Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-08-2011, 12:50 AM   #1
RAPID_BA
Banned

Default do your mates let you drive their cars?

I have a mate who owns a ba fairmont ghia 3v 5.4, its stock as far as I know.

He turned up to a party I was at and I had my Windsor powered LTD with me. I was having a look at his car and he hands me the keys. "Take it for a drive" I said no its ok I know how they go. He looks at my LTD and says I know you have a V8 but he said the way the new v8s go, he then pulls this face, mutters something in another.language, snarls, grabs his head, you will never beleive it. Then he forces his keys into my hand.

I said hey its ok, I'm sure it goes good, I don't want to damage it. He.got all offended that I didn't drive it. I mean a 3v 5.4 goes ok but you won't be blown away by a drive.

Do you have mates that show off by asking you to drive their car so you will feel their car is superior.

RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 12:53 AM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: do your mates let you drive their cars?

Nope. Would only drive a mates car to get them out of a pickle... and only if that was the only sane option left.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 12:55 AM   #3
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nope.

All my mates are sane, they know how i drive!
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 12:57 AM   #4
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Dunno yet, but i'm sure I know theinterceptor's reply, haha...
Old 02-08-2011, 01:02 AM   #5
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

My mates are the opposite. They all want to drive my car and never really let me drive theirs unless I have to for some reason. Or when they brag about their car for ages before I'll go for a drive in them and usually I am disappointed and then laugh at them. People need to realise not every newer car is more powerful than the older ones.

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 01:05 AM   #6
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Never driven a mates car, their usually all crap.
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 01:08 AM   #7
Zero_PSI
Banned

Meh. I have about 3 or 4 mates who I let drive my car. Same guys that let me drive their cars. I don't know why, but we all just enjoy driving each others cars sometimes.

Can't say it's for bragging rights though.
Zero_PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 01:16 AM   #8
XF Falcon
[FORCED]

Don't have any mates who make me drive their car to see how fast they are.

Usually they will offer to take me for a drive in their car to show off new mods or something like that, but thats only because I'm also curious about how well it goes now. I've only let 2 people drive my car so far, and they are trusted friends/family who know how to handle a powerful car and I've always been in the car at the time with traction control on.
I've had the pleasure of driving a few friends nice cars before, and I always insist they come in the car with me and I don't feel right thrashing it - even if they give me permission to do so.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:17 AM   #9
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

between my circle of good mates we have no problems. we have a common "agreement" you bend you mend.

Funniest time was when my best mate lost his licence in my old mazda. 97 in a 60 zone. for ages he would not tell me where, until one day, he let slip..He knew that I would know what it takes to get that car up to 97 from the last intersection, within the short distance he did

For laughs, I made him change the next head gasket, whilst the rest of us watched and drank beer.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 01:27 AM   #10
John_Doe
Starter Motor

Depends on what kind of car they own.

Mates that own Datto 200Bs don't seem too fussed handing over the keys.

Mates with Porsches seem a bit more reluctant.
John_Doe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 01:37 AM   #11
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All my mates have crap cars. So doesn't worry me. I only drove a mates triton while doing shuttle runs for downhill mtb.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 01:44 AM   #12
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I will only drive their car if needed and asked of me (ie being the sober one). Other than that I do not drive people's cars as I don't like people driving mine. Not from a money or car value perspective but more so just out of respect for personal belongings (as I don't reckon there is much of that anyway).
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 01:46 AM   #13
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_PSI
Meh. I have about 3 or 4 mates who I let drive my car. Same guys that let me drive their cars. I don't know why, but we all just enjoy driving each others cars sometimes.

Can't say it's for bragging rights though.
same, we have so much respect for each other cars.

i will loan a mate my commo and i know he wont thrash it..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 02:29 AM   #14
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

All the time. Borrow them every now and then, or I may know the way to a destination and just drive instead of directing.
Sometimes we'll leave cars at each others homes for whatever reason.

I know how my mates drive so it doesnt bother me. Some I know thrash cars, but they're good mates so I let them drive anyway.
And when you drive your car with a mate interstate you can't be picky.

Ranges from crapbox runabouts to full on s/c or custom show cars.

I trust my mates, they're not going to intentionally damage my car so whats the harm?

That said though, I dont lend my brother my car and nor do I drive his, under almost any circumstance.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 07:21 AM   #15
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

As said above, I only swap car to help someone out of a pickle

Swapping cars for test drives can turn really ugly if the mate drives like a loon..
Try explaining that one to your insurance company / getting your car impounded....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 07:39 AM   #16
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you trust your mate and he is not a ******** I don't see why you wouldn't let them have a steer. It's not like your Sharing your missus or something.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 09:17 AM   #17
LTDHO
The one and only

Yeah I get to drive almost anything with te understanding they wont get the keys to the LTD handed to them.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 09:29 AM   #18
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

I grew up in a small town out in Western NSW. Amongst mates any of us drove each others cars, if you needed to go somewhere you took the last car in the driveway, the keys were always in them.

When we went to the pub we’d leave the keys in the ignition so we wouldn’t lose them.

I’m now in Sydney and much older and now don’t have many mates interested in cars. I offer to let them have a drive of anything new I might have but rarely get any takers. I’m not usually interested in theirs as they are not the type of car to excite me but if they were, I’d ask.

I asked my brother-in-law if I could go for a spin in his new M3 and he threw me the keys. I had it for 6 months while he was overseas and drove it everyday to work.

I take the simple approach. I’d say no to anyone I didn’t trust and with the rest, if they have an accident and as much as I’d rather them not, accidents do happen. I’ve had one come back with a scrape up the side and one returned as a write-off. Both paid my excess and being mates, both were forgiven.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #19
vibe_xr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My mate with the SS always makes me drive it, he also always makes me pour smoke out of the tyres without doubt
Old 02-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #20
R1XSTA
Silky Smoothe

a car is a car at the end of the day, Maybe i don't have a big power/new enough car to care.

But if i don't want to drive, i hand them the keys and they take it. My mates and I have a rule.

"if its your idea to go there, we take your car."
- 2006 Ford Territory Turbo; Silhoutte, Leather, Plazmaman CAI.
R1XSTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 09:58 AM   #21
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
If you trust your mate and he is not a ******** I don't see why you wouldn't let them have a steer. It's not like your Sharing your missus or something.
Well there's two things you never lend out, Your car or your mrs, you know how they'll come back
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #22
sexyxe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't really like driving my mates cars, not because they are rubbish, quite the opposite. I'm worried I'll break something and be up for the damages.

We all own like cars, xr8 sedan, ute, 3v ute, F6, R8 etc.

I've only let one mate drive my F6, due to necessity and because I know he only likes in gear accel from 80-120 up. I'm happy to drive them if need be, being on the turps and need a DD.
sexyxe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 10:11 AM   #23
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

All my mates have drove my car. Not through a, my car is so cool drive it and feel it. But for some reason they have had too, ie. Went to town and drank too much, or injury at soccer.

But being the "car person" in the group I always drive into town so they may offer for us to use their car in which case I end up driving it home. But mainly between me and my God Brother we drive each others cars flat out. Even leave them at each others house then go into town and in the morning will drop it back off.

It's mainly just because it's different to drive another car. Especially his WH Caprice or Range Rover Sport.
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 10:25 AM   #24
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Within your group, with guys who are used to that sort of car, no problem.

It's interesting...in the motorcycle world, guy are from two extremes...ones who just chuck thier keys at you, saying "you break it, you fix it", and others who won't even let you sit on thier bike to see what it's like.
In the bike club I used to belong to, there were riders of all ages and experience levels on literally all sorts of bikes (everyone welcome, membership approval kind of consisted of "yeah, he rides a bike...they're in... ). Some guys obviously had decades of experience, some were new. Some of the new guys thought they were gods gift, others took the quite sensible position of "I can always learn more".

