Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-03-2010, 12:55 AM   #1
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 
Default Perth storms 22/03/10

One hell of a storm, anyone got much damaged? Nothing here on my 7 month old house (touch wood)... seem some other peoples houses in the street and trees uprooted and fence panels gone / bent..

Old 23-03-2010, 01:42 AM   #2
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My Ute scored hail damage pretty badly. Bonnet, roof and front guards rooted. Experienced some insane hail, bigger than golf balls. And the angry sky was like nothing I've ever seen.

House got off lightly.

Would have preferred it the other way around, ute's only just hit 15,000km.
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2010, 04:10 AM   #3
MaTTe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

schmidty, my grandad feels your pain. His BF wagon has about 22,000km on it and has severe hail damage all across the roof, bonnet, doors, shattered windscreen(hit in multiple places)
he has roof tiles cracked a plenty, his new solar hotwater system shattered, sky light shattered..
The race car has a smashed windscreen(one place), and plenty of dents to match..
Canvas canopy out the back has rips and tears all through it(was new a few weeks back)
Fortunately he has insurance for all these items, so he should be fine..

My mums car however, didn't have insurance, and she was driving through the hailstones, she has dents all over her volvo, fortunately no cracked windscreens..

Mum said the hailstones were the size of golf balls, grandad said they were much bigger where he was.

At home we didn't get hail, but we had the house filling up with water as the gutters overflowed from the massive instantaneous downpour..

My missus was watching lightning strike the tarmac at perth airport a 10-20m from where her building is, the passengers in the planes that were forced grounded, had to stay onboard until it passed.

I'm sure there are others much worse off too...
Old 23-03-2010, 04:32 AM   #4
MaTTe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

schmidty, my grandad feels your pain. His BF wagon has about 22,000km on it and has severe hail damage all across the roof, bonnet, doors, shattered windscreen(hit in multiple places)
he has roof tiles cracked a plenty, his new solar hotwater system shattered, sky light shattered..
The race car has a smashed windscreen(one place), and plenty of dents to match..
Canvas canopy out the back has rips and tears all through it(was new a few weeks back)
Fortunately he has insurance for all these items, so he should be fine..

My mums car however, didn't have insurance, and she was driving through the hailstones, she has dents all over her volvo, fortunately no cracked windscreens..

Mum said the hailstones were the size of golf balls, grandad said they were much bigger where he was.

At home we didn't get hail, but we had the house filling up with water as the gutters overflowed from the massive instantaneous downpour..

My missus was watching lightning strike the tarmac at perth airport about 10-20m from where her building is, the passengers in the planes that were forced grounded, had to stay onboard until it passed.

I'm sure there are others much worse off too...
Old 23-03-2010, 06:56 AM   #5
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

Yeh I closed work early and went home for the night. Hail was massive but storm was amazing! Perth will now have a hail damage néw car sale now haha! My house was fine no damage (7months old) my car well I don't care anyway it's a bucket and I need a new one haha. But no damage to that either. Only issue I've had is getting my 1 month old daughter to sleep haha..

But did you hear? That thorlie tree guy got hit by lightning on the news
Old 23-03-2010, 07:10 AM   #6
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Thankfully I left Perth at 9am. Although part of me wished I was there, maybe I could have had the camry written off. My mums FG XR6 amazingly suffered no dents or damage from what she can see, yet the car next to her was totally written off, same with my brother and his excel, no damage but all the cars around him were buggered. Anyway all the way home it was raining, as I sit here now it is raining, looking at pics it is the tail of the storm from Perth. I know how people are feeling, in november 08 we were flooded when 150-200mm fell here in Albany, I am awake now making sure I can catch it if it happens again tonight. We live at the bottom of 3 hills that join at a T-Junction, and last time we were flooded I awoke at about 12am because the rain on the roof was so loud, I got up to check the weather and put my feet straight into water. This time I would rather see the water starting to seep in and get the family to higher ground and then come back and inspect the damage, everything that can be has been lifted off the floor and I am insured so all the furniture I have not bothered moving. thankfully I am on Holidays. The BOM has no warnings for here nor have they all day, so hoping this will just be some light scattered showers. If I hear massive hail I will move the camry out
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2010, 07:21 AM   #7
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote V8
Yeh I closed work early and went home for the night. Hail was massive but storm was amazing! Perth will now have a hail damage néw car sale now haha! My house was fine no damage (7months old) my car well I don't care anyway it's a bucket and I need a new one haha. But no damage to that either. Only issue I've had is getting my 1 month old daughter to sleep haha..

