Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Australian cars

Seeing the latest Mazda advert for their new ute, they show it driving around outback australia with catchphrases like 'built for australian conditions'. they stay on the 'australian' message right to the end. only missing the 'australian made' (because they can't lie).

i was thinking the "buy australian" message is being used by foreign companies like Mazda, so it's obviously still a useful message. why doesn't Ford make patriotic adverts for their (actually) Australian Made cars?

Old 09-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Default Re: Australian cars

Because Ford suck at selling things.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
ZING - quote of the week for me!!!!
Old 09-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #4
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
i was thinking the "buy australian" message is being used by foreign companies like Mazda, so it's obviously still a useful message. why doesn't Ford make patriotic adverts for their (actually) Australian Made cars?
Because they would have to be very careful as to what was said, and run the risk of major humiliation and probably some fines, if their locally made cars do not fit the "interpretation" of australian made product. The following interpretations are used by the organisation that hands out the "australian made" logo.

Quote:
Australian Made
The product is substantially transformed in Australia and at least 50 per cent of the cost of production has been incurred in Australia.
The key point here, is that you may have a Falcon going for $34000, but you have to wipe out on road costs (approx $5000), and you have to wipe out R&D and depreciation etc (probably $7000 per car), to get a real car cost of car production. ie probably in the low to mid $20's. Then you need to work out if $13,000 of the Falcon was actually produced in Australia. 1800 workers making 2500 cars a month, only equates to about $3600 of Ford labour into the car, maybe double that for Ford supplier australian employees, and you get $7200. Add in material costs etc, and you would probably make the 50% mark with the Falcon, commodore and Territory.

But just look at every cruze ad you see, you dont see "australian made" written up, you see australian built, ie we cant call it australian made becasue 50% of it is not produced in australia.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

The Cruze is constantly marketed as 'Australia's own small car', and manages to sell well, even though it's a third-rate Daewoo whose styling seems inspired by a squashed crab and the Chrysler Sebring. How come the Territory isn't marketed as Australia's own SUV?
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #6
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaneman
The Cruze is constantly marketed as 'Australia's own small car', and manages to sell well
Sell well, but to whom? Holden dealers? Government fleets? It's been suggested that Holden dealers have quite a large number of licensed, plated brand new cars on their lots, and we know that VFacts obtains its 'sales' data from new vehicle registrations...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 09-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #7
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Sell well, but to whom? Holden dealers? Government fleets? It's been suggested that Holden dealers have quite a large number of licensed, plated brand new cars on their lots, and we know that VFacts obtains its 'sales' data from new vehicle registrations...
Didn't know that. That's so dishonest.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #8
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Didn't know that. That's so dishonest.
I'm not saying it's true...but just some food for thought that's all.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #9
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Ford does exactly the same thing.
I have lost count of the number of times I have seen large Ford Dealer ads in the paper saying "Demo sale... registered but never driven....30 to choose from."
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #10
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No - Ford suck at Marketing things, some of us on the showroom floor aren't too bad at selling them though :P
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 04:38 PM   #11
ray38l

Quote:
and who suggested it? Someone who is on this forum that come up with a theory to explain why holden's are selling more, doesn't seem very credible.
For it to work holden would have to be registering hundreds of unsold cars every month for such a small gain. Sounds good as a conspiracy theory until you think about it.
ray38l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #12
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Weren't there rumours last year that Ford were going to use a new slogan. True Blue or something like that?
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 04:52 PM   #13
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
Weren't there rumours last year that Ford were going to use a new slogan. True Blue or something like that?
True Blue? That would be too logical
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #14
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
They still sell them in the end...

Its not like they have 4 million Holden Commodores sitting in the Australian Desert with number plates on them just so they can get sales figures up!! Lol. They all do it, as part of their Franchise agreesments dealers must put on Demo cars 1) for demo purposes, 2) for staff to drive and 3) bonus rebates.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 04:55 PM   #15
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

As I said earlier, I'm not saying it's the gospel...its worth raising though in the context of what is sold to who, which we will never really know.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:26 PM   #16
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
They still sell them in the end...

Its not like they have 4 million Holden Commodores sitting in the Australian Desert with number plates on them just so they can get sales figures up!! Lol. They all do it, as part of their Franchise agreesments dealers must put on Demo cars 1) for demo purposes, 2) for staff to drive and 3) bonus rebates.

