Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #1

Default Bloody mobile users

All the recent media talk about hoons, speeding, high power cars, drink driving etc, and no mention of what I feel is the biggest safety issue at present. Mobile phone useage.
How many times do you follow a car with the speed flucuating by 20-30kmh, wandering from their lane only to find they are on the phone.
When will authorities get serious and intoduce penalties that reflect the possable consequences of the crime.
Everyone is well aware if you drink drive you will loose your licence, if you speed excessively same story but every second car seems to driven by someone on the phone and it is viewed as acceptable.
Given research shows using a hands free setup your reaction times are similar to low range alcohol, how can useing a phone without hands free or texting be seen as acceptable and cop such a small penalty.
Something is seriously wrong with the present road safety message.

220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220
All the recent media talk about hoons, speeding, high power cars, drink driving etc, and no mention of what I feel is the biggest safety issue at present. Mobile phone useage.
How many times do you follow a car with the speed flucuating by 20-30kmh, wandering from their lane only to find they are on the phone.
When will authorities get serious and intoduce penalties that reflect the possable consequences of the crime.
Everyone is well aware if you drink drive you will loose your licence, if you speed excessively same story but every second car seems to driven by someone on the phone and it is viewed as acceptable.
Given research shows using a hands free setup your reaction times are similar to low range alcohol, how can useing a phone without hands free or texting be seen as acceptable and cop such a small penalty.
Every time I see this behaviour - I let rip with a blast on the horn and a flash of the lights. Amazing how many suddenly have nothing to say and hang up, and then tailgait you once you've passed them. I don't mind that really, at least they're off the phone!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2010, 01:17 PM   #3
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Using a phone attracts a fine and 3 points off your licence in Victoria.

How much more serious do you suggest they make it?
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^^^Double that. Or at least the same as high range PCA.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
^^^^^Double that. Or at least the same as high range PCA.
Agreed, why not, it is a conscious decision to answer the phone even though it is against the law, they will learn or walk!
Old 07-02-2010, 01:23 PM   #6
350125GO
67 Galaxie Hardtop

Whenever I am being tailgated the person is usually on their mobile phone. I sometimes give em a bit of a scare by putting on the brakes for a second or two, helps em realise they are driving stupidly.
350125GO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2010, 01:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503

Same in NSW

Shouldn't the penalties reflect the seriousness of the offence. Drink driving will result in licence cancellation, excessive speeding will see you walking.
Using a phone should have the same result.
The current penalties send the wrong message,
How about a 30 day suspension for a first offence, with increased penalties for repeat offenders.

Maybe they could even use the 3 strikes policy and crush cars of 3 time offenders.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:56 PM   #8
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503

The only problem is that the offender needs to be pretty unlucky to get caught. I very rarely see a police car on the road. 'Safety' cameras dont help at all either.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2010, 02:00 PM   #9
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in nsw a taxi or bus driver looses there public passenger authority if caught twice in 5 years. i agree handheld mobile use is dangerous but while we are on the subject of dangerous activity while driving high on the list is smoking while driving lighting up is a major distraction not to mention a dropped cigarette or hot ash . smoking while driving should be treated like drink driving
puts on flame suit:SaiyanSmi

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #10
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

It's 3 demerit points and a $234 fine here in Victoria.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #11
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350125GO
Whenever I am being tailgated the person is usually on their mobile phone. I sometimes give em a bit of a scare by putting on the brakes for a second or two, helps em realise they are driving stupidly.
That's just as dangerous, if someone is talking on their mobile, their concentration is not focused on the road ahead. You putting on the brakes for a second or two, for no adequate reason, but to give him a scare, leaves you wide open for a fine also when the police find out you just tapped your brakes to get an idiot off your rear end...not to mention the whiplash you will suffer when they don't see your brake lights because they aren't concentrating!

Perhaps just turning your lights on is a far safer option...gets a similar reaction, but only if the person tailgating you is concentrating in the first place!
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #12
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350125GO
My two pet hates, mobile phone use while driving and the guy up your butt too..
Even hands free is a worry because the person starts concentration on what's being said,
you can tell a passenger hang on and they see you're busy.

Anyone on a phone while driving should have a 3 months suspension immediately,
if people pull over and answer the phone in park/neutral and hand brake on, that should be allowed.

Make tailgating within 1-2 car lengths at 60 -100 kph = 4 points an $400 fine,
that way if drivers do it twice in 12 months they can walk for 3 months.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2010, 02:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
dangerous activity while driving high on the list is smoking while driving lighting up is a major distraction not to mention a dropped cigarette or hot ash . smoking while driving should be treated like drink driving
puts on flame suit:SaiyanSmi
Little bit different as most smokers are addicts and the act of lighting up and smoking is more a reflex action, a bit like changing gears in a manual it just happens without much thought.
It is an offence to smoke in a vehical in NSW if any of the passangers are under 16 so they are already part of the way there to a total ban.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #14
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

i spend about 3 hours a day on the phone out of 8.
if i didnt drive whilst talking i would never get any work done.
most of my driving is only done on a doh housing estate so i know the roads better than my own street.
the cops all know me out there and i even get waved at whilst im on the phone.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #15
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and you havent heard of bluetooth hands free or are you exempt from the law???
by your logic it would be ok to drink drive as long as you know you know the streets well, or if your job entails long business lunches it would be ok to drink drive as otherwise you wouldn't get any work done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you won't get much work done when you loose your licence for thinking you are above the law. morons like you should walk

