Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-02-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default NSW Rego Rise...

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1225832747625

Quote:
THE State Government has told long-suffering commuters in Sydney's northwest they will have to wait 14 years and re-elect Labor twice if they want to get a train line.
And a plan to deliver new express rail services to the Western Suburbs has no completion date at all.

On top of this comes a new car registration levy that will force motorists to pay up to $30 a year more to partly fund the new pie-in-the-sky plans.

The tax, to bring in $500 million over 10 years, will penalise those who do not own small cars with vehicles over 975kg costing between $5 and $30 a year more, depending on the car's weight, from July.

At the same time, the M4 East motorway and Epping to Parramatta rail link may never see the light of day, with no plans to build either in the next decade.

The latest transport blueprint is almost certain to be the final nail in the Government's coffin, with exclusive polling by The Daily Telegraph showing some three-quarters of voters ready to turn on Labor over its transport mismanagement.

No less than 73 per cent of the 2000 people who completed the Ultimate Transport Survey said the Government's handling of transport had been poor or very poor.

A total of 74 per cent said the Government's first two priorities should be extending the northwest and southwest lines (49 per cent), followed by Epping to Chatswood (25 per cent).

Yet despite first announcing the northwest line in 1998 in its "Action for Transport 2010" plan - and reannouncing it another six times since - the Government will only start work in 2017 and the line will not be finished until 2024.

By that time a resident of Castle Hill will have waited 26 years for a train to the city.

Even the start date for work is two elections away, despite widespread predictions the Government will not survive next year's poll.

The project, which runs from Epping to Rouse Hill, will now cost $6.7 billion. The 1998 estimate for the extension from Epping to Castle Hill was just $360 million.

The last time a government opened a train line in the Hills district was in August 1900. And in a cruel irony, the Carlingford line is now effectively a ghost track because of the abandonment of the Epping to Parramatta link.

The $4.5 billion Western Sydney express service will not begin construction until 2015. No one in the Government could say when it would be completed.

Even the Government's new blueprint website was out of order.

The $50 billion 10-year plan will also include a $500 million light rail extension to Circular Quay and Dulwich Hill and new rolling stock.

It will be in part funded by the scrapping of the $5.3 billion CBD metro. Even rail unions, who had called for an extension of the heavy rail network, said the Government's plan was too little too late and commuters would not believe them until work started.

Tourism and Transport Forum executive director Brett Gale said the Government had failed to guarantee the projects would even be delivered.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
glavas

in qld its coats like 950$ a year to rego a v8
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 08:19 PM   #3
GT-E

NSW ALP = NFI
How they can change leaders every 5mins and still think they are in control is beyond a joke.
Old 22-02-2010, 08:19 PM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I read about this in the paper.

Wonder if it will change a buyers decision to buy a certain car?.. What is there under 975kg's these days anyway? The Alto perhaps? Even the new Mazda 2 lost a bit of weight, but is still just shy of the ton.

It will be just be absorbed like everything else.

I wonder... will this make the owners of older sub 975kg cars make them hold on to them longer?

Anyhow, we already pay more for the size of car, like 3 levels for passenger cars isn't it in NSW? Will this now change across the board to further break down weights by every 100kg etc?
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Why, when I live out in the central west, should I get slugged for a light rail system that I'll never see let alone use and apparently won't even be built for 7 years which my cynical mind says will probably not happen anyway cos the next change of govt. will probably mean a change of plans but you can guarantee that the extra impost will never get given back to us punters with a reduction in fees or taxes anywhere in the future. It'll just go into that big bottomless pit known as "general revenue" never to be seen again just like everything else.

I f^$K!*G hate this place.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 09:21 PM   #6
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

13 transport / rail plans in 14 years of NSW Labor government. Not one has been implemented.

But, i'm sure the tax will come in on time. Finally, living 150km away, why should i pay for it?

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 09:59 PM   #7
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

ridiculous ...... its dear enough as it is now, every year as i get older and things like rego should noticably get cheaper, it dont. lol

just rego'd the GT last month was $840ish with ctp. ghey
Old 23-02-2010, 10:27 AM   #8
Kamshaaft
Broken eBay Starter Motor

Does this apply to every vehicle registered in NSW? What in Deniliquin, Albury, Yanco, or further out even?? If it is I'll be transferring my registration to Victoria next time it comes up, which is almost funny because I am dead sick of subsidizing all sorts of things for those that live in Melbourne.
Kamshaaft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 10:58 AM   #9
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

I'd say now is a good time for the division of New South Wales. I'm sick of my money going into these grand Sydney projects for Sydney people. Grand Sydney ideas of harvesting water from the Hunter Valley(Tillegra Dam) to supply the Central Coast and metropolitan Sydney with water at Hunter Valley farmers' expense. A Sydney based government that has taken control of mining royalties that once went to local government where the actual mines exist. A NSW government who cares little for those outside metropolitan Sydney. It wont change when the Libs get handed government.

I remember Kevin Rudd saying something about slowly taking control of essential services off state governments with the eventual abolition of state government in Australia. If we cannot secede from NSW, then perhaps the Feds can dissolve NSW.

