Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-01-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default What defines a Hoon?

With all this talk of crushing hoon cars etc I thought i'd throw the question out there. What would be the definition of a hoon?

Are they going to have powers to determine it on the spot and the car gets crushed no questions? If someone gets a bit of wheel spin taking off or if they accelerate a bit quick are they deemed a hoon?

Personally I think we need to be careful about the proceedure going forward. At this stage the police impound the car no questions asked no recourse to get it back. Take the mechanic in the lambo example. What if we had crush laws, does the owner lose his lambo?

I hope the government doesn't get into a knee jerk populist approach with any new laws the introduce and they think very carefully about how they implement this if they do. As a reasonably young person driving a nice shiny V8 I dont want some jealous cop crushing my car because I got to the speed limit a bit quick for his taste.

SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #2
chuckles
formerly lorosfalcon

i got pulled over a few months back because the cop said "you were using excessive acceleration which constitutes dangerous driving". Never got a fine but got a written warning. soon they will have cameras measuring how fast you accelerate from a set of lights and fine you for it
XForce 2 1/2 exhaust with hidden tip
Battery in boot
Textralia clutuch
T56 conversion
King Springs SL front SSL rear
Pedders shocks
PBR upgrade front brakes
20" koya rush II wheels (street/show)
17" Enkei WRC Tarmac evo wheels (fun)
5% tint
Polk Audio 5x7 speakers
Option Audio 500WRMS amp
Clarion dual voice coil 15" sub in box
TO COME:
Typhoon engine conversion
chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That doesn't make sense. since when is acceleration dangerous, unless you get it sideways or something?

maybe they'll charge people for pollution if they smoke their tires?
aussie muscle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 11:56 AM   #4
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

This is a really bad law as it's the police that decides, it should be a court matter. I mean I don't go around hooning, but every now and then I give the GT a sqirt from a set of light. Like nothing bad just first to second let off in 3rd which comes pretty natural for an old car. But this would be classed as hooning and then what? They crush an original XBGT. Then instead of being a traffic offender, I become a murderer because the way I feel about my car, I might lose it. Look I don't go around looking to race people or go to illegal burnouts or anything along those lines. I'm just a car enthusiast that only gets the car out for club runs, car shows and swap meets. I know they want to stop hooning but I think this is abit drastic. Unless your a repeat offender and you're just aren't getting it.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i wonder if anyone ever got a fine for riding a horse and cart too fast back in the day.....
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
91'dSpecEB
The Magic Of O-Pan

Have to agree this whole 'hoon' thing has been blown waay out of proportion. Its suicide being a P plate driver these days. Anything to nab you for something. I dont break the speed limit but i too enjoy getting to 50 or 60 a bit quick, sometimes your just in the mood, whats the big deal if your not going past the limit..?
91'dSpecEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 12:43 PM   #7
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Agreed there no difference if you accelerate quickly to 60 from a set of lights, to if the light was already green and you come though at 60.
Old 21-01-2010, 12:46 PM   #8
91'dSpecEB
The Magic Of O-Pan

Good point!
91'dSpecEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 12:59 PM   #9
TasXR6
Starter Motor

Unfortunately there is a law stating "excess acceleration" or driving for public display of acceleration. Like sustained loss of traction, they wont book you if you accidentally loose traction off the lights from being a bit dopey with the clutch, but if you rev it up and dump it and then hold the foot down to keep it going, your done. Same sort of thing goes for acceleration, if you take off and go to 60 quickly, your unlikely to get booked, but if you slam it to firewall, even if you dont break traction but it is clear you are flooring it, you could be booked.

In my experience as a last year P plater in tassie, the cops arent often truly unfair. Ive been pulled over once for speeding back when I was displaying P's, i was doing 104kmh and the officer had a chat to me about agreeing that 80 was a bit of a pain on a highway run, but 104 was excessive. He told me to continue on at a speed I thought was reasonable.