But did you hear? That thorlie tree guy got hit by lightning on the news
http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/west...-1225844046831

That Thornlie tree guy is a lier. If he was struck by lightning in the way he claims I would like to see the evidence.
Old 23-03-2010, 08:24 AM   #8
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

WOW freakin awesome storm ! . power just back on (3.29 am) no major damage apart from minor water leaking through roof. excellent ride mother nature ! can we play again ?. :
Old 23-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #9
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

That storm was unlike any I have ever seen.

Watching it come in from the north, it was certainly ominous, it was literally calm before the storm, I work in a 14 storey building in West Perth and this building was creaking and groaning from the wind.

Had some flooding at home, there is now a 30cm waterline around my backyard and house, and I have lost quite a lot of stuff in my shed to water damage, but that is about all. I feel for those people that have suffered major damage to their house.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2010, 12:43 PM   #10
spooty

I left work at around 4pm heading south for home....my car didnt even get wet- then it hit about 20 mins after getting the ute safely back in the garage.. thank god!!

My partners mum rang to let us know her Mazda got Hammered by the hail...has dents all over it :( luckly no smashed windows

Our house was fine and we didnt loose power at all
spooty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #11
Tucool
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I was stranded in the shed ...... luckily for me I have fridge , I think the storm lasted about 6 long necks

All BS aside it was the wildest I've seen, a few branches down and the house pump fused but no one hurt.

AU II XR8 Daily driver.

BF XR8 ute (Red the only true Modification) My Toy.

The boy,

XT Ute 393 cleveland.

Genuine XB GT.
Tucool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2010, 12:53 PM   #12
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Well just heard from my mum that the light must of tricked her yesterday because checking her XR6 this morning, she says there is dents all over it. She has had the car for about 4weeks. What do they usually do in these situations? Do they write it off? She said that she will not accept the use of bog to fill the dents.
Old 23-03-2010, 12:57 PM   #13
Scaffy
Rlegaur Mbemer

I was visiting family in Woodvale when the hail hit. The Mondeo was parked in the driveway, facing north and all I could do was watch it get pelted with hail up to the size of golf balls. It's copped a few bad dents on the bonnet and roof while the windscreen survived.

I feel for the people whose houses copped it or those who were caught in the middle of it. It would've sucked to be working in emergency services yesterday/lastnight.
[YEAH NAH] Red EL XR8 with Trick Flow top end kit, 70mm tb, 73mm maf, 24lb injectors, tweecer, 3.73s & tired T5 = 275rwhp & 13.155@105mph NA. 12.375@116.73 N2O - Off the road, awaiting 347 293ci and Astro Performance gear-kitted T5 (A5)

White EL Series II XR8, manual, high flow cats, single 3" exhaust and Quarterhorse = 236rwhp and 14.18@97.5mph - E7 heads FTW! - SOLD
Scaffy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2010, 12:58 PM   #14
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDfutura25
What do they usually do in these situations? Do they write it off? She said that she will not accept the use of bog to fill the dents.
Something like this:
http://www.dentmasters.com.au/page/p...t_removal.html
Old 23-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #15
mcnamg

I work in Dalkeith and got to watch all the pricey motors parked outside the coffee shop next door get pelted. The water was insane there was quite literally a river flowing down the street.
mcnamg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #16
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

This used to be a very well presented, very rare FPV Force 8 302. One of only 10 made by FPV with the Cobra 302 engine and one of less than 100 Force 8's ever built.

It will now most likely be written off unless my parents fork out the $$ to repair it themselves.

