Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 13-01-2010, 09:04 PM   #1
Kaotiktheory
Starter Motor

Default Fuel economy

Hey there guys! New to the forums here!

Just bought myself a brand new Fiesta Zetec and have yet to fill her up yet. I was just wondering how many kms people are getting from a full tank? They say 6.1\100km but that's in a perfect world and I seriously doubt those are real world figures.

Any new fiesta owners out there have any real world stats for me?

Thanks in advance guys!

Kaotiktheory is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Welcome to the forum and congrats and welcome to the Fiesta

I have a 3-Door MK7 Zetec and I'm getting 6.5L/100km on average. I do two short trips to work everyday, a fair bit of traffic light driving though Toowoomba doesn't have bad congestion, and a few major road trips. Normally it's just me in the car, but on big trips it's dropped to as low at 4.6L/100km. Did a trip on the weekend and averaged 5.3L/100km with cruise control and air-con on all the way. Not bad. I tend to be an aggressive driver, brake late, speed up hard, so I reckon the fuel economy figures can be achieved easily with a manual.

Keep in mind these figures are from the trip computer, which has been proven to be at least 5% off.
Old 13-01-2010, 11:41 PM   #3
Kaotiktheory
Starter Motor

Hey there RapidTyphoon,

Thanks for sharing that info. Very different to what I'm getting.

I live in central sydney and I do lots of short trips. But in no way am I pushing her at all. I always try to keep the revs below 2.5k, and so far the computer is saying I'm averaging 10.7/100k... (even after reseting it a couple of times) which has made me worry abit... hhhmmm... Since one of the main reasons I bought it was because how fuel friendly its supposed to be!

I read on another forum here that there was some sort of software update that helped?? hmmm... I'll see how much I get on a full tank and go from there.
Old 14-01-2010, 09:00 AM   #4
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also is it an auto or manual?

the auto's that most have on here seem to get quite a bit worse economy than the manual versions...

plus if you've just brought it new sometimes it will use a bit more fuel because its really tight still.
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 10:13 AM   #5
Dustproof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotiktheory
Hey there RapidTyphoon,

Thanks for sharing that info. Very different to what I'm getting.

I live in central sydney and I do lots of short trips. But in no way am I pushing her at all. I always try to keep the revs below 2.5k, and so far the computer is saying I'm averaging 10.7/100k... (even after reseting it a couple of times) which has made me worry abit... hhhmmm... Since one of the main reasons I bought it was because how fuel friendly its supposed to be!

I read on another forum here that there was some sort of software update that helped?? hmmm... I'll see how much I get on a full tank and go from there.
I do short drives to work and runs on weekends, I get 7.5L 100Km. I have done some long runs over Christmas and am currently doing 6.6L 100Km. If I don't use the Aircond it would be better, I also try to keep engine revs low and not push hard. The Fuel consumption could be better.
Old 14-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #6
Kaotiktheory
Starter Motor

Thanks GoesLikeAZetec

Yep I've got the manual and its brand spanking new. Just hit 200km.

I always assumed that the indicated 6.1/100km was not going to be achievable, but 10.7/100km is a little too high for me. Still I'll use up a tank and see how I go.
Old 14-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'm mainly highway and I've got just over 3000km on my car, last fillup before the service its been doing 6.3L/100km and thats with redline here and there and holding some gears out to 5000RPM etc. If I drive it with fuel economy in mind I reckon I can get it in the 5L mark.

I took it up mount macedon once and used 1/4 fuel tank in 70km haha and that was absolutely hammering it.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
Keyan
Starter Motor

Kaotiktheory, when you just pick your car up from dealership, 10.7/100km is normal, as I known some dealership will keep the engine running when they do the pre-delivery check-up. So, the trip computer will register a amazing number.

