Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
BFYOOT

Default Any news on FG2?

Sorry to bring this up again but have been out of the loop for a while now. Has there been any news on release of the FG2 recently? Last I heard release was more likely to be end of year, is this still pretty accurate? Any news on changes, or we still looking predominantly at the changes seen on the Terry?

BFYOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2011, 12:43 PM   #2
Paxton
Cobblers!

Default Re: Any news on FG2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFYOOT
Sorry to bring this up again but have been out of the loop for a while now. Has there been any news on release of the FG2 recently? Last I heard release was more likely to be end of year, is this still pretty accurate? Any news on changes, or we still looking predominantly at the changes seen on the Terry?
Yep. Still on track.

Mules will be out and about soonish.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
BFYOOT

Nice, hope so. Cant wait.
Old 20-05-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

People have seen bra-clad Falcons running around You Yangs recently.

September/October is supposed to be the reveal date??

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
blk6t

I wonder how many people will actually purchase a new FG2?

Ford NEED to market the car heavily...alot of people on the forums appear to be holding our for the FG2 and updated FPV range. I hope these people follow through and help the sales numbers.
Old 20-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #6
BFYOOT

I have extended the lease on my current xr8 ute holding out for the upgrade. If the upgrade is decent, I will be looking at a new one for sure.
Old 20-05-2011, 02:13 PM   #7
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Will be interesting to see...
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

I think there was an interview at an autoshow with one of the designers that implied the Falcon would get the new corporate front end treatment, kind of like they did with Territory. That plus the Territory touch screen, EPAS, maybe some new wheels & perhaps a different tail light jewel. That's what I'm expecting.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2011, 02:22 PM   #9
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Will be interesting to see...
Yes it will be interesting to see the extent of the "update" and whether it will simply be a minor visual and technical facelift a-la BA to BF or something more substantial. You'd have to be pretty safe in assuming it should pick up all of the SZ Territory's new features though...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 20-05-2011, 04:33 PM   #10
G6E TURBO 270KW

NO EPAS for FG2
G6E TURBO 270KW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2011, 05:51 PM   #11
SS_01
Erebus Motorsport Fan

excuse my ignorance, what is EPAS? also, is ford showing the FG2 at the International Melbourne Motorshow?
Old 20-05-2011, 06:04 PM   #12
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

Can't wait to see what I can get for my car come fg2 ;) lol
Old 20-05-2011, 06:06 PM   #13
zebby

Lets hope the launch and release is not as farcical as the updated Territory !!!
zebby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2011, 06:39 PM   #14
383 GXL
Starter Motor

Exclamation Re: Any news on FG2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk6t

Ford NEED to market the car heavily...alot of people on the forums appear to be holding our for the FG2 and updated FPV range. I hope these people follow through and help the sales numbers.
they will still be dreaming of the fg 3

Last edited by 383 GXL; 20-05-2011 at 06:50 PM.
383 GXL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2011, 07:23 PM   #15
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:

Ive got my eye on an FG2 XR6 or G6/E on LiLPG. Can't keep shelling out $85 a week on petrol. Will wait to see what happens with the LPG excise first tho.
Old 20-05-2011, 07:53 PM   #16
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW_060606
excuse my ignorance, what is EPAS? also, is ford showing the FG2 at the International Melbourne Motorshow?
Electric power assisted steering, like on the new Territory. Doesn't rely on the engine to run a pump so therefore saves fuel. Heard on here somewhere that it wont be going into the FG2 due to space constraints (also the post by G6E TURBO 270kw).
block58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #17
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksand
Ive got my eye on an FG2 XR6 or G6/E on LiLPG. Can't keep shelling out $85 a week on petrol. Will wait to see what happens with the LPG excise first tho.

Excise not even starting till December now.
Old 20-05-2011, 10:35 PM   #18
SS_01
Erebus Motorsport Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by block58
Electric power assisted steering, like on the new Territory. Doesn't rely on the engine to run a pump so therefore saves fuel. Heard on here somewhere that it wont be going into the FG2 due to space constraints (also the post by G6E TURBO 270kw).
Thanks mate
Old 20-05-2011, 11:19 PM   #19
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Excise not even starting till December now.
Ah ok cheers, guess i will be waiting a little longer then. I really want to see what kind of impact the excise has on the price of LPG. It's kind of pointless switching to LPG if it is to be as expensive as petrol within 12 months. Aside from being greener.
Old 20-05-2011, 11:24 PM   #20
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

The excise for LPG is going to 12.5c/L so I don't see how it is going to be as expensive as petrol?
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2011, 11:26 PM   #21
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From memory, the excise was to be 12.5 cents. LPG is currently 59.9 cents in Geelong, so when it kicks in it will be 72.4 cents. Petrol is currently $1.36.9 a litre. Still works out well.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2011, 11:27 PM   #22
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksand
Ah ok cheers, guess i will be waiting a little longer then. I really want to see what kind of impact the excise has on the price of LPG. It's kind of pointless switching to LPG if it is to be as expensive as petrol within 12 months. Aside from being greener.
It will never be as expensive as petrol and the full excise won't be realised until 2015.