Also, I have been pulled up for spinning my wheels in the wet, when it let go i pushed a little further across the lights and let the one wheel wonder continue, right in front of an unmarked. He pulled me and asked what that was, and I said im sorry, i was being stupid and spun my wheels in the wet. He told me it was cause for a "sustained loss of traction" fine, but he said as i was straight up about deliberately being a dick, he wrote me a warning.

I dont see a problem if your not being a retread.
Clarion CD/MP3/USB Head Unit | Clarion 6.5" Splits in front | Clarion 6.5" 3 way coaxials in rear | 10" 400w Response Dual 2ohm Coil Subwoofer | Respose 4 x 50w (2x 320w into 2ohm) Amplifier | MOMO Contoured Leather Wheel | 16" Tickford XR6 Wheels | Fairmont Trip Computer | 2.5" Sports Exhaust
TasXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #10
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its just a word guys... we make too much of it i think.

Old 21-01-2010, 01:04 PM   #11
SVTVNM
Guzzler

Anyone who doesn't sit 10kays under the speed limt, and anyone who doesnt have a knitted blanket on the back seat.
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 01:06 PM   #12
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensationFG8
With all this talk of crushing hoon cars etc I thought i'd throw the question out there. What would be the definition of a hoon?

Well it dates back to the 1930's in Oz and those people across the tasman. It then meant:

1. a procurer of prostitutes, but not a pimp
2.a showoff with limited intelligence
3.a flashy lout or hooligan
4. one who drives in a dangerous, showing-off manner

In the 80's it became:

1. exhibitionist, loutish behaviour.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 01:14 PM   #13
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Well it dates back to the 1930's in Oz and those people across the tasman. It then meant:

1. a procurer of prostitutes, but not a pimp
2.a showoff with limited intelligence
3.a flashy lout or hooligan
4. one who drives in a dangerous, showing-off manner
Did you ever get called a hoon back then Wally?

Old 21-01-2010, 01:16 PM   #14
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
yes it is just a word, but there are many others that can be used in a derogatory way that the swear filter doesn't like, this word has been made into a derogatory term by the media in the eyes of the public, yes its just a word but one that gets used in a derogatory way toward a specific group .. ring some bells?

what say we add it to the swear filter, it offends me

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 03:37 PM   #15
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Handling
Option
Overdrive
Nanny

It's only a word, as has been previously mentioned.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 03:45 PM   #16
just_pazz
Ford Convert

anyone who drives a modded vehicle....
just_pazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #17
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a hoon to me is someone who doesnt mind ripping a great skid but is also a top bloke who would help you move house or assemble a gazebo
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 03:58 PM   #18
TasXR6
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_pazz
anyone who drives a modded vehicle....
Its almost percieved that way the general populace. I know around here (launceston, tas) there are quite a few modified cars (as a percentage of the total cars) and of which most come out at night. I too am guilty of going for a drive of an evening to meet some friends and have a chat in a car park. But mostly it is entertaining to watch the f-tards that will drive their old magna/pintara/pulsar/excel far more dangerously than the people with the "modified" cars.

And the police down here at least seem to realise that, as very often I have seen a clearly borderline modified car roll on by a squaddie, and a stock magna/pintara/pulsar/excel and often it is the latter that has been pulled.

Police around here seem to be pretty reasonable..
Clarion CD/MP3/USB Head Unit | Clarion 6.5" Splits in front | Clarion 6.5" 3 way coaxials in rear | 10" 400w Response Dual 2ohm Coil Subwoofer | Respose 4 x 50w (2x 320w into 2ohm) Amplifier | MOMO Contoured Leather Wheel | 16" Tickford XR6 Wheels | Fairmont Trip Computer | 2.5" Sports Exhaust
TasXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 04:05 PM   #19
Fairmont Man

Hey guys, just wanted to add my 2 cents worth. To me there is a difference between a hoon or hooning and speeding. A hoon for me is someone who basically drives recklessly, such as throwing the car sideways around most corners, doing burnouts and donuts, excessive speeding in built up areas, zipping in and out of traffic and leaving every set of lights in a cloud of smoke. On the other hand, someone on a well made and maintained road such as the Hume Freeway, or sections of the Princes Highway, or other major highways who gets up to 130, 140, or maybe 150km/h, I wouldn't describe as a hoon. They are just speeding, plain and simple. I'd also think one to be far more dangerous than the other. I think you can be speeding as defined under the law without having the hoon element, but doubt that many hoons don't speed.

