Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-07-2011, 09:35 PM   #1
mytgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Councils should they be held responsable!

In my street there is alot of road damage,been on to the council to fix them for over six months now! Well as I was coming home from work (in the dark) I here this big clunk on the car! So when I get back to my house I break out a torch & have a good look around the car! Can`t seem to find any damage, So the next day I`m washing it & find this!

The underneath of my XR8 has got a great hulking hole in the side skirt! Not Bloody happy Jane! The damage is over $1700 bucks, The council said they will see if they are at fault or not! Has anyone had this problem before & how did they go for getting their Excess back!

Old 19-07-2011, 09:39 PM   #2
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Councils should they be held responsable!

YOu best find the hole you fell into!
That is an awfully large amount of damage to the side of the car and yet underneath seems fine?
Large rock on the road?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2011, 09:53 PM   #3
mytgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
YOu best find the hole you fell into!
That is an awfully large amount of damage to the side of the car and yet underneath seems fine?
Large rock on the road?
No that is the underneath of the car & yes it was a chunk of tar 100mm think slung up from the road!

Old 19-07-2011, 10:03 PM   #4
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dunno what its like where you are, but councils here are "supposedly" held liable if damage occurs to car "if" the pothole has been reported and it falls outside a 48hr period since it was reported.

Old 19-07-2011, 10:06 PM   #5
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats a shocking road. but yes I think in most councils it has to be proven that the council knew about it for more than 48 hours and did nothing about it.

You could report it now and say it happened in 2 days time and hope the dont fix it.

But I guess they will say "thats why you have insurance"
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2011, 10:13 PM   #6
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: Councils should they be held responsable!

Hi all some 15 years back I hit an open manhole cover in my XD
well I went to the council and told them
and was advised to write a "letter of demand"
and explain the problem
which I did
and I got a letter back asking for a quote
one of my mags had a chunck out of it
anyway I got a quote for a second hand factory mag
and a new tyre and received a check for $100
but had to sign a waver saying I would not
hold the council liable for any further damages
thanks John

Never trust a dog to hold a sandwich for you
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #7
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes i would push for damages from the council....talk to your insurance company too, see what everyones responce is.

Old 19-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #8
Cúl-Báire

It’s a case of pursue the council yourself, or if you let insurance do it they will chase them down for the money (and possibly your excess) anyways... My future father in-law had a similar problem in his BA GTP not long ago, and the council paid up.
Cúl-Báire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2011, 10:29 PM   #9
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Hi Paul. That is some serious damage there mate. Sorry to see that :(
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #10
mytgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
Hi Paul. That is some serious damage there mate. Sorry to see that :(
Yer George just another thing to take my mind off what I really need to be thinking about! LOL.
Old 19-07-2011, 10:35 PM   #11
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

That is horrid damage and a disgrace of a road.

If your car is lowered then raise it to standard ASAP...just another thing for them to weasel out of.

I regularly travel on a country road and there is a far hole right in the middle of a sweeper and its only a matter of time until rim is damaged etc, you cant avoid it as its right on line.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2011, 10:39 PM   #12
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Man that is some serious damage, definately try and chase the council up for that one.

Now im going to bet it was somewhere in Lake Macquarie council. Seriously I reckon they have just about the worst roads in Australia.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2011, 10:46 PM   #13
mytgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
That is horrid damage and a disgrace of a road.

If your car is lowered then raise it to standard ASAP...just another thing for them to weasel out of.

I regularly travel on a country road and there is a far hole right in the middle of a sweeper and its only a matter of time until rim is damaged etc, you cant avoid it as its right on line.
That what gives me the **its it is at std height!
Old 19-07-2011, 10:46 PM   #14
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry to see that much damage to your pride and joy. Which road did the damage actually take place?
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2011, 11:02 PM   #15
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This happened to my Mate the other week . He was driving his missus peugots 307 and he hit a pot hole/crater and the side impact airbags went off the car looks like it will be a write off and i belive the insurance company is chasing the council for the costs
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2011, 11:05 PM   #16
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy
This happened to my Mate the other week . He was driving his missus peugots 307 and he hit a pot hole/crater and the side impact airbags went off the car looks like it will be a write off and i belive the insurance company is chasing the council for the costs
Jesus thats a fair shunt, or an over sensitive sensor! I hope the council coughs up.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2011, 11:16 PM   #17
mytgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy
Thank god my airbag didn`t go off, otherwise there would be another explosion that you would here down geelong that would be me going off my head more than I already have! The funny thing is all the roads round the councilours houses are fine!
Old 20-07-2011, 12:33 AM   #18
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Hopefully one day the tax structures of this country will allow councils to fix the roads...
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2011, 02:42 AM   #19
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

with the damage the under body has sustained you could also say that there was/is also a possibility you or someone could blow tyre after hitting that, and have an accident, if there`s any decency/duty of care by the council they should pay for the damage and fix the dam road you would hope.
best of luck
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #20
xr8lover

I recently had a claim for 3 mags on my xr8 knocked back from Vicroads, damaged from severe potholes. What a bunch of jerk offs they are!. After a wait of 6months I get a letter stating they are not at fault, take us to court they tell me.Damage bill was $2900.
xr8lover is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #21
KuRT12

Councils are ****,

i live on a dirt road and currently its in such a bad state i am unable to leave the house in my SV6
KuRT12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2011, 10:01 AM   #22
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Mate, the council is completely liable. What you need to do is write a letter of demand, attach a quotation of the repairs as well as some photographs as per this thread. Give them 48 hours to contact you and then discuss very calmly with them that the damage occurred on their road in a pothole that has obviously been repaired before (note the darker bitumen) but not to an acceptable standard. When they try to fob you off, then calmly say to them; "Alright, of course I will be pursuing this matter much further with legal counsel..... What was your name, can you spell that for me please..... Thankyou very much for your time".
Usually at this point, the junior clerk who contacted you pretending to be a manager is now bricking it because you have their full name, and worried about it being referred back to them in the future. Within another 24 hours someone else will most likely contact you, and then offer to settle. In my previous employ I personally did this around 40-50 times and the one thing I learnt from the experience was, people in the council hate when their name is attached to anything that has the potential to get them in trouble.

Quote: