Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-12-2009, 11:20 PM   #1
russxr67
I hate ricers

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always seems to post good advice and is pretty helpful. 
Default buying a new van. which one? Iload?

Hey guys ,I am a tradie and am going to upgrade while the govt has the incentive scheme going (ends 31st) .

I currently have a 1999 Hiace van and it has been terrific on the durability front .

Alas,the current offering from Toyota is still much in the same vein as the old model ,and the pricing is not competitive at all . I am seeing a ton of the Hyundai I loads around. Took a 2.4 petrol and one of the turbo diesel models out for a spin today and the diesel came up trumps. Has a 4 star crash rating as well .

Anyone else got one of these vans?
Are they good?

russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2009, 11:48 PM   #2
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

I know they are in short supply, but (blue glasses coming on) have you tried the Transit? It is a very good van from what I have heard - makes the Hiace look a little cheap in the interior and a few other areas aswell - HERE.
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 12:04 AM   #3
russxr67
I hate ricers

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always seems to post good advice and is pretty helpful. 

Looks too boxy in shape if you ask me. And its a front wheel drive as well.
Old 22-12-2009, 12:07 AM   #4
charlie200
please insert coins

Stay away from the Transit's,mine has something constantly wrong with it and its a 2007 model with 90,000 km.Even every Ford mechanic i have spoken to hate the Transit's
The hiace's we have at work have nearly 200,000 km on them with no problems at all with them.
Old 22-12-2009, 12:17 AM   #5
4VCLEVO
XA GT

I know what you mean about the hiace, I've been driveing them for the last 10 years. For my next van I was leaning toward vito or the VW but they are expensive. On paper the iload does look the goods. I did have a mitsubishi express for a year and a half, I wouldn't get one again.
Old 22-12-2009, 12:40 AM   #6
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russxr67
Looks too boxy in shape if you ask me. And its a front wheel drive as well.
Weird all the transits we have at work are rwd, they arent all brand new though.

What about the Mercedes vans? rather popular these days.
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 01:04 AM   #7
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can get a FWD Transit, but its only the base model 2.2L Diesel.

If the guy was talking about the iLoad, its actually RWD.

The Transit is a much better van than a Hiace in every regard except reliability. The Hiace is so damn uncomfortable, clutch action is all wrong, noisy, expensive, gutless, unsafe, under-tyred and under-braked. But it has the most important feature of a commercial vehicle, reliability.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 01:18 AM   #8
russxr67
I hate ricers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copie
Weird all the transits we have at work are rwd, they arent all brand new though.

What about the Mercedes vans? rather popular these days.

I'd like to get something that is popular so that servicing and parts are relatively inexpensive. The Mercedes and VW are prolly too expensive to maintain and insure .
Old 22-12-2009, 01:24 AM   #9
russxr67
I hate ricers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4VCLEVO
I know what you mean about the hiace, I've been driveing them for the last 10 years. For my next van I was leaning toward vito or the VW but they are expensive. On paper the iload does look the goods. I did have a mitsubishi express for a year and a half, I wouldn't get one again.

My first van was a mitsi. It will be my last mitsi as well. That thing was cursed.

It was the biggest chunk of I have ever owned.

I was driving home from work one night after working from 7am thru to 1 am. On the way home the left hand rear wheel and axle departed company with the rest of the van as we took a left hander. Never again .

Last edited by fairmont1998; 24-12-2009 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Don't avoid the swear filter.
Old 22-12-2009, 01:30 AM   #10
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'd like to get something that is popular so that servicing and parts are relatively inexpensive. The Mercedes and VW are prolly too expensive to maintain and insure .
The Merc vans we use are Mercedes Vito's (not the giant square ones you see motorbike wannabe's using but the smaller version)

They cant be too bad for servicing cost or Aus post wouldnt use them.
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 10:03 AM   #11
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

i dont know difference on prices or reliability in the long run or even how it compares to other vans, but one of my bosses uses a old 2001 transit, the other uses a brand new renault and the renault is soooo mcuh nicer, its jsut easier to ge tin and out of it and with a tall roof you can literally jump in the back without having to duck.
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 10:35 AM   #12
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The i-load, in much the same vain as the i-30, is part of the new Hyundai and you can bet your last dollar that it will be great to drive and rightly priced to boot. What you need to ask yourself is how reliable it will be, because no-one knows for sure..... What are the warranty terms for commercial use? Didn't Hyundai have some u beaut warranty, like five years?
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 10:42 AM   #13
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
The i-load, in much the same vain as the i-30, is part of the new Hyundai and you can bet your last dollar that it will be great to drive and rightly priced to boot. What you need to ask yourself is how reliable it will be, because no-one knows for sure..... What are the warranty terms for commercial use? Didn't Hyundai have some u beaut warranty, like five years?
The good thing about Hyundai / Kia is that any model sold here has been on the roads in Korea for at least 6-12 months prior to being sold here.