Just my point of view, and there sure is alot of debate on it at the moment.
Fairmont Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 04:06 PM   #20
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxr
Handling
Option
Overdrive
Nanny

It's only a word, as has been previously mentioned.
It may be "only a word" but if it is enshrined in law with very real consequences then it has effectively become more than that.
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 04:09 PM   #21
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

A hoon I think is based on a person or persons behaving in a manner that draws unnecessary attention to themselves while in ANY type of vehicle. Whether it be accelerating too fast, speeding, burnouts, stereos too loud or revving their engine unnecessarily, It is not and should never be about the vehicle.

A 'hoon' will demonstrate their behavior in what ever vehicle they want. It doesnt matter what brand, stock or modified. The 'person' whom is operating the vehicle at the time should be penalized.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #22
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't say MODS = HOON, I certainly hope not.. to me, MODS = UNIQUE. I would say a hoon is someone who does things in their car that compromise their control of the vehicle eg; 140 in an 80 zone, skids beyond the little traffic light chirp, drifting etc.. Calder Park and the likes are places for those who are that way inclined to enjoy their 'hoon' tendencies in an environment where they only pose a risk to themselves, a risk that can't be eliminated. Those who do this at intersections, streets and freeways shared by the public are hoons to me.
Do what you like with your car and your life in a designated area, maybe you'l get lucky and hit a wall of tyres.. do it on the roads and there's every chance you'll kill a mother and her kids before you kill yourself.

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild
jamesson1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 04:13 PM   #23
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

.. haha despite how that sounds it's not aimed at YOU the reader! More to a wouldbe Hoon.

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild
jamesson1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 04:58 PM   #24
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Hoon is just a word. Well so is racist and I wouldn't want to be labeled of either.

Last edited by XBROO; 21-01-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 21-01-2010, 05:45 PM   #25
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
A word which defines an illegal form of Behaviour. I think a clear definition is warranted given you can be fined for being one.

In NSW, while the term "Hoon" is not defined specifically, hoon behaviour is said to be "a driver who commits a street racing or aggravated burnout offence".
Street racing, which includes hard acceleration, even if you are the only car on the road at the time.

Basically a Hoon is whoever the Police at the time define it to be. It comes down to their judgement, so long as you are driving aggressively.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 06:04 PM   #26
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Whats stopping corrupt cops from labelling you one for their 'quota' or own personal vendetta?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 06:07 PM   #27
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

By definition I am going for a hoon to the shop for some milk...............

Would or could do something hoon worthty in my drive by vague definition :eclipsee_

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 06:10 PM   #28
EBW-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

According to the news, hoons are even graffiti artists, people starting fights in the street, etc..
Pretty sure most cops see modified car owners as hoons, were all screwed, lol!

phat GUARD ROLLING | 0429 093 302 | facebook
"CHEAPEST GUARD ROLLING IN MELBOURNE"
EBW-302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 06:11 PM   #29
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Fuller explains for hoons it is about what the car can do and the status that it gives. He says hoons see the public roads as a resource they can use for their own purposes and not something to share. He says loud stereos are about taking over this shared resource, like marking their territory. Wayne says when he drives in Adelaide people don’t let him change lanes. Fuller says this is a version of hoon driving. He says the definition of a hoon begins as soon as a driver stops thinking about the road as a shared resource.
SA's top cop on his version of hooning... looks like alot of cars are going to be crushed at this rate.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 06:14 PM   #30
just_pazz
Ford Convert

I remember a media report a couple of months back where some kids where throwing rocks off of a overpass at oncoming cars.... smashing someones windscreen in the process.

They were referred to as "hoons".
just_pazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post