Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Holden releases 'Redline' performance package on Series 2 SSV and Calais V

Basically its stiffer FE3 suspension, lighweight 19 inch alloys and Brembo brakes from the axed Pontiac G8 GXP. Interesting to see it as an option on the Calais (which I think keeps its standard suspension)

Excellent value at $2500.

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2010...-redline-21550

Quote:

Pontiac GXP lives on as Holden Redline

Holden has managed to stoke another special edition out of the embers of the axed Pontiac export program.

Holden has managed to stoke another special edition out of the embers of the axed Pontiac export program.

After letting HSV do a limited run of cars using some of the Pontiac GXP sports sedan's go-fast bits, Holden has reclaimed some of the high ground to create high performance versions of the Calais-V and SS-V.

It's called Redline and is $2500 option on the top-line Calais-V and SS-V sedans – and SS-V wagon and ute variants.

While the HSV GXP was powered by the LS3 6.2-litre V8, the new Calais-V and SS-V Redline editions will be powered exclusively by Holden's E85-compatible 6.0-litre V8 which is just 0.2 of a second slower than the HSV equivalent, according to independent testing (0 to 100km/h in 5.5 seconds compared to 5.3 for the HSV).

But the Redline range gets the rest of the best, with race-bred four-piston Brembo brake calipers on 355mm discs up front and lightweight multi-spoke 19-inch GXP wheels on all models.

Meanwhile, the SS-V sedan gets the same sports suspension tune used on the export Pontiac GXP and HSV GXP.

Touch screen satellite navigation and a rear camera are standard on all Redline models except the ute, which comes with a navigation system but a rear camera is optional.

The Redline ute also misses out on a spare wheel and tyre – even a space saver – and instead must make do with an inflator kit.

"We know that performance enthusiasts who drive Holden sports vehicles … have an interest beyond straight line power. They're looking for a satisfying overall driving experience," said Holden executive director of sales and marketing, John Elsworth. "With the Redline edition we hope to improve that experience for them."

Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This will be interesting.

Holden diluting the HSV marque may bite them on the bum in a BIG way.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

No spare tyre on ute?? Why??????
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
Yeah I know, its such a potential deal killer you wonder if leaving it off is worth the benefits (if any!).
Old 10-09-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
Because the majority of buyers never travel far from streetlights and should they have a flt would just call AAA/NRMA/RACV/RACQ/whatever anyway.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #6
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

FE3-as good as FE2?
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 12:45 PM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Thats a great idea and IMO something I wish ford would follow. A FPV package upgrade for rims and brakes would be fantastic on the G6ET and XR series.

Flappist I agree that it muddies the waters but at the end of the day the car itself is not a GT/F6 so people can pretend all they like if they are willing to pay for it.

Why let the aftermarket take all the money when they can so easily get some extra revenue by offering a package that already developed and sorted.

Hmm..XR6T/XR8 with brembo's would be very nice.

We can bag Holden all we like here, but they atleast have the balls to give their customers what they want.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 12:46 PM   #8
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As much as these Holden packages are usually just using leftover bits. I think its great that they name these packages as a trim, it helps with resale and it will make the car more desirable on the second-hand market in years to come. A rare Calais V V8 Redline will probably be a desirable second hand car one day rather than a Calais V with a couple of options.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:05 PM   #9
spvd02

They're not just giving the customers what they want. They're desperate, and because their V8 will be inferior to FPV V8's, they're trying to take the focus away from the engine and make it look like they have the better 'complete package'.

In reality, though, FPV will still offer a great package, and it's not all about the engine. Sure, that's the only thing people are talking about, but it doesn't automatically mean the rest of the car is sub-par.

Redline looks like a good package, but it's one they wouldn't have come up with were it not for FPV's new offering.
spvd02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 02:24 PM   #10
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spvd02
They're not just giving the customers what they want. They're desperate, and because their V8 will be inferior to FPV V8's, they're trying to take the focus away from the engine and make it look like they have the better 'complete package'.

In reality, though, FPV will still offer a great package, and it's not all about the engine. Sure, that's the only thing people are talking about, but it doesn't automatically mean the rest of the car is sub-par.

Redline looks like a good package, but it's one they wouldn't have come up with were it not for FPV's new offering.
How do you figure that?

HSV are only saying publicly now that "its not about the engine" because they know that they are in some poo until they get their hands on something else which could be a while.

How does redline on the Holden "V" models have anything to do with FPV? The GS wont have brembos so they are not trying to match that. They perhaps have found that alot of SS owners upgrade their brakes anyway so why not get a piece of that pie aswell.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 10-09-2010, 06:12 PM   #11
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spvd02

I think you've missed the point....

