Old 21-10-2009, 11:46 AM   #1
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default EcoBoost Edge for Ford same as what the falcon will have

taken from http://ninemsn.carpoint.com.au/news/...for-ford-17099

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpoint
EcoBoost Edge for Ford

American SUV to be powered by the same EcoBoost four-cylinder locked in for Falcon
Ford's Edge crossover SUV will be updated for the 2011 model year with the same EcoBoost 2.0-litre engine that Ford Australia plans to offer buyers in the Falcon.

The American vehicle is wider than the Aussie-built Territory SUV, but not as long and is currently equipped with a 3.5-litre V6. This disguised vehicle was spotted while testing and appears to be a facelift rather than an altogether new model.

According to master spy photographers, Carparazzi, the Edge should muster around 170kW of power and 325Nm of torque from the direct-injected and turbocharged four-cylinder powerplant. Those seem like pretty good figures for Falcon too, when the locally-built sedan is introduced with the same engine sometime in 2011.

Being a large sedan, the Falcon can't afford to go to light on output for the sake of fuel efficiency, but nor can it present a better alternative to the existing inline six -- soon to be upgraded to Euro 4 compliance -- for power and torque.

The Edge, being a 2011 model, will likely reach American showrooms late in 2010, perhaps as much as 12 months or more ahead of the similarly-powered Falcon. Where the Edge will differ from the Falcon in the application of the EcoBoost engine resides in the mounting of the powertrain. In the Edge, the engine runs transversely and drives the front wheels primarily. The Falcon, as already reported, will run the engine longitudinally.
sounds good in my books if it can move an SUV it shouldn't have much probs with the falcon

thoughts??

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2009, 12:08 PM   #2
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

It'll be a bit of a slug with only 325Nm of torque in an 1800+kg car.

To put that in perspective, an e-series XR8 with the 165kW, 388Nm 5.0 Windsor were quite slow, and they weigh a couple of hundred kilos less.

They will have to rely on short ratios in the gearbox and final drive in order to keep the EcoBoost Falcon from feeling underpowered. The trade off for that is compromised fuel consumption, which defeats the whole point.

Hopefully by the time the EcoBoost is released in the Falcon, they have pulled some weight out of it.

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
kircher

If they put in some good gear ratios, then it should get up and move. The standard 2.73:1 diff ratio surely wouldn't help it off the line. With 6 speed and wide ratios, it should be alright for performance and fuel.
kircher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2009, 12:29 PM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Are the Mercedes C class supercharged 4's comparable weight to the Falcon with a I4T?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2009, 12:42 PM   #5
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Are the Mercedes C class supercharged 4's comparable weight to the Falcon with a I4T?
C class kerb weight is 1490kg, gross weight is 1975kg.

The most powerful 4 cylinder is the 135kW 1.8 16V M271 Petrol Engine, or the 150kW 2.1 16V OM651 twin turbo CDI Diesel.

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2009, 02:09 PM   #6
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen
It'll be a bit of a slug with only 325Nm of torque in an 1800+kg car.....
It really all depends on where in the rev range (and the gearing used) that the torque is produced. Quoting peak power (kW) and torque (Nm) figures is all pretty meaningless unless all you want to do is impress your mates. I'd like to see a graphs of kW and Nm vs rpm rather than be quoted peak figures.

My tezza produces a peak of 380Nm torque but it's very rare that i'll be revving the engine to 5000rpm where that's produced.
Old 21-10-2009, 02:16 PM   #7
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
It really all depends on where in the rev range (and the gearing used) that the torque is produced. Quoting peak power (kW) and torque (Nm) figures is all pretty meaningless unless all you want to do is impress your mates. I'd like to see a graphs of kW and Nm vs rpm rather than be quoted peak figures.

My tezza produces a peak of 380Nm torque but it's very rare that i'll be revving the engine to 5000rpm where that's produced.
Actually depending on your model Raptor it probably makes that 380 somewhere between 2500-3500 RPM. This low down torque is as much as secret of the tractability of the I6 as the actual 380 value.

It is difficutl to make much in the way of prediction about the I4T engine in falcon based of these 'rumoured' numbers because this is installed east-west in a AWD SUV...not North South in a RWD sedan. Also the power/torque values will have to fit in with the edge line up, which uses a less powerful 3.5 V6 as it standard motor, not the more poweful I6 we have here.

