Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-08-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Default What is it about dogs eh?

Had a bugger of a day and to cut a long story short had to let my best mate a Border Collie called Mac go today sadly.Was a case of bringing home home full of drugs and watching him suffer for a month or 2 or let him go whilst he was under,gritted the teeth went down there and held the old bugger whilst they did there thing and he passed away quietly, bugger me i am 47 years old and fairly hard(i thought),nope,eyes started leaking and buggered if i could stop it Anyways a strange old thread but feels good to type it out i guess,RIP Mac,fond memories of his ears flapping around madly on the back of the XR ute,he loved the thing.

98TLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2010, 08:32 PM   #2
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

You have my deepest condolences. As a previous dog breeder & shower, I know how this can take a toll on you. We have lost many friends over the years, champions, rescues, & all time favorites. But the biggest loss was last year when the "old man" (the title passed down to the oldest living male dog in the household), my Keeshond "Ceasar" finally decided to move on. Its the ony time I have seem my dad cry, when we carried him into the vets. Not bad 16/112 yr old. I guss it was more emotional knowing that he was the last of the Keeshonds, we owned after we stopped breeding them.

The only good thing is, that I will never have to worry about him again. Every winter for about 5 years, I always got worried he wouldnt make it to spring. Even before he passed, I always said that I would not get another dog for quite some time. & it had to be another Keeshond or a Huskie. And I'm sticking to it, after my girlfriends PITA dog passes on. & Hes only 2.

However, waiting may not be a good way to heal, getting another puppy of the same breed, will make you realise that love isnt just for one dog.....
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
g220ba
FGX XR8

I feel for you mate, letting a family member go is not a very easy decision to make. You can at least take solace in the fact that he's suffering any longer.

Enjoy the memories mate.
RIP MAC.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
Mad Maxine

They are quite small in the grand scale of things, but boy, do they leave an enormous hole in our lives.... I had to recently do the same for my 16 year old cat, and after having had him for all those years, his daily habits and mine were so intertwined that when he was no longer there, it hurt dozens of times a day.

I'm sure you mate Mac had the best life a dog could have, and by the look of the photos, you shared some grand times together. That's what is important. And you did the most loving thing for him when he was depending on you to let him have his dignity.

Be sad, cry, go through all his photos, cry some more, and then, when the time is right, you might want another pup. Just remember you aren't trying to replace Mac, but you can give another dog a wonderful life if you choose that option in the future.

Internet hugs to you (0)

Shazz

1977 XC GS Coupe
Mad Maxine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate you're not alone. When I put my old bluey down a few years ago I was inconsoleable. Have his picture on the fridge and still get a tear in the eye when I look at him and think about what a great dog he was.
Truly, another dog does help to get over it. They can never be replaced but they're all individuals with their own characters and we remember them for what they were.
Old 31-08-2010, 08:50 PM   #6
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Cheers guys,no doubt there will be another for sure.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:16 AM   #7
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sadly been there and done this . I feel for you M8 . You are NO less of a man for tearing up and feeling this way
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 08:34 AM   #8
GXL Guy

Mate,
I feel your pain. We had a Belgian Shepherd for 16 years and had to have her put down a few years ago. They are part of the family and become intimately entwined with your lives. I too shed tears when the time came, but knowing that she would no longer be in pain made it a somewhat easier decision. Try to remember the good times, the funny habits they had, and the joy they brought. This is their legacy to us.
Fords, gotta love 'em.....
GXL Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 08:38 AM   #9
XC GXL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi mate,
I know how you must be feeling.
We had to put our Dalmation of 15 years down about a year ago now and like others have said they leave a large hole in your life when they are gone. it was the hardest thing I've ever done and yes it made me very tearful. She had kidney failure and I know that we did the right thing although I didn't think so at the time. I still think about my last dog alot.

We just got another Dalmatian puppy two weeks ago and every time she does something it reminds us of our last dog and at 9 weeks old she is a handful.

My condolences mate.

All the best

wayne
XC GXL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 09:21 AM   #10
dannyxm
was danny888

Pretty much everyone on this site will feel for you mate.

These threads are most common and we all understand what you are currently going through.

Bloody dogs eh, they really do get into your heart and become family.

In my book, you are more of a man for having a eyes leak a bit.

I pity people who do not understand.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:10 AM   #11
KYSBF

RIP Mac.
So sorry for your loss mate, I know exactly how you feel.
Love is a Border Collie.
KYSBF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 11:21 AM   #12
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I've teared up just reading it. Dogs are so special and the bond is ingrained in the human psyche, it is just 'meant' to be. My boy is turning 12 later this year thus his latter days are upon him. I will be completely distraught when he goes. Condolences to you for your loss.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:53 AM   #13
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your dog remains your devoted mate and friend without question for life..... they dont lie, cheat, steal (ok maybe shoes) and they enjoy the simplest of things. A ride in the car is the dogs biggest excitement in life.

I had to have 2 dogs put down over the years because of illness, Jess was 15yrs old and was simply heart breaking to do. Her ashes are on my computer desk.

I think its worse that we cant do anything for them to make them better.