I know that people west of the Great Divide say that all the money goes to Newcastle-Sydney-Wollongong but that isn't the truth. People here in the Hunter are being ripped off too. Actually, people here in the Hunter once had a chance to join the proposed new state of New England but declined to jump ship. I'm sure we would love the opportunity now....
Old 23-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #10
bjr22n_
XR5TBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeyson
ridiculous ...... its dear enough as it is now, every year as i get older and things like rego should noticably get cheaper, it dont. lol

Rego on my XR4 (which i consider a light car) $850 with ctp. :

DJR Team mate #14
bjr22n_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 11:24 AM   #11
Kamshaaft

That couldn't have been said any better, barnacus.

It's much the same case too with water going away from the foodbowl and rural towns/cities to Melbourne because they're currently using more water than they have in their own reserves (and what do they do with this water? Pour it straight down the drain most of the time, without an effing care in the world). Why? Because city residents cry over having to pay for desalination plants, or about them being 'too ugly'.

And of course on the basic level it's due to Sydney & Melbourne's populations being far too dense & large for their own infrastructure but their respective governments won't spend money where it's truly needed, or more importantly think past the next election. Infrastructure needs to be planned decades and decades ahead. What do they do instead? More land development! More trains! More buses! Millions of dollars ****ed away on hosting international sports events, and other entertainment! That'll solve the problem!

I am a former city boy too. I live in NSW btw, just mentioning water going to Melbourne because it's the same scenario. Rural & outback regions need to be autonymous and seperated from the rule of city-based bereaucrats.

Last edited by Kamshaaft; 23-02-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 23-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #12
Big Bird 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeyson

Half your luck,thats what i paid last year in qld,it goes up to $1000 this year! :
Old 23-02-2010, 12:33 PM   #13
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds a lot like the 3x3 to me... I can't see anything ever happening about the public transport in NSW, let alone the extra tax actually being diverted into it.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #14
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To be perfectly honest, I thought the additional $30 per year for a V8 was pretty low (8c per day....). I was expecting maybe $300-.
I don't agree with it - but it's not a huge amount of $$$$ (and I'm sure it will increase over the years - now that they have established a precedent).
Don't get me started on the NorthWest rail link !!!!!! The state (Labour) government has given NorthWest residents a royal screwing for the past decade. Broken promise after broken promise. Why can't they make a start on the rail link NOW....... oh thats right, because they just incurred a $300million payout for stuffing up the Metro/Inner City transport plan - which wasn't really needed anyway.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #15
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Haaaa

For a bit of light humour, go to this site, and press play for the 'City Rail non-announcement'..

http://www.nsw.liberal.org.au/

Love it
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 03:50 PM   #16
Kamshaaft

Yuck. I'd rather not. Something about Tony Abbot makes my skin crawl. I was happy enough with Turnbull. The other 30 blokes were pretty mediocre. I think I'm just still sour. :p
Old 23-02-2010, 04:47 PM   #17
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
Why, when I live out in the central west, should I get slugged for a light rail system that I'll never see let alone use and apparently won't even be built for 7 years which my cynical mind says will probably not happen anyway cos the next change of govt. will probably mean a change of plans but you can guarantee that the extra impost will never get given back to us punters with a reduction in fees or taxes anywhere in the future. It'll just go into that big bottomless pit known as "general revenue" never to be seen again just like everything else.

I f^$K!*G hate this place.

Bushbasher
Amen to that. I would visit Sydney maybe once every 2-3 years and as it is still have to pay tolls to drive around the place. If they actually put the money back into roads it might be a good thing, but it isnt. I dont give a toss because someone needs to catch a train to work, and Im sure they dont give a toss about me.
Im sick of the rural population propping up Sydney's pipe dreams.
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 07:10 PM   #18
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by banarcus
I'd say now is a good time for the division of New South Wales. I'm sick of my money going into these grand Sydney projects for Sydney people. Grand Sydney ideas of harvesting water from the Hunter Valley(Tillegra Dam) to supply the Central Coast and metropolitan Sydney with water at Hunter Valley farmers' expense. A Sydney based government that has taken control of mining royalties that once went to local government where the actual mines exist. A NSW government who cares little for those outside metropolitan Sydney. It wont change when the Libs get handed government.

I remember Kevin Rudd saying something about slowly taking control of essential services off state governments with the eventual abolition of state government in Australia. If we cannot secede from NSW, then perhaps the Feds can dissolve NSW.

I know that people west of the Great Divide say that all the money goes to Newcastle-Sydney-Wollongong but that isn't the truth. People here in the Hunter are being ripped off too. Actually, people here in the Hunter once had a chance to join the proposed new state of New England but declined to jump ship. I'm sure we would love the opportunity now...
In the Newcastle Herald this past month a story was run on what the Hunter contributes to the NSW economy and what we get back.

We are 10% of the total 6M popution. But we contribute 20% of state domestic product, 32% of the exports & 600M in mineral royalties. What we get back is an average 5% across Health, Education, Police & Roads. When it comes to Justice 3%, Arts & Tourism about 1%.

Dissolve the state. Banarcus, I too wish Newcastle had become the Capital of New England back in the 1960s.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #19
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great, so now i need to pay more money just so others can use public transport.

Its a bit like the huge hike in CTP to pay for people without insurance who are hurt in car accidents
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2010, 10:38 PM   #20
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

now you know why Monaro is a swing electorate, we go from election promise to promise each time. it's the only way we actually get anything from Sydney.
aussie muscle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2010, 09:08 AM   #21
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Atleast they're not making us pay for the new logo's on our number plates;

"NSW - STATE OF DISREPAIR"

Quote: