked back, especially when i heard they were worried about the environmental impact the track would have and concerns about the racing fuels and oils etc i was dumbfounded.... if they wanted to look at an environmental impact, i used to work at the rock quarry right next door!!! there was an environmental impact!!!

Anyway, rant off.... i hope id goes ahead tho, would do the town good and hopefully this time port stephens council pulls their heads out of their..... well, you know.... they might see the light and realise they are on a good thing here with real money potential for the community.

If they had built this before i moved, i might not have moved considering would have been less than 10min from my house

"BARNEY" 2003 BA GT #332, Phantom, Boss 290, FR20 Simmons. XYZ Brakes - 355mm Rotors - 8piston Front Calipers & 4piston Rear More Mods soon!!
MR.BA.GT.332 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #11
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFGXR6
Yes it is in the middle of no-where but with the Pacific Hwy about 1km from the circuit. It is also under the flight path too.

Regarding the people living in the area, about a dozen homes built there in the 1970s without proper consent as it was not zoned for dwellings. From what I gather, they bought the land from an unscrupulous developer who sold 'rural building blocks'. The people then did what they thought they could do. ie Build. No further residential development is allowed there either.

A large part of the previous hold ups / cancellation of the circuit was the land and environment court. Effectively they were concerned about oil spills and fuel containment reaching the catchment area / freshwater dam. Hmm, 40,000 vehicles a day drive on the Pacific Hwy which abutts the dams periphery...

Also as rightly pointed out, the need for some sort of intersection / lights / traffic management plan and the RTA don't give two hoots about Newcastle Region. Only about themselves and to a lesser extent Sydney. Luckily they have been re-organised.

If people want action, then contact the / your local member both State and Federal and speak to councillors too.

Pushing the driver training, cycling events and lack of top fuellers will make the program more likely to get the go-ahead this time.

Retrotech thread
Old 30-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #12
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_460bigblock
I was at the original town meeting many years ago when i used to live in Raymond Terrace. Still to this day i cannot believe it was knocked back, especially when i heard they were worried about the environmental impact the track would have and concerns about the racing fuels and oils etc i was dumbfounded.... if they wanted to look at an environmental impact, i used to work at the rock quarry right next door!!! there was an environmental impact!!!

Anyway, rant off.... i hope id goes ahead tho, would do the town good and hopefully this time port stephens council pulls their heads out of their..... well, you know.... they might see the light and realise they are on a good thing here with real money potential for the community.
You beat me to the post by about 1min!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_460bigblock
If they had built this before i moved, i might not have moved considering would have been less than 10min from my house
If this was built, I wouldn't have sold my motorbike at the beginning of the year!

Retrotech thread
Old 30-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #13
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc

If wikipedia is anything to go off, within a 1.5 hour drive of the track there would be about 800,000 people.
Either way its still going to service alot of people. I really don't want to drive all the way to Sydney to visit a race track. So to have this within a 30 minute drive would be great.

There are very few house around the area. The closest house is right near the corner of the Pacific highway and Italia rd. That would not be a quite area at all to start with.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2011, 03:01 PM   #14
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As with anything these days its the vocal minority that generally stuffs things for everyone.
Old 30-11-2011, 04:07 PM   #15
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks good. don't see how anyone can complain about noise or polution with the RAAF base so close. those hornets make a hell of a noise when taking off

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #16
FPVGT500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats what i like to hear not all this environment crap that we are going experience global warming and die in 20.7848383 years, Great to hear motorsport is still kicking
FPVGT500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2011, 06:48 PM   #17
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
Looks good. don't see how anyone can complain about noise or polution with the RAAF base so close. those hornets make a hell of a noise when taking off
You should try standing next to it when its in Afterburner...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #18
natedogg1986

it was nocked back because of some tree frogs that lived where they wanted to build it. but at our last meeting at the track, tinkler has bought it. it either weay its gunna be built!!!!!

CURRENT MODS: PACEMAKER 4490's, 3 INCH HIGH FLOW CAT, F6 CAI, K&N PANEL FILTER
FUTURE MODS: CAT BACK EXHAUST, MAG WHEELS
natedogg1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2011, 07:04 PM   #19
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

OH MY GOD!....hope this is accepted. We definitely need a race track in the area. May be a 2 and a bit hour drive for me but beats going all the way to Sydney to race

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2011, 07:22 PM   #20
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Regarding the environment - that track site was not that far from the Grahamstown Reserve Dam, which is the Water Supply to most of Newcastle, and even feeds parts of Wyong Shire. The track is also awefully close to the feeder stream that pumps water from Seaham Weir - you can see it running alongside the Italia road in the map.

I, too, want to see that track go ahead, and while I didn't participate at all last time, I'd certainly like to participate in voting to have it approved this time. But I'd be reluctant to do so if there were spills into the water supply that my children drink. The last thing I'd want is to participate in a sport that turned my kids into Mutants - I don't think I could be made any more mutant myself. Anti-environmentalists can suck my pinky on that one, my kids are important to me.

I reckon if it goes ahead, I'll turn my XR8 into a track car and join some of you guys.

What I REALLY hope it gets is a drag strip - there's a ready made market for drag racing in Newcastle, and would serve to get the weekend racers off Kooragang Island and posibly even off the Newcastle foreshore.

Lukeyson

Last edited by Luke Plaizier; 30-11-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Luke Plaizier is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #21
FPVGT500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love the sound of the hornets flying past
FPVGT500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2011, 01:41 AM   #22
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedogg1986
it was nocked back because of some tree frogs that lived where they wanted to build it. but at our last meeting at the track, tinkler has bought it. it either weay its gunna be built!!!!!

Good ol Tinks.

I guess he wanted somewhere to pilot his Fezza California.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:46 AM   #23
SteveJH

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzwa

Good ol Tinks.

I guess he wanted somewhere to pilot his Fezza California.

Bit late for that unless he's ordered another already.

Doesnt he have a Porsche cup car and an FPV GT Production race car?

Current:
Old 03-12-2011, 01:47 AM   #24
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6

Oh you'd be suprised.

The muppets knowingly buy a house next door to the RAAF base and are now seeking compensation due to the noise.

They think a few Hornets are noisy, wait till the JSF (Joint Strike Fighter) arrives.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:50 AM   #25
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH

Bit late for that unless he's ordered another already.

Doesnt he have a Porsche cup car and an FPV GT Production race car?

I know he has a Porsche Cup car under the Tinkler Motorsport Group not sure about the FPV.

I have been told he owns an Aston Martin also just not sure what model.

Somehow i don't think Enzo Ferrari envisaged his cars ever being driven by someone so ummmm, rotund. Must wreak havoc with the vehicle dynamics.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:51 AM   #26
SteveJH

He raced an FPV GT (5.4L) in the Bathurst 12 Hour race this year with Steven Johnson.

I think it was written somewhere at the time that he had a Miami GT on order but it didn't arrive in time to be race prepped?

Current:
Old 03-12-2011, 01:59 AM   #27
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Hmm.... Raceway in Newcastle....

I'd be all for it when it happens