Holden are giveing customers what they want, and its working.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 07:00 PM   #12
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Thats a great idea and IMO something I wish ford would follow. A FPV package upgrade for rims and brakes would be fantastic on the G6ET and XR series.
Isnt that what the GS is for?
Old 10-09-2010, 07:02 PM   #13
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
We can bag Holden all we like here, but they atleast have the brains to give their customers what they want.
FYP...
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 07:10 PM   #14
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Isnt that what the GS is for?
Well its hard to say, its a close line but I believe they are two separate segments that do share common traits.

The GS is V8 only, and supercharged at that. There will be some who dont want or cant justify a s/c but still want a V8, should they not be entitled to better brakes if they want them?

I cant see how having it as an option hurts anyone, just because someone wants better braking in their XR doesn't necessarily mean they want or need a FPV.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 10-09-2010, 08:03 PM   #15
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...910-154sn.html

Quote:
First drive: Holden VE Series 2 Commodore
September 10, 2010 - 6:03PM

COMMODORE VE SERIES 2 REDLINE EDITION, CALAIS V and SS-V

The Redline Edition is the most significant change to the new VE Series 2 Commodore driving experience.
The Redline Edition is a $2500 option ($1500 as an introductory offer) and is available with the V8-powered SS-V and Calais V; my first drive came in a Calais V sedan.

The new 19-inch wheels - the glossy chrome look won't be to everyone's taste but they stand out - house beefier Brembo brakes, which provide a firmer feel to the pedal which gives better initial bite, something more noticeable on harder, more aggressive stops. We didn't have the opportunity to test the brakes in extreme situations, where they're said to better resist fade.

But it's the revised suspension - with more active shock absorbers to better control the ride over bumps - that makes the biggest difference.

On a typical undulating country road the VE Series 2 Calais Redline Edition is impressively compliant, allowing occupants to feel the flow of the road but without being too jarring.

It also teams with the sticky tyres to give good cornering response and grip, in keeping with the sporty nature of the car.

At slower speeds through towns the firmer ride is more noticeable and more intrusive, with some jiggling over bumps. In many ways it's in keeping with the nature of what is a more enthusiast focused car.

As ever, the 6.0-litre V8 engine delivers instant response with a muted V8 sound.

Acceleration is strong throughout the rev range and the V8 works reasonably well with the six-speed auto.
The display on the dash of the automatic models tells you whether the car is running on four cylinders (as part of the cylinder deactivation system known as Active Fuel Management or AFM) when cruising or whether all eight are in operation.

Fuel consumption on the V8 can be more fearsome running on E85. At one stage after taking off in slow traffic I saw the trip computer register 49L/100km, although it settled down to 17 or 18L/100km before hovering around 13.5L/100km on a gentle country road run.

Inside, the Calais V has a conventional - bordering on plain - layout but it's functional and looks more upmarket. Again, the flashes of chrome-look finish liven the appearance of the dash and overall feel, while the lighter lower dash gives more definition compared with the darker look of the original VE Commodore.

But it's the sporty SS and SS-V that are more impressive inside.

The large circular air vents on top of the dash stand out, as does the colour touchscreen.

As with all new VE Series 2 Commodore models there's dual-zone climate control air-conditioning. The textured metallic surrounds look classy and almost give it a European-car feel.
Seats, too, are supportive and comfortable.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:17 PM   #16
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well its hard to say, its a close line but I believe they are two separate segments that do share common traits.

The GS is V8 only, and supercharged at that. There will be some who dont want or cant justify a s/c but still want a V8, should they not be entitled to better brakes if they want them?

I cant see how having it as an option hurts anyone, just because someone wants better braking in their XR doesn't necessarily mean they want or need a FPV.
FPV offer a model with better brakes.... Besides, who said the GS brakes arent upto it?? or is it another case of wanting "bling" V economics...

I want the tatts numbers for saturday night too, but that's unlikey... You have to draw the line somewhere...

Old 10-09-2010, 08:40 PM   #17
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Quote:
Fuel consumption on the V8 can be more fearsome running on E85. At one stage after taking off in slow traffic I saw the trip computer register 49L/100km, although it settled down to 17 or 18L/100km before hovering around 13.5L/100km on a gentle country road run.
Quite poor economy.

I'm sure it will appeal to the want it now's but gee 19s will cost at replacement time as will the brembo consumables.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #18
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as much as i hate holdens the couple of times i started to sway when younger they went out of there way for the sale,priced a vs ute up once and was able to option the hsv185 motor .with ford it is there it is take or leave it was flat out getting a set of mats chucked in for a baxr8 but over the other side a vyss they were going to give wind tint mats,option wheels,desperate for a sale maybe but its what the buyer wants
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 08:44 PM   #19
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
FPV offer a model with better brakes.... Besides, who said the GS brakes arent upto it?? or is it another case of wanting "bling" V economics...