I don't doubt the engine wil do the job in the aussie falcon. The comparison made to a EL XR8 is a bit miisleading frankly. To show you what modern gearing/tuning can achieve look at the new 'SIDI' 3.0 commodore. It has a very paltry 290n of torque, but with 6sp when compared to the old alloytec base omega with 320nm it is atcually about the same in terms of acceleration, if a little better in terms of driveability.

Its too early to get too concerned...best guesses would have the aussie version making 170-180kw and 340-350nm, from about 2000RPM at worst. That is more than enough i'd say.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2009, 02:25 PM   #8
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Actually depending on your model Raptor it probably makes that 380 somewhere between 2500-3500 RPM.....
You are indeed correct Swordsman ;)

I quickly googled that and it seemed rather high when I typed it. 5000rpm is where the peak power of 182 kW is made, the torque peak being at a much lower and thus more usable 3250rpm according to the Ford release.
Old 21-10-2009, 02:35 PM   #9
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder how the photographers were able to estimate the power and Torque

Those cameras sure make the dynamometer seem dated
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2009, 02:38 PM   #10
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen
It'll be a bit of a slug with only 325Nm of torque in an 1800+kg car.

To put that in perspective, an e-series XR8 with the 165kW, 388Nm 5.0 Windsor were quite slow, and they weigh a couple of hundred kilos less.

They will have to rely on short ratios in the gearbox and final drive in order to keep the EcoBoost Falcon from feeling underpowered. The trade off for that is compromised fuel consumption, which defeats the whole point.

Hopefully by the time the EcoBoost is released in the Falcon, they have pulled some weight out of it.
From a previous post in another thread:

Another interesting Ecoboost article:

Ford Officially Confirms Four Cylinder EcoBoost Engine
by George Delozier

Ford's EcoBoost engine has gained quite a bit of popularity since first being introduced. Offering performance comparable to that of a V8 while also returning fuel economy more akin to an inline four engine, what's not to love? Now, Ford has decided to expand on the EcoBoost line by including a four cylinder version that will not only provide outstanding fuel economy, but also offer a sport oriented powerplant for many small vehicles.

The current 3.5 liter EcoBoost engine is nothing short of an engineering masterpiece. Thanks to direct injection and z pair of quick spooling turbochargers, the 3.5 liter V6 is able to crank out 365 horsepower and 350lb/ft of torque. While these numbers are impressive, what makes the engine even more appealing is the latter of these two figures being available between 1500rpm and 6000rpm. All this is available while returning 25 miles per gallon on the highway and 18 in the city.

For the 2.0 liter EcoBoost inline-4 powerplant, Ford has promised at least 230 horsepower and 240lb/ft of torque. Once again, the engine will be designed to provide the maximum amount of torque over a broad range without sacrificing fuel economy. Ford engineers have also outfitted the engine with a Twin Independent Variable Cam Timing (Ti-VCT).

Unlike some current cam timing adjustment systems that will change both the intake and exhaust sides at the same time, the Ti-VCT system will allow for independent changes to occur. When combined, the EcoBoost system and Ti-VCT equate to a 10%-20% improvement in fuel economy when put side-by-side with similarly performing V6 engines. The 2.0 liter EcoBoost engine will be the first in the EcoBoost family to feature the Ti-VCT system and will likely act as a test bed for the technology.

Ford is planning on using the new 2.0 liter EcoBoost engine to replace many of their current V6 drivetrains, such as the 3.0 liter being used in several models. While there was no official word as to what would get the new EcoBoost, there are definitely many candidates for the powerful little turbo-4.

Full article with output curve graphs:
http://inventorspot.com/articles/fo..._en gine_30576

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Chilliman : 06-08-09 at 12:36 AM.

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2009, 02:50 PM   #11
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

I have an Audi A4 with the 1.8 Turbo and although the car is only 1495kg it performs and drives very well, mainly due to the CVT. This engine is a little more powerful and has a lot more torque so as long as they dial the 6spd transmission in correctly I think it will actually suit most peoples needs. It certainly wont be a road rocket but it wont be a shocker either.

The 1.8T also returns 7.2lt / 100k in real life (daily driver) and can get down to as low as 5.2 on the open road......so I think the EcoBoost engines will tick enough boxes to keep most people happy.