Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-11-2010, 12:30 AM   #1
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Mobile phone numbers going public

Mobile phone numbers going public

This is for Australian phone numbers

REMEMBER: Mobile Phone Numbers Go Public next month.

REMINDER: all mobile phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sale calls.

YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS

Below is a link where you can enter your phone numbers online to put an end to telemarketing calls.
Don't just delete those calls otherwise you will find that you have been signed up for all sorts of extra services that you didn't want or know about. Like special chimes, music etc.

https://www.donotcall.gov.au/

Old 15-11-2010, 12:31 AM   #2
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

soo done... ****in telemarketers...
XRGhia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2010, 12:32 AM   #3
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

The do not call site is good.

But how does one get charged for answering a call in Oz?
Old 15-11-2010, 12:36 AM   #4
bdave351
R u a Fogwit or a HIDiot?

From the site.....

The ACMA is aware of an email currently circulating providing misinformation about mobile numbers being made 'public' in the near future. It advises that as a consequence mobile users will be charged for calls made by telemarketing companies to their mobile service.

While the email refers to the Australian Do Not Call Register website, it appears to have originated in North America a number of years ago and has been intermittently circulating since that time. The reference to consumers being 'charged' arises from the different charging regime for mobile calls in the USA, where often charges are incurred by mobile phone users for calls they receive. This charging regime does not apply in Australia.

Now Quattro RS3 powered
bdave351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2010, 12:41 AM   #5
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Apparently this is just a viral email but I needed to update my number on the list anyway so thanks for reminding me lol
http://www.hoax-slayer.com/do-not-call-register.shtml

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2010, 12:47 AM   #6
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry if i`ve misled anyone. the e-mail was sent to me in good faith from somebody i trust. I just copied @ pasted it onto here.
Old 15-11-2010, 01:28 AM   #7
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz
Apparently this is just a viral email but I needed to update my number on the list anyway so thanks for reminding me lol
http://www.hoax-slayer.com/do-not-call-register.shtml
It doesnt work anyway, well we do get less but they havent stopped.

We get calls from telemarketers both within Aus and outside. They can only act on the calls originating from Aus. Unless its changed and they finally held the companies hiring these offshore telemarketers responsible.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2010, 02:09 AM   #8
asusdragon
BA Falcon XT

Odd I have never put my number down on this no plans too either and well I think in the whole time i have had my mobile about 12years I have received about 2 telemarketer calls, both from Telstra first guy (about 4years ago) rang up and said he was from Telstra but didn't want to sell me anything and asked how my day was going. That was it. 2nd call about a month ago from Telstra saying that they had noticed by mobile was not with them and if they could offer me a better deal to come over. Which I told him no I will never go with Telstra and my mobile has never been with Telstra.

Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer. you're got an electrical problem
Quote:
You only need two tools in life - WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40, If it shouldnt move and does, use the duct tape
asusdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2010, 02:34 AM   #9
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by asusdragon
Odd I have never put my number down on this no plans too either and well I think in the whole time i have had my mobile about 12years I have received about 2 telemarketer calls, both from Telstra first guy (about 4years ago) rang up and said he was from Telstra but didn't want to sell me anything and asked how my day was going. That was it. 2nd call about a month ago from Telstra saying that they had noticed by mobile was not with them and if they could offer me a better deal to come over. Which I told him no I will never go with Telstra and my mobile has never been with Telstra.
Occasionally get texts telling me theres some big party going on in Chapel St or similar location and I really must text for a complete list of the amazing guests.

No, I dont, I really dont have too.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2010, 03:07 AM   #10
MexicanBatman
Banned

I give everyone my prepaid number it's diverted to my real number, I use my prepaid when I go away on holidays so it's active... Telemarketers? They never call but if they did I'd just kindly ask them to hold for a sec, then never go back to the call!

A call doesn't bother me, it's the fwits that turn up at the door wanting money for this and that..... Here's the pizzas you ordered that'll be $30 or I'm Jesus I can turn water into wine but we need your donation etc... I just don't answer the door anymore when I'm home, but after they leave I go out into the street and tell them to shut the fucn gate!
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2010, 08:06 AM   #11
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
It doesnt work anyway, well we do get less but they havent stopped.
Works quite well for me. I stopped receiving calls once I was on it. I just get the odd one from charity now though.

Quote:
We get calls from telemarketers both within Aus and outside. They can only act on the calls originating from Aus. Unless its changed and they finally held the companies hiring these offshore telemarketers responsible.
If they are from Australia, stop them and ask for their details and tell them you are on the Do Not Call register and report them to the ACMA. There is a link on their web site to report misuse of the register. Also, with companies from overseas calling, if they are acting on behalf of an Australian company, they still have to adhere to the DNC register. Once again, report them to the ACMA.
http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/...#telemarketing
Second to last paragraph on the page.
Old 23-11-2010, 02:23 PM   #12
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

registering for this sure now, thanks for the link