Its true, they have to sell them in the end, and I am guessing the practice is used to boost or smooth out sales in the short to medium term. For example, if Holden were going to have a 2500 commodore month, then the general public would think the car is one its way out (probably what is plagueing the Falcon right now). Throw an extra 1000 cars at the dealer network (with $900 each to rego them), and the cost is $900,000 to them. Lose the biggest selling car status for the month, and the advertising required (or negative publicity) to get everything back up is probably more than $900,000.

And dare I say, Holden write some pretty stupid contracts when they outsource stuff. Some suppliers have them over a barrel when it comes to production quantities. If Holden dont take them, they still have to pay for them.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #17
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Quote:
bazinga!!!
Old 09-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #18
stang65
FPRJET

Hey guys careful, this is a Ford Forum you don`t want to get the closet Holden supporters upset. it makes me laugh everytime I see some of these guys go off their rocket as soon as you say something about Holden.

If only Ford had such loyalty.......
stang65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 05:43 PM   #19
ray38l

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
And dare I say, Holden write some pretty stupid contracts when they outsource stuff. Some suppliers have them over a barrel when it comes to production quantities. If Holden dont take them, they still have to pay for them.
so do you have proof to back up that statement? Are you a supplier? Or did you hear it from a friend of a friend that just knows this kind of stuff?
ray38l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #20
Rastus
XY,XC,XEx2,XA,EF,AU,BA,XY

Quote:
The Cruze is constantly marketed as 'Australia's own small car', and manages to sell well, even though it's a third-rate Daewoo whose styling seems inspired by a squashed crab and the Chrysler Sebring. How come the Territory isn't marketed as Australia's own SUV?
My thoughts exactly! I hope Ford go down this path when they start advertising the new Terri.
On a positive note, I've heard some radio adds pushing the "Australian Designed & Engineered" New Ford Ranger. I hope this ramps up on both radio & television when it comes online also.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:20 PM   #21
Supercharged

Quote:
Spot on, well said.
Supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #22
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged
Spot on, well said.
I'll agree with that!

Holden infests the TV with adverts for the Commodore...how far it gets on a tank, new engines, features, special offers...but I honestly can't remember the last "official" Ford Falcon TV advert I saw, apart from some local dealers showing special deals. Certainly no big bucks ad campaigns like Holden apparently doesn't shy away from.

Ford is very good at the TV adverts for Fiesta, Focus, and other small Fords...but where are the creative and entertaining Falcon adverts??
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #23
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray38l
so do you have proof to back up that statement? Are you a supplier? Or did you hear it from a friend of a friend that just knows this kind of stuff?
You'll have to let me know which one. The Hirotec one cost them about $50 million. Hirotec set up a greenfields site, with some pretty expensive equipment in place, on the basis of 120,000 cars being made from Holden. In a couple of years those numbers had dropped to less than 50,000. Its very hard to sell car body panels to other car manufacturers in northern adelaide, if Holden dont take them, and just because you go from 120 to 50 thousand cars a year, doesnt mean the interest on the presses and the rent on the buidling drops in half.

Quote:
Company
Greenfields or expansion of existing site
Contract won from
Air International
Increased to 380
Expansion
Seating contract for GM Holden
Plexicor
Greenfield
Carpet contract for GM Holden from Air International
Viscount
Greenfield
Plastic moulding bumpers to GM Holden from DMG
Noble Metals
Greenfield
Pressings to GM Holden (outsourced from GM Holden)
Hirotec
Greenfield
Doors, bonnets and boot lids to GM Holden
Johnson Controls
Greenfield
Interior parts maker to GM Holden (following closure of Melbourne site)
ZM Lemforder
150-200
Greenfield
Suspension assembles/axles to GM Holden
Cubic Pacific
Greenfield
PBR
Expansion
Brakes components to Mitsubishi
Siemens VDO
Expansion
Joint venture with Mitsubishi
Fibrelogic
Expansion
Fibreglass pipes
AI Automotive
Expansion
Pressings to GM Holden (outsourced from GM Holden)
Old 09-06-2011, 07:23 PM   #24
Marquis 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have to agree! If i was to buy a car on with either tv or papers or magazins as advertising media alone..... I would buy a holden.... or anything other than a Ford!!!!!!
Marquis 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #25
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
Its true, they have to sell them in the end, and I am guessing the practice is used to boost or smooth out sales in the short to medium term. For example, if Holden were going to have a 2500 commodore month, then the general public would think the car is one its way out (probably what is plagueing the Falcon right now). Throw an extra 1000 cars at the dealer network (with $900 each to rego them), and the cost is $900,000 to them. Lose the biggest selling car status for the month, and the advertising required (or negative publicity) to get everything back up is probably more than $900,000.
agreed, they prop up the sales on the slower months to 'buy' their no.1 status, which in turn instills confidence in the buying public, which helps with sales, which helps with their no.1 status.

people like to buy things which are popular, as it looks like they are buying a reliable product. its not just with cars.

as for the topic, ford could incorporate an 'australian' theme to their ads but they seem to like to do things a bit different.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 10:31 PM   #26
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The fingers ad used Australian fingers in a commercial approved by an American CEO and made by people who didn't like cars.

