Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
gtfpv
GT

Default lately the forum is playing up again

it seems to be a hit and miss weahter you can log on here lately . and sometimes opening a page takes 3 minutes or more . i dont know why but this site seems to have continual issues .
cheers .

Old 04-01-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

My end seems fine mate??
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
Old 04-01-2011, 02:22 PM   #3
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
My end seems fine mate??
yeah some times its super fast . and others randomly impossibly slow . and sometimes i get the oops there is a probblems with this site , the internet cannot connect to it .
this is why i ask here . could be my computer , but it's only this site that it ever happens on .
Old 04-01-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Same here... I just go onto another forum I regular on and just stay on here browsing for a little while then I try aff again and its fine.... WierdM

Are you by anychance with tpg?
Old 04-01-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
Kryton

mines the same.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:19 PM   #6
Paxton
Cobblers!

Same here.

Optus and Mac OS.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:52 PM   #7
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

Been pretty good for me ,big improvement on a few weeks ago, occasionally might take a little longer..

I always go to " new posts " but only get a max of 8 pages now , used to be 20 ??. Has that changed too ???
Old 04-01-2011, 04:55 PM   #8
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Russ changed the number of new posts to 200 Greg to assist with the server load.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #9
pulpist
nope!

Gets a tad slow around 9am/9pm, so I guess that these would be the peak times for traffic on the forums server.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:01 PM   #10
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Same here.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #11
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

also have been having issues getting on

I just shut down and re load but that doesnt always work

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #12
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

Doesnt seem to be an issue here, although I have fast speed connection.
The 'new posts' being limited isnt great. I used to be able to log on and read the last couple of days posts if i was away with work etc
Old 04-01-2011, 07:09 PM   #13
buggo
[BU66OS]

Same thing for me. I go to the 'downforeveryoneorjustme' site, by the time I realise 'it's not just me', it's back online. But if I don't do that, it takes ages. coincidence...

BA XR8 Manual
Old 04-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #14
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Same here, but it usually happens early morning or evening.
I think it`s all you greedy easteners stealing our internet
(only joking)
Old 04-01-2011, 09:29 PM   #15
T3man
Banned

Yeah it's bloody frustrating - has been happening for months all told. Comes good for a coupla days then starts locking up again. Why does it always do it when I'm ready to "post quick reply". Damn thing locks up and takes 10 mins sometimes to let you back in. Then sometimes the post has gone up and sometimes not. Giving me the sheets real good today as it's been off more than on. It will probably lock again when I try to post this.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:34 PM   #16
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I clear out my cookies with CCleaner and it appears to log me back on...

I know a server upgrade is coming. We just need a bit more patience.

Frustrating at times yes...but well worth it when you do get logged back on hey?
Old 04-01-2011, 10:01 PM   #17
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
Frustrating at times yes...but well worth it when you do get logged back on hey?
Agreed! im sure if it could be rectified easily they would be all over it by now.

Easily the best run car forum i've visited, im happy to persevere!
Old 04-01-2011, 10:07 PM   #18
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
I know a server upgrade is coming. We just need a bit more patience.
Seems the biggest issue was when they migrated to the server they're on now. But this site is huge with so many members so its not gonna be a walk in the park.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:50 PM   #19
Geez Louise
Awesome

Exactly. We all love this site and Admin are aware of the issues, so a little patience is required. With the amount of users on here, picking a time to do an upgrade is going to be hard as the site will be down for awhile.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:56 PM   #20
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

Quote:
Russ changed the number of new posts to 200 Greg to assist with the server load.
Thanks Louise, now i just got to check in more often
Old 04-01-2011, 11:02 PM   #21
buggo
[BU66OS]

Thanks geeze louise, you talk like a moderator btw any spots opening soon???

BA XR8 Manual
Old 04-01-2011, 11:06 PM   #22
Geez Louise
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggo_gt
Thanks geeze louise, you talk like a moderator btw any spots opening soon???
Sorry about that...I should get my speech looked at...

That is a very nice compliment though. Thank you
Old 04-01-2011, 11:25 PM   #23
ZDI-970
Formerly D3v[]

i agree it may be frustrating at times, but theres not much more the admins can do, they work bloody hard already lol
and it is around peak times that the server is slow
Old 05-01-2011, 09:03 PM   #24
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

I can happily report that the new server is running in test mode at the moment - I had hoped to get it operational during the Xmas break but migrating all the little add-ons is a time consuming process that has to be fitted in around more mundane things like earning a living.

The two big add-ons (the gallery and portal) are both running fine so now it is just a matter of testing the other 5 add-ons (reputation, Sales Yard scripts, warning system, Auto PM and jump to last post) before testing can commence with a small test group.

Load testing has been completed as per the charts below.

By way of explanation, there are two things critical to server performance for this type of server. Available memory and CPU capacity. In simple terms, each user request is handled by an apache server process each of which takes a small amount of memory (it can vary) and a small amount of CPU capacity so that it can work.

At the same time, the server processes use some of each too - searches (one of the worst) take quite a bit of memory and CPU while they are executing.

What happens currently (as can be seen in the graphs) is that as the number of concurrent users increases, the available free memory goes down and the CPU utilisation goes up. When free memory gets low and CPU gets over 75% utiliisation then the server can't create more apache processes and we get the slow downs described above. This is made worse by the fact that we limit the number of apache worker processes that can be running at any one time to 300 - which is a limit that is a balance between saving memory and serving all the requests. Note that this is 300 concurrent processes and most of the requests on the server are answered in milliseconds (once answered the apache worker is available again). Experience shows that it takes about 900 active users to actually reach the 300 worker limit although this can be impacted by other server housekeeping activities (such as the ones that run each hour).

Free Memory

In this graph we can see the impact that increased number of concurrent users have on the available free memory on the current server whereas the new one has 4x the actual base memory which helps protect it from memory degrading performance.

Note: the new server simulation tests actually hit the server harder than real users do because of the way the scripts run and because that server is configured to allow 1000 concurrent apache workers.

CPU Utilisation

In this graph we can see the impact that increased number of concurrent users have on the CPU utilisation for the current server - anything over about 80% (equates to 700 users) starts to degrade performance and limit the number of worker processes.

Server Load

On Unix servers, the two metrics mentioned above (and a couple of others) are combined to provide a server load index. Basically this should be in single digits and ideally below 2.5 but as you can see it climbs rapidly as the user numbers increase on the current server where the new one doesn't hit 2.5 until 1500 users and that could probably be improved with a bit more tweaking than it has had.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 05-01-2011, 09:33 PM   #25
Geez Louise
Awesome

Awesome stuff!

Thanks for all the effort you put in Russ. Definitely appreciated.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #26
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Just wondering if this is a permenant change?
Old 05-01-2011, 09:55 PM   #27
Geez Louise
Awesome

I dont know...I read it in another thread in site support that russellw posted in.

russellw is the best person to ask.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:56 PM   #28
gtfpv
GT

hey RUSS thanks for the info . it gives me an insight on how much is involved in this stuff . cheers .
Old 05-01-2011, 10:27 PM   #29
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

The constant hardware upgrades are not cheap; the site just keeps growing….. If you like what you get here at AFF and want to put a little back in, Donating Members Status starts at $20 for 12 months subscription.
Info link to DM.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=52951
All administration and moderator work on this site is done without payment.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Old 05-01-2011, 10:42 PM   #30
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

I would happily be a mod on this site as i spend almost 6 hours a night on here..
Oh and my car is no longer linked to it ...
Closed Thread