When i first time pick my car, the DTE shown only about 3xx km to empty, and it is almost full tank of fuel. before 1000km, the consumption is up and down, after that, my Zetec 3dr is doing about 6.0-6.5L, and it is quite stable!

good luck!
Keyan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
Kaotiktheory
Starter Motor

Thanks again for all the advice guys! I'll wait it out until I've broken in my car a little more! hehe... she's still oh so young!
Old 14-01-2010, 06:38 PM   #10
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive noticed when I fill mine up at the servo... If I watch the fuel consumption for the first 3kms of leaving the servo, where Im stopping at lights and going up the hill towards home, it sits at like 10 or 11... but by the end of the tank its usually around 6.3-6.4ltrs...

Also if you want really good economy you gotta keep be changing at 3,000rpm max ive found so far..

If you want it to go though.... You gotta be going toward that lovely 6 number on the tacho
Old 14-01-2010, 06:57 PM   #11
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just can't help but go to 5000 RPM. It just hammers after the magical 3500 RPM mark and the engine note isn't too shabby either. Having the ECOnetic models Shift Indicator would definitely aid fuel economy though.

Just for reference, mine was doing 18L/100km when I picked it up :-)
Old 14-01-2010, 10:40 PM   #12
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can drive around town at better than the 6.1L/100 but I don't know if I would get that in Sydney. Still it wouldn't be too far off. Under 5.0 on the highway on a good road is quite possible. So give it a bit of time, see how you are going once there's a few thousand ks on it. Ours was pretty bad early on
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2010, 11:12 PM   #13
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep the little engine goes off once you get the needle on the high side... peak torque isnt till 4000 anyways.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidTyphoon
I just can't help but go to 5000 RPM. It just hammers after the magical 3500 RPM mark and the engine note isn't too shabby either. Having the ECOnetic models Shift Indicator would definitely aid fuel economy though.

Just for reference, mine was doing 18L/100km when I picked it up :-)
Old 15-01-2010, 05:52 PM   #14
thndr
Starter Motor

our little zetec is just about at the 15000 km mark and we are getting 6.0 litres pre hundred regularly, thats a bit of city and highway driving everyday. if i drive it for economy i can get it down to 5.6 - 5.7 but as you guys say the temptation to push it is just to great most of the time. by the way anyone noticed just how sluggish they are between 2500 and just before 3000 rpm? it feels quite wierd sometimes to put your foot down and theres just nothing there.
thndr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2010, 07:11 PM   #15
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

My WS (manual) is 6 months old and I've done 12,000kms ...

I don't have a trip computer -- I've got a CL.

I filled the tank to 1 click before I left, and re-filled at the same pump, same servo when I returned. All with 98RON.

Over 420kms, I used 24.9 litres of fuel, sitting on 110km/h 95% of the trip.

That works out at 5.9L/100km. No airconditioning but a bit of aggressive overtaking here and there.

That's the best figure I've got so far --- that's caluclating myself and not relying on the computer.
Fiesta God is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2010, 07:21 PM   #16
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's pretty good, ours is going in for another service in 5K and another software update, will be interesting to see how that goes. Also the front tyres had to be replaced today at just over 40K if you were wondering how long they last . It also got it's first shopping dent sometime in the last couple of days grrrrr, in a really hard spot too right on the rear wheel arch (double layer panel). Replaced the Tyres with Maxxis (Z1's I think) they have a very tall tread so might last a bit better, we will see
Old 15-01-2010, 10:45 PM   #17
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

green foam how worn were the fronts at 40k?

were all the tyres at the indicators or did they wear on the insides?

did you have the continentals?
Old 16-01-2010, 09:21 AM   #18
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nup had the Hankooks and yes exactly on all the indicators at 40k, with perfect even wear across the tyre, they have been at 38psi from day one. I think the rears will go another 20k at least. The car only drives on very coarse roads so I thought that was pretty good. I haven't driven the car properly yet with the Maxxis's but the wife says they are fine (just as good)
Old 16-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #19
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Mine is due for the 15,000kms service soon, and I haven't had the software updated since I bought the car (they didn't do it at 3000kms).

Mine was a fairly early build (May registered) WS, so it will be interesting to see if I get the same fuel economy improvements as you did greenfoam.

