Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-06-2011, 11:56 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question BMW To Move Away from Cars

It's the people-powered change from cars to SUVs at BMW.

The German brand re-wrote its rules, and changed the game for other prestige brands up to and including Porsche, when it introduced the X5 and now - with four X models in the range and more to come - it's forecasting a switch to SUV power in the not-too-distant future.

"I could see a time when SUVs account for 50 per cent of BMW sales. But we're talking a five-year horizon," admits the new managing director of BMW Group Australia, Phil Horton. He says runaway demand for the X5 and the latest X3, as well as the success of the controversial X6 coupe, is driving extra development in the SUV class.

"We've got a couple of things in the winds that we're not talking about. For BMW, in the far pipeline, there is more," he says. He refuses to confirm anything smaller than today's X1, although there is solid speculation in Europe that SUVs will be developed in the 1 Series family and also in BMW's electric-powered i range.

"There is no identified X model that will sit below X1 in the next five years," says, neatly sidestepping the question by putting a tight timeframe on the move. Horton also denies that the X-power change at BMW is diluting the company's key selling point, its driver-focussed enjoyment. "The X5 is the perfect encapsulation of the Ultimate Driving Machine. We're building them to be the best driving machines in the class," he says.

While BMW is developing more on the X front, the company is also considering a name change for its coupes and convertibles. Instead of staying with the 1-3-5-7 series it has used in the past, Horton admits there could be future models that use the even numbers pioneered on the Z4 roadster.

"The company is actively considering a nomenclature change,"he says. "It's all to do with the Chinese. They like the number four, apparently. "There are not a lot of numbers left for the proliferation of models that are likely to appear. There is active consideration of using the even numbers that we currently use. That would be two and four.

My comment..Ford need to get Fiesta/Focus/Kuga SUV's here, asap!! or be left behind, as usual...

Old 29-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile Re: BMW To Move Away from Cars

An SUV is still a car isn't it?

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
PHANTMXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
xr6turboford

Default Re: BMW To Move Away from Cars

Taken from Wikipedia

An automobile, autocar, motor car or car is a wheeled motor vehicle used for transporting passengers, which also carries its own engine or motor. Most definitions of the term specify that automobiles are designed to run primarily on roads, to have seating for one to eight people, to typically have four wheels, and to be constructed principally for the transport of people rather than goods.[3]

The term motorcar has also been used in the context of electrified rail systems to denote a car which functions as a small locomotive but also provides space for passengers and baggage. These locomotive cars were often used on suburban routes by both interurban and intercity railroad systems.[4]

There are approximately 600 million passenger cars worldwide (roughly one car per eleven people).[5][6] Around the world, there were about 806 million cars and light trucks on the road in 2007; they burn over a billion cubic meters (260 billion US gallons) of petrol/gasoline and diesel fuel yearly. The numbers are increasing rapidly, especially in China and India.[7]

So yes a SUV is still a car.
xr6turboford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2011, 12:52 PM   #4
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And he is the MD of BMW Australia which means he has no input whatsoever into BMW's future lineup plans. Sounds like he has been blowing his own trumpet........
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

BMW already have a SUV that is smaller than the X1, its called the Mini Countryman.
Old 29-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Horton also denies that the X-power change at BMW is diluting the company's key selling point, its driver-focussed enjoyment. "The X5 is the perfect encapsulation of the Ultimate Driving Machine. We're building them to be the best driving machines in the class," he says.

While BMW is developing more on the X front, the company is also considering a name change for its coupes and convertibles. Instead of staying with the 1-3-5-7 series it has used in the past, Horton admits there could be future models that use the even numbers pioneered on the Z4 roadster.

"The company is actively considering a nomenclature change,"he says. "It's all to do with the Chinese. They like the number four, apparently. "There are not a lot of numbers left for the proliferation of models that are likely to appear. There is active consideration of using the even numbers that we currently use. That would be two and four.

That was my first thought. BMW always go on about having great drivers cars. But SUV's are not great drivers cars. Yes the X5 My be the best handling in it's class, but it doesn't compared to a small coupe.

Apparently they have a FWD in the pipeline as well. Also which goes again the above point.

Lastly on the topic of even numbers, BRING BACK THE 8 SERIES.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2011, 02:01 PM   #7
falcon convert

"Yes the X5 My be the best handling in it's class,"

Correction........according to Wheels Magazine the X5 is NOT the best handling in its class. That honour belongs to the FORD TERRITORY
falcon convert is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #8
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

I've looked at a few X5s, E53s and E70s. Very nice car or SUV. For an American made vehicle, it could be a little cheaper on our shores.
Old 29-06-2011, 05:21 PM   #9
sprint347dave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the x6 looks Horrendous
sprint347dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2011, 06:41 PM   #10
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
"It's all to do with the Chinese. They like the number four, apparently.
This is rubbish. Chinese people do not like the number four. It signifies death and bad luck. Chinese people like the number eight as it is associated with prosperity and wealth. This guy needs to do more research perhaps.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2011, 02:15 AM   #11
Bobman
Regulator

Lol. BMW will keep on keeping on with the 3 and 5 series - both of which seem to sell well and are always in demand.

Don't think the sedans will stop production anytime soon!

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #12
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTMXR6
An SUV is still a car isn't it?
yes, that's why i though this was about motorbikes
Old 01-07-2011, 05:18 PM   #13
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
yes, that's why i though this was about motorbikes

Glad I am not the only one, that was my first thought too.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:27 PM   #14
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Glad I am not the only one, that was my first thought too.
Same here. They have a great range of bikes.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #15
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Same here. They have a great range of bikes.
Oohhh yeah

I have always been into the sport bikes but I have a good mate that was into the BMW's. He tried the HD thing (hated it as it was alway leaking oil), tried the Honda ST1300 (liked it but said it was missing something) and now he is back on the BMW K series. I have ridden all of them and the current BMW is by far the nicest. I could definitely see myself getting one if I ever get back on the bike.