So our series one model will be their series 2. Meaning a lot of the bugs have been resolved.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 10:59 AM   #14
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
My first van was a mitsi. It will be my last mitsi as well. That thing was cursed.
It was the biggest chunk of I have ever owned.

I was driving home from work one night after working from 7am thru to 1 am. On the way home the left hand rear wheel and axle departed company with the rest of the van as we took a left hander. Never again .

Brilliant post, maybe its a little bit of jetlag but I laughed my head off.
I don't know what it is with mitsubishis and wheels departing; my brother in law had a magna where the wheel and axle left the vehicle in a corner on South Dowling Street (80kmh zone).
Maybe the guy that oversaw the installation of axles and hubs at Mitsubishi was a chronic alcoholic and always off his face.
Remember the vans that had MITSUBISHI on the back in big black letters?
How many times would people rearrange them to read ITS ?

Quote:
Powered by GE

Last edited by fairmont1998; 24-12-2009 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Quotes edited post
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 11:31 AM   #15
Windsor220
Now Fordless

I worked at Mitsubishi for 7 years and we never had any issues with the Express axles. They were fairly reliable but just basic and not very safe (1 star safety rating).
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 01:09 PM   #16
russxr67
I hate ricers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
I worked at Mitsubishi for 7 years and we never had any issues with the Express axles. They were fairly reliable but just basic and not very safe (1 star safety rating).

The early iteration of the model (which is still in the same form I might add) had a lok nut type setup that had tangs which you bent over to keep the nut from backing out.

It was hopeless. The nut would invariably come loose on a regular basis so i would have to pull the axle and tighten it all the time. As a consequence the rear brakes were always drenched in diff oil because it would not seal .

I'm pretty sure they did away with that design in subsequent models. Thank God.

Just about anything that could go wrong did .
Old 22-12-2009, 01:12 PM   #17
russxr67
I hate ricers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Brilliant post, maybe its a little bit of jetlag but I laughed my head off.
I don't know what it is with mitsubishis and wheels departing; my brother in law had a magna where the wheel and axle left the vehicle in a corner on South Dowling Street (80kmh zone).
Maybe the guy that oversaw the installation of axles and hubs at Mitsubishi was a chronic alcoholic and always off his face.
Remember the vans that had MITSUBISHI on the back in big black letters?
How many times would people rearrange them to read ITS ?

Glad you got a laugh out of that ltd.

As you could imagine I wasn't laughing when it happened.
Old 22-12-2009, 01:18 PM   #18
russxr67
I hate ricers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32

The Iload comes with 5 year/160,000 kms warranty and 1 year roadside assistance which is another great selling point.

I have had the oppurtunity to drive both the petrol and turbocharged diesel variants and whilst the diesel is $4500 more exxy it makes a bucket load more torque. Kw's are pretty much similar but the difference in torque is in the vicinity of 150nm. It boogies for a van and is the most comfortable van I have driven ever.

And....it has a 4 star crash rating because the engine is in the front as it has more crumple zone.
Old 22-12-2009, 01:46 PM   #19
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
....and is the most comfortable van I have driven ever.

That to me, would be a MASSIVE selling point. If your van is your office, then the iload would be hard to go past.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 03:00 PM   #20
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had an i-Max as a family rental in Queensland recently. It's basically an i-Load with extra windows and seats. I felt solid and drove well, but was pretty damn gutless. Petrol & auto. I'd go a diesel - torque is way more important in a cargo van.

I also had an i-30 as a rental car recently in Brisbane, and have had a Holden Epica previously. To this day, I have yet to drive an inspiring or memorable Korean car.
Old 22-12-2009, 05:57 PM   #21
Sloth

I've also had a drive of a i-Load (called an H1 here). Well equipped, very comfortable and in diesel form they go quite hard.

The only real downside is the load space is smaller due to being front engined and the side door opening space is quite narrow - in those areas the Hiace is better.
Old 22-12-2009, 06:26 PM   #22
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've had a VW T5 for 2.5 years and just clicked over 75,000km today. It works hard however I think it's the best driving van on the market. 128kw/400Nm 6sp auto, tows 2 tonnes, 6 airbags, ESP, insurance is under $1000 and while servicing is not cheap the dealer has looked after me with free loan vehicles, etc.. I regularly carry a 700-900kg load with a trailer also carrying over 1000kg so can have a GVM sometimes near 4.5 tonnes and still average 750-800km per tank of diesel. It's the luxury mobile of vans but has the strength to take it when loaded. No creaks or groans when going over un-even paths while fully loaded. In fact I have to back off on the freeway as it cruises when fully loaded over 100km/hr too easily. And it's the only 1 tonne van still made in Germany. Next year comes the update with AWD 7 speed DSG option...and I'm there...

