Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-08-2007, 08:16 PM   #1
travisty
WNTDAU

Default throttle body spacer

hi just wondering if anyone knows if you put a spacer between your throttle body and manifold "increases air induction turbulence and air speed into the manifold - gives sharper throttle response and increased power" this is from fibre sports. They have these but only for boss motors just wondering if i got one made would this happen ?oh by the way i have a xr6

Old 13-08-2007, 08:27 PM   #2
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisty
hi just wondering if anyone knows if you put a spacer between your throttle body and manifold "increases air induction turbulence and air speed into the manifold - gives sharper throttle response and increased power" this is from fibre sports. They have these but only for boss motors just wondering if i got one made would this happen ?oh by the way i have a xr6
I doubt it'd make much difference, but I'm in no way an expert on such matters. Others will be able to tell you though.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2007, 08:55 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

your wallet would feel it but your engine wouldnt.
Old 13-08-2007, 09:03 PM   #4
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

make one up and try it...it shouldnt be to hard to make you could sell on ebay....plenty of people would buy em even if they dont do anything...
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2007, 09:09 PM   #5
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Unless it was a helix spacer...... no
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2007, 09:22 PM   #6
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Hmm, I should start an eBay parts company

uselesspartsthatbleedyourwallet inc!
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2007, 09:24 PM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Actually, it may do something - longer runners are supposed to increase air speed and apparently result in more torque down low, so why wouldn't this work. I know the I6 manifold is not as convoluted or restricted as the Windsor V8 one, so the benefit may not be huge, but surely it may work?
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2007, 09:26 PM   #8
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

When you look at it its not exactly lengthening the runner volume, just the entry into the plenum
Quote:
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
Old 13-08-2007, 09:28 PM   #9
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
When you look at it its not exactly lengthening the runner volume, just the entry into the plenum
Isn't that all the helix spacers do on the boss motors? If so, why would it work on them and not the I6. Sorry, not being a smart@rse, but I can't see why it would work on one engine type (apparently) and not on another?
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2007, 09:31 PM   #10
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Any venturi effect from a helix spacer would be lst inside the manifold anyway yeah?
Old 13-08-2007, 09:35 PM   #11
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

The helix spacer has small ribs/notches that apparently swirl or makes turbulence as it enters, a std spacer wouldnt create any type of turbulence, as the internal wall is smooth/flat
Quote:
Old 14-08-2007, 06:22 PM   #12
travisty
WNTDAU

so if you could put the swirls in it should do some thing then ? is that what ur saying?
Old 14-08-2007, 06:44 PM   #13
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

spacer hey, get yourself a hiclone while you at it
Old 14-08-2007, 07:12 PM   #14
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8fella
spacer hey, get yourself a hiclone while you at it
I know a lot of people rubish the hyclone but i got one as a money back no questions asked deal so I decided to experiment. I ran 6 tanks of fuel with and without the hyclone and worked out the average fuel savings, on average I acheived 81 Ks extra on a tank of fuel. In each case i used fuel from the same outlet and the driving was my regular drive to work so conditions were unchanged for the test. before testing I was sceptical like most of you but the results were impressive. on the non scientific sde I felt there was a bit more response down low but that may have been imagined and as i didn't dyno it it can't be proven it was just my impression. a lot of hyclone dealers offer the money back offer now I recomend you give it a go yourself you may just be surprised. I still look at it when i have my intake off and think it couldn't work but my tests say it does
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2007, 10:04 PM   #15
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
I know a lot of people rubish the hyclone but i got one as a money back no questions asked deal so I decided to experiment. I ran 6 tanks of fuel with and without the hyclone and worked out the average fuel savings, on average I acheived 81 Ks extra on a tank of fuel. In each case i used fuel from the same outlet and the driving was my regular drive to work so conditions were unchanged for the test. before testing I was sceptical like most of you but the results were impressive. on the non scientific sde I felt there was a bit more response down low but that may have been imagined and as i didn't dyno it it can't be proven it was just my impression. a lot of hyclone dealers offer the money back offer now I recomend you give it a go yourself you may just be surprised. I still look at it when i have my intake off and think it couldn't work but my tests say it does
Hmmmmm, Interesting reading!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2007, 11:24 PM   #16
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Just out of curiosity, is the I6 throttle body unique to the locally made engine or is it sourced from the ford parts bin? What other engines share this throttle body if it's a parts bin special?
Old 15-08-2007, 12:09 AM   #17
MRJUCY
Fordless

If you're that desperate to part with your money I can sell you magic beans, they'll be equally as effective.
A couple of grooves isn't going to achieve anything as goes through the twists & turns of the manifold, it's hardly going to sit there spinning at a dead end waiting for the valve to open either.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2007, 12:49 AM   #18
BLACKAUXR8
Young !@#$ Head

I have also used hyclones in a previous car and i agree they are alot better then people think. I am upgrdaing the induction on my XR8 at the moment and have thought about putting one in to see the results. I have a couple rolling around at my old mans place so ill see if i can find one and post the results of my study's in a few weeks.

AU3 220 XR8
CUSTOM PEARL PAINT
LOWERED THEN LOWERED EVEN MORE
ADVANTI 20's
K&N
PORTED MANIFOLDS
TWIN 2 1/2 into 3 inch PIPES
244rwhp
NOW WITH T5 5 SPEED
COBRA CLUTCH AND BILLET LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL

SUZUKI GSX-R 750
BLACK 2007 MODEL
CARBON FIBRE YOSHI PIPE
BLACKAUXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2007, 08:22 AM   #19
Jokular

Hmm its a shame no one is going to try these spacers or hiclone
on inline 6 with before and after dynos 1/4 mile et's 0-60 etc....
I have been convinced by negative input from people that
haven't tried them that they don't work .

Saying that I would be really interested to see any before/after
results posted.
Jokular is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2007, 08:47 AM   #20
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

do they do anything on the V8 if so why wouldnt they do anything on a 6...
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2007, 09:00 AM   #21
Sledgehammer
Banned

The Hyclone thing can be testing to the mind, I have a friend who raced Formula Vee and he tested on track, engine dyno and flowbench and recorded a 1+HP increase, - not bad - 1HP on a VW engine is alot.....He could also lead the rest of the field on most occasions as well.

The swirl effect allows the runners to achieve a better flow, the 5.0L manifolds do not flow equally from the factory, so it has to assist here.
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2007, 10:31 AM   #22
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokular
Hmm its a shame no one is going to try these spacers or hiclone
on inline 6 with before and after dynos 1/4 mile et's 0-60 etc....
I have been convinced by negative input from people that
haven't tried them that they don't work .

Saying that I would be really interested to see any before/after
results posted.
here is a link to some dyno testing done by hyclone. sure it is their own results and not a falcon but it backs what I have experienced http://www.fuelsaver.com.au/hiclone.php?s=1
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post