Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-02-2010, 02:50 PM   #1
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Default Ford Establishes Global Engineering Team For Future Performance Vehicles

I wonder what this means for FPV?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viknesh Vijayenthiran February 9th, 2010

Jost Capito. The name should ring a bell for most Ford performance fans but for the uninitiated he is the current chief of Ford's global performance vehicles and motorsports business development and one of the key men behind the 305 horsepower Ford Focus RS super-hatch sold overseas. With such credentials it's little wonder Ford has enlisted Capito to oversee the operations of all of its performance teams, working to create a "universal feel" for its lineup of performance vehicles sold around the world.

Capito's role will be to head Ford's Special Vehicle Team (SVT) in America and its RS team in Europe. By integrating the two divisions, future sporty Fords will be able to benefit from a single set of performance criteria and the latest in Blue Oval technology and know-how. The move also reaffirms Ford CEO Alan Mulally's desire for a unified Ford empire consisting of global engineering teams.

Speaking at the launch of the 2011 Ford Shelby GT500's aluminum-block V-8 engine, Capito explained that engineers will be flying back and forth between North America and Europe and are already working to fine-tune a common set of parameters used to evaluate a vehicle's handling and performance capabilities. Additionally, the move will also allow Ford to better integrate its motorsports developments into its road cars.

The good news for consumers is that future performance vehicles will be able to move from one region to another with only a little fine-tuning, paving the way for future versions of European-only models like the Fiesta RS and Focus RS to eventually be sold in North America--just don't ask anyone at Ford when this going to happen.
http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...mance-vehicles

Old 10-02-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Probably nothing, FPV volumes are too small for Detroit to worry about and half of it is owned by Prodrive anyway

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

In a fantasy world I wonder if the GRWD performance sedans will be based here. Who knows, alot of crap flying about lately.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 09:04 PM   #4
FPV

Anyone able to shed any light on the implications for FPV? This announcement is just a tie-in to Jost Capito heading over to the U.S early last year to start this performance car amalgamation process. Capito reportedly visited Australia to test the FPV models, possibly FG prototypes according to Motor magazine. Not to mention some people have mentioned that FPV may not just be developing their new V8 for themselves.

The FPV brand appears to be established in the Australian market, it would be a shame to see any changes made to the brand. Best case is that this new development allows FPV a broader pool of technology to implement into its products.
FPV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Established? So we mean established in terms of the whole Tickford/FPV period, or just the FPV period?

Prodrive haven't been around for that long in Australia remember. What would it mean to us if Ford pulled out of that patrnership and simply announced that they'd go it alone as SVT or RS in Australia? Would they still own the IP developed from the partnership with Prodrive? No one other than the partners would know the details of the business partnership between Ford and Prodrive. But being a partnership, I don't expect there to be contractual periods like TW has for HSV right?

However, given that Ford have the controlling stake, I'd imagine that Prodrive would probably just have to roll with whatever decision Ford makes.

It would be nice, though, if it meant the Focus RS made it out to Australia via FPV.

Should we be launching an email campaign to get FPV out to declare what this means for them?

Lukeyson
Old 10-02-2010, 09:43 PM   #6
FPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
Established? So we mean established in terms of the whole Tickford/FPV period, or just the FPV period?

Prodrive haven't been around for that long in Australia remember. What would it mean to us if Ford pulled out of that patrnership and simply announced that they'd go it alone as SVT or RS in Australia? Would they still own the IP developed from the partnership with Prodrive? No one other than the partners would know the details of the business partnership between Ford and Prodrive. But being a partnership, I don't expect there to be contractual periods like TW has for HSV right?

However, given that Ford have the controlling stake, I'd imagine that Prodrive would probably just have to roll with whatever decision Ford makes.

It would be nice, though, if it meant the Focus RS made it out to Australia via FPV.

Should we be launching an email campaign to get FPV out to declare what this means for them?

Lukeyson
Just the FPV era, though you could take it as far back as Tickford. The FPV era is now heading to its 7th year, time sure does fly...

http://www.fpv.com.au/news/news-arch...t.aspx?ID=1363

According to the above link, the initial Ford/Prodrive partnership agreement was for a five year term, ending in 2008, so I guess they just extended it?

For me its mainly not losing brand identity, if Ford brought FPV in-house and this enabled the FPV range to achieve a greater overall package for its vehicles then thats excellent.

You would think the Focus RS business case would be revisited with the strength of the Australian dollar of recent. It was the very reason Mr Barrett ruled the vehicle out late last year. You have to wonder if a sole Falcon focus would provide FPV a sustainable future?
FPV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 11:12 PM   #7
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Like Road Warrior said, probably wont mean much for FPV, other than engineering input/output with overseas. If anything itll be a good thing.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 03:05 AM   #8
morak001
460 - cubes torque

Yeah, I don't think it'll mean much. FPV will, as usual, take the fords best and make it better..........
morak001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 08:24 PM   #9
Bossxr8
Peter Car

There was word that FPV would become part of the team early last year, but I never heard anthing else about it so who knows what happened?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 08:39 PM   #10
gtfpv
GT

its ashame the yanks own ford . the falcon to me is better than any mustang ever.
it's aussie orientated and family based. i drove a mustang convertable in 1997 brand new with a v6 in it . the EL shat all over it in every way, and my xr8 left it for dead . if the mustang had a v8 that was 3 seconds quicker . i'd still prefer the falcon .
i dont know if australia has a national dish , but the falcon is our national heritage , and its ashame the yanks control it . i DO NOT WANT TO DRIVE AN AMERICAN FALCON
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 08:58 PM   #11
XR8putts