I've had the Hankooks on the car since new, not nearly as many kms as yourself but they are hardly worn. I'm very impressed.
Fiesta God is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 11:48 PM   #20
Kaotiktheory
Starter Motor

Hey guys!

Ok update time. I'm sitting on 400km mark on my beautiful new Fiesta. I'm driving as calmly and as quietly as possible... and still on the 10.5L/100km's average mark.

Pretty shocking actually. But everyone's saying to give her some time to break in. Also, I'm not sure if it's got the latest software update that apparently helps with the fuel efficiency.

We'll see...
Old 02-02-2010, 11:31 AM   #21
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a WQ auto Zetec and 10l per 100kms is what I get and that is normal ,according to FORD, for the auto. I get 480 kms per tank before low fuel light comes on. It has had the ecu flash upgrade made some difference. The WS has a 1.4 with the auto, might have to work harder. The WP and WQ are 1.6 motors.
I agree, for a small car, fuel economy isn't the best. Plus it runs on 98 !!
Old 02-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #22
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try running it on 95 RON. I've noticed my car uses less fuel on 95 RON than it does with 98 RON. Strange I know, my WP was the opposite so perhaps the autos are opposite to the manuals haha? I'm just glad I could the manual, more power, better fuel economy, better shift, better all round...
Old 02-02-2010, 01:20 PM   #23
BrisVegas
Noobie

We've got 3500km on ours now and we seem to get 6.5l/100km on average for a mix of city/highway driving. Mind you, it's always loaded up with 2 adults and 2 kids (and paraphernalia on board). I can see how it would easily get into the 5's on a long highway run.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #24
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I got 5.2 on a trip just recently with 2 up and luggage... and usually 6.5-6.8 around town...

Everyone here with the auto's seems to get worse fuel economy... The 1.4 just seems too small mated to that auto...
Old 11-02-2010, 12:16 PM   #25
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did a check on my WQ ZETEC, auto, it has done 23k and running on 95 RON.
I got 7.77l per 100kms. not even close to what Ford claims !!!!
Old 11-02-2010, 01:24 PM   #26
lukee20
Starter Motor

Mine is a WS 1.6 manual, and the economy is shocking so far, Currently sitting on 9.0L for this tank of vPower,and ive been driving like miss daisy to try and get the economy down. Anyone know whats going on? The best econ. I had was 8.4 on normal unleaded...
lukee20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #27
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukee20
Mine is a WS 1.6 manual, and the economy is shocking so far, Currently sitting on 9.0L for this tank of vPower,and ive been driving like miss daisy to try and get the economy down. Anyone know whats going on? The best econ. I had was 8.4 on normal unleaded...
Have you had the ECU Flashed ? mine was like my Falcon until the Flash upgrade.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #28
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guys Ford's figures are just for show. We should all know this by now. You only have to look at the economy claims of some other cars, but put them in the real world and it all goes out the window. How these tests are conducted is stupid, in a controlled environment with bugger all of what we encounter in normal daily driving. If economy is an issue when buying a car you shouldn't rely solely on these claims, these are just for show and comparison so you can compare fuel usage equally against competitors. You should test the car for a few hours or a day and see if it'll do what you think it should. Everyone has different expectations. In saying all that all you drivers must have lead bricks in the boot, I average under 6.0L/100km with 50/50 country and city driving. On nice smooth roads my consumption hits mid fours, and around town mid six and I do not drive like a baby. In-fact I find if you drive like a baby the consumption gets worse around town. Give em some boot and let them rip!

(I refer my consumption to other manual WS Fiestas, have no clue what normal figures any auto Fiesta should get)
Old 11-02-2010, 04:36 PM   #29
lukee20
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Have you had the ECU Flashed ? mine was like my Falcon until the Flash upgrade.
Nah, my cars only done 1300kms - bought it last month, build date was Oct, so i assumed it would have the latest flash?
lukee20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 02:17 AM   #30
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukee20
Nah, my cars only done 1300kms - bought it last month, build date was Oct, so i assumed it would have the latest flash?
Wouldn't hurt too check ?