Old 20-05-2011, 11:35 PM   #23
84xespac
Wearing an armadillo hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
It will never be as expensive as petrol and the full excise won't be realised until 2015.
Remember when we use to say that about diesel only a few years ago.
84xespac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2011, 11:39 PM   #24
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84xespac
Remember when we use to say that about diesel only a few years ago.
Yes but diesel was never half the price of petrol and had twice the excise LPG will have.

Old 21-05-2011, 12:54 AM   #25
bmorris

Make sure to always factor in how much LPG it takes to go the same distance on petrol when comparing. I think its 2/3s or a figure close to that.

Thats to say LPG could never be the same price as petrol or no one would bother.
Old 21-05-2011, 03:20 AM   #26
nasss92

lets focus on something im sure every potential buyer and ford enthusiast really cares about.. the performance !

surely they arent going to bring out a petrol barra with the same power outputs as the liLPG ... thers so much potential for the falcon setup n/a and turbo to boost efficiency and power outputs .. hopefully they start with that damn restrictive exhaust, maybe a slightly raised compression level, even a tune package would be nice (imagine an xr6 with an option for economy or performance tune via something like a factory x cal 3 tune, first in the aussie market - i would imagine record sales if that wer the case)

hopefully some logic kicks in for the ford engineers and they make use of some simple technologies at their disposal.. brake packages would be good too, some choice aftermarket slotted discs and pads as $1k extra would be nice

surely ther must be some word on the street as too some improved performance mods... have any mules been picked up coming out of the factory?? some overexcited ford crewman would have to have blabbed to his mates about the new release falcon by now, they need to have the product pretty much ready and parts selected for final testing atleast 9-12 months before production right?
nasss92 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2011, 05:55 PM   #27
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasss92
lets focus on something im sure every potential buyer and ford enthusiast really cares about.. the performance !

surely they arent going to bring out a petrol barra with the same power outputs as the liLPG ... thers so much potential for the falcon setup n/a and turbo to boost efficiency and power outputs .. hopefully they start with that damn restrictive exhaust, maybe a slightly raised compression level, even a tune package would be nice (imagine an xr6 with an option for economy or performance tune via something like a factory x cal 3 tune, first in the aussie market - i would imagine record sales if that wer the case)

hopefully some logic kicks in for the ford engineers and they make use of some simple technologies at their disposal.. brake packages would be good too, some choice aftermarket slotted discs and pads as $1k extra would be nice

surely ther must be some word on the street as too some improved performance mods... have any mules been picked up coming out of the factory?? some overexcited ford crewman would have to have blabbed to his mates about the new release falcon by now, they need to have the product pretty much ready and parts selected for final testing atleast 9-12 months before production right?
nass92, while it would be nice if Ford did a partnership deal with a third party supplier for performance parts, that were still under warranty, in all honesty I don't think your needs will be or need to be the priority for FG2.

The performance enthusiast will find the suppliers and do their own thing, like you will no doubt do. The ones Ford need to catch are the guy who had a BA as a fleet or personal car and swore off Falcon after quality and warranty issues or the guy who looks at a 40K Falcon and wonder why it has half the equipment of a Korean car.

Raising build quality, improving the standard equipment and improving the customer ownership experience will benefit Ford and a lot more potential customers, then squeezing a few kilowatts out of a already competitive package or tweaking brake packages that will only sell in the hundreds at best.

For every performance enthusiast like yourself who have stuck with Ford, there is four or more ordinary folks who have walked from the brand. They are the key to Falcons future in my opinion. They are the ones who FGII must appeal to.

Dan
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #28
Perko
Loving The Blown Goodness

Quote:

If Ford release a XR8 ute with the FG2 (maybe wishful tinking here), then this may be the car that gets me out of the BA.

Previous 2003 BA XR8 Ute Phantom
Ford Forum Build Thread

The Project 1991 EB XR8 Sedan Monza Red
Project Build Thread
Perko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2011, 08:17 PM   #29
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perko
If Ford release a XR8 ute with the FG2 (maybe wishful tinking here), then this may be the car that gets me out of the BA.
This is what I'm waiting for. I remain optimistic about the chances of the XR8 returning to production.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2011, 08:40 PM   #30
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY
This is what I'm waiting for. I remain optimistic about the chances of the XR8 returning to production.
While the sales maybe ticking over I am sure FPV/Ford will be forced to make some kind of decision with the XR8.

Anyone know where we can access FPV sales data? If there not moving atleast 25-50% more then they are in trouble.

Maybe the XR8/GS debacle included a grace period for FPV and Miami....either way its an easy way to get a few more numbers on the board.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post