I want the tatts numbers for saturday night too, but that's unlikey... You have to draw the line somewhere...
I think GMHolden is trying to fill a 'supercharged' hole with dressups that has now been created by Ford / FPV with the GS.

Get a 260kW/530Nm SS-V with this 'pack' or a real man supercharged GS 315kW/545Nm for very similar coin.

Retrotech thread
Old 10-09-2010, 09:18 PM   #20
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
I think GMHolden is trying to fill a 'supercharged' hole with dressups that has now been created by Ford / FPV with the GS.

Get a 260kW/530Nm SS-V with this 'pack' or a real man supercharged GS 315kW/545Nm for very similar coin.
It would depend on how the suspension, brakes and interior specs stack up between the two in my opinion.

Its not all about having a big engine.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 09:51 PM   #21
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Big? Fpv's engine is 1litre smaller. I'd prefer the more advanced super charged engine over the bigger pushrod Holden motor. bring on quadcams!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:57 PM   #22
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

I think this will sell well. I know if ford had offered Brembos as an option on the XR i would have gone for them. Not at full price, there will be heaps of room to get a bargain.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2010, 11:48 PM   #23
1TUFFUTE
Banned

ford saves alot of peoples ***** inadvertantly...saving them heaps model thru model in paying money on unnesescary dollars for servicing wheels tyres brakes and other things. All things that 90% of buyers will never need or push to the limit of ever needing...so thumbs up ford. Just a little bit more optional gear would be the go for the other 10%
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2010, 10:26 AM   #24
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
It would depend on how the suspension, brakes and interior specs stack up between the two in my opinion.

Its not all about having a big engine.
Agreed. I would expect the suspension to be similar on both cars with the GMH probably being even firmer (so it 'feels' sporty), the brakes to do a good job on the GS, the interior of the GS will also feel a bit more special too.

But the engines are what will dominate the character of both. The AFM GMH will be a distinct disappointment next to the S/C GS.

GMH/HSV are now saying it's not all about the engine as they are about to be whooped by not just the XR6T/F6 but also the GS/GT.

I hope that most see through it, but I suspect the lure of the Lion and bling will be enough for most. Shame. But that is how it goes.

Retrotech thread
Old 11-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #25
tweeked
N/A all the way

Holdens would not be doing it if they did not have the parts left over from a failed export program.

Same reason they had the nostrilled bonnet.

Hey, i think the next Holden special will be a twin steer for the learner driver market, use up all of those left hand steering wheels

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2010, 03:47 PM   #26
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked
Holdens would not be doing it if they did not have the parts left over from a failed export program.

Same reason they had the nostrilled bonnet.

Hey, i think the next Holden special will be a twin steer for the learner driver market, use up all of those left hand steering wheels

Haha, true! But it would be nice to have some options available like these when ordering a new car, leave it up to the buyer if they want them or not

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2010, 04:17 PM   #27
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

I like it. Holden don't have the coin to match the new engine, why not tap into some of the aftermarket money that is floating around.

I'd love to see alot more personalisation available from the factory. A checkbox list longer than your arm..
You want a XR with GT-P seats _ check
You want a brembos on a XT - check
You want 19" wheels - check
Don't want a spoiler on a GT- check

A custom car to match your tastes and needs with factory warranty.

Massive win for the consumer

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2010, 04:48 PM   #28
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
I like it. Holden don't have the coin to match the new engine, why not tap into some of the aftermarket money that is floating around.

I'd love to see alot more personalisation available from the factory. A checkbox list longer than your arm..
You want a XR with GT-P seats _ check
You want a brembos on a XT - check
You want 19" wheels - check
Don't want a spoiler on a GT- check

A custom car to match your tastes and needs with factory warranty.

Massive win for the consumer
Ford have tried this over the years, in the early BA days there were way more options available from factory then there are now, for the simple fact that no one bothered with them and it was too hard to get dealers to stock the right cars with the right options.

The only options the Falcon range really needs is the 4 pot brembos for the Turbos and those who want better brakes. Hell id even option brembos on an XR6 if i was going to keep it long term!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2010, 05:20 PM   #29
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

If i was a holden buyer, i would love these parts without the silly HSV kit...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2010, 05:40 PM   #30
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
If i was a holden buyer, i would love these parts without the silly HSV kit...
If I was a Holden buyer, I'd want the option of a half decent 6spd auto!
Game. Reinvented.