Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-03-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Lowndes: Adelaide Hoons - Do burnouts on a track

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1225838889371

Quote:
RACE car drivers Craig Lowndes and Jamie Whincup have called on hoons to stay off the streets, saying high-speed driving belongs on the racetrack.
Both drivers have backed The Advertiser 's Take 5 campaign, which calls on people to take five seconds to think about how they will arrive safely at their destination.
Speaking at a ceremonial blessing of Team Vodafone's new Holden V8 Supercar yesterday, the champion drivers said they were aware of the YouTube video showing a car doing burnouts on Rundle St last Friday night before allegedly fleeing from an unmarked police car.
"Looking at the paper this morning, obviously seeing what was happening down Rundle St - that's just stupidity," Lowndes said.
"You're not only endangering yourself, but other people.
"If you're going to burn your rubber up, you're wasting your own money anyway with tyres. But don't do it on the streets.
"I don't want to be driving down the street with my kids in the car knowing there is an oncoming car doing twice the speed limit swerving all over the road.
"It's very scary watching people out on the roads."
Lowndes said all drivers needed to take more time to prepare before getting behind the wheel.
"One of the biggest problems is that people don't allow enough time in their journey," he said.
"People are always anxious about getting somewhere faster and that's something you have to plan for.
"You've got to plan for your trip - as well as taking five to think about your trip - you need to make sure you've got enough time to get from A to B."
Whincup said he and Lowndes were passionate about road safety and would do what they could to encourage hoons to stay off the streets.
"There are racetracks, there are suitable places to enjoy your car - certainly not on the street where my friends and family are heading the other way," he said.
"The road toll and road safety is an issue everywhere, but it's a big issue here in Adelaide.
"We do need to do something about it and part of Craig's and my job as professional racing car drivers is we're passionate about driving and we want to try and improve things as much as we can.
"The thing is, though, you end up setting up schemes to compensate for people just not showing common sense.
"If you show a bit of common sense, then you won't have a problem.
"But some people have issues with that."
Maybe if there was an appropriate place to do it in the first place????

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think half the problem is its like forbidden fruit to some of these guys, if you were to legalise doughnuts in the street there would be no fun in that, and they`d have to find something else thats a bit naughty ....so to speak.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kia Chaser
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1225838889371

Maybe if there was an appropriate place to do it in the first place????
That really would be a pathetic excuse...

Old 10-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

has anyone been killed doing a burnout? lowndes talks about a car doing twice the speed limit which of course is dangerous, but a burnout?

i have probably seen thousands of burnouts (both legal & illegal) & i cant think of one time someone has been hurt.

it should be illegal to do a burnout on public roads, but the hysteria over burnouts by the police & media doesnt seem justified
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 01:08 PM   #5
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
has anyone been killed doing a burnout? lowndes talks about a car doing twice the speed limit which of course is dangerous, but a burnout?

i have probably seen thousands of burnouts (both legal & illegal) & i cant think of one time someone has been hurt.

it should be illegal to do a burnout on public roads, but the hysteria over burnouts by the police & media doesnt seem justified
My best friend was nearly killed when the car he was a passenger in hit a telegraph pole when a burnout went wrong......

The car snapped sideways and fish-tailed into the pole..

Anyone remember Troy Critchley's burnout????

Old 10-03-2010, 01:11 PM   #6
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||

I also remember a burnout going wrong in the USA with a car driven by an Australian Drag Racer...

How quickly we forget these things...
Old 10-03-2010, 01:11 PM   #7
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
I bet the guy in the Skyline was not sticking to the speed limit when he ran from the cops (on crowded streets).

Even in a burn out it is not hard to lose control, a pedestrian struck by car does not require a lot of vehicle speed to result in death, <20 km/h will do it.

Simple fact is it is illegal and unsafe, end of story and there are no excuses, particularly in areas shown in the video.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:12 PM   #8
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Given the Thread title, I dont think so.
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 01:12 PM   #9
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
I also remember a burnout going wrong in the USA with a car driven by an Australian Drag Racer...

How quickly we forget these things...
i stand corrected. if i am not mistaken wasnt that a "legal" burnout that went wrong?
Old 10-03-2010, 01:14 PM   #10
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I bet the guy in the Skyline was not sticking to the speed limit when he ran from the cops (on crowded streets).

Even in a burn out it is not hard to lose control, a pedestrian struck by car does not require a lot of vehicle speed to result in death, <20 km/h will do it.