Its all a very democratic process at Ford, where the car isn't the main focus anymore, nor the customer, but rather can the American born Ford Australia President not completely screw up and make his two years in Australia, before getting the hell of out here still as a Ford employee? Thats the real goal of Ford Australia now.

At Holden they are still hung up on the concept of selling cars, which is all so very 1980's by Ford standards.

Last edited by DanielXR8; 09-06-2011 at 10:36 PM.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2011, 03:09 AM   #27
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8
At Holden they are still hung up on the concept of selling cars, which is all so very 1980's by Ford standards.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:27 AM   #28
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
agreed, they prop up the sales on the slower months to 'buy' their no.1 status, which in turn instills confidence in the buying public, which helps with sales, which helps with their no.1 status.

people like to buy things which are popular, as it looks like they are buying a reliable product. its not just with cars.

as for the topic, ford could incorporate an 'australian' theme to their ads but they seem to like to do things a bit different.
If I was the ad agency responsible for the Ford Falcon, I would make the commercial highlight in this order; 1. nostalgia/history, do a quick overview of past generations and their Falcons, I would show the emotional connection with families and their cars (10 seconds); 2. Australian designed and made (5 seconds); 3. driving experience of a new Falcon. (14 seconds).
I don't know if that's what they are already doing or not, but that's how I would do the commercial.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2011, 05:04 AM   #29
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
If I was the ad agency responsible for the Ford Falcon, I would make the commercial highlight in this order; 1. nostalgia/history, do a quick overview of past generations and their Falcons, I would show the emotional connection with families and their cars (10 seconds); 2. Australian designed and made (5 seconds); 3. driving experience of a new Falcon. (14 seconds).
I don't know if that's what they are already doing or not, but that's how I would do the commercial.
They sure aren't doing that at the damn moment...the best "history" advert I can remember from recent years was the excellent one of the Holden ute morphing into the various models from 48-215 to the new SS utes. Now that's how you grab the audience by the eyeballs and get them talking.

You'd think they'd make a slightly bigger deal of the fact that they have been making the one model of car for fifty years now. The old Kingswood name plate was loved to death by Australians, young and old, yet it only lasted for what, maybe a bit over ten years? Commodore is also well known, but it's only been around a bit over thirty now. Ford has stuck with the Falcon badge for half a century, but looking at thier advertising (or lack thereof...) they almost seem a little embarassed by the fact. Even in car yards there will be one or two hero cars out the front somewhere...an XR6 or two, maybe an FPV if they have one...but the yard will be full of Fiestas, Focus's, and Mondeos. You've sometimes got to actively go looking for the Falcons.
When we bought our Falcon, we had every intention of just buying an XR6, but they had just taken delivery of two 50th Anniversary ones, a G6 and a G6E, which caught our eye, hidden away behind a couple of rows of Mondeos and a batch of Focus's. It's not like they had them sitting proudly on stands so people could see them.

I personally hate with a passion conspiracy thoeries, but you sometimes get the impression that they are keeping the Falcon a bit quiet so when it's replaced by something else in the near future, the only big whinge will be from a minority of enthusiasts and the odd small "end of an era" type news item hidden in the papers.

Consumers are a lot more savvy nowadays than the used to be, and it's no good for a manufacturer to just rely on word of mouth, repeat business, or "daddy had one so I'm going to buy one too"...you have to slap the buyer in the face with features and styling that blows the opposition out of the water, and make damn sure they see it repeatedly in the magazines and TV. And by "magazines" I mean all types of magazines...it;s no good advertising in a motoring magazine...the readers of those already are car enthusiasts for the most part. It's no good preaching to the converted, you have to give the buyer a reason to walk past the excellent offerings from foreign makers and come to your dealership to lay down a large sum on an Australian car.

Sad to say, Holden does that well with the Commodore...Ford not at all with the Falcon...

Last edited by 2011G6E; 10-06-2011 at 05:13 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #30
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
I honestly can't remember the last "official" Ford Falcon TV advert I saw,
At the moment the official campaign is 'you buy a car with your Heart and your Head'.
i've seen them a few times, they even featured a falcon in one!