My 1974 Kawasaki H2-750 two-stroke triple was a case in point of who I chose to let ride it. They weren't nicknamed "the widowmaker" for nothing. If you didn't respect and understand it, it will spank you badly. One guy I let ride was an older guy who I knew had owned triples in the 1970's so he knew what he was lettting himself in for. He threw me the keys to a brand new BMW tourer and we swapped bikes on a club ride.
My brother in law was a different kettle of fish. He was always begging me to let him go for a ride. Knowing his "skills" on a little old Suzuki GSX250, and the number of times he'd fallen off, I knew that if I let him I would end up with one wrecked bike and one dead brother in law.

With cars, I've also seen the two extremes. Some guys are positively eager for you to experience thier pride and joy, others won't let you look in the window.
One of my mates used to own an XY GT, and when we had our Cortina GT, he asked if we could swap cars, as he was keen to have a go at the "little GT"...being the same colour as his XY (Gold with black stripes), also made my Cortina look like an XY that had shrunk in the wash...
I still remember every sensation of driving that XYGT, something I know I'll probably never experience again, unless the six numbers come up in lotto.

It's all personal choice and assessing the guy who you are going to consider letting drive your wheels...if you aren't comfortable letting him drive it, don't feel bad about saying "sorry, but no".
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #25
bingoTE50
Steve

Living in the country we drove each others cars and bikes usually to go home and grab something.No big deal . Geez I loved those days . Late 70's early eighties , great times.
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #26
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaust
Well there's two things you never lend out, Your car or your mrs, you know how they'll come back
You don't want either returned smalling of burning rubber!
(too far??)
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 02:41 PM   #27
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

My close mates do…

One owns an award winning VW Beetle, other a modified BA XT and one with a 400hp VL. Never put my hand up to drive any though…Rather be a passenger.

Only other time I’ll drive a mates car is if we are doing shuttle runs for mtb, but then it’s usually a company ute.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #28
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My mates ocassionally ask me to drive their cars if there's a reason e.g. they're out of town and had it booked in for some work etc.

When I had my EF XR6, I once lent it to my brother who took his then girlfriend (now wife) out in it. The next week people kept coming up to me and commenting on the race against a VH Commodore SS that I had had? The XR6 won but I had some really stern words with my brother

These days he keeps trying to get me to drive his worked 2004 Monaro while he's away working up at the mines, and while I don't mind giving the thing the odd squirt now-and-then, I find it attracts the wrong kind of attention.

The funniest people to lend your cars to are your parents - my mum would always complain that my XR6 would spin the tyres when she took off from the lights and my dad noted that when he drove the Monaro everyone was trying to race him.

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 03:05 PM   #29
Mr Scheme
I need Fuel!

Im always driving my friends cars. Generally if i cant afford to fix it i will say no to driving it but Im usually the one who helps them work on theyre cars anyway.
Prefer to drive with them in the car as I can judge how far theyre happy for me to push it
I let them drive my cars often enough but they say no regularly because of how much of my own time i put into even the shittiest of my cars
Taurus Limited 2013
Mr Scheme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 03:06 PM   #30
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliman
The funniest people to lend your cars to are your parents - my mum would always complain that my XR6 would spin the tyres when she took off from the lights and my dad noted that when he drove the Monaro everyone was trying to race him.
Reminds me of the time I was away and my brother and mum took my 351 XE into town (75-80km each way) without me knowing. At the time it was running 2.5inch side pipes exiting before the 275 rears. My brother was only on his L's at the time and drove it to work. From there mum drove it into town and said she parked around the back street near a church so the police wouldnt see her. When she came back a bit later after shopping she found the car surrounded by police cars because there was a police funeral service on at the church. I can just picture her getting in the car and putting down the road as they all watched.

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post