Simple fact is it is illegal and unsafe, end of story and there are no excuses, particularly in areas shown in the video.
It was actually a Cefiro, not a skyline. the problem seems to be (from my understanding) that there is no where in Adelaide for anyone who is into cars/driving/burnouts etc to let off some steam so to speak.
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 01:16 PM   #11
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||

i've nearly rear ended someone while driving tentatively through some sh*twit's burnout smoke in a busy intersection. I've also seen someone mount a curb and hit a pole in the same situation.

not all laws are created purely to stop fatalities

furthermore, wtf does there need to be somewhere to allow for the particularly special ones amongst us to 'let off steam'? Since when did doing burnouts and driving like a twat become part of a 5 step anger management programme? What must Henry have done before the T? Took his Steam powered bike out the back and ripped a few mega's before sitting back down at the blueprints. I'm sure ANYONE can find a paddock or lawn from a friend/family member's place where they can act the fool if it's completely necessary.

Last edited by Professor Farnsworth; 10-03-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 01:19 PM   #12
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
bit of an unfair critism. since the nearest place i know of that's possibly occasionally open for burnouts is at least two hours away from here.

They probably need to set up skid pads for each town, like they've done with skate parks.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:21 PM   #13
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Both drivers have backed The Advertiser 's Take 5 campaign, which calls on people to take five seconds to think about how they will arrive safely at their destination.
I did this on the way to work, then slammed into the rear of the car in front..... ;)
j/k
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 01:33 PM   #14
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
bit of an unfair critism. since the nearest place i know of that's possibly occasionally open for burnouts is at least two hours away from here.

They probably need to set up skid pads for each town, like they've done with skate parks.
Exactly my point - the government cant outlaw skating and skate boards and then not build a place for anyone to skate.

Although burnouts and racing have been illegal from the get go, why not give them a legal place to do it, therefore they really would have no excuse to do it on public roads....

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 01:35 PM   #15
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO AU XR8
It was actually a Cefiro, not a skyline. the problem seems to be (from my understanding) that there is no where in Adelaide for anyone who is into cars/driving/burnouts etc to let off some steam so to speak.
That does not in anyway shape or form excuse "letting off steam" in an area that is packed with pedestrians. A remote industrial area with no traffic, although still illegal I could understand but the area that the incident happened, no way, no excuse and this moron would do it there even if the was a legal race track, burn out pad etc. His problem is he just does not care.

By the way, the reports were it was a skyline, who cares what type of car?
Old 10-03-2010, 01:39 PM   #16
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kia Chaser
Although burnouts and racing have been illegal from the get go, why not give them a legal place to do it, therefore they really would have no excuse to do it on public roads....
i guarantee this would not be the case. After practicing at the 'right place', some would demonstrate their now refined prowess on the tarmac to impress all the nobodies on the street
Old 10-03-2010, 01:39 PM   #17
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Assuming I understand your point, you're dead right.

Sorry...it doesn't matter if there are not tracks available...that doesn't give permission to go drive like a ballsack on public roads.

Oh, I have no idea where a shooting range is, so I might go around and shoot birds in Jells Park.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 01:41 PM   #18
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Oh, I have no idea where a shooting range is, so I might go around and shoot birds in Jells Park.
i'll join you and bring my RPG, coz there's no where to legally fire it!!
Old 10-03-2010, 02:00 PM   #19
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Assuming I understand your point, you're dead right.

Sorry...it doesn't matter if there are not tracks available...that doesn't give permission to go drive like a ballsack on public roads.

Exactly right...

Using that defense is like me getting my 338 Winchester mag out and letting a few rounds off at the local park because there's no shooting range near by....

I will never understand how people can float this as a valid excuse for breaking the law, it makes no logical sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle

Skating isnt illegal... performing burnouts on a public road is.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #20
xls3v

Quote:

cant do burn outs on a track without one how is that pathetic?
xls3v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 02:06 PM   #21
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Blaa.. Blaa.. Blaa.. It's been a good seven or eight year's since we've had 1/4 mile action in Adelaide.. Blow off a little steam??.. Give me a break.. I'm over the waiting.. Give me a secluded back road and i will blow tyre's off.. FRUSTRATED.. Not much.. :
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 02:08 PM   #22
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xls3v
cant do burn outs on a track without one how is that pathetic?
Is the need or urge to perform burnouts instinctive and so uncontrollable that people are prepared to break the law to "get their fix"?

Do people Rob banks because they can't help themselves?