My condolences.....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 12:10 PM   #14
REDNEF
Starter Motor

That's so sad mate, I have to go out and have a smoke or I will be crying at my computer at work. I have had to do the same in the past and my current dog (10 years old) is starting to show his age a little. I am not looking forward to the day that I have to make that decision again.

As painfull as it is at times like this they are so worth it.

best wishes.
REDNEF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 12:39 PM   #15
iCat
doof doof doof doof

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TLS
my best mate
and that sums it up and that's why it hurts.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:52 PM   #16
fakegt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We had to do the same with my first Collie, a hard but good decision for his sake. I only hope that when its my turn to go the laws in this country allow us not to suffer any longer than we need to.
My 2 dogs are just about to hit 13 and we know we will need to make the same call if needed. Our first is still with us in spirit and I doubt will ever be forgotten.
Chin up Buddy, remember the great times.
RIP Mac.
Cheers, Dave
fakegt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 12:57 PM   #17
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I feel for you. We had to say goodbye to our best mate at the beginning of July. We knew it was coming for a long time but it was still one of the hardest things we had to do. We had Vito for 10yrs and saying goodbye was heartbreaking.

We still miss him everyday.

RIP to your best mate.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:04 PM   #18
adelaidecrows02

Really sorry to hear about your loss. I to, like most here, have gone through this, and it never is an easy time. To be honest it's what stopping me from getting another dog now.

Take care

crows
Old 01-09-2010, 02:36 PM   #19
rst2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i know how you are feeling as i just lost my staffy last sunday after 14 years.
rst2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 02:39 PM   #20
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I too made a thread for when my pooch baz died.
Can't really express how sorry I am to hear of your dogs passing. He looked like a fun loving pup with a love of life.
Don't feel bad for shedding a tear; it shows you loved him and cared for him. Anyone who says "it's just a dog" has never owned one!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 05:35 PM   #21
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Sad days, so many hairy mates over the years...........
My Grandfather lost a mate in the '40's, couldn't take it, never had another dog.
The old man bred Bull Terriers & Boxers, he lost a litter of young Terriers when someone put their water dish near an oleander tree.
His last Boxer went protecting my siblings and I from an eastern brown, back in the fifties.
I had to shoot my best working Kelpie, a "Haddon Rig" Kelpie, he had two shattered legs.......... Sad days indeed.
So sorry for your loss...

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 06:38 PM   #22
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I feel for you mate and am sorry for your loss, the passing of pets is never an easy thing.
RIP Mac
Old 01-09-2010, 07:43 PM   #23
zdcol71
zdcol71

I read your post this morning mate, my words can't help you any, but I did just come in from having spent a fairly intense couple of hours with my little fella, dedicated it to you and all others who have lost their best mates.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:13 PM   #24
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Deepest condolences,never easy.
Check my sig and you'll know.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2010, 08:40 PM   #25
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

You have to get another one. We lost our beloved German Shepherd in March this year. Got another one in May as a pup. He's awesome, although having a well trained and well behaved dog for so long, you forget how destructive a pup can be !! Get another one.............and soon. We love our new pup but we'll never forget Charlie....... RIP Mac
Old 01-09-2010, 11:39 PM   #26
Ringo
I see you....

Took my wife an I almost three years before we felt ready for new furry kids after we said goodbye to 15 year old Mitzi. We still talk about her now and still miss her like crazy. Mrs Ringo tears up at the mention of her but smiles at the same time.

You will know when its time for another furry mate ...often they find you.

A heart that hurts is a heart that works.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2010, 12:34 AM   #27
JazManXII
Starter Motor

dont worry mate
i even cried when hooch dies in turn and hooch
all the best
JazManXII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2010, 12:06 PM   #28
Biggav
On the search for cubes..

Sorry to hear mate i know most people aint cat lovers but after putting off the deed for a couple of weeks now thinkin all will be good he'll solder on, im having to say goodbye to my "best mate" muffin aka guppy.

Been with me for 16-17yrs bought from the cat shelter(never buy my pets from a pet store give the battlers a go i say) with his step-brother came close to biting the big one 7yrs ago when sleeping in my carport next to "step bro" who was taken by neighbours pit bull that got loose and tresspassed into MY yard and i couldnt do a thing about it, had lady luck on his side thats for sure.

RIP to all the "best mates" out there big or small.

Current Projects
ED SOHC 3v 5.4 Cammed 5.4 3V Garage Ornament Project
Project Brimstone XE Wagon Phase 6 powered by Coyote

Long Gone Projects
EA Falcon SOHC 4.0 237rwhp
BA 3V 'The Taxi' DJR320 Kit, G6ET Wheels, Lunati Voodoo Cams 320rwhp
Biggav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2010, 02:06 PM   #29
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Many thanks for all the comments guys,nice.The Mrs is already talking of another,seems awfully soon but as shes says "will never replace Mac" and there all different eh with there own ways etc.Once again cheers for all your thoughts,will post up a pic of my "next best mate" when he comes along.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:16 PM   #30
Mad Maxine

That would be great Thank you! And a new puppy will help take some of the hurt away.

1977 XC GS Coupe
Mad Maxine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post