The Iload would be my next buy however the VW is car-like in driving and more durable then a Merc Vito.
Dr Smith is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 07:03 PM   #23
dsyfer

I can highly recommend Fiat Ducato vans, I have had a high roof one for nearly two years, 2.3 turbo diesel, 6 speed, over six foot in internal height, and the best is it's brilliant to drive and very economical, factory recommended service intervals of 40,000kms.
dsyfer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 07:14 PM   #24
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Stay away from Transits like the plague. Dead turbos, destroyed gearboxes, dodgy EGR valves. You name it, it'll go wrong. All in under 100,000km's too.

VW Crafters are no better, just fyi.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 07:49 PM   #25
4VCLEVO
XA GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
I've had a VW T5 for 2.5 years and just clicked over 75,000km today. It works hard however I think it's the best driving van on the market. 128kw/400Nm 6sp auto, tows 2 tonnes, 6 airbags, ESP, insurance is under $1000 and while servicing is not cheap the dealer has looked after me with free loan vehicles, etc.. I regularly carry a 700-900kg load with a trailer also carrying over 1000kg so can have a GVM sometimes near 4.5 tonnes and still average 750-800km per tank of diesel. It's the luxury mobile of vans but has the strength to take it when loaded. No creaks or groans when going over un-even paths while fully loaded. In fact I have to back off on the freeway as it cruises when fully loaded over 100km/hr too easily. And it's the only 1 tonne van still made in Germany. Next year comes the update with AWD 7 speed DSG option...and I'm there...

The Iload would be my next buy however the VW is car-like in driving and more durable then a Merc Vito.
Fuel consumption looks pretty good. My '03 hiace (petrol) was put over the weigh bridge at 2400kg and gets 15-16L per 100km or 420km to a tank and with a 1500kg sisorlift on a trailer it pushes fuel consumption up to 22L/100km.
Old 22-12-2009, 10:29 PM   #26
4VCLEVO
XA GT

I was just checking out the specs on the iLoad, the engine power and torque of the turbo diesel is very good at 125kw@3800 and 392Nm@2000-2500 and has a good tow cap of 2000kg but it weighs in at a hefty 2084kg.
Old 22-12-2009, 11:38 PM   #27
russxr67
I hate ricers

It is heavy but that is where the extra torque of the diesel shines. In petrol form it almost seemed sluggish until you had the engine working and was more in the rpm band .

More expensive in the diesel version by some 4k but worth it imho. I am still working on the dealer pricing atm . At first they were reluctant to move from the base price of $33490 saying that the margin was nominal even at that figure but with salesman it is a little hard to tell whether they are full of it or not.

I currently have them at $32200 and they reckon they have no room to move from there.

I have given up on the trade in side as well as my Tojo van is only worth 3k (according to them)as a trade . I will just have to sell that privately. Redbook states that the Tojo is still worth around 6k.
Old 22-12-2009, 11:47 PM   #28
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
They cant be too bad for servicing cost or Aus post wouldnt use them.
Yeah but they run transits too so that means nothing.

So will it be commerical use? Does the warranty cover that?

Why not buy the toyota (apart from price, which if it's a business vehicle is a write off anyway)? Everyone knows toyota make the most reliable products, if it were me i'd be hard pressed to go past them.
Old 23-12-2009, 12:00 AM   #29
russxr67
I hate ricers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware

Why not buy the toyota (apart from price, which if it's a business vehicle is a write off anyway)? Everyone knows toyota make the most reliable products, if it were me i'd be hard pressed to go past them.

Reliabilty aside the Toyota is now competing against a new player in the van market that seems to have it trumped in just about every department.

I am not buying on cost alone ,if that was the case then there are other choices out there to consider. I have also taken into consideration other factors such as driveabilty,engine power and fuel consumption,warranty ,roadside assistance etc. Add all of those up and the fact that the Hyundai is some 8k cheaper then it becomes a serious contender.

The facts are that Hyundai is still perceived as a company which produces cheap,unrelaible cars for the masses but the reality is that the company has leapfrogged the competition in recent years. A fair bit of their product have won awards ( the i30 and i load are two) in their sector.
Old 23-12-2009, 12:02 AM   #30
4VCLEVO
XA GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware

Toyota don't seem to care about them. They have a label of reliable so they sell them selfs, like the hilux. They are underpowerd, overpriced and underneith its still the same van you were buying more than 20years ago. There towing cap is well down too.