"ive got no money, so therefore its ok to rob a bank because nobody gave me some money for free..?"

Ive never been able to fathom some peoples fascination with burnouts... seems like just a total waste of money and abuse of your drive-line... :

Old 10-03-2010, 02:12 PM   #23
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

yeah that's the part i'm not getting either.

letting a tyre break loose occasionally (purelly accidental of course) is one thing, but the urge to smoke it up all the time? where's the challenge/fun/skill in that? how is it rewarding to screw your tyres/dif/driveline/bearings and so on, just to put a cloud in the air?

go for a drive on a twisty road, master car control, just be thankful you have the opportunity to do it in the first place..
Old 10-03-2010, 02:13 PM   #24
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
yeah that's the part i'm not getting either.

letting a tyre break loose occasionally (purelly accidental of course) is one thing, but the urge to smoke it up all the time? where's the challenge/fun/skill in that? how is it rewarding to screw your tyres/dif/driveline/bearings and so on, just to put a cloud in the air?

go for a drive on a twisty road, master car control, just be thankful you have the opportunity to do it in the first place..
Yep, got no problem with a bit of a power slide out of a corner through a bit of extra right foot, but full on brake lock burnouts???!! : :

Old 10-03-2010, 02:14 PM   #25
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Is the need or urge to perform burnouts instinctive and so uncontrollable that people are prepared to break the law to "get their fix"?

Do people Rob banks because they can't help themselves?

"ive got no money, so therefore its ok to rob a bank because nobody gave me some money for free..?"
if it wasnt for centrelink...yes they would.

think of a burnout pad as welfare for car hoons
Old 10-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #26
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
i stand corrected. if i am not mistaken wasnt that a "legal" burnout that went wrong?
Which makes it a damn site worse ..... he was a professional!!! So in the hands of a moron?

Might not have been many reported deaths but I would say there would have been quite a few injured. Also if you have lived in a street with some nuffies who think its great fun on a Saturday night at 3am in the morning .......

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 02:21 PM   #27
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
if it wasnt for centrelink...yes they would.

think of a burnout pad as welfare for car hoons
That is pure gold!!!

Last edited by 4Vman; 10-03-2010 at 02:27 PM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 02:28 PM   #28
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
i'll join you and bring my RPG, coz there's no where to legally fire it!!
Yes there is.

Which state are you in? And do you need any ammo?

There is a huge difference between "I don't know where" and "there is not".
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 02:35 PM   #29
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Yes there is.

Which state are you in? And do you need any ammo?

There is a huge difference between "I don't know where" and "there is not".
way to knit pick the wrong argument

i don't know of anywhere for a civilian to fire off an rpg in Victoria but that's not really the point which was being made
Old 10-03-2010, 02:44 PM   #30
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Come on guys. It is not black and white.

I love driving really fast. Up until 2007 I used to drive 2000km up to NT to the open zones and have a ball because it was legal and doing it here could end in tears.

My nearest tracks are over 250km away and while I enjoy playing there they are no were near as fun as the open road or bid tracks like Mt Panorama etc.

The comment "take it to the track" is just abject stupidity IF THERE IS NO TRACK.

Motor vehicle enthusiasts are made up of roughly two groups:

Those who love to drive enthusiastically and have some respect for society and whish to be safe and not cause problems to others.

and

Those who do not care about either part or all of society.

Car enthusiasts are being villified as hoons regardless of who we are. There have been incidents where "legal" car evernts have gone horribly wrong and people have been killed or hurt. Should society just ban it because it can be dangerous?

As dangerous as skydiving or ultralight flying?
As dangerous as shooting or archery?
As dangerous as football or boxing?
As dangerous as skateboarding or cycling.
As dangerous as fishing or sailing?
As dangerous as mountain climbing or hiking?

We are also part of "society" and if part of "society" does not support us why should we support them?

I had an interesting conversation a couple of years ago with the local state member for here lobbying for some land to build to build a motor sport centre. He was a bit of a car hater and posed me a question:

Give me one example of where the government have provided land and infrastructure for use by a small group of enthusiasts and I will concider it.

When I answered "Boat Ramps" he went red in the face and his "minders" whisked him away. (And we all whisked him away permanently at the subsequent election )

If it is ok to build boat ramps to prevent erosion, skate parks to keep the kids off the footpaths, shark nets to allow the tourists to swim, MX tracks to keep the kids out of the forestry etc etc.

What is the problem with making burnout pads, drag strips et al. for those who wish to play as safely as possible.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post