Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-05-2011, 11:34 PM   #1
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Changes to NSW Demerits Points Scheme

I hope this hasn't been covered in a thread before (couldn't find it in search) but I'm intrigued by some of the changes that the previous NSW government made to the demerits scheme, specifically reducing the points lost for significant road behaviours we'd want to discourage, like not keeping left unless overtaking (reduced from 3 to 2 points).

The list is on the RTA website

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregul...nts/index.html

Anyone know the daft reasoning behind these changes except that they went past some review board?

(Of course, the points for "speeding" - i.e. exceeding the posted limit regardless of whether safe or not - remain unchanged.)

new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2011, 11:37 PM   #2
Paxton
Cobblers!

Default Re: Changes to NSW Demerits Points Scheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
I hope this hasn't been covered in a thread before (couldn't find it in search) but I'm intrigued by some of the changes that the previous NSW government made to the demerits scheme, specifically reducing the points lost for road behaviours we'd want to discourage, like not keeping left unless overtaking (reduced from 3 to 2 points).

Anyone know the daft reasoning behind these changes except that they went past some review board?
It was basically a sweetener to try and buy votes from the American woman, and justify the stupid speed camera Territories. These all changed when the Demerit Point threshold was increased from twelve to thirteen.

Expect some big changes inside the RTA in the coming months. There are some changes afoot, many of which have been needed for a long time.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2011, 11:39 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton

Expect some big changes inside the RTA in the coming months. There are some changes afoot, many of which have been needed for a long time.
I ordered new numberplates last week and they arrived today. This scared me as it is within the bounds of acceptable customer service and I'm not used to that from the RTA.
Old 31-05-2011, 11:42 PM   #4
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
I ordered new numberplates last week and they arrived today. This scared me as it is within the bounds of acceptable customer service and I'm not used to that from the RTA.
Possibly because Number Plates have been outsourced to another company. The RTA couldn't possibly have delivered them that efficiently. The RTA wouldn't have started thinking about ordering the paint for those plates without orders signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public inquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters.

The head of the RTA is about to discover what the inside of a Centrelink is like. As are a few of his minions.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2011, 12:48 AM   #5
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
specifically reducing the points lost for significant road behaviours we'd want to discourage, like not keeping left unless overtaking (reduced from 3 to 2 points).
Don't see the point of that one. I've *never* seen that law enforced.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2011, 02:51 AM   #6
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
I hope this hasn't been covered in a thread before (couldn't find it in search) but I'm intrigued by some of the changes that the previous NSW government made to the demerits scheme, specifically reducing the points lost for significant road behaviours we'd want to discourage, like not keeping left unless overtaking (reduced from 3 to 2 points).

(Of course, the points for "speeding" - i.e. exceeding the posted limit regardless of whether safe or not - remain unchanged.)
your worth more revenue on the road, "not off it"..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #7
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The head of the RTA is about to discover what the inside of a Centrelink is like. As are a few of his minions.
i'm sure centerlink can teach them a few things about efficiency
Old 01-06-2011, 04:55 PM   #8
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Because speeding is the ONLY dangerous thing on the road. We all should know that by now.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #9
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Possibly because Number Plates have been outsourced to another company. The RTA couldn't possibly have delivered them that efficiently. The RTA wouldn't have started thinking about ordering the paint for those plates without orders signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public inquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters.

that would explain why its now $110 to order plates instead of the old $30!

Also call me a cynical but by lowering the demerit points, they (evil people) can get more value out of every motorist. Making your 12 points go further and getting more dollars out of you in the process. You are no use to these agencies if you have "lost" your license.

Last edited by kypez; 01-06-2011 at 05:22 PM.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2011, 10:04 PM   #10
FgNewbie
Australia

I thought driving standards had improved
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2011, 01:02 AM   #11
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez
that would explain why its now $110 to order plates instead of the old $30!

Also call me a cynical but by lowering the demerit points, they (evil people) can get more value out of every motorist. Making your 12 points go further and getting more dollars out of you in the process. You are no use to these agencies if you have "lost" your license.

