Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 28-01-2010, 12:34 PM   #1
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default cam belt

Just checked in the "tech specs" of the focus and the 5 cylinder duratec has a belt driven cam timing belt - I have seen what happens if one of these snap to engines - what is the service/replace interval on these anybody know? I sure as ******** don't want to snap one - thanks people

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

It'll be in the service schedule (the little book the dealer stamps when you service the car) you'll find it'll be somewhere between 100 150 thousand ks. I'm not sure exactly.
It's not something you need to worry about in new cars.

The donor car I got the engine for my GFs car that I'm building had about 220 thou on the clock and when I asked the guy I bought it off if it has had a timing belt change he just looked at me funny and said "timing belt?". That said, the internals of that engine were remarkably tidy when I striped it down.

The belt is still uber important to be in good nick, and a good service will check the belt a long time before the manual says it's due.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

I just RTFM ( :P )

sez replace every 180,000 kms (which is pretty long) or every 10yrs.
Also says to do the auxilary drive belts too. Which is also just as important, ac and p/steer not so much but if this engine has some form of balance shaft that is belt driven (I'm not sure if they do or not) they can break or seize and lunch your motor just as easily. They're quite often over looked with timing belt replacements too.

Not that you'll need to worry about that with a brand new car, but it's something to look out for in older cars.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
casabonka
You can call me Chris

pretty certain the standard Duratec is 180kms also. My old lancer needed to be changed between 80-100, so 180 is HEAPS long. Dont think mine will ever be changed!
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
Imolator
Quad Cam

The Duratec engine in the LS/LT/LV use a chain to drive the cams, so no belt change interval.
Imolator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imolator
The Duratec engine in the LS/LT/LV use a chain to drive the cams, so no belt change interval.
the specs listed by russell indicate the XR5's have a belt for cam drive and the other ones have a chain? are you sure about this? I can see this being quite important down the line when these cars get some k's on them

and by the way your avatar makes me dizzy

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2010, 05:32 PM   #7
mohit

On the Duratec 2.0L petrol engine the timing chain is recommended to be checked and changed at 240,000 km.
mohit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2010, 09:56 AM   #8
Imolator
Quad Cam

Mohit are you getting that from the sevice book? I have the Haynes Workshop manual it only lists changing the cambelt for the 1.4 and 1.6 engines we dont get here. Although the XR5 has a cambelt as well.

I'm not sure what the diesel focus uses to drive the camshafts.

There is no specified service interval for the Duratec HE chain driven cam, not in the Haynes manual anyway, and as for the Ford warranty assistance and service guide book I'd always double check what it says.

For instance it states that the spark plug gap for the 2.0 focus is 1.0mm when it is actually 1.3mm. (page 26)

It also describes the 2.0l He engine as having a cam belt when it has a chain drive. (page 34)

I have not found Ford to be very accurate with their Euroford service guides my WQ Fiesta also had lots of inacuracies.
Old 29-01-2010, 10:51 AM   #9
mohit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imolator

Mohit are you getting that from the sevice book? I have the Haynes Workshop manual it only lists changing the cambelt for the 1.4 and 1.6 engines we dont get here. Although the XR5 has a cambelt as well.

There is no specified service interval for the Duratec HE chain driven cam, not in the Haynes manual anyway, and as for the Ford warranty assistance and service guide book I'd always double check what it says.
Yes from the Ford service book that came with our 2006 LS Focus
mohit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #10
Imolator
Quad Cam

Well it definetly has a chain drive not a belt.

http://www.burtonpower.com/technical_1/duratec_he.aspx