The Yanks created Ford Motor Company, owning it is a bi-product.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 09:46 PM   #12
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
its ashame the yanks own ford . the falcon to me is better than any mustang ever.
it's aussie orientated and family based. i drove a mustang convertable in 1997 brand new with a v6 in it . the EL shat all over it in every way, and my xr8 left it for dead . if the mustang had a v8 that was 3 seconds quicker . i'd still prefer the falcon .
i dont know if australia has a national dish , but the falcon is our national heritage , and its ashame the yanks control it . i DO NOT WANT TO DRIVE AN AMERICAN FALCON
Have you forgotten that the Falcon was pretty much all american until the XA?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 10:12 PM   #13
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Driving a '97 convertible Mustang V6 (a rental I assume) and using that as an opinion on the whole Mustang series of cars is quite ignorant.
Be like driving a EA 3.2 auto and claiming all Falcons are crap...
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 10:16 PM   #14
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

All opinions are valid though, even if your opinion of his opinion isn't very high.

Lukeyson
Old 14-02-2010, 11:11 PM   #15
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Keep in mind Lincoln / Mercury is made by Ford also..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 04:35 AM   #16
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think FPV will change, until 2014. I think eventually the Ford perfomance divisions will be consolidated in to a global brand, I personally don't care what 3 letter acronym Ford uses just keep making good products.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 08:37 AM   #17
Outback
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
Well Australians were drive US designed Falcons from 1960 to 1972, the XA was the first all Aussie designed Falcon.
Outback is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 10:12 AM   #18
Wally
XP Coupe

Well not really all Aussie. It was designed in 1968 by a pommy import stylist wasn't it? Then it was clay modelled in Dearborn where some US signatures were added. At least that's the story we were told when they went on sale .. history is such a fickle thing.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 01:23 PM   #19
gtfpv
GT

i'm trying to keep a little significance of australian engineering , our cars i think are suited to us and we like them . americans and europeans may not be suited to our cars or like them as much as us . i understand this , because thats the way i feel about thier cars . i'm just talking falcon and holden here . . nothing wrong with other makes , but they arent a falcon or commadore . do i want a BMW or merc AS A DAILY NO . AS A WEEKENDER YES . but my falcons go everywhere are comfortable for my roads and i can afford them because they are designed for australia for australians . a mustang , or merc , is not .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 03:15 PM   #20
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Well, the Shelby GT500 managed a credible LAST of the cars that were still running at the end of the day in the Bathurst 12 hr with Jason Bright at the wheel this last weekend.

If that's what the SVT boys come up with, do we want SVT to be doing the work in Australia or FPV?

http://www.bathurst12hour.com.au/live_results.html

Lukeyson
Old 15-02-2010, 03:38 PM   #21
Chopped
as in chopped

Re Bathurst 12 hour >

Mustang Shelby fastest lap 2:33.8961 (finish time 12:02:39.7697)
-----
Clubsport R8 wagon - fastest lap 2:34.8274 (finish time 12:02:21.2155)
-----
FPV F6 Sedan - fastest lap 2:36.0153 (finish time 12:02:31.0364)
-----
BMW 335i Coupe - fastest lap 2:31.4736 (finish time 12:02:07.7469)

Germany still leads the way !
Old 15-02-2010, 04:42 PM   #22
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Can hardly use a race car built days before the race with no shake-down as an indicator of its performance...
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 04:54 PM   #23
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
Can hardly use a race car built days before the race with no shake-down as an indicator of its performance...
Correct. If the GT500 gets another run next year and developed/tested accordingly, it will be doing laps as quick if not quicker than anything else out there. To drop it off the hoist onto the racetrack at Bathurst and put in 120 laps within 2.5 seconds of the fastest car there is quite amazing. Imagine if they had time to test & tweak it!
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #24
Chopped
as in chopped

How does the GT500 fit under the $125000 cap ???
Old 15-02-2010, 05:43 PM   #25
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

OK, I missed something here. Someone needs to point me to the article that says the GT500 was not race prepared, but every other car was.....

Lukeyson
Old 15-02-2010, 05:53 PM   #26
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
All opinions are valid though, even if your opinion of his opinion isn't very high.

Lukeyson
whereas my opinion of your opinion his opinion of his opinion...
hang on im confused
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 08:38 PM   #27
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
OK, I missed something here. Someone needs to point me to the article that says the GT500 was not race prepared, but every other car was.....

Lukeyson
I'm pretty sure what he meant was that the car was new and has not had a lot of development time. That Beemer has been part of the championship for a while.
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 09:28 PM   #28
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
I don't think FPV will change, until 2014. I think eventually the Ford perfomance divisions will be consolidated in to a global brand, I personally don't care what 3 letter acronym Ford uses just keep making good products.
That makes a lot of sense considering the Falcon will be based off a global platform going forward. What's the point in having a separate division in Australia engineering specific vehicles for the local market?
Old 15-02-2010, 10:35 PM   #29
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiadude
I'm pretty sure what he meant was that the car was new and has not had a lot of development time. That Beemer has been part of the championship for a while.
In essence.. Others far more in the know can come along and tell the whole story but the nuts and bolts of it are that the GT500 was basically delivered, stripped to a shell, put back together in race guise just in time to arrive for scrutineering.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2010, 11:05 PM   #30
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
How does the GT500 fit under the $125000 cap ???
Easy, they're only like $50k in the US.

And if you're importing it for race only (i.e. don't need to RHD it) it'd be cheap.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post