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome
i spend about 3 hours a day on the phone out of 8.
if i didnt drive whilst talking i would never get any work done.
most of my driving is only done on a doh housing estate so i know the roads better than my own street.
the cops all know me out there and i even get waved at whilst im on the phone.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2010, 02:49 PM   #16
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220
I'm alway's talking and txt'ing when i drive.. Even RIGHT now.. Leave me alone.. : : :
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #17
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

thought i would get that sort of reply.
just thought it would be fun to stir the pot.
i use bluetooth in the hilux as i made the boss install it at a cost of 800 bucks, police ended up calling my boss a yaer ago saying one more time that we catch him we will fine him. you need to relax mate.
but everyone has talked on the phone whist driving at one time
Old 07-02-2010, 02:54 PM   #18
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And i love driving along reading my street directory cos i don't have a crappy GPS thingy either.. :
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2010, 03:08 PM   #19

Quote:
thought i would get that sort of reply.
just thought it would be fun to stir the pot.
i use bluetooth in the hilux as i made the boss install it at a cost of 800 bucks, police ended up calling my boss a yaer ago saying one more time that we catch him we will fine him. you need to relax mate.
That is the point I was trying to make people don't view it as a serious offence. 25years ago you could still get away with driving ****ed not nowdays. People make a big fuss about someone driving at a low range alcohol level and remember P drivers are now a zero level but think its OK to use the phone why? Because the current penalties don't reflect the seriousness of the offence.
Loss of licence or jail time would soon get the message across.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:13 PM   #20
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Without upseting any of our female members in my 30,000 kms of driving a year it seems young females are the worse for this behaviour, whether it be they are talking on the phone or txting.... I was on the freeway the other night heading into the city and there was a girl in the middle lane on the phone doing 80 all over the place.. Talk about a danger to themselves and every other poor human being who shares the same roads.

In saying that however I seen a young P plater male on the phone the other day too with the window down, did i blow him up!! LOL!! They are already inexperienced enough without having the distraction of a phone in their hand..

Disgraceful.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #21
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

the cops dont care about it unless you lie to them and tell them you wernt on the phone.
the good thing is that it is becoming in my view less common as a lot of new cars are coming with bluetooth as standard. both my hilux and the xr8 have it.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:52 PM   #22
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Driving along while at work, i would have to say at least 1 in every 10 cars that pass me or i pass, someone is on the phone.

They need to enforce the no phone law more tbh.
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #23
cobbadan

Every second truck driver is on the phone too.

I drive for a living and everyday i'm at work i will see on average 7-8 people on the phone or texting and im not even looking for it, thats just the ones that stand out cos they're wandering into my lane or doing something else that stupid.

So how many cop cars both marked and unmarked are on the roads every day ???
Why cant they see them ???

They are great cars but the build quality is crap
cobbadan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2010, 04:35 PM   #24
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbadan
Every second truck driver is on the phone too.

I drive for a living and everyday i'm at work i will see on average 7-8 people on the phone or texting and im not even looking for it, thats just the ones that stand out cos they're wandering into my lane or doing something else that stupid.

So how many cop cars both marked and unmarked are on the roads every day ???
Why cant they see them ???
Yes truck drivers are bad for it.. Mostly because no transport companies bother installing bluetooth kits in their trucks because A) the trucks too noisey inside for it to work properly and B) too many driver change overs they would have issues with bluetooth connections.

I hope that someone like Kenworth soon make a bluetooth kit available fully integrated in the truck that actually works, coz standard car ones dont seem to, unless you drive a Volvo
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2010, 04:38 PM   #25
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

starting to get off topic but truck cbs are they aloud to use them or is it the same kind of rule for phones. also found out the other day that you cant drink [coke] and drive
Old 07-02-2010, 05:19 PM   #26
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
starting to get off topic but truck cbs are they aloud to use them or is it the same kind of rule for phones. also found out the other day that you cant drink [coke] and drive
i use the CB frequently while driving, even past the plod with no issues.

And Kenworth wont put full integrated bluetooth in, hell they only just started putting airbags into selected models.

And the Volvo kit is useless, so pathetic that work ended up putting phone kits in the new 520's instead.
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2010, 09:45 PM   #27
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Simple solution. If you absolutely need to talk on a phone, then use Bluetooth. At least both hands are on the wheel. I have Bluetooth on my Fiesta, but even still that's just as distracting, so is listening to music or if you have too much on your mind your driving suffers. Even the voice control unit on my car is distracting, the signs on the side of the road are distracting, I could go on. We all know talking on your mobile is illegal, but it's just common sense to not do it and while we can fine people till they are bankrupt, we can't give them a brain and tell them to use it...
Old 08-02-2010, 10:14 AM   #28
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
in nsw a taxi or bus driver looses there public passenger authority if caught twice in 5 years.
Didn't know that. I hope the cabbie I shopped in Sydney for doing just that when I was in the back of his cab hadn't been reported before (and hasn't been since) or he's out of a job then. Although to be frank, he deserved to lose his licence on the spot anyway.

Speaking of 'phones, I have a good solution which stops me from using my 'phone in my car - a loud exhaust. It's true, loud pipes save lives! Even if I wanted to I'd never be able to hear a damn thing on my 'phone in my car if I'm driving along. Works for me!

Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2010, 10:44 AM   #29
lemon
The "Rose"

I was waiting for a car that was reversing to a car parkwhile on the phone,taking there time,soI went on the horn,and I was yelled at. :
Old 08-02-2010, 01:03 PM   #30
left
Lady Leadfoot

A few weeks ago in outer Melbourne I was behind a little red car weaving all over the road. When I was finally able to pass her, I s*** you not, it turns out she had a mobile to her ear with one hand and the other hand had a large ceramic mug of (presumably) a hot drink of some sort

The funny thing is these sort of people have no idea how stupid they are!

Quote:
Um, no.

Quote:
Building sites on a hot day: the females equivalent to a strip club
left is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post