This is very sad and a real kick in the guts as my mum was having an operation in hospital at the time this occurred. They were only due to be in Perth for 24-48 hours before heading back up to Moora. But at least no-one was hurt which is the main thing.
Old 23-03-2010, 01:13 PM   #17
Scaffy
Rlegaur Mbemer

Holy shish-kebabs! Where was the Force 8 parked up? That's unbelievable!
[YEAH NAH] Red EL XR8 with Trick Flow top end kit, 70mm tb, 73mm maf, 24lb injectors, tweecer, 3.73s & tired T5 = 275rwhp & 13.155@105mph NA. 12.375@116.73 N2O - Off the road, awaiting 347 293ci and Astro Performance gear-kitted T5 (A5)

White EL Series II XR8, manual, high flow cats, single 3" exhaust and Quarterhorse = 236rwhp and 14.18@97.5mph - E7 heads FTW! - SOLD
Old 23-03-2010, 02:01 PM   #18
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Pics aren't working for me?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2010, 02:48 PM   #19
Scaffy
Rlegaur Mbemer

I'm still seeing them. Imagine a black Force 8 pitted like a golfball with rear window caved in!

Old 23-03-2010, 02:52 PM   #20
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inducted_Breeze
This used to be a very well presented, very rare FPV Force 8 302. One of only 10 made by FPV with the Cobra 302 engine and one of less than 100 Force 8's ever built.

It will now most likely be written off unless my parents fork out the $$ to repair it themselves.

This is very sad and a real kick in the guts as my mum was having an operation in hospital at the time this occurred. They were only due to be in Perth for 24-48 hours before heading back up to Moora. But at least no-one was hurt which is the main thing.
Jesus christ, there would not be a piece of straight sheetmetal on that by the looks! Dam'n shame to such a nice ride.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2010, 02:53 PM   #21
spooty

thats soo sad :( I hope they decide to fix it!
spooty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2010, 02:56 PM   #22
Hotka
Ford BA XR6

Inducted breeze no insurance....???
Hotka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2010, 03:01 PM   #23
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

It was parked outside Charlies hospital in the Nedlands area. Charlies hospital had it's roof smashed in, with water leaking in and causing mass flooding. They have now cancelled surgeries all over the place due to the flooding in the hospital and evactuated wings. All the cars in the hospital car park are like this.

It's insured, but FPV panels are not cheap and it's touch and go as to whether this will be written off or repaired. Still waiting on the assessor to decide.
Old 23-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #24
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

mate - really feel sorry for you...

this is where insurance is a little difficult - in a sense that you have a car that is VERY very rare, and ok - you might get market value back in the form of a payout...
but good luck finding something like that...

hope you get the result you want - given the situation you're in...
Old 23-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #25
XF Falcon
[FORCED]

******** man thats terrible to see :(

I just drove past that hospital area, and there is carnage everywhere. Seen at least 30 cars with hail damage as bad as that during the trip too :(
Old 23-03-2010, 04:11 PM   #26
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inducted_Breeze
but FPV panels are not cheap
Not the same panels as the falcon?
Old 23-03-2010, 04:22 PM   #27
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
Yeah they are, expect for the bars which should be ok.

But, thats alot of panel work to get right. Worth it to some, not to others.

What is going on! We had one in melb not long ago which looks to be about the same as that.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2010, 04:23 PM   #28
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
same as xr8 except for the 'non panel' parts like front and rear bumpers, and side skirts.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2010, 05:52 PM   #29
G_FORCE_8

Thats such a shame Tristan, I feel deeply sadend that there might be one less Force 8 on our roads. I'm thankful that at around 4.30pm yesterday my boss came to me and told to get my Force 8 inside the workshop as there was hail coming very soon. The car didn't get a drop of rain on it and by the time i knocked off at 11.30pm the weather was fine. Once again sorry to hear, but gald everyone is ok.
G_FORCE_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2010, 07:01 PM   #30
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The tail end of it from Centre Ford -

Luckily , I had my XR8 under the service centre shelter at the time!
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post