True that.

I hear we are getting 13 points soon, while 'professional' drivers will have 14.
Lowering demerit points will increase the number we can receive is a great way to make extra money.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #12
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
I hear we are getting 13 points soon, while 'professional' drivers will have 14.
That is already in force. "Professional" drivers should not be driving in such a way that they get demerit points anyway. It seems to be just a way of rewarding bad behaviour. As is the reduction of some behaviours (relating to roundabouts, signalling and public transport lanes) to zero points. That basically sends a message that those bad behaviours are quite OK.

Not that the police enforce them anyway, too busy concentrating on "speeding".

Letters page of the latest "Wheels" is worth a read. Some unfortunate highway patrolman wrote a letter peddling the official line. You should read the replies this month, some of them are very good!
Old 02-06-2011, 01:19 PM   #13
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Letters page of the latest "Wheels" is worth a read. Some unfortunate highway patrolman wrote a letter peddling the official line. You should read the replies this month, some of them are very good!

I saw that. It was great to see so many replies to that idiot.
I'm sure there were many more that could not be printed.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:21 PM   #14
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
"Professional" drivers should not be driving in such a way that they get demerit points anyway.
you obviously have never been a professional driver or you wouldn't make a comment like that we spend much more time on the road se really we get far less points per kilometer traveled. points are an occupational hazard that are hard to completly avoid
you may travel 5 to 10 000Ks a year where I may travel 60 to 70 000Ks a year so for you to loose say 10 points over 3 years would require no more than 30 000Ks wher I would travel up to 210 000 Ks to get the same points in trying conditions with moronic car drivers cutting you off or diving in front of you at the last minute at the lights expecting you to pull up like a car try it some time you might change your tune

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2011, 11:38 PM   #15
FgNewbie
Australia

Quote:
... "Professional" drivers should not be driving in such a way that they get demerit points anyway. It seems to be just a way of rewarding bad behaviour. ...
Comments like that remind me of an accident looking for somewhere to happen.

Why specify professional drivers? No one should be driving illegally.

As commented by au3xr6, it is relative to distances travelled. As such I believe the point system is disproportionate for genuine professional drivers. Some of them are human too.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:58 AM   #16
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
The RTA wouldn't have started thinking about ordering the paint for those plates without orders signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public inquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters.
So the RTA are ran by Vogons then?

I'll make sure if I ever go into a NSW RTA office to never let any of their staff read any poetry to me.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 01:12 AM   #17
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FgNewbie
Why specify professional drivers? No one should be driving illegally.

As commented by au3xr6, it is relative to distances travelled. As such I believe the point system is disproportionate for genuine professional drivers. Some of them are human too.
I didn't specify professional drivers, the NSW Government did - by way of indulgence. I found au3xr6's comment profoundly disturbing. I'm sure airline pilots, locomotive enginemen and master mariners would love to have their little breaches set aside by their regulating authorities on the basis that they are human too. Fortunately for us they have higher standards than the politically-indulged, free-and-easy road transport industry.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:27 AM   #18
FgNewbie
Australia

Quote:
That is already in force. "Professional" drivers should not be driving in such a way that they get demerit points anyway. It seems to be just a way of rewarding bad behaviour. As is the reduction of some behaviours (relating to roundabouts, signalling and public transport lanes) to zero points. That basically sends a message that those bad behaviours are quite OK.

Not that the police enforce them anyway, too busy concentrating on "speeding".

Stand by what you type, don't blame the Gov't.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:46 AM   #19
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FgNewbie
Stand by what you type, don't blame the Gov't.
That's exactly what I'm doing, I said the government raised the issue first. I think the vast majority of professional drivers would have no need of being singled out for special privilege. The previous government in doing so has introduced a slip in standards that it would not apply to other transport industries. That's a double standard.

For the record I much prefer to share the road with trucks any day compared with some of the alarming amateur drivers around - who are the ones who should be collecting the points.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:17 AM   #20
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Fortunately for us they have higher standards than the politically-indulged, free-and-easy road transport industry.

Someone